• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

ronito said:
and yet they went after her. So is it really surprising that when no quarter was given then to expect quarter now is a little silly?

Yes and no, it's surprising in the sense that it doesn't make sense to ask for civility when you didn't give any (I wasn't one that was attacking Michelle Obama over the issue and I only mentioned it in this thread to make the point that we don't need this kind of crap), it's not surprising in that people in politics often have double standards.

One of the Palin memes that seems like it possibly could help her is the 'reformer' meme. The fact that she 'took on her party' over corruption. Etc.

But then when you think about it . . . it makes very little sense. Have we sunk so low that 'not being corrupt' is something we are going to give credit for?!? Hey . . . Palin's great because she is not corrupt! Wat? Now granted, this is a step up for many in the GOP, this is really not anything to be proud about. It's like that that Chris Rock comic bit about bragging black guys who say "Hey . . . I take care of my kids. Uh . . . so? YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR KIDS!"

ronito

Gaborn said:
Yes and no, it's surprising in the sense that it doesn't make sense to ask for civility when you didn't give any (I wasn't one that was attacking Michelle Obama over the issue and I only mentioned it in this thread to make the point that we don't need this kind of crap), it's not surprising in that people in politics often have double standards.
There's a rule to live by.

Do unto others as you'd have done unto you. Until they do unto you. In which case...fool me once shame on you fool me twice, you can't get fooled again!

Also. It's probably not just her husband
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/another-aip-off.html
But another former AIP official -- Mark Chryson, chairman of the AIP from 1995 to 2002 -- tells ABC News that "Palin was at the convention in 1994. She was there."

Was she a member?

Chryson can’t say. "She may have been, I do not know," he says. Their records don't go back that far.

"Ask Sarah," he suggests.

Gaborn

ronito said:
There's a rule to live by.

Do unto others as you'd have done unto you. Until they do unto you. In which case...fool me once shame on you fool me twice, you can't get fooled again!

Also. It's probably not just her husband
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/another-aip-off.html

Again though, he has no idea. It'd make sense for her to attend the convention if her husband was a member but there's no indication she was a member herself and until you have EVIDENCE otherwise it's probably not wise to continue to push that falsehood.

Gaborn said:
Again though, he has no idea. It'd make sense for her to attend the convention if her husband was a member but there's no indication she was a member herself and until you have EVIDENCE otherwise it's probably not wise to continue to push that falsehood.

No

I would NEVER go to a political convention with views that were so radical and outrageous compared to my own

Thats like if I was married to a Quebec sovereigntist and went to the PQ convention where they bashed Canada non-stop just cause I was a spouse

Uhh no

guess

BigJonsson said:
No

I would NEVER go to a political convention with views that were so radical and outrageous compared to my own

Thats like if I was married to a Quebec sovereigntist and went to the PQ convention where they bashed Canada non-stop just cause I was a spouse

Uhh no

most likely, you would never marry that person. right

GhaleonEB

From TPM:

If he can't stand up to Larry King, how can he stand up to ... well, anybody.

After Campbell Brown's interview with McCain's spokesman Tucker Bounds last night, McCain is pulling out of an interview tonight with Larry King.

We'll have more shortly.
Bailing out of interviews during the convention? :lol

Evlar

Banned
Am I crazy or didn't I read she attended one of their conventions while governor and gave a speech? Did I dream that?

And is this the sort of thing you expect a politician to do just because she was hanging out with her husband?

GhaleonEB

Evlar said:
Am I crazy or didn't I read she attended one of their conventions while governor and gave a speech? Did I dream that?

And is this the sort of thing you expect a politician to do just because she was hanging out with her husband?
She sent them a brief video message this year during their convention. It's on youtube.

Tim-E

:lol :lol :lol Apparently Ohio, Florida, and New York have rejected Obama because he lost to Hillary there in the primaries, according to Giuliani.

Oh no! Will Obama win New York!?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Mccain dropped out of a Larry King interview? Does he also avoid stepping on ant hills when travels by foot? This man was POW! Larry King? Diddy, make sense of all this:

9k01vd.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Don't ever, ever watch Larry King. Just wait for him to die.

I watch him whenever he gets Bill Maher on, since Larry King basically sits there and allows Bill to horribly offend most of his viewing audience without so much as a passing gesture that he is still alive.

Tim-E said:
:lol :lol :lol Apparently Ohio, Florida, and New York have rejected Obama because he lost to Hillary there in the primaries, according to Giuliani.

Oh no! Will Obama win New York!?

You mean my vote might actually count?!

Where can I see this gold miney speech of gold mines?

Fatalah

bob_arctor said:
Details, please!

Brokaw used the same points Carville did last night on Larry King to make the case that Palin is not MORE experienced than Obama.

Obama garnered 18 million votes, and went through tons of debates, and months of scrutiny.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Fatalah said:
Brokaw used the same points Carville did last night on Larry King to make the case that Palin is not MORE experienced than Obama.

Obama garnered 18 million votes, and went through tons of debates, and months of scrutiny.

Ah, the ole "Common Fuckin' Sense" tactic. Been a while.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Amir0x said:
I watch him whenever he gets Bill Maher on, since Larry King basically sits there and allows Bill to horribly offend most of his viewing audience without so much as a passing gesture that he is still alive.

When Maher was on the other week, it was awesome.

As someone living in upstate NY, I'm surprised by the amount of Obama support in upstate, which is usually red in most areas outside cities. There's very strong Obama networks in Onondaga, Tompkins and Broome County which are all near where I live. New York is in vast danger of going red:lol

Really, when Pelosi said polls undercut Obama's ground game advantage, I think she's right. The Obama ground game really is amazing, and will definitely make a difference in November.

Pakkidis

Im Canadian but I find American politics so amazing. Its like a clusterfuck of little children trying to find the smallest fault and then using it against the other party with the entire media/country getting in on the action. I love it.

Gary Whitta said:
Don't ever, ever watch Larry King. Just wait for him to die.

Larry King is actually amazing to watch. His interviews are ludicrous, he's obsessed with UFOs, he's completely incapable of focusing on anything. It's awesome television.

Barrett2

ToyMachine228 said:
As someone living in upstate NY, I'm surprised by the amount of Obama support in upstate, which is usually red in most areas outside cities. There's very strong Obama networks in Onondaga, Tompkins and Broome County which are all near where I live. New York is in vast danger of going red:lol

Hey, I live in Onondaga county!

It's a total shit-hole

But yeah, I too am surprised by the sheer amount of Obama stickers, posters, and yard signs I see everywhere. I don't think the pollsters are really factoring in the massive amount of new voters who actually will go vote for Obama.

Fatalah

speculawyer said:
Do you get the feeling he just wanted to stop and say "Why didn't you just pick me, you idiot?!?!"

Haha, right on! That's exactly what I thought! Especially when Brokaw mentioned the friendship between Rudy and McCain.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Larry King is actually amazing to watch. His interviews are ludicrous, he's obsessed with UFOs, he's completely incapable of focusing on anything. It's awesome television.
He's like that Will Ferrell impression of Harry Carrey.

Fatalah

ToyMachine228 said:

Really, when Pelosi said polls undercut Obama's ground game advantage, I think she's right. The Obama ground game really is amazing, and will definitely make a difference in November.

I'd like to hear more from people like you. Some outside perspective.

Fatalah said:

What the fuck does votes have to do with experience? Fact is, Palin has far more ACCOMPLISHMENTS than Obama, which is a truer measure of 'experience.' Really, what are Obama's accomplishments again, other than being opposed to the Iraq War (note: a stance, not an accomplishement), some vague ethics reform, and being for nuclear containment (aren't we all?).

That being said, I want to give Obama a chance, so please list his ACCOMPLISHMENTS, or at least 2 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom