• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
SEGA SAMMY said:
And all the actresses before her worked so hard so Halle Berry could win best actress. I didn't see any complaints then. If you break the glass ceiling, you break the glass ceiling.

With all due respect that is one fucked up analogy. Maybe people would take you more seriously if your posts weren't complete drivel.

Crayon Shinchan said:
Mind if I make a thread about this? It's a good read... and it's worthwhile discussing seperately.

Go for it. That essay has singularly re-defined why I side with Obama: because I care about how other people do in life and I care about my fellow Americans; I'm willing to sacrifice for the greater good.

Some Fundie said:
95% of the world believes in a higher power...

See, here's the deal, even if that were true, I would guess that more than 50% do not believe in the Christian God.

The problem with citing an absurd number like this is that it implies that everyone believes in Christianity and just because this magical 95% of the world believes in a higher power, we should allow Christianity to drive public affairs and the education of our children? This just doesn't make any fucking sense...

PSGames

reilo said:
You forgot the most important issue for women: She is staunchly anti-abortion under ANY circumstances.

That's not true. If the pregnancy has significant health risks for the mother she's for abortion.

deadbeef

ryutaro's mama said:
So, if something were to befall McCain, you would feel confident Palin could perform well in the highest office in the land?

Well, I'll take my time to determine what I think of them before casting my vote, but I'm not going to hold it against her if she doesn't have a law degree, or hasn't served in D.C. or anything. If you ask me, that's a plus anyway.

deadbeef said:
I'm having a very hard time deciding who I'm going to vote for. I'm glad everything is finally in the open and I can really start evaluating the candidates.

If McCain had picked Romney or any of the other earlier contenders, I probably would not have voted for him. But this pick is very interesting. I may vote for him. But I have problems with her stance on abortion because I think a woman should have the right to choose. I like the initial assessment of her as a watchdog; granted, time will tell if that is actually the case.

What is really exciting to me, is that we are really going to get some fresh perspectives (I think) in office next year, no matter who wins.

Fresh ideas is one thing, trusting the Presidency of the United States to a person with as little experience as Palin is quite another.

Regardless of if she was on a McCain or Obama ticket.

The reason this pick has everyone confused is because it isn't rational.

She barely spoke to McCain prior to today and my understanding is she wasn't completely clear on McCain's proposed Iraq policy.

Her running mate.

I said wow.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
deadbeef said:
I'm having a very hard time deciding who I'm going to vote for. I'm glad everything is finally in the open and I can really start evaluating the candidates.

If McCain had picked Romney or any of the other earlier contenders, I probably would not have voted for him. But this pick is very interesting. I may vote for him. But I have problems with her stance on abortion because I think a woman should have the right to choose. I like the initial assessment of her as a watchdog; granted, time will tell if that is actually the case.

What is really exciting to me, is that we are really going to get some fresh perspectives (I think) in office next year, no matter who wins.
I can't argue with the fresh perspective argument too much. Seeing as she hasn't been in politics that long, or at least large-scale politics, she certainly would be a cleaner slate than others.

That being said, she also already has very conservative views, so the way she goes about instituting her beliefs into legislation may be different, but the end result will still be the same as if anyone else came up with them.

She is also just a VP, so her pull really won't be anything if elected into office (barring something terrible happens to McCain).

For me, if I was voting based on fresh perspective, I'd say you have to give it to Barack. He's already shaken some things up with the way he gets business done, so I'm very interested in seeing how he does if he gets to the big house.

Palin is certainly very likable from what I've seen so far, but it's going to take a lot more than likability in a VP selection to sway voters.

Appreciate your honest feedback, please don't get scared by everyone in this thread and continue posting!

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
reilo said:
Unlike most of other gay GAFfers, Gaborn doesn't leave a bread crumb of pink triangles with his posts.

which is why i think he shouldnt need to apologize.. his post had nothing to do with any social stigmas attached to homosexuality.

Tobor said:
Not only that, the analogy makes no sense. How did these other actresses help her win exactly? :lol

On second thought, don't even answer that. Comparing the Academy Awards to a Presidential election is ludicrous enough.

Full Analogy

Yes she was the first African American women to win best actress. This was not the best performance by an African American actress, but she was the first to break through. Just because previous performances were better, didn't mean people didn't feel pride when she accomplished that feat.

So it's Ok for Hillary to make cracks in the ceiling to advance the cause of women, but only if she does it?

agrajag

Banned
SEGA SAMMY said:
So it's Ok for Hillary to make cracks in the ceiling to advance the cause of women, but only if she does it?

People like Palin set back the causes of women with their anti-women legislation.

deadbeef

ryutaro's mama said:
Fresh ideas is one thing, trusting the Presidency of the United States to a person with as little experience as Palin is quite another.

Regardless of if she was on a McCain or Obama ticket.

The reason this pick has everyone confused is because it isn't rational.

She barely spoke to McCain prior to today and my understanding is she wasn't completely clear on McCain's proposed Iraq policy.

Her running mate.

I said wow.

Sure, it's quite another. So what should the minimum requirements be for a President or Vice President? I don't know. If she moved into the top job and some military incident was stirred up and she didn't know how to deal, she'd likely lean on her advisors or the Joint Chiefs of Staff or what have you, and I imagine an OK decision would get made. On the domestic front, maybe Congress would step up and reclaim some of its powers that they've given up if she started floundering.

If she is a complete flop, then I have faith that the system will weed her out before getting elected.

RubxQub

SEGA SAMMY said:
Full Analogy

Yes she was the first African American women to win best actress. This was not the best performance by an African American actress, but she was the first to break through. Just because previous performances were better, didn't mean people didn't feel pride when she accomplished that feat.

Where the hell are you getting this shit from?

Name a performance that you feel is better than Halle Berry's that should have won an Oscar but was not either nominated or awarded in:

A) Your opinion
B) Commonly accepted public opinion

My guess is that...you just made this up.

Krowley

quadriplegicjon said:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/29/palin.bio/index.html : "Palin a pioneer, maverick -- and game-changer "

and i noticed some republicans on here call her a maverick a couple hours after her nomination.. im too lazy to go looking back.. but its in the older thread.

I was calling her a maverick because i read wikipedia and examined her record. That's what she is. She is a classic "reformer" style politician, which is also what McCain used to be known for.

The vitriol of the dems towards this pick is pretty hilarious.. Obama was within a hair of selecting Tim Kaine, who has only been a governer for as long as she has. The inexperience argument will only work if she fails to deliver on the national stage. If she comes through in the debate, and in her public appearences, they will have egg on their faces.

An interesting note, she apparently gave her speech today without a teleprompter or notes, even though she obviously only had a short time to prepare.

Arde5643

deadbeef said:
Sure, it's quite another. So what should the minimum requirements be for a President or Vice President? I don't know. If she moved into the top job and some military incident was stirred up and she didn't know how to deal, she'd likely lean on her advisors or the Joint Chiefs of Staff or what have you, and I imagine an OK decision would get made. On the domestic front, maybe Congress would step up and reclaim some of its powers that they've given up if she started floundering.

If she is a complete flop, then I have faith that the system will weed her out before getting elected.
Right, just like our last 8 years.

Tobor

SEGA SAMMY said:
Full Analogy

This isn't how the Oscar's work, at all.

And honestly, I don't care if Palin is a woman, a man, or Gozar the Gozarian, it's a horrible desperate pick.

Gaborn

quadriplegicjon said:
which is why i think he shouldnt need to apologize.. his post had nothing to do with any social stigmas attached to homosexuality.

It was his choice to apologize or not, I never asked for one. I will say my reaction was more shock than anything, because I could've SWORN cheebs knew I was gay (I'm pretty sure we sparred over my distaste for Obama's position rejecting marriage equality in favor of a separate stigmatizing system for gay couples as well as other threads) but I guess somehow it didn't click. Either way though I pretty much figured the issue was closed and I was never really particularly offended, just a little shocked.

Seriously though - at this point who WOULDN'T know I'm gay? I thought I was... pretty obvious actually.

SEGA SAMMY said:
Full Analogy

Who decided that? Who proclaimed that Halle worked less or performed worse than those before her? Your claim is dubious and open for debate. More importantly though, it is a sheer stretch of the imagination that is need to think that this is equivalent to clinton vs. palin..

Tobor

Krowley said:
I was calling her a maverick because i read wikipedia and examined her record. That's what she is. She is a classic "reformer" style politician, which is also what McCain used to be known for.

You mean the Wikipedia article Palin was busted editing yesterday?

This thread started out strong but has kind of disintegrated in the last few pages. A whole, like, 2 pages on whether "girl" is appropriate? What a waste of brain cells.

RubxQub said:
Where the hell are you getting this shit from?

Name a performance that you feel is better than Halle Berry's that should have won an Oscar but was not either nominated or awarded in:

A) Your opinion
B) Commonly accepted public opinion

My guess is that...you just made this up.

So you think that her performance in Monsters Ball was the greatest performance ever by an African American actress???

deadbeef said:

But in your first paragraph, all of your scenarios are troubling. Because being the President is not some job you can intern your way into being. Either you are or you aren't.

The reality is, McCain could still win, but it will be America voting for McCain, looking past her. McCain could fall ill and she would be needed to take over. I'm just not confident that she would be to handle that.

It's my opinion.

Not everyone will agree with it and that's fine.

I think that as the race goes on, she will be exposed further.

I think McCain made a odd gamble in a close race.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Gaborn said:
Seriously though - at this point who WOULDN'T know I'm gay? I thought I was... pretty obvious actually.

Gaborn keeps sending me PM's in which he threatens to deregulate my sphincter and reach around with the Invisible Hand of the market. Also he wants to dress up like a cop and perform some "night watchman functions".

True story.

SEGA SAMMY said:
So you think that her performance in Monsters Ball was the greatest performance ever by an African American actress???

She was not nominated for the greatest performance of an African-american actress ever...

RubxQub

SEGA SAMMY said:
I'm asking you the question. I have no clue if it was or it wasn't, but you claimed that it wasn't.

I'd like to know what you think, since you said in no uncertain terms that it wasn't the greatest.

deadbeef

ryutaro's mama said:
But in your first paragraph, all of your scenarios are troubling. Because being the President is not some job you can intern your way into being. Either you are or you aren't.

The reality is, McCain could still win, but it will be America voting for McCain, looking past her. McCain could fall ill and she would be needed to take over. I'm just not confident that she would be to handle that.

It's my opinion.

Not everyone will agree with it and that's fine.

I think that as the race goes on, she will be exposed further.

I think McCain made a odd gamble in a close race.

Sure, but don't you think it's his only chance at this point? We're 2 or so months out, and Obama is looking really progressive. He (McCain) had to try something. He tried something unexpected, which was the smart move, I think.

Gaborn

Mandark said:
Gaborn keeps sending me PM's in which he threatens to deregulate my sphincter and reach around with the Invisible Hand of the market. Also he wants to dress up like a cop and perform some "night watchman functions".

True story.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol *glances at tag* :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Krowley

Tobor said:
You mean the Wikipedia article Palin was busted editing yesterday?

I know nothing about that, but I've read similar stuff all over the net today and heard it on the news. She has an impressive record, even if you don't believe it's sufficient to deserve this office. She has been good at her various jobs.

Tobor said:
This isn't how the Oscar's work, at all.

And honestly, I don't care if Palin is a woman, a man, or Gozar the Gozarian, it's a horrible desperate pick.

Do you realize, that you were a champion in their eyes?

Arde5643

deadbeef said:
Harriet Myers got weeded out. I've seen her name crop up in these threads today.
Bush and Cheney didn't.

EDIT: Fuck it, guys - stop being hooked, lined, and sinkered by SEGA SAMMY's obvious trolling. He's a fucking neocon shill who's doing this either for personal or financial gratification.
If you can't ban him, then ignore his shtick - of course, most of you are probably enjoying the mindless debates with him as well.

Tobor

SEGA SAMMY said:

Do you honestly think this is how the Oscar's work???????????? :lol

CharlieDigital said:
This thread started out strong but has kind of disintegrated in the last few pages. A whole, like, 2 pages on whether "girl" is appropriate? What a waste of brain cells.
Seriously. Let's stop the oscar talking here, guys.

Tobor

Krowley said:
I know nothing about that, but I've read similar stuff all over the net today and heard it on the news. She has an impressive record, even if you don't believe it's sufficient to deserve this office. She has been good at her various jobs.

PTA's don't run themselves, you know.

Cheebs

SEGA SAMMY said:
I don't care who it is as long as they EARN it. She is a totally unknown person with almost no experience who was purely picked due to her sex. That isn't breaking the ceiling. That is being lifted above it by a male.

Let's traffic in some gender/political stereotypes for a moment: Obviously, Palin is a risky pick for McCain because she is approximately as qualified to serve as commander-in-chief as my Great Aunt Ruby (who has, full disclosure, been dead for several years now.) Indeed, I just finished listening to Linda Wertheimer on NPR grouchily voicing complete befuddlement over how McCain could pick someone so clearly unprepared in light of the senator's advanced age and questionable health. The contrast with Joe Biden is particularly stark. In a debate with Biden over--well, just about anything that doesn't directly involve the state of Alaska--Palin is almost certain to get her clock cleaned.

But! Biden nonetheless needs to tread carefully and show more self-control and finesse than he is normally known for. Palin may be a varmint-hunting, moose-stew-guzzling NRA lifer, but she is still a woman--and an exceedingly delicate, feminine looking one at that. (A former Miss Wasilla no less!) And as irrational as they may be, the laws of politics forbid any man from behaving in a condescending, bullying, dismissive, mocking, or otherwise disrespectful fashion toward candidates of the fairer sex. Just ask poor Rick Lazio.

The fact that Palin looks to be a far more fragile flower than Lazio's former opponent makes Biden's job all the tougher. In head-to-head match ups, he will need to dismantle Palin completely, yet avoid triggering all those stupid, gut-level, subconscious, knee-jerk instincts that would lead voters to feel protective of her. This is particularly important in light of the remaining Hillary Issue. God forbid a meaningful chunk of Hillary dead-enders got it into their heads that, not only had Obama disrepected their gal, but now his number-two was dissing another sister.

Whine all you want about how all candidates should be viewed and treated the same regardless of gender. The research and history of our politics show they aren't. Just something for Biden to think about when he's strapping on the gloves.
http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2008/08/29/biden-s-girl-trouble.aspx

I remembered the Lazio situation briefly so I tried finding a video of it. Surprisingly it's not on youtube, but I did find a Daily Show (zzz) clip of it here; the infamous bullying is shown around the 3min mark
http://optimistmom.blogspot.com/2007/11/clinton-v-lazio-debate.html

I hope to god Axelrod and everyone else warns Biden about the possible dangers here, every day until the debate. The GOP would blow even the slightest perceived slight out of proportion (just check out the republican's website ticker concerning Biden gaffes) and the media would be more than willing to lay on the faux outrage

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Cheebs said:
I don't care who it is as long as they EARN it. She is a totally unknown person with almost no experience who was purely picked due to her sexual orientation. That isn't breaking the ceiling. That is being lifted above it by a male.

Do you know something that we don't?

Something hot?

RubxQub

deadbeef said:
Nope. But Congress didn't do their job either; they let the Executive Branch walk all over them.
Mostly true.

Bush had the luxury of having a Republican majority in the Congress up until 2006. Since then the Democrats have not done an exceptional job, however they were also handcuffed by not having the majority needed to overturn a veto.

Tough situation.

I hate political parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom