• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

theBishop

Banned
lexdysia said:
How can Palin say that Obama just wants to "read [the detainees] their rights"?

I'm sure the Vietnamese did not read McCain his rights, subjecting him to all sorts of terrible things.

What a despicable line of "reasoning."

Was it her that said that or Rudy? I couldn't remember, but that stuck with me as a despicable line. What's next, mocking free speech?

Huzah

syllogism said:
Sadly nothing is going to change with Palin as the star of the party

Probably not, but still to early to tell, but the GOP if they are smart probably didn't want to send any real promising future GOP leader to be a VP in this election cycle due to the well known Bush debacle.

tanod

when is my burrito
lexdysia said:
How can Palin say that Obama just wants to "read [the detainees] their rights"?

I'm sure the Vietnamese did not read McCain his rights, subjecting him to all sorts of terrible things.

What a despicable line of "reasoning."

Fun fact:

McCain wasn't tortured while he was in captivity. By his own definition, he was "enhanced interrogated."

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Zabka said:
I think they'll let the media go to work on Palin. From watching Biden this morning, I think he's going to talk her up so that she won't be going into the VP debate as an underdog who can claim victory just because she wasn't embarassed.

Unless he takes a big dip in the polls, the Obama/Biden camp will stick to trying to shape the debate narrative.

Exactly this, raise expectations about Palin, talk her up, and then destroy her on the issues politely with a smile. I expect the campaign will go on the attack if they see a significant and sustained dip in the polls.

HylianTom

Banned
It's nice to know that, in the midst of all of this chaos, the fact still stands that John McCain will be financially limited to $85 million in about 12 hours.

After visiting a number of websites - both political and non-political - it's also painfully obvious that Obama is going to have a shit-ton of money going into September and October.

I'm proposing that Obama take a small chunk of that money and pull a Ross Perot on the evening before the election: one half-hour speech/presentation to seal the deal. With the information we'll have by then, he'd be able to address any concerns that last-minute deciders may have, shore-up his weak supporters, and remind his younger voters that Election Day is tomorrow.

qwertybob

GuessWho said:
Obama will win, he HAS too.

btw, anybody have that pic of some british journal the day after bush got reelected. It went something like how can 300 million people be so dumb.

daily_mirror_bush.jpg

GhaleonEB

polyh3dron said:
SO AWESOME
Wow. "In Dick Morris' defense, he's a lying sack of shit." :lol

BenjaminBirdie said:
Thanks. I had been looking for one of these. 538, as always, was probably right.
Agreed. I think it's a fundamental mistake to aim a speech at firing up the base when the republican base is smaller than the dem base this year. Where was the policy? The vision?

Also: Ben Smith noted that not once in the entire GOP convention has the word "Afghanistan" been spoken. Between that and the wholesale ignoring of the economy, they're not really running on anything. Just all attack dog.

Eric P said:
if you have more R&D you don't need as many people in boots because each soldier and his weapons and tools become more efficient.
Plus, the tech in such projects like lite-exoskeletons for soldiers to carry more equipment, battle armor, etc. eventually makes its way to the civilian market.

Cheebs

Anyone find it a bit strange for the most part NO ONE at the convention has mentioned the economy, which is the top issue? They are letting the dems dominate that while mocking them on personality and foreign policy which is very 2004.

Cheebs said:
Anyone find it a bit strange for the most part NO ONE at the convention has mentioned the economy, which is the top issue? They are letting the dems dominate that while mocking them on personality and foreign policy which is very 2004.

Are you sure about that?

theBishop

Banned
Cheebs said:

Haven't you heard? The fundamentals of the economy are strong.

Bleh I can still watch the clips but it's not quite the same as the full episodes.

The international version they show in the UK is shitty, they cut a lot out. But at least theres only 1 ad break.

Cheebs

King_Slender said:
Right, because the people Palin would appeal to (working age people with children) don't have time at 10pm on a Wednesday to go to some political forum.:lol
You are trying way too hard.

The Republicans have made a major error, this election is not about the base. This is not 2004 anymore. The democratic base nor the republican base will win this election. The middle will.

And so far, the Democratic Convention was FAR more moderate on the issues. Democrats never talked liberal vs. conservative ideology once.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
where are these so called pdf files? I couldn't find them on BO's site, I'm blind?

Also, what are some good reliable sites to do a little research or read up on the voting history of the candidates?

Cheebs said:

Does it really matter? Executive experience is the panacea for what ails us.

Cheebs

Also I think the republicans are confused. Americans don't give a shit about lobbyists or pork-barrel projects. That is mostly political nonsense to non-political junkies.

Democrats talk about fixing the economy and health care. Republicans talk about fixing how much we spend on pork barrel projects and oil?

I mean really. Which moderate swing voter hinges their vote on THE BRIDGE TO NOWHERE. How many even know what in the world that means? That was a running gag of the political cable shows but I doubt many have a clue what it means who don't follow this like we do. Republicans over-estimate the publics knowledge and care of these weird political issues.

gkryhewy

King_Slender said:
Right, because the people Palin would appeal to (working age people with children) don't have time at 10pm on a Wednesday to go to some political forum.:lol

Wait for Virtua Fighter 5!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Lighten up y'all, it's a partisan political speech. Humorless Republicans were furious at Ann Richards for mocking the first Pres. Bush at the DNC in '88 because she was funny and had some memorable lines. We don't live in a country where the editor of the Harvard Law Review ascends to rule as philosopher-king upon graduation.

GhaleonEB said:
Agreed. I think it's a fundamental mistake to aim a speech at firing up the base when the republican base is smaller than the dem base this year.

Even Mike Murphy still agrees on that. I don't buy Mika's take that just because of her narrative, she's going to win over voters. Honestly, that sounds like just as much bias as actual sexism has. Just because she's a mom, voters are going to agree with her? That somehow things are different now? We'll see, I guess.

Cheebs

syllogism said:
Notice how pundits haven't set artificial RNC post convention poll bump goals. Is it going to be 10 or 15%?!?
If come monday (weekend is when the bump is most felt don't get cocky after friday numbers appear, as shown by 2004 and Obama last week) and McCain and Obama are roughly tied or hell if Obama is ahead at all then Obama is in a fantastic position because artifical convention bumps always fall within a few weeks.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Even Mike Murphy still agrees on that. I don't buy Mika's take that just because of her narrative, she's going to win over voters. Honestly, that sounds like just as much bias as actual sexism has. Just because she's a mom, voters are going to agree with her? That somehow things are different now? We'll see, I guess.
Republicans aren't running on issues at all. They are running on "pork-barrel" projects which to most voters makes no sense and insulting the dems personality. At least in 2004 they ran on issues, it was social issues but at least they were simple understandable issues.

Cheebs said:

People have pointed out that the millionaire CEOs came out and started the economy discussion last night. If they say the current tax formula is still to hard on them and their buddies and that is what is keeping the 90% from prosperity, we should believe them.

Cheebs said:
Also I think the republicans are confused. Americans don't give a shit about lobbyists or pork-barrel projects. That is mostly political nonsense to non-political junkies.

Democrats talk about fixing the economy and health care. Republicans talk about fixing how much we spend on pork barrel projects and oil?

I mean really. Which moderate swing voter hinges their vote on THE BRIDGE TO NOWHERE. How many even know what in the world that means? That was a running gag of the political cable shows but I doubt many have a clue what it means who don't follow this like we do. Republicans over-estimate the publics knowledge and care of these weird political issues.

Cheebs, with all due respect, I think you are off the mark a bit. I gotta run, so I can't go into more detail, but I'll be back in a bit.

Guileless said:
Lighten up y'all, it's a partisan political speech. Humorless Republicans were furious at Ann Richards for mocking the first Pres. Bush at the DNC in '88 because she was funny and had some memorable lines. We don't live in a country where the editor of the Harvard Law Review ascends to rule as philosopher-king upon graduation.

It has nothing to do with the editor of the Harvard Law Review. Attack Obama all you want. But good luck mocking the enormous infrastructure that cost Hillary Clinton the nomination. Who did they think the "ground game" was?

TDG

Banned
syllogism said:
Notice how pundits haven't set artificial post RNC poll bump goals. Is it going to be 10 or 15%?!?
They probably just have no clue whether the republicans will get a bump over the dems, whether it will just erase the dems' bump, or whether there won't be any bump at all.

They have no clue, not that that's ever stopped them before.

Cheebs

ViperVisor said:
People have pointed out that the millionaire CEOs came out and started the economy discussion last night. If they say the current tax formula is still to hard on them and their buddies and that is what is keeping the 90% from prosperity, we should believe them.
I mean in prime time speeches, when people watch. Hillary talked about the economy, Bill talked about the economy, Obama REALLY talked about the economy. So far none of the prime-timers (Thompson, Lieberman, Rudy, Palin) have mentioned it really at all.

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
One of the bits of encouraging polling since Palin was announced has been how voters tend to view her favorably - give an unknown hockey mom the benefit of the doubt - but still don't think she's qualified to be president. I had assumed the two would go hand in hand - she seems nice, so she's qualified! After last night, she's lost even her initial appeal. And women in particular saw right through her selection for what it was.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Huzah said:
Well hopefully when Obama wins, it gives the GOP the kick in the ass it needs to question wtf it's trying to go with its party. It took Bill Clinton to get Newt fired up, but to bad Obama a lot more left leaning than good old Bill and combined a democratic congress alot of damage could be done that need to be repaired.
No, losing will convince them they weren't conservative enough.

lexdysia

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
One of the bits of encouraging polling since Palin was announced has been how voters tend to view her favorably - give an unknown hockey mom the benefit of the doubt - but still don't think she's qualified to be president. I had assumed the two would go hand in hand - she seems nice, so she's qualified! After last night, she's lost even her initial appeal. And women in particular saw right through her selection for what it was.

This is a hopeful sign.

Kildace

GhaleonEB said:

Questions : I didn't see / read Palin's speech last night. Was there a Hillary Clinton / Glass Ceiling mention or did she stop being so transparent?

GhaleonEB said:
Pretty much. I'd imagine it would be hard to drum up the female vote when you don't support any womens' issues. Regardless of your sex.

Cheebs said:
Who wants to bet Palin will get bigger ratings last night than McCain will tonight?

Football all but guarantees it. But she would have anyway. Especially after his surprise appearance last night on stage. He's honestly never looked older and ineffectual.

jandar

Xisiqomelir said:

Share_of_Taxes(1).jpg

In 2000-2002, the top 50% wage earners paid 94% of all personal income taxes.

Thats a great idea, lets tax the rich folks, they have enough money to run this country.....

Everyone needs to pay their equal share. The top 5% pays most of the taxes already, why tax them more?

Get the lazy ass young people and welfare recipients to start working and stop bitching....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom