• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Jon brought up a good point, why wasn't Crist VP?:lol

Chiggs: They'd kinda have to, although at the same time, Republicans are overestimating her, that's kinda the way of things.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Wow @ the new 'she has more administrative/executive experience' than Obama talking point.

By this barometer, can someone give me a list of people that she has more experience than? Wouldn't she beat out BOTH McCain and Biden in this measure of experience? My mind boggles.

gkryhewy

SEGA SAMMY said:
95% of the Earth believe in a higher power. And you would ban and censor that from public institutions. I love when the majority is silenced. But, you let Hilary have it both ways when she Lobbies with the churches.

You really seem to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic, but I'll reply anyway. Neat, I get to use my favorite GIF again. Behold, our national shame:

publicAcceptanceEvolution.jpg

Note that it is quite a leap from "believing in a higher power" to being a batshit willfully ignorant reactionary who wants their peculiar idea of religion taught in the science classroom. That is some madrassa-level bullshit (look it up).

pxleyes

Banned
Tamanon said:
Jon brought up a good point, why wasn't Crist VP?:lol

Chiggs: They'd kinda have to, although at the same time, Republicans are overestimating her, that's kinda the way of things.
ya, I forgot all about Crist...and while I wouldn't want him on the ticket in a million years, he'd be a better pick than Palin.

Rur0ni

Novid said:
That for me shows she is not a pychopath. She doesnt have this egotism i see in the ghetto every day. If she was running for full office I would have placed it down for her. But since im against McCain for many reasons - i cant.

But I see it as thus - I see it as the wrong type of consertivism that you saw over the last 8 years. Thats the consertivism of the pychopath. Sarah Pailn is not one of them.
She's a creationist who wants to teach it in schools. That is the equivalent of psycho.

laserbeam

Banned
Rur0ni said:
She's a creationist who wants to teach it in schools. That is the equivalent of psycho.
lets slow it down. While she does support it being taught in school she has said she would not force it to be taught and it would be up to districts to decide.

Thats alot more moderate than most who would want to force it.

pxleyes

Banned
laserbeam said:
lets slow it down. While she does support it being taught in school she has said she would not force it to be taught and it would be up to districts to decide.

no, in the year 2008 moderate should be accepting creationists for having views of their own but not letting it touch our school system.

tanod

when is my burrito
Zeliard said:
Obama is also raising taxes on upper-income families.

I highly doubt that a person making more than $250,000 a year gives two shits about raising a family.

Frank the Great said:
That's a pretty damn ignorant thing to say...and I support progressive taxation.
I assumed he meant that people in that bracket aren't sweating financially, unless they've made some really unwise choices. Not that they'd trade one of their kids for a proper basement reno to turn into a home theater room.

gkryhewy

laserbeam said:

That is a ridiculous attitude. Why not let some districts decide that girls shouldn't take science or math classes at all?

Novid

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
I said this as a joke this AM on another message board-- and now it's coming out as truth! Good lord, how can this not collapse on itself? How can people continue to watch crap like this? Are people that dumb?

Oh I heard worse...

Chris Matthews said:
I get a tingle up my left leg every time I hear him make a speach

From FNC said:
Barack HussainObama

Mandark said:
Politics is not an RPG. You do not automatically gain experience and level up.

Tell that to those C-Span Callers from last night... (who what a rpg you mean them killin and a shootin blow uppie thingy)

heres the best one:

Ron Paul is a psychopath. He's a libertarian.
Yeah...if not cheating on your wife makes you a psychopath...

laserbeam

Banned
gkrykewy said:
That is a ridiculous attitude. Why not let some districts decide that girls shouldn't take science or math classes at all?
Technically school districts could decide that. It wouldnt stand up in court but they could.

The Point is her personal belief is not being forced on anyone. In fact her comment basically says the status quo is how it goes School Districts decide policies and she will not interfere

Great article on the behind the scenes drama of choosing VPs
Stuart Spencer on George H.W. Bush's selection of Dan Quayle in 1988: Somewhere along the line, [Bush] was going to go with Quayle. He didn't tell [James A.] Baker that. . . . He didn't tell anybody that. I have no argument with his choice, but if you're going to pick a young, totally unknown senator from a state like Indiana, you'd better use the political process to see how it's going to work. . . . [He] should have made sure that Quayle's name was leaked so that it could be bounced around, so that the press could go do their vetting. . . . The first vetting Quayle gets is New Orleans [site of the Republican National Convention], where there are 5,000 animals who don't know who he is and are mad because they hadn't guessed who it could be. . . .

I go to Baker and Bush, and I say, "What do you want me to do with this guy?" By this time, they're in a state of shock. . . . I don't get any good answers. The answers were sort of a shrug: "Do what you want to do."

I looked at them and said, "Okay, I'm going to go out and bury the son of a bitch. We've got 90 days, and all they can do is harm you. He's going to every burg in America. He's not going to any high press level towns. He's going to do nothing." They didn't say no.
. . .

After about 10 to 15 days of that, Quayle figured out what I was doing. . . . I don't lie very much, so when Dan asked me, I told him, ". . .You got off to a bum start, and it's not your fault. But you can't save George Bush. You can't win for George Bush. You can't do anything but be a problem for George Bush unless we do this right."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/30/AR2008053002627.html?sub=AR
[props to Mandark for finding it]

Bush still managed to win in 88 with Quayle, but then again Bush was going to win anyway. McCain doesn't have the advantage of succeeding a popular incumbent so yea, this could backfire. We just might be witnessing history folks

ZeoVGM

Banned
gkrykewy said:
You really seem to be a few sandwiches short of a picnic, but I'll reply anyway. Neat, I get to use my favorite GIF again. Behold, our national shame:

Note that it is quite a leap from "believing in a higher power" to being a batshit willfully ignorant reactionary who wants their peculiar idea of religion taught in the science classroom. That is some madrassa-level bullshit (look it up).

The amount of ownage in this thread is at a level so high, I feel forced to use a gif.

JackYeah.gif

gkryhewy

laserbeam said:
The Point is her personal belief is not being forced on anyone. In fact her comment basically says the status quo is how it goes. School Districts decide policies.

Her personal beliefs are of critical importance when she is potentially the president of the united states. Being a creationist means that she is willfully ignorant, and I think we've had enough of that over the last 8 years.

gkrykewy said:

survey of surveys confirms that America truly is one nation, under God—or at least Americans say it is. In survey after survey, overwhelming majorities say they believe in God. More than nine in 10 Americans—95 percent—told ABC News polltakers that they believe in God. A Gallup Organization survey for CNN and USA Today last December found much the same thing: Nearly nine in 10—86 percent—said they believed in God, while another 8 percent said they believe in some form of "Universal spirit or higher power."

agreed, "Religion should not be be taught as fact in science class, but neither should evolution. You wouldn't need to worry about creationist science sneaking into class if evolution wasn't forced on kids as a statement of fact in schools"

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
believing in God != believing in creationism/intelligent design

edit: so wait, if religion can't be taught in a science class then evolution shouldn't either?

Cheebs

Think of it this way, if McCain wins and dies in office there is no way in hell this girl would ever win the white house on her own. That's a plus...right?

gkryhewy

SEGA SAMMY said:
agreed, "Religion should not be be taught as fact in science class, but neither should evolution. You wouldn't need to worry about creationist science sneaking into class if evolution wasn't forced on kids as a statement of fact in schools"
:lol :lol

I rest my case. If only there were a way to prevent enemies of the fundamental tenets of biological science from benefiting from its medicinal advances.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
SEGA SAMMY said:
survey of surveys confirms that America truly is one nation, under God—or at least Americans say it is. In survey after survey, overwhelming majorities say they believe in God. More than nine in 10 Americans—95 percent—told ABC News polltakers that they believe in God. A Gallup Organization survey for CNN and USA Today last December found much the same thing: Nearly nine in 10—86 percent—said they believed in God, while another 8 percent said they believe in some form of "Universal spirit or higher power."

So something with basis in fact, evidence, and logic... shouldn't be taught in schools unless they have an appropriate counterpoint?

So, we shouldn't teach english literature, unless the school also has an equivalent course in ebonics?

You know, you might have a point. I think schools should offer up more classes in 'Religious Studies'. Creationism can definetly be one of the units taught in that subject.

gkrykewy said:
:lol :lol

I rest my case. If only there were a way to prevent enemies of the fundamental tenets of biological science from benefiting from its medicinal advances.

LOL great! Actually I want all points of view discussed in school. I enjoyed talking Darwin and creationism in class. My atheist friends and I would have some great discourse. When I was a kid I was allowed to. I am not the side advocating censorship.

But modern science is becoming a politically hijacked mess, and scientists who even question things like global warming are black listed and discredited. Where the very nature of science is to question and doubt.

Tamanon

Banned
SEGA SAMMY said:
LOL great! Actually I want all points of view discussed in school. I enjoyed talking Darwin and creationism in class. My atheist friends and I would have some great discourse. When I was a kid I was allowed to. I am not the side advocating censorship.

But modern science is becoming a politically hijacked mess, and scientists who even question things like global warming are black listed and discredited. Where the very nature of science is to question and doubt.

Right, that's why they have theology classes, science generally requires evidence or logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom