• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
scorcho said:
that's a personal decision. the more irresponsible action, and one that has ramifications for this country, was McCain's reckless pick for a running mate.
masud said:
Yeah it's a personal decision that makes me think less of her as a person. Palin was a rising star in the GOP before McCain picked her. Her career would have been fine, she could have waited (especially. since this campaign is doomed to failure anyway)
I agree with masud. She chose political gain over the shitstorm that she had to have known would hit her daughter. That's a selfish decision for a mother to make. And I think it was a poor political decision for her to put the Republican nominee through it, also. From the McCain camp's statements, it really doesn't sound like she told them about it before accepting the offer. Maybe the staff didn't explicitly ask her about potential problems, but that points to a further dysfunction of the campaign.

And I actually like Palin. I think she unqualified now, and has made some political missteps, but I don't think she's inherently corrupt. You still earn political cred for having been asked. If she completed her term, and ran for reelection or for the Senate, she would be a very formidable choice for 2012.

I feel sorry for kids right now, who are going to reflect badly on their parents who have such high aspirations, or themselves when they yearn for lofty goals, when their MySpace pages and AIM chatlogs become political fodder.

I am not sure if that spot on her face is a microphone or some budding evil appendage you get when you join the cult of christian fascism.

Gruco said:
Just to keep the Palin circus in perspective, remember:

Dubs was a cokehead with a DUI whose entire list of professional achievements consisted of drilling empty holes and bankrupting like 75 different oil companies, and acting as a front man for a baseball team.

And he was at the top of the ticket.

And won.

twice

Yeah, I need a drink.

Yeah . . . that turned out really well. Let's do it again!

Dartastic

Stoney Mason said:
Perhaps unfortunately libel cases are difficult to win in America because the statement must have been published knowing it to be false or with reckless disregard to its truth, (also known as actual malice) which is very difficult to prove from what I've always been told. The laws are different in England where I hear it is easier to win a case on that issue.

And with that I'm going to bed. Very entertaining day. ;)

Hence why I wonder if it's possible at all. =/

Jak140

Schattenjagger said:
what else is there?

troopergate?

Let's start with the troopergate ethics violation investigation and then move on to the fact that she has zero foreign policy experience, she left the town of 8,000 she was mayor of $20 million in debt, she was a member of the Anti-American Alaskan Independence party and addressed them as governor in 2008, she laughed at a cancer surviving senator being called a "bitch" and a "cancer," her lie about not supporting the bridge to nowhere when in reality she supported it until she realized Alaska would have to pay for some of it and it wouldn't be a federal government handout, and the clincher--the fact that John McCain only met her once before choosing her as his VP.

How does it reflect on McCain's judgment if he chose a VP who is under ethics investigation and whom he only met once before picking her? Even if she does turn out to be innocent, there is no way for McCain to know that, yet he chose to put our country at the risk of having a corrupt VP elected into office.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fragamemnon said:
I am not sure if that spot on her face is a microphone or some budding evil appendage you get when you join the cult of christian fascism.
"Christofascism" sounds cooler.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Tyrone Slothrop said:
this.

where is everybody getting vp replacement from?? pfft.

If I had to guess, I would guess that she'll go all the way. However, the fact that we, internet scum, the media general, and GOP strategists are all discussing this, is an event in itself.

After eight years of eating Neocon bullshit, believe me, I am ready to enjoy this delicious sorbet, even if there's no main course to follow.

Macam

Banned
Dartastic said:
Damn. :lol

Also, when are The Daily Show and Colbert coming back? This is just WAY too chock full of comedy gold, and I miss them. =(

They're already back. They both ran episodes from Tuesday through Friday of last week. Check the sites or Hulu.com.

As for Carville, in all of his appearances on Meet the Press over this past year, that was probably the first time he put forth some valid points. Olympia Snowe is certainly a better alternative than the other Republican female name that gets tossed around, Kay Bailey Hutchinson.

We're supposed to be for women's rights, so I don't think it's cool to bash her daughter's pregnancy. It's her choice as a woman, she can do whatever she wants really. And besides, that's her family, we really should leave them alone.

I think we should get back on Palin's qualifications.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Jak140 said:
Let's start with the troopergate ethics violation investigation and then move on to the fact that she has zero foreign policy experience, she left the town of 8,000 she was mayor of $20 million in debt, she was a member of the Anti-American Alaskan Independence party and addressed them as governor in 2008, she laughed at a cancer surviving senator being called a "bitch" and a "cancer," her lie about not supporting the bridge to nowhere when in reality she supported it until she realized Alaska would have to pay for some of it and it wouldn't be a federal government handout, and the clincher--the fact that John McCain only met her once before choosing her as his VP.

How does it reflect on McCain's judgment if he chose a VP who is under ethics investigation and whom he only met once before picking her? Even if she does turn out to be innocent, there is no way for McCain to know that, yet he chose to put our country at the risk of having a corrupt VP elected into office.
you seem to be reaching a little bit..
like i said earlier - do not underestimate the GOP strategists..from what i understand, McCain wanted Lieberman or Romney

didnt Biden have some sort of scandal with Countrywide or something??

Hitokage said:
"Christofascism" sounds cooler.

true, but it sounds like "islamofascism" which thanks to dudes like Michael Weiner is totally overplayed at this point. There's also no ambiguity to it-they are totalitarians serving their interpretations of Christ's teachings and prayer-divined instructions.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Ironically, the two most qualified VP candidates that McCain wanted (Lieberman or Ridge) were rejected by the party because they had centrist views on abortion rights.

We still have a ways to go, but its funny to see what a party that wins by using irrelevant social wedge issues does to secure its more and more irrelevant base. The Right will soon find, as they are starting to already, that the Christian Conservative base is not nearly as well-knit and homogeneous as they would have you believe.

If you pick a candidate for all the wrong reasons (secure the base!), you potentially alienate the middle of the pack voters that vote based on important things, like economic policy and foreign relations.

Dartastic

Macam said:
They're already back. They both ran episodes from Tuesday through Friday of last week. Check the sites or Hulu.com.

I saw those, but I thought they were taking a break due to the delay of the RNC or something. Did they have an episode tonight?

laserbeam

Banned
speculawyer said:
Actually, it is closer to 1/10 that about. As of 2003, the number of girls UNDER 18 that gave birth was about 140,000

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/2006/09/12/USTPstats.pdf

Do you just make this shit up like ComputerNerd?
It was just on the news 30 minutes ago that at least 750,000 teen births will occur this year. Page 16 of that report regarding Teen Pregnancies
Non-Hispanic white Black Hispanic
U.S. totals 346,980 235,650 204,980

Thats 787,610 in 2006

Jak140

Schattenjagger said:
you seem to be reaching a little bit..
like i said earlier - do not underestimate the GOP strategists..from what i understand, McCain wanted Lieberman or Romney

didnt Biden have some sort of scandal with Countrywide or something??

Dude, picking a VP with no foreign policy experience, who doesn't even have a position on Iraq, that you've met once is reckless, period. Picking one that could be indicted days before the election is downright irresponsible.

McCain is running to be President, the thought of someone who makes decisions like this getting anywhere near the highest office in the land is scary.

laserbeam said:
It was just on the news 30 minutes ago that at least 750,000 teen births will occur this year
750,000 got rounded up to 1 million? I see.

750,000 is 'teen' pregnancy which is up to 19 . . . that's why I emphasized 'UNDER 18'. (Your post said 'underaged' and that is generally viewed as 18 in this country since that is when you can vote & join the military.)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That girl in the bottom right in the CNN video could get bukkaked live on CNN and still have that dumb smile on her face.

TheGrayGhost said:
Where did he hold up the picture?

cityhalltf5.jpg

Can somebody please photoshop the text Owned! on that pic so I can use it in any thread. Thx. :D

Stinkles

Ether_Snake said:
That girl in the bottom right in the CNN video could get bukkaked live on CNN and still have that dumb smile on her face.

I don't like it when she pulses her eyes. Seriously, watch. She pulses them V total. She's thinking about a white, juicy lab rat.

Ether_Snake said:

I hated her and felt sorry for her all at once. it must suck to have your job be to bald-faced lie like that.

Stinkles

Ignatz Mouse said:
I hated her and felt sorry for her all at once. it must suck to have your job be to bald-faced lie like that.

That's the thing. There is no statute that says you should lie to uphold the party line. I have much more respect for politicians who can just suck it up and admit things aren't all sunshine and roses all the time. The truth isn't a collection of things you admit. It's the truth.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Fatalah said:
So it's clear to me that the Republican memo to all their mouth pieces is to accuse the democrats of being sexist if Palin is attacked. Wow, I didn't think it would happen THIS fast.
Shit, I called this outright, days ago. Before pulling King_Slender's punk card afterwards.

Today's events have played out even better than I ever could have hoped. Gustav dials down and the Repubs are in complete disarray. Thank you, Lord.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Stoney Mason said:
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5323/cityhalltf5.jpg[IMG]

Can somebody please photoshop the text Owned! on that pic so I can use it in any thread. Thx. :D[/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa18/killthee/GAF/Carvowned-1.jpg

If you'd like another font/different placement, post and I'll change it.

Hitokage said:

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom