• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
art.obamaanderson.gi.jpg

319098225_e3fb99541f.jpg

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
The bulk of Thompson's speech will be a testimonial on behalf of John McCain, his character and his leadership. John McCain has "the kind of character that civilizations from the beginning of history have sought in their leaders."

Riiiight...

Here's the reality: Palin is a rightwing-Christian anti-choice extremist who opposes abortion for any reason wha[t]soever, except to save the life of the girl or woman. No exception even for rape, incest, or the health of the woman. No exception for a ten-year-old, a woman carrying a fetus with no chance of life, a woman on the edge of suicide -- let alone the woman who is not ready to be a parent, who is escaping domestic violence, who is already stretched to the limit as a single mother. She wants to force over one million women and girls a year to give birth against their will and judgment. She wants to use the magnificent freedom the women's movement has won for her at tremendous cost and struggle - -the movement that won her the right to run those marathons and run Alaska -- to take away the freedom of every other woman in the country.
http://www.thenation.com/blogs/anotherthing/351330

*claps*

ronito

So it's come to it.

Republicans seeing they can't hide behind terrorism now are hiding behind abortion. Sad thing is it might just work.

harSon

Banned
lopaz said:
I don't get this. People always say it was out of context, but it was pretty unequivocal.

Editing 'Really' out of "For the First Time in My Adult Lifetime, I Am Really Proud of My Country" happens to change the meaning of the statement quite a bit.

GhaleonEB

syllogism said:
This will probably be a common theme

Obamas responded: "Well, I think that whether you are looking at it from a theological perspective or a scientific perspective, answering that question with specificity, you know, is above my pay grade."
Um. Wasn't he referring to God in that response?

I really want to see some behind the scenes discussions between some of the (R) defending Palin on TV. It must be hilarious watching these folks behind closed doors try to defend her and how they react out of the spotlight.

syllogism said:
This will probably be a common theme

If she has small town values, why did she almost get forced out of her position as mayor?

GhaleonEB said:
That's my theory. His dem convention strategy was to play off the wedge between Obama and Clinton supporters. When it was clear the party was unifying, he doubled down on trying to snag the women's vote.
In other words he was being extremely impetuous.

RiZ III

Gaborn said:
Sure, but we're talking about GAF's reaction to stories on Michelle Obama compared to Todd Palin

One said something dumb during a speech which was obviously a badly/stupidly worded sentence and the other joined a party completly anti-American. There is nothing to compare here.

Tobor

Dax01 said:
If she has small town values, why did she almost get forced out of her position as mayor?

In other words he was being extremely impetuous.

In other words, he was being John McCain.

Gaborn

harSon said:
Editing 'Really' out of "For the First Time in My Adult Lifetime, I Am Really Proud of My Country" happens to change the meaning of the statement quite a bit.

ummmm... no it doesn't.

ronito said:
So it's come to it.

Republicans seeing they can't hide behind terrorism now are hiding behind abortion. Sad thing is it might just work.

Terrorism is something that works nearly everywhere, whereas the majority of the country believes abortion should remain legal. If anything it'll further excite the base at the expense of independents

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Can't wait for Rudy 9/11!!! Guliani to comment on Palin. The cognitive dissonance in how she explains why she's ready for the job should be incredible to see.

Zeliard

ronito said:
So it's come to it.

"So it’s not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

- Barack Obama

It's sad that those statements were so controversial when they're based fully in reality.

who opposes abortion for any reason wha[t]soever, except to save the life of the girl or woman. No exception even for rape, incest, or the health of the woman.

Seems contradictory to me....?

By the way, I would venture to guess *most* people who are pro-life do not support abortions in the case of rape or incest. This isn't something new here.

Barrett2

Gaborn said:
ummmm... no it doesn't.

ummmm, it obviously does. It changes Michelle's statement from a distinction in kind to a distinction of degree. It obviously has a large qualitative difference.

For example: "I am really hungry for the first time in my life" is clearly different from "I am hungry for the first time in my life."

ronito

Gaborn said:
apparently Todd Palin was a member of AIP, not Sarah, and so now attacking spouses is fair game.
totally agree. It's not like he said he was proud of his country for the first time in a long time or anything like that.

JayDubya

Banned
I'm not sure why that pic is of any interest, yet it keeps getting brought up.

That is the town she grew up in. She lived there. She decided to get involved in local politics and did the whole city council to mayor thing. If this is inherently a bad thing because the town is small, and this is what Democrats choose to harp on and lawl at, I don't see that going so hot for them.

Of course, with the other scandal and backlash elements in play, it probably won't matter anyway.

Evlar

Banned
Gaborn said:
apparently Todd Palin was a member of AIP, not Sarah, and so now attacking spouses is fair game.
Really? We have confirmation Sarah Palin was never a member? And we can't express any reservations with a nominee that attended and even delivered a speech at the conventions of a party advocating secession of her state?

:lol

Dave Barry said:
And now the eyeballs of the nation turn to this quintessentially Middle American or possibly southern Canadian city, where in the next few days, weather permitting, the Republicans will answer the Democratic Party's call for change by sounding, loud and clear, their own bold campaign theme for 2008: 'What, YOU Never Made a Mistake?

Gaborn said:

If you can't draw parallels between him being in the AIP and Michelle Obama with her "really proud of my country" spiel then I can't help you.

Gaborn

lawblob said:
ummmm, it obviously does. It changes Michelle's statement from a distinction in kind to a distinction of degree. It obviously has a large qualitative difference.

For example: "I am really hungry for the first time in my life" is clearly different from "I am hungry for the first time in my life."

Ok, but it would sound better if she hadn't changed it after someone obviously told her that she sounded unpatriotic. I don't think this matters, but I think her statement was wrong the first time and she only changed it because someone MADE her change it.

Worldrunover - Whether you can or you can't, I don't think you SHOULD do it. All I'm saying is opening up on one spouse is legitimizing attacks on the other, and if you really think the election should go down that road it's up to you.

JayDubya said:
I'm not sure why that pic is of any interest, yet it keeps getting brought up.

That is the town she grew up in. She lived there. She decided to get involved in local politics and did the whole city council to mayor thing. If this is inherently a bad thing because the town is small, and this is what Democrats choose to harp on and lawl at, I don't see that going so hot for them.

Of course, with the other scandal and backlash elements in play, it probably won't matter anyway.

When people are being force fed how much "experience" Palin has by GOP talking points, it's completely fair to bring up that she comes from a town the size of a postage stamp with a city hall that looks like a Wawa.

Gaborn: I personally don't think it should have gone down that road with Michelle, about how her college disertation was about how black women have to rise up against the man, but now that the media and pundits have set the bar, it should be held for each candidate.

syllogism

Item: A CBS News / New York Times poll finds that 48% of Republican delegates support either gay marriage or civil unions for gay people.

That's pretty surprising, but I suppose delegates are very young.

Evlar

Banned
It indicates how bad this is getting for the GOP when revelation that the VP's spouse was a member of a state independence party is considered good news.

Barrett2

Gaborn said:
Ok, but it would sound better if she hadn't changed it after someone obviously told her that she sounded unpatriotic. I don't think this matters, but I think her statement was wrong the first time and she only changed it because someone MADE her change it.

I agree, from a political standpoint it was clearly a stupid thing for her to say. However, none of this would really be at issue if the Republicans hadn't begun the practice of going after candidate's wives. Before Kitty Dukakis, iirc, this shit never happened. For the last 20 years, Republicans have made wives fair game, and we all have to live with it now.

gcubed

Gaborn said:

Worldrunover - Whether you can or you can't, I don't think you SHOULD do it. All I'm saying is opening up on one spouse is legitimizing attacks on the other, and if you really think the election should go down that road it's up to you.

hey, i dont condone or agree with dirty shit that has been prevelant in the last 3 elections, but to play devils advocate...

isnt it already too late?

harSon

Banned
lopaz said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGjR81pFJI4

Two different speeches. Watch the first one, I can't see any sign of editing, can you?

Never knew there was two speeches :O Doesn't really change the fact that it was taken out of context, the clip sounds a whole lot more edgy and radical when cutting out the statements preceding and following the sound byte in question. Maybe it was a slip of the tongue? But that is not my point, there is a clear difference between a poor choice of words and allegedly joining some radical separatist group.

Gaborn

lawblob said:
I agree, from a political standpoint it was clearly a stupid thing for her to say. However, none of this would really be at issue if the Republicans hadn't begun the practice of going after candidate's wives. Before Kitty Dukakis, iirc, this shit never happened. For the last 20 years, Republicans have made wives fair game, and we all have to live with it now.

As I said, if that's the way you want it, I'm just surprised (well, ok, not really) that it's happening now after GAF protested when people attacked Michelle Obama.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
This just in - You can now determine the importance of what goes on in a structure by examining it's relative size! :lol

ronito

Gaborn said:
As I said, if that's the way you want it, I'm just surprised (well, ok, not really) that it's happening now after GAF protested when people attacked Michelle Obama.
and yet they went after her. So is it really surprising that when no quarter was given then to expect quarter now is a little silly?

CharlieDigital said:
I really want to see some behind the scenes discussions between some of the (R) defending Palin on TV. It must be hilarious watching these folks behind closed doors try to defend her and how they react out of the spotlight.
I've got to hand it to some of the reporters in the interviews . . . in many of these interviews I would be unable to stop from bursting out laughing as they rationalize her 'experience' or her 'foreign relations' (Hey . . . Alaska borders Russia! :lol )

Gaborn said:
No, the Republicans & MSM made it fair game to attack spouses, when they did it to Michelle Obama (as they did to Hillary Clinton before her). I don't condone it, but that's how they're playing "the game" these days. At least Obama is speaking out against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom