• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jey_16

Banned
is it possible to donate to Obama's campaign even if you are not a US citizen and living overseas? i'm a conservative but i fear for the world if a party like the GOP as it is now gets 4 more years

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
reilo said:
Oh man. I just realized: Tomorrow is McCain's speech, and McCain is terrible at delivery. Unlike Obama, Obama followed some great speeches and outdid them all. How will McCain fare?

did you see him walk out tonight? He looked like Mr. Magoo

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
gcubed said:
thats bullshit though. You can be a catholic, and not believe everything the pope tells you to. You can believe and follow their rules, but you can have a brain. The thinking that if you arent with us, you are against us... that the only way to be a catholic is if you follow everything and willingly do what you are told is the reason why the religion is in the shitter right now.
Huh? I'm not taking what the Pope says at face value. I know what abortion is, I know what it involves, I know the procedure and I know I'd be against it, Catholic or not.

There are many many things Catholics can disagree on about their faiths, the laws of Catholicism, etc. And that's just fine. There are only a few exceptions to this, one being abortion. If you don't like that, well, that's why you're not a Catholic. :p

Mahadev

WickedAngel said:
Be realistic. There isn't any way that they could possibly attack everything that needs to be attacked tonight. Almost everything in these speeches was founded on half truths or whole lies; it's going to take time to dissect all of that and source your responses.

It's not just about the response to the lies individually. The reaction to all this smear should have been stronger and more serious instead of the usual old "McCain is Bush" argument.

AniHawk

Dirtbag 504 said:
Personal attacks aside.....
Yes, because everything is so black and white, that's exactly what I meant.

Kill everyone with diseases while we are at it... that way I can't catch one.
HOW DARE YOU

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Dirtbag 504 said:
Personal attacks aside.....
Yes, because everything is so black and white, that's exactly what I meant.

Kill everyone with diseases while we are at it... that way I can't catch one.

Actually, the republicans take a pretty damn black and white approach to everything. They deal with nothing BUT absolutes, as evidenced by tonight's speeches.

M3wThr33

Banned
Cheebs said:
To those wondering how much NeoGAF has raised for Obama:
$75,196.11

Over 75 thousand dollars from gaffers for Obama.

And remember this is a private group that is password protected so not just anyone joined it.

Think NeoGAF can raise over 100k by Nov 4th?
I'd love to donate money. What's this link?

Jak140

The video I uploaded on August 31st, 2008 of Sarah Palin laughing as a cancer surviving senator was derided as being a "bitch" and a "cancer" by a shock jock on "The Bob and Mark Show", a radio show on KWHL in Alaska was deleted for "copyright infringement."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKkydrUnBZE

Here is the clip uploaded by someone on another channel, download it and spread it around before they delete this one too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9AIDRGzUAw

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
how dare you organize communities you piece of shit!!! Get to wall street and make money so you can become an oil baron!!!!

Also, this was completely a base election speech and so far a base election convetion. What sort of bad math are they using to think tht Republicans can beat Democrats in a base election in 2008? Where's the pivot to appeal to independents? Who can really give the sort of optimistic, impassed defense of conservatism that the GOP needs?

It's like someone hacked their voter DB and filled it with 2004 data. I don't get what they are trying to do electorally.

Rugasuki

Cheebs said:
$75,196.11

And remember this is a private group that is password protected so not just anyone joined it.

What's the password?

AniHawk

chubigans said:
Huh? I'm not taking what the Pope says at face value. I know what abortion is, I know what it involves, I know the procedure and I know I'd be against it, Catholic or not.

There are many many things Catholics can disagree on about their faiths, the laws of Catholicism, etc. And that's just fine. There are only a few exceptions to this, one being abortion. If you don't like that, well, that's why you're not a Catholic. :p

I'm a Catholic and I pretty much align with Biden's views.

Maybe that's because I'm a Catholic-Protestant. Dual-baptized! I guess that makes me the #1 authority on morality worldwide. I'm like some sort of SuperChristian.

ronito

GhaleonEB said:
They added the part about it being well delivered, but otherwise, you bet.
Come on. Even on GAF we had several comments that would've been a great response (see Ether_Snake's) and we're just a bunch of guys that are less than amatuers at this. Surely Obama's team could think up something new ANYTHING new. Something teeth this time. You just got a bloody nose, the proper response isn't "haha good show ol' chap!"

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
laserbeam said:
He could give a better speech than Bill and Barack and gaf would say it sucked.

Good choice of character there. can we trust your judgement :p
It destroyed my sense of spirit for this. I thought I'd never care again, to be honest with you.

This is no time to sit on the sidelines. I was completely apathetic throughout the entire primary season.

No more. This shit is on and I'm NOT gonna sit by and watch my country fall apart.

Tamanon

Banned
Cheebs said:
$75,196.11

That can't be right at all, I think someone in the group is a bundler.

Fatalah

Cheebs said:

What's the group? I didn't even know about it and I'm in here all the time! That number could be SO much higher if more GAFFERs knew about it!

Cheebs said:
$75,196.11

Fucking amazing.

Most likely a $75,000 difference between Obama's raised funds and McCains on GAF. :D

Dirtbag

OuterWorldVoice said:
Do you ever wonder why 98% of gaf leans liberal? Do you think it's because of some inherent video game demographic? Or do you think it's because the younger and better educated, and more literate you are, the more likely you are to be liberal (not my claim, but rather a well-documented fact)?

Republican leadership has failed this country for eight years. Economy is in the shitter. The VERY Rich own a greater share of what wealth there is. Record deficit. Trillions of dollars. All of our moral capital is spent and we are now considered an ignorant bully worldwide. We are outsourcing everything and destroying jobs. The auto industry has died on the vine. Our freedoms have been curtailed in the greatest irony of all time, and energy interests have destroyed our transit infrastructure.

This isn't really about ideology, it's about logic and practicality.

So this I totally agree with. But how we got here, I take some issues with, and how we climb out of it is my biggest concern. I'd say that our problems go back a lot further than just 8 years of republican leadership. Make no mistakes though, I agree this past administration has failed this country.

gcubed

chubigans said:

thats funny though, i'm a catholic, and i definitely dont agree with the abortion info being put forth by the republicans.

tanod

when is my burrito
AniHawk said:
I'm a Catholic and I pretty much align with Biden's views.

I'm a Protestant Lutheran and I agree with him. I think most Americans who care enough to have an opinion on the details of the issue agree.

GhaleonEB

ronito said:
Come on. Even on GAF we had several comments that would've been a great response (see Ether_Snake's) and we're just a bunch of guys that are less than amatuers at this. Surely Obama's team could think up something new ANYTHING new. Something teeth this time. You just got a bloody nose, the proper response isn't "haha good show ol' chap!"
It was a really weak response. Surprisingly so.

But to be fair, they know anything they put out isn't getting any kind of play. They'll be very forceful when they have the chance to get back into the narrative.

deadbeef

OuterWorldVoice said:
Do you ever wonder why 98% of gaf leans liberal? Do you think it's because of some inherent video game demographic? Or do you think it's because the younger and better educated, and more literate you are, the more likely you are to be liberal (not my claim, but rather a well-documented fact)?

Republican leadership has failed this country for eight years. Economy is in the shitter. The VERY Rich own a greater share of what wealth there is. Record deficit. Trillions of dollars. All of our moral capital is spent and we are now considered an ignorant bully worldwide. We are outsourcing everything and destroying jobs. The auto industry has died on the vine. Our freedoms have been curtailed in the greatest irony of all time, and energy interests have destroyed our transit infrastructure.

This isn't really about ideology, it's about logic and practicality.

Can I see these sources? I hear this all the time, but I've never seen the studies. I'm not disagreeing with you , I'm just curious.

Tamanon

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
It was a really weak response. Surprisingly so.

Eh, there's no need for a response today, Biden's speech didn't get anything but a generic one his night either. That's what the next day is for!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Haha. CNN's graphic said that McCain just won the Democratic Nomination.

Diablos

Y2Kev said:
It destroyed my sense of spirit for this. I thought I'd never care again, to be honest with you.

This is no time to sit on the sidelines. I was completely apathetic throughout the entire primary season.

No more. This shit is on and I'm NOT gonna sit by and watch my country fall apart.
If Rudy and Palin inspired more Y2Kev's than generic Republican hacks, then maybe those speeches were a good thing.

Actually GAF isn't 98% liberal, but they do despise the current state of partisan politics in America and Obama is a post-partisan candidate. That's why he has so much support here-people are dead tired of the bullshit, and want someone with more than half a brain running the country in a way that at least tries to get good shit done.

Lesath

Guts Of Thor said:
Extremely and I mean EXTREMELY Dissapointing.

I think it's fairly well played strategically. A clever retort or two might have been extremely satisfying for the Obama die-hards, but it would come off just as negative as the Republicans, and would only serve to alienate, not include.

Fake edit: shit this thread moves fast.

Gruco

Banned
Dr. Strangelove said:
SHE'S GOT A LOT OF STEEL IN HER SPINE

Palin: GRITTY candidate confirmed
Palin/Eckstein 2016
wait wtf this isn't the mlb thread

I dug up the 2004 election thread for kicks, for anyone interested (or who wants to get a hint of what might happen if Obama loses). Interesting to see how different the dynamics were, how different GAF was, and...how much GAF was the same.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20953

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
I just donated $250 to the Obama campaign. Words cannot express how vile those speeches were. Donating went a long way in dissipating the anger. I suggest whosever felt similarly to do the same.

GhaleonEB

deadbeef said:
Can I see these sources? I hear this all the time, but I've never seen the studies. I'm not disagreeing with you , I'm just curious.
Study on the age part:

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/813/gen-dems

813-1.gif

Tamanon said:
Eh, there's no need for a response today, Biden's speech didn't get anything but a generic one his night either. That's what the next day is for!
That's what I've said now, twice! :lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
deadbeef said:

Sure. here's one. Google brings up dozens, but this one is broad and well-respected.

http://people-press.org/report/?pageid=945

Liberals have the highest education level of any typology group 49% are college graduates and 26% have some postgraduate education. But the Enterprisers also include a relatively high percentage of college graduates (46%), although fewer Enterprisers than Liberals have attended graduate school (14%).

Pro-Government Conservatives stand out among Republican groups for their modest incomes. About half (49%) have annual household incomes of less than $30,000; just 13% of Enterprisers and 26% of Social Conservatives have incomes in that range. Pro-Government Conservatives' annual household incomes are comparable to those of Disadvantaged Democrats and Bystanders, and much lower than those of other GOP groups.

Huge disparities in education also divide both Democratic and Republican typology groups. Just 13% of Disdvantaged Democrats have completed college (9% college grads, 4% postgraduate), compared with nearly half of Liberals. Educational differences between Liberals and Conservative Democrats are nearly as large (49% vs. 16%).

Among Republicans, just 15% of Pro-Government Conservatives have completed college, compared with 45% of Enterprisers. There also are wide disparities in education among the three independent groups, with Upbeats (37%) far more likely to have completed college than Bystanders (13%) or Disaffecteds (11%).

tanod

when is my burrito
Fragamemnon said:
Actually GAF isn't 98% liberal, but they do despise the current state of partisan politics in America and Obama is a post-partisan candidate. That's why he has so much support here-people are dead tired of the bullshit, and want someone with more than half a brain running the country in a way that at least tries to get good shit done.

Having turned 18 back in 2000, I've never had the opportunity to vote for a real conservative in a general election. I saw Ron Paul for the first time on CSpan last night and it just drove the point home that the Republican party of 2008 is a joke. That made tonight's spectacle of lies and hypocrisy that much more painful as an American.

Cloudy

Banned
jey_16 said:
is it possible to donate to Obama's campaign even if you are not a US citizen and living overseas? i'm a conservative but i fear for the world if a party like the GOP as it is now gets 4 more years

I'm pretty sure non-citizens aren't allowed to donate to campaigns..

chubigans said:
I can definitely see the argument on abortion. I'm sure many people can.

There are some things about Catholicism I don't agree with, absolutely. I think alter girls are a good thing for Catholics, but some say it should just be boys only. I think we need to allow priests to marry, but many would disagree.

But abortion is just one of those things that define Catholics as a whole...the right to life. If you don't agree with that, that's all fair and good, but I wouldn't consider them as part of the Catholic community. Same with Biden.

Come on dude, abortion is only defined that way in America. The Catholic right to life involves opposition to the death penalty and opposing dropping of bombs on poor people so that would exclude your precious vote being wasted on any Republicans. You can't pick and choose which aspects of doctrine you're going to follow. Hell, the Catholic church has long supported social justice movements and decried the abuses of the "free" market as well. Outside of abortion, the Catholic church's positions are much closer to the democratic party's.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Cheebs said:
$75,196.11

I don't think that's accurate. We had a goal of $1,337 during the primaries and we barely met it if I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom