• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So, is anybody else gonna play the Giuliani 9/11 drinking game tonight? I would but I don't think I have enough alcohol in my house...

GhaleonEB

syllogism said:
Wow Romney speech sounds awful
It might just be those sound bites, but those are all sweeping generalizations about the evil "liberals" and the great "conservatives". It's the kind of generic attack that is easily dismissed at ultra-partisan rhetoric, "more of the same", etc. by Obama and company.

While Obama and the dems were harsh on McCain and Bush in their convention, they were careful not to slam conservatives in general. Obama struck a post-partisan tone in terms of reaching out to solve problems that affect everyone.

It sounds like the kind of speech that's designed to fire up the base, as was the Palin selection. But as has been pointed out, the GOP base was pretty unified to begin with. Since more people identify themselves as Democrats than Republicans these days, the only way McCain can win is to sway moderate Democrats and undecided voters. Most of the movement in Obama's numbers since the convention and Palin's announcement came from undecideds in the polls. Hyper-partisan grandstanding will just ensure they lose those voters, and the election.

HylianTom

Banned
http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2008/09/mccain_backers_1.html

GOP Party official to reporters: "you can do what you want to do, but we're going to come back at you"

"One of the things I heard from Democrats was how disappointed they were in their own party when Hillary Clinton was a victim of sexist attacks," said Carly Fiorina, chair of the Republican National Committee’s Victory '08 fund, who said that Clinton’s campaign helped to "finely tune women's ears" to such slights. "The Republican Party will not stand by while Sarah Palin is subjected to sexist attacks."

The remarks, made at a press conference at the Xcel Center here hours before Palin was scheduled to address the party's convention, were the latest in a concerted effort by McCain's campaign to paint Palin as a victim of unfair media treatment.

"You can do what you want to do, but we’re going to come back at you,' said Renee Amoore, a Pennsylvania businesswoman and party official, taunted the dozens of reporters in attendance.

Open war with the media.. McCain's biggest constituency? Fun times ahead. Great timing, too, ladies and gents. :lol

laserbeam

Banned
djtiesto said:
So, is anybody else gonna play the Giuliani 9/11 drinking game tonight? I would but I don't think I have enough alcohol in my house...
I dunno im shocked to find they make zero mention of 9/11 on the GOP Convention site bio of Giuliani. They talk upto 1997 about him then nothing

Romney's speech sounds like something out of the 1980s. In fact, that's been a common theme of the entire RNC convention-they seem totally stalled in the 1980s/early 1990s problem set and refuse to talk substantively about the kind of bread and butter issues of 2008.

It's just not good poltiics-they need fresh leadership, fresh ideas, and-to be brutally honest-fresh new punching bags. The entire party seems temporally phased twenty years back right now.

Barrett2

Brannon said:
More rubbing than a 12-year-old that just discovered masturbation. It's ridiculous.

I especially enjoyed the little hand-holding that took place right before McCain moved his hand back up for another bicep rub-down. The whole thing was awkward beyond belief.

Oh well, if McCain were to be elected, impregnating that girl would be the greatest thing this kid could possibly do. He will go to Harvard and then get some cushy lobbying job when he graduates..

Funky Papa said:
Somebody tell me when is the next debate. Palin is gonna get mauled like a good Christian in the coliseum.

October 2nd. She's got about a month to cram. I bet her charm and wit will make her performance almost seem respectable but in the end it should be a sad affair. It'll be interesting if the moderator brings up the bridge fiasco though

adg1034

human5892 said:
CNN: "Yeah but Palin is a MAAAVERRRICKKK!!!!!"

CNN: Palin's maverick trail goes from city hall to gov's mansion

The article itself is a little more balanced than the headline would have you believe, but the headline is all some people will read, sadly.

I just sent them feedback to that end, about how "maverick" has grown to have positive connotations, connotations of approval, and how they really shouldn't be editorializing in their headlines.

djtiesto said:

I was thinking about it -- got quite the supply, I'm just worried I won't be able to pour fast enough.

Brannon

HylianTom said:
http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2008/09/mccain_backers_1.html

GOP Party official to reporters: "you can do what you want to do, but we're going to come back at you"

Open war with the media.. McCain's biggest constituency? Fun times ahead. Great timing, too, ladies and gents. :lol

And just how are they going to do that? The media isn't even focusing on sex! It's all politics! Really bad, poorly thought out political moves BY the GOP!

In the latest sign that Sarah Palin's promised cooperation with the Trooper-Gate investigation is failing to materialize, her lawyer is now demanding that the entire case be taken out of the hands of the independent prosecutor hired by Alaska lawmakers, and given over to a state personnel board -- whose three members were appointed by the governor herself.

Investigate yourself . . . now there is 'reform' you can believe in.

Wow . . . the GOP way: when you are in a hole, KEEP DIGGING!

So they are going to fight the media and the media-savvy Obama campaign?

Pro tip-the "that liberal media" attack only works as an electoral issue when you have an advantage in voter registration and enthusiasm. those dumbfucks have neither.

So Mittens, the Republican party is the party of Big Ideas and the Democrats are the party of Big Brother? SRSLY?

Where have you been?

Fragamemnon said:
So they are going to fight the media and the media-savvy Obama campaign?

Pro tip-the "that liberal media" attack only works as an electoral issue when you have an advantage in voter registration and enthusiasm. those dumbfucks have neither.
Let them keep on digging that huge hole from themselves!

Tamanon

Banned
adg1034 said:
I just sent them feedback to that end, about how "maverick" has grown to have positive connotations, connotations of approval, and how they really shouldn't be editorializing in their headlines.

"John McCain likes to call himself a "maverick", but now all he is trying to be is a runaway from the Bush years he supported wholeheartedly"

polyh3dron said:
So Mittens, the Republican party is the party of Big Ideas and the Democrats are the party of Big Brother? SRSLY?

Where have you been?

Seriously, like I said before it's like they went out and dusted off a speech from the 1984 RNC.

Why the fuck does Palin get praise for keeping a downs syndrome baby that she had when she is in her 40's and wealthy?!?

I'm sure EVERYONE would expect someone with the MEANS to have a kid like that keep them

If she was 18 and poor and had a downs syndrome kid, then it would be a good story

*facepalm*

RiskyChris said:
I was thinking about it -- got quite the supply, I'm just worried I won't be able to pour fast enough.

Official 9/11 Giuliani drinking game apparel:

51IzWnb9iqL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Fragamemnon said:
Seriously, like I said before it's like they went out and dusted off a speech from the 1984 RNC.
There's no way Mittens wrote this speech, he's a little smarter than this.

...actually he's probably depending on the ignorance and cognitive dissonance of his base to make this play well now that I think about it.

Tamanon said:
Just got a fundraising email from Obama and it looks like they're going to roll with the abortion issue, especially since the GOP decided to HARDEN their pro-life stance even more by removing rape and incest from the allowable abortion language.
Uh oh . . . what a stupid move. Ban abortions with some exceptions is somehwere slightly than 50% approval as is . . . . but ban abortions with no exceptions for rape or incest? That is a total loser position. I'd guess less than 30% approval of that position . . . pretty much just the theocrats that still support Bush.

Thank you for that gift out-of-touch GOP and Palin!

laserbeam

Banned
BigJonsson said:
Why the fuck does Palin get praise for keeping a downs syndrome baby that she had when she is in her 40's and wealthy?!?

I'm sure EVERYONE would expect someone with the MEANS to have a kid like that keep them

If she was 18 and poor and had a downs syndrome kid, then it would be a good story

*facepalm*
I think it has to do with the fact people likely including some on this forum believe the baby should have been aborted the moment they found out it wasn't "perfect."

Xisiqomelir

HylianTom said:

I can't think of a better indictment of Carly Fiorina's "business acumen" than the /. victory thread when HP finally gave her the boot. There was also a further series of interviews of a former HP engineer by Tech Review, now pulled from their website after the GOP strategists realised they had a vagina deficit and sought to polish up her image.

laserbeam said:
I think it has to do with the fact people likely including some on this forum believe the baby should have been aborted the moment they found out it wasn't "perfect."

Thats what Republicans want everyone to believe

Barrett2

BotoxAgent said:
I will be avoiding this farce they call a convention and will be playing Mercs 2 instead.

Haha, that's what I did last night. I watched a little bit of it, but it was too depressing, like a fucking Geritol infomercial!

reilo said:
Oh god. Can we taser the 9/11 Truthers?
What a bunch of a-holes. But they do serve a purpose.

When someone like O'Reilly says "far-left" (which he probably does 10 times a show), one should point to those idiots and say they are the far-left. People like Obama, Biden, and Pelosi are centrists.

Wolffen

Mittens said:
“Liberals would replace opportunity with dependency on government largesse. They would grow government and raise taxes

Versus just growing government, and not doing anything for the middle class as the conservatives have since Bush took office?

to put more people on Medicaid, to work requirements out of welfare, and to grow the ranks of those who pay no taxes at all.

"Meanwhile, we're going to destroy Medicaid and make sure the richest 1% of our great nation pay even less in taxes than they did 8 years ago!"

Dependency is death to initiative, risk-taking and opportunity. It’s time to stop the spread of government dependency to fight it like the poison it is! It’s time for the party of big ideas, not the party of Big Brother!”

Um, Mitt, do you remember the Patriot Act? The warrantless wire tapping? Reconsider those and decide which party is the party of Big Brother....

speculawyer said:
Wow . . . awesome 'vetting'. Oh . . . but they said this 'nonsense must stop'. Apparently these are NOT the droids we are looking for.
*Media asks Repubs about AIPgate, DairyGate, EarmarkGate or TrooperGate*
Obiwanmindtrick.JPG

THESE ARE NOT THE GATES YOU ARE LOOKING FOR (directs media to BabyGate)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
laserbeam said:

How big is your ass that you're able to pull this shit out of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom