• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
polyh3dron said:
I remember reading somewhere about someone pointing out how Obama's opposition in every one of his political campaigns has spectacularly crumbled in a completely unbelievable way, almost like there were unknown forces at work. This is now getting to that point.

Obama, the Antichrist confirmed?

Wolffen said:
Please! If SC swings more to the center, I'd be a happy resident. You'd think we would be going blue as much as North Carolina seems to, but not yet, it seems.

NC has a lot of younger people moving into Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham because of "new economy" job growth. It also has some areas totally devastated by manufacturing losses from the same new economy, and has a sizable and rapidly growing Hispanic population.

sangreal

lawblob said:
Mike Murphy and Noonan call Palin's selection "gimmicky bullshit," "embarrassing," "cynical," and "insulting," particularly to all of the other qualified woman he chose Palin over. Noonan says the election is "over." :lol :lol :lol :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrG8w4bb3kg&eurl

Here is the link again for great justice. This is the best thing I have seen all week -- confirmation that it really is GameOver.

Holy shit, didn't Noonan just write an op-ed praising Palin? :lol

lawblob said:
Mike Murphy and Noonan call Palin's selection "gimmicky bullshit," "embarrassing," "cynical," and "insulting," particularly to all of the other qualified woman he chose Palin over. Noonan says the election is "over." :lol :lol :lol :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrG8w4bb3kg&eurl

Here is the link again for great justice. This is the best thing I have seen all week -- confirmation that it really is GameOver.

It really is an awesome/terribly sad clip but I hope this talk of it being "game over" and the idea that we've already won doesn't gain much traction. Obama needs all those new voters - especially the youth vote - and history has shown they won't show up to vote unless there is a sense of urgency.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
In the latest sign that Sarah Palin's promised cooperation with the Trooper-Gate investigation is failing to materialize, her lawyer is now demanding that the entire case be taken out of the hands of the independent prosecutor hired by Alaska lawmakers, and given over to a state personnel board -- whose three members were appointed by the governor herself.

In an unusual "ethics disclosure" filed last night, along with related documents, to the state Attorney General, Palin's lawyer, Thomas Van Flein, asked the personnel board to look into the firing of Walt Monegan, the former public safety commissioner at the center of the case. Van Flein also asked the legislature to drop its own investigation, contending that only the personnel board has jurisdiction over ethics. And he suggested that if the legislature didn't agree to hand the matter over to the personnel board, Palin would not be made available for a deposition.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/palin_wants_independent_troope.php

Jim

mccain-johnston-blog.jpg

"Good job knockin' up that young lady. I'm gonna break your arms."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCPZZb7zHp8&eurl=http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/

I like this bit from First Read.

Fiorina was also asked if Hillary Clinton has ever been subjected to sexist attacks from the Republican Party, to which she said no -- amidst disbelieving chuckles among the press corps. And in an appeal to female voters who might have previously supported Clinton, Fiorina said, “Her run for the presidency was historic,” adding: “People of any political party owe a debt of gratitude to Hillary Clinton.

GhaleonEB

sangreal said:
Holy shit, didn't Noonan just write an op-ed praising Palin? :lol
Yup. And here she calls Palin's selection "political bullshit".

:lol

Edit: the headline for this video over at Kos: Bo-i-o-i-o-i-o-i-o-ing!

syllogism

Mccain ABC interview excerpts

Sarah Palin will be "a spectacular running mate..." Senator McCain lists among Palin's credentials her command of the Alaska National Guard, her understanding of energy issues, and the proximity of her state to Russia.

"I admire and respect Senator Obama...he loves his country." But Senator McCain also calls into question Senator Obama's judgment, and calls Sarah Palin better qualified to be President.

"I'm the luckiest guy you'll ever interview." Sometimes, the GOP standard-bearer says of his good fortune, "I open my eyes and stare in wonderment."

Well at least he remembered his talking points

polyh3dron said:
I remember reading somewhere about someone pointing out how Obama's opposition in every one of his political campaigns has spectacularly crumbled in a completely unbelievable way, almost like there were unknown forces at work. This is now getting to that point.

Magic Jesus strikes again!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
noonan :lol

at least we know she's not delusional in reality, she just pretends for the camera

Stoney Mason said:
It's all spin for that chick. That's how the system works for her to get paid gigs.
Yep many of these Republican strategists are simply paid to spew whatever they get in their morning Republican Talking Points Email.

Amir0x

Banned
so_awes said:
why does he look like a robot? with his arm out like that.

surgery on his shoulder? POW-related?

Yes, POW related. He was tortured so he can't raise his arms beyond a certain point

Tamanon

Banned
Fatalah said:
How famous, in terms of Republican punditry, are Noonan and Murphy?

Where does Noonan get published?

Noonan is pretty big, she's in the WSJ I believe.

Full transcript!

Noonan: [Can't hear since Todd (who is still on air) is talking over her]

Murphy: Um, you know, because, I come out of the blue swing state governor world. Engler, Whitman, Tommy Thompson, Mitt Romney, Jeb Bush, I mean, and these guys, this is all how you win a Texas race, just run it up, and it's not gonna work.

Noonan: It's Over.

Murphy: Still, McCain can give a version of the Lieberman speech and do himself some good.

Todd: [can't really tell what he says, but he mentions something about "insulting to Kay Baily Hutchinson]

Noonan: I saw Kay this morning...

Todd: She's never looked comfortable up there..

Murphy: They're all bummed out.

Todd: I mean, is she really the most qualified woman they can obtain?

Noonan: The most qualified? No. I think they went for this, excuse me, political bullshit about narratives...[couldn't hear the end of it]

Todd: Yeah, but what's a narrative?

Murphy: I totally agree.

Noonan: Every time Republicans do that, because that's not where they live and it's not what they're good at, they blow it.

Murphy: You know what's the worst thing about it, the greatest of McCain is no cynicism, and..

Murphy and Todd together: This is cynical.

Todd: And as you called it, gimmicky

McCain said that she was qualified because she was geographically near to Russia?

Really, come on. By that line of reasoning, McCain should have had the problems of illegal immigrants from Mexico sorted out over a decade ago. What total bullshit.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
so_awes said:
why does he look like a robot? with his arm out like that.

surgery on his shoulder? POW-related?

Yep, and before you ask, his face is swollen on one side because of cancer surgery.

By the way, I sort of called it.

me two days ago said:
All they have to do is pick the story least damaging and decide to release a statement on it in the morning. That will make that story the headline for a day or two, unless the Dems are really persistent with all these scandals.

The McCain campaign has decided that baby-gate is the least damaging and is using it to distract from other controversies. Of course, when I made that post there was no way I could have foreseen all the other controversies that would arise...so it seems the McCain camp is really sticking with keeping this baby controversy in the headlines for a while.

It's up to the Democrats to attack Palin on the issues that really matter. They should wait to do this until after the RNC and baby-talk dies down.

Angry Amateurs
The story of the day out here in Minneapolis is the McCain campaign's war against the press. This has been building for some time. Those of us who have criticized the candidate--and especially those of us who enjoyed good relations with McCain in the past--have been subject to off-the-record browbeating and attempted bullying all year. But things have gotten much worse in recent days: there was McCain's rude, bizarre interview with Time Magazine last week. Yesterday, McCain refused to an interview with Larry King, for God's sake, because Campbell Brown had been caught in the commission of journalism on CNN the night before, asking McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds what decisions Sarah Palin had made as commander-in-chief of the Alaska national guard. (There was an answer that the unprepared Bounds didn't have: she had deployed them to fight fires.)

So what's going on here? Two things. McCain is just plain angry at us. By the evidence presented in the utterly revealing Time interview, he's ballistic. This is a politician who needs to see himself as the man on the white horse, boldly traversing a muddy field...any intimations that he's gotten muddied in the process, or has decided to throw mud, are intolerable.

The second thing is more insidious: Steve Schmidt has decided, for tactical reasons, to slime the press. He wants the public to believe that there is an unfair--sexist (you gotta love it)--personal assault going on against Palin and her family. This is a smokescreen, intended to divert attention from the fact the very real and responsible vetting that is taking place in the media--about the substance of Palin's record as mayor and governor. Sure, there are a few outliers--and the tabloid press--who have fixed on baby stories. That was inevitable....the flip side of the personal stories that the McCain team thought would work to their advantage--Palin's moose-hunting and wolf-shooting, and her admirable decision to have a Down Syndrome baby. And yes, when we all fix on the same story, whether it's a hurricane or a little-known politician, a zoo ensues. But the media coverage of the Palin story has been well within the bounds of responsibility. Schmidt is trying to make it seem otherwise, a desperate tactic.

There is a tendency in the media to kick ourselves, cringe and withdraw, when we are criticized. But I hope my colleagues stand strong in this case: it is important for the public to know that Palin raised taxes as governor, supported the Bridge to Nowhere before she opposed it, pursued pork-barrel projects as mayor, tried to ban books at the local library and thinks the war in Iraq is "a task from God." The attempts by the McCain campaign to bully us into not reporting such things are not only stupidly aggressive, but unprofessional in the extreme.

Nice.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay has a message to reporters scrutinizing John McCain's selection of Sarah Palin: "Please, media, keep it up."

DeLay, speaking on a Politico/Yahoo/Pioneer Press panel in St. Paul on Wednesday morning, said the tough coverage has done something for McCain that the maverick could never do with his own party.

"The media has done more for John McCain in the last two days than he’s done for himself in the last year and a half," DeLay said.

"Trashing her is waking up the sleeping giant, and the sleeping giant is Republican women," he claimed.

Asked after the panel if the media-bashing by Republicans was a way of creating a common enemy between McCain and conservatives who had been reluctant to embrace his candidacy, DeLay said: "Exactly. You got it."
http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0908/DeLay_to_media_Keep_it_up.html?showall

And you're not suppose to admit it Delay!

Tamanon

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
My Chucky better not get in trouble for this, that's all I know.

He'll coast, I mean he didn't do much bad! Although really, the tech crew for both conventions might get fired after Olbermann's hot mic also.:lol

gcubed

Fragamemnon said:
McCain said that she was qualified because she was geographically near to Russia?

Really, come on. By that line of reasoning, McCain should have had the problems of illegal immigrants from Mexico sorted out over a decade ago. What total bullshit.

i'm surprised the press just doesn't laugh in their face when they say that

GhaleonEB

Incognito said:
There is a tendency in the media to kick ourselves, cringe and withdraw, when we are criticized. But I hope my colleagues stand strong in this case: it is important for the public to know that Palin raised taxes as governor, supported the Bridge to Nowhere before she opposed it, pursued pork-barrel projects as mayor, tried to ban books at the local library and thinks the war in Iraq is "a task from God." The attempts by the McCain campaign to bully us into not reporting such things are not only stupidly aggressive, but unprofessional in the extreme.
A-fucking-men.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
quadriplegicjon said:
the hypocrisy continues to astound. if they want the media to keep out of her children's lives.. why the hell are they doing all this crap in public?

It's kind of difficult to keep things private when you are running for President. You throw your privacy out the window. They probably have someone that goes and rushes to the bathroom once the candidates leave to catch a glimpse of what they've left.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
This is a politician who needs to see himself as the man on the white horse, boldly traversing a muddy field...any intimations that he's gotten muddied in the process, or has decided to throw mud, are intolerable.

This is exactly why I could never stand McCain.

Fragamemnon said:

Can we also make the observation that the cold war ended TWENTY FUCKING YEARS AGO. Russia is an ally of ours. So I guess every governor on either border is also a foreign policy expert? Or did McCain still think the cold war was going on?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
UltimaKilo said:
It's kind of difficult to keep things private when you are running for President. You throw your privacy out the window. They probably have someone that goes and rushes to the bathroom once the candidates leave to catch a glimpse of what they've left.

um. they didnt have to send for the kid and then have the whole family and john mccain greet him out in the open for everyone to see. they are thrusting these kids into the limelight, they dont have to do all these things. hell, mccain himself has been pretty good about keeping his children away from the media.. they are trying to use those kids as tools to garner votes and its backfiring on them.

grandjedi6 said:

Even if he does admit it, are they really that stupid to think that their best shot this election is to run up the score on the conservative vote? It's not going to work, party affiliation and voter trends will crush them.

I swear, their campaign can be summed up in one phrase-the wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead.

Incognito said:

Nice. I was on a plane flying back from PAX in Seattle watching this interview via the in-flight satellite TV (which was FREE no less, when the air travel get this awesome) and was almost laughing out loud at that guy from McCain's team trying to come up with an example of Palin's "military experience". She grilled the shit out of him and he just spat out these absurd talking points. It was hilarious. I had been ragging on CNN the whole flight for their incessant coverage of Palin's daughter's pregnancy (talk about Plain and her parenting all you want but for the love of all that is decent please leave the poor daughter out of it) and then they come up with this shining example of journalism.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom