• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm trying to get tickets to see Obama here on September 11. It's a lottery process so it's totally random :(

MaddenNFL64

Father_Brain said:
Asay is a right-wing hack, so the intended meaning was that Democrats are having a frivolous, elitist party at their convention while Republicans are gravely and heroically helping the Gustav victims at theirs. Of course, the alternate interpretation of the second panel is fairly obvious.

From a blank slate look at the cartoon (not knowing who asay is, or his political leanings), it looks like the democrats win, republicans suck kind of deal. Like they needed rescue. Heh.

'Course now I see the angle he was going for. But at first glance it looked pro democrat :p.

Truth? What truth?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080904/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_fact_check

PALIN: "I have protected the taxpayers by vetoing wasteful spending ... and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress. I told the Congress 'thanks but no thanks' for that Bridge to Nowhere."

THE FACTS: As mayor of Wasilla, Palin hired a lobbyist and traveled to Washington annually to support earmarks for the town totaling $27 million. In her two years as governor, Alaska has requested nearly $750 million in special federal spending, by far the largest per-capita request in the nation. While Palin notes she rejected plans to build a $398 million bridge from Ketchikan to an island with 50 residents and an airport, that opposition came only after the plan was ridiculed nationally as a "bridge to nowhere."

PALIN: "There is much to like and admire about our opponent. But listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform — not even in the state senate ."

THE FACTS: Compared to McCain and his two decades in the Senate, Obama does have a more meager record. But he has worked with Republicans to pass legislation that expanded efforts to intercept illegal shipments of weapons of mass destruction and to help destroy conventional weapons stockpiles. The legislation became law last year. To demean that accomplishment would be to also demean the work of Republican Sen. Richard Lugar of Indiana, a respected foreign policy voice in the Senate. In Illinois, he was the leader on two big, contentious measures in Illinois: studying racial profiling by police and requiring recordings of interrogations in potential death penalty cases . He also successfully co-sponsored major ethics reform legislation.

FORMER ARKANSAS GOV. MIKE HUCKABEE : Palin "got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States."

THE FACTS: A whopper. Palin got 616 votes in the 1996 mayor's election, and got 909 in her 1999 re-election race, for a total of 1,525. Biden dropped out of the race after the Iowa caucuses , but he still got 76,165 votes in 23 states and the District of Columbia where he was on the ballot during the 2008 presidential primaries.

FORMER MASSACHUSETTS GOV. MITT ROMNEY : "We need change, all right — change from a liberal Washington to a conservative Washington! We have a prescription for every American who wants change in Washington — throw out the big-government liberals, and elect John McCain and Sarah Palin ."

THE FACTS: A Back-to-the-Future moment. George W. Bush , a conservative Republican, has been president for nearly eight years. And until last year, Republicans controlled Congress. Only since January 2007 have Democrats have been in charge of the House and Senate.

Huzah

scorcho said:
not sure where the outrage is - they're a developing country that has lifted hundreds of millions out of poverty and need natural resources to do it. this country, meanwhile, needs to stress efficiency and think of alternative sources. off shore drilling is not the answer, unless the goal is to funnel more real estate to oil companies to sit on.

See, you say these good soothing words like "efficiency" and "alternatives" but if you go to any energy blog, people have actually done calculations on roughly how much "alternatives" we need to displace oil/gas, hell even just oil, I don't think you truly understand the scale how how much is required.

http://i-r-squared.blogspot.com/2008/05/replacing-gasoline-with-solar-power.html on replacing gasoline with solar

http://i-r-squared.blogspot.com/2007/07/future-is-solar.html on replacing gasoline with biofuels

Here's an article by sci america on going all solar:
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=a-solar-grand-plan

It's going to take a massive amount of industry resources to not only acquire the raw materials but to build these systems as well. Now do a google search on oil depletion and oil demand and current oil production and ask yourself, how much time do we have?

Also, hey, maybe we can give leases that require oil companies to drill them or lose them? What this is impossible?!?!?!

Barrett2

gkrykewy said:
Educated folks who are creationists anyway just SCREAM willful ignorance. Ben Stein is a fool.

I just consider his creationism schtick to be outside his area of expertise, so I don't mind. Compared to most Republican intellectuals, he ain't bad.

JayDubya

Banned
So since I've never seen an Obama ad and I've seen tons and tons of McCain ads, would it be accurate to say that McCain is wasting money on NeoGAF ads that Evilore happily converts into Obama donations?

:lol That's just funny to me.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Xenon said:
Tell me how she in ANY way implied a community leader is communist or "homo" as this video suggests.
"Turning the phrase community organizers into some sort of epithet like..." Are you defending what he said or just saying what illdoc said is untrue? What is your thought on this? Even with the video removed.

Huzah

fin said:
Since I'm from Canada, I've been lurking here keeping my mouth shut. I'm not too familiar with Palins history, but after her speach I did get a little respect for her.

Vetoing and saving 1/2 Billion dollars in 'wasteful' spending. Good? This is probably related to the oil-tycoon problem Alaska has had. 'Standing up' to the big oil companies probably took alot of balls. In Canada, the oil-sands are the blood, sweat and tears of Alberta. The provincial government has completely raped the land for what it's worth. If you're a enviormentalist, I'd be worried about the plans to drill more in the US. No matter what, it'll have a negative effect.

But if you're wanting a boom in the economy, drilling in the US will improve the situation. Oil-sands, Diamond, Uranium and Potash production in western Canada has got us out of our 1990's recession. It should do the same for you guys too. Oil companies have created so many jobs. People travel from all accross the country to work in the Oil-Sands. All the work has kinda created a fake inflation and rise in crime. For example, the prices of realistate in Saskatchewan, Alberta's nest-door-neighbor, is considered 50% over priced. Drug and weapon trafficing has also been a problem after the boom. If you have the money and live in the US, buy realistate now when it's low. You'll be glad you did in the next 5 years.

An alternate energy source is what the western world, Canada included, needs.

Drilling won't provide a real boom I don't think, but it should provide a nice buffer of time for the US to pursue real alternative energy strategies which should provide the real boom. But thank god for Canada, can you imagine the US's problems if Canada didn't exist, how lucky are we to have like a low pop country basically FILLED to the GILLS with natural resources right across the border.

Crisco

Banned
So wait, the republicans are putting their nominee on the podium during the opening night of the NFL regular season? Are they just that fucking stupid or do they realize that the more people see of McCain, the worse his chances get?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
JayDubya said:
So since I've never seen an Obama ad and I've seen tons and tons of McCain ads, would it be accurate to say that McCain is wasting money on NeoGAF ads that Evilore happily converts into Obama donations?

I've always said that I have no problem with McCain dumping money on a largely pro-Obama forum.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
JayDubya said:

Sometimes the Invisible Hand is all thumbs.

MThanded

Hitokage said:
I've always said that I have no problem with McCain dumping money on a largely pro-Obama forum.
Yeah because in the long run its wasted money. So he can do what he wants.

syllogism

mccainpalin180.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Crisco said:
So wait, the republicans are putting their nominee on the podium during the opening night of the NFL regular season? Are they just that fucking stupid or do they realize that the more people see of McCain, the worse his chances get?
Doh, just noticed that kickoff is 7pm eastern. NBC will probably win in ratings again with the carryover.

Xenon said:
Tell me how she in ANY way implied a community leader is communist or "homo" as this video suggests.

hahahahahha... seriously? You think that video was implying that? You fail harder with every new post.

JayDubya

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Sometimes the Invisible Hand is all thumbs.

Sometimes.

I won't pretend to know how ads work, but something tells me neither John McCain nor any of his subordinates handpicked this particular website.

OK, this is just unbelievably fucked up.

FBI Wanted Obama Plotters Charged, But A Rove Appointee Said No

Edited on Wed Sep-03-08 09:22 PM by kpete
FBI Wanted Obama Plotters Charged, But A Rove Appointee Said No
By: David Neiwert Wednesday September 3, 2008 5:45 pm

Tharin Gartrell, 28; Shawn Robert Adolf, 33;
and Nathan Johnson, 32

We noticed last week that it was awfully peculiar that Colorado’s U.S. Attorney, Troy Eid, had so airily dismissed conspiracy charges against the three white-supremacist tweakers who were caught planning to assassinate Barack Obama at last week’s Democratic National Convention in Denver.

Even more significant, beyond the details of the plot, was the fact that, as the Colorado Independent notes, the FBI asked for more serious charges to be filed and were turned down.

Another funny thing: When a black man in prison sent a threatening letter containing baby powder to John McCain, Troy Eid brought down the full force of the law, complete with press conferences and public declarations that "We won't stand for threats of this kind in Colorado."

But when it’s a claque of white men with rifles, disguises, and all the accoutrement of a conspiracy – as well as open admissions to it – Troy Eid isn’t worried. After all, they just a bunch of harmless, tweakers, right? … Just like little Timmy McVeigh.

Based on the evidence, FBI special agent Robert Sawyer believed there was probable cause to charge the men with conspiracy to kill Senator Obama. However, US Attorney Troy Eid last week said there is insufficient evidence to indicate a true threat, plot or conspiracy against the senator.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x6910566

gkryhewy

JayDubya said:
Sometimes.

I won't pretend to know how ads work, but something tells me neither John McCain nor any of his subordinates handpicked this particular website.

John McCain isn't aware of any particular web sites.

MThanded

Another funny thing: When a black man in prison sent a threatening letter containing baby powder to John McCain, Troy Eid brought down the full force of the law, complete with press conferences and public declarations that "We won't stand for threats of this kind in Colorado."

Only in America. Repubs on this forum wont touch this though. They know its straight out racist.

suaveric said:
So what is the compliance fund that his ads are now asking donations for? I know he can't spend any donations after tonight.
One of the hundreds of 527's that he has "no control" over, but will still spend 100's of millions getting him elected.

Republican's love to sidestep their own rules.

JaY P.

Huzah said:
Drilling won't provide a real boom I don't think, but it should provide a nice buffer of time for the US to pursue real alternative energy strategies which should provide the real boom. But thank god for Canada, can you imagine the US's problems if Canada didn't exist, how lucky are we to have like a low pop country basically FILLED to the GILLS with natural resources right across the border.

I don't mind drilling. The only concern I have with drilling is that once it is approved, people will get a sense that the problem is over and forget about alternatives and energy efficiency. Now if there is a big compromise say open up areas for drilling and investing into newer technology I'm all for it.

MThanded

Huzah said:
I thought all true Repubs are proud to be racists. News to me.
I wouldnt go that far. Some democrats are racist too. The difference is Republicans run it on their platform.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Huzah said:
See, you say these good soothing words like "efficiency" and "alternatives" but if you go to any energy blog, people have actually done calculations on roughly how much "alternatives" we need to displace oil/gas, hell even just oil, I don't think you truly understand the scale how how much is required.

http://i-r-squared.blogspot.com/2008/05/replacing-gasoline-with-solar-power.html on replacing gasoline with solar

http://i-r-squared.blogspot.com/2007/07/future-is-solar.html on replacing gasoline with biofuels

Here's an article by sci america on going all solar:
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=a-solar-grand-plan

It's going to take a massive amount of industry resources to not only acquire the raw materials but to build these systems as well. Now do a google search on oil depletion and oil demand and current oil production and ask yourself, how much time do we have?

Also, hey, maybe we can give leases that require oil companies to drill them or lose them? What this is impossible?!?!?!
i have a feeling we're talking at different wavelengths. the EIA's analysis on the potential impact of off-shore drilling drives home the point - this is neither a short or long term solution to our energy problem. oil wouldn't flow till 2017 at the earliest, and even then it would marginally affect prices or supply.

as to the rest, i never claimed that 'alternative' or 'efficient' would be easy, but i'm not going out on a limb to say that the country has made neither a priority.

Xenon

MThanded said:
He said equating to a negative almost an epithet.

She did not do that as well.

I think you need this

ep·i·thet Audio Help /ˈɛpəˌθɛt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ep-uh-thet] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. any word or phrase applied to a person or thing to describe an actual or attributed quality: “Richard the Lion-Hearted” is an epithet of Richard I.
2. a characterizing word or phrase firmly associated with a person or thing and often used in place of an actual name, title, or the like, as “man's best friend” for “dog.”
3. a word, phrase, or expression used invectively as a term of abuse or contempt, to express hostility, etc.

I assume this is the definition you are addressing. She in no way shape or form did this.

typhonsentra said:
Only if Obama pushes it, which he should.

I saw some punditry on it, but Plouffe sent out an email about it, and it's definitely getting play. It's up to Obama to push back on it, but I'm confident he will.

Crisco said:

Didn't connect this yet. And it is 2 of the more popular teams overall. Think he is the one that needs an intro from Britney Spears this time.

bhhiqp.jpg

Exactly 5 years ago today. Crazy.

Game was NY v. Washington. But was the Jets instead.

jmdajr

MThanded said:
I wouldnt go that far. Some democrats are racist too. The difference is Republicans run it on their platform.

The dems actually started off as the racist ones. Then it gradually switched to the republicans.

MThanded

Xenon said:
She did not do that as well.

I think you need this

ep·i·thet Audio Help /ˈɛpəˌθɛt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ep-uh-thet] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. any word or phrase applied to a person or thing to describe an actual or attributed quality: “Richard the Lion-Hearted” is an epithet of Richard I.
2. a characterizing word or phrase firmly associated with a person or thing and often used in place of an actual name, title, or the like, as “man's best friend” for “dog.”
3. a word, phrase, or expression used invectively as a term of abuse or contempt, to express hostility, etc.

I assume this is the definition you are addressing. She in no way shape or form did this.

Main Entry:
con·tempt Listen to the pronunciation of contempt
Pronunciation:
\kən-ˈtem(p)t\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin contemptus, from contemnere
Date:
14th century

1 a: the act of despising : the state of mind of one who despises : disdain b: lack of respect or reverence for something2: the state of being despised3: willful disobedience to or open disrespect of a court, judge, or legislative body <contempt of court>

You are dense. Do you know what contempt is? You such a right wing mouth piece crony. Your post just proved that you can use dictionary.com . Did you even read it. Xenon and king Slander a match made in heaven.

jmdajr said:
The dems actually started off as the racist ones. Then it gradually switched to the republicans.
I know this also. The parties really switched roles.

MThanded said:
Main Entry:
con·tempt Listen to the pronunciation of contempt
Pronunciation:
\k&#601;n-&#712;tem(p)t\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin contemptus, from contemnere
Date:
14th century

1 a: the act of despising : the state of mind of one who despises : disdain b: lack of respect or reverence for something2: the state of being despised3: willful disobedience to or open disrespect of a court, judge, or legislative body <contempt of court>

You are dense. Do you know what contempt is?

:lol

I had the exact same thing ready to roll.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
JayDubya said:
Sometimes.

You can specify websites, but you can also just bid generally for context-sensitive placement (i.e., since McCain's name is mentioned at least once a page on average, it means his ad is likely to appear in the banner spot, assuming that his campaign is bidding on the word "McCain"). I agree that it seems unlikely that the McCain campaign would go out of its way to deliberately target a videogames forum.

Incidentally, the campaign may also be bidding on words like "Obama", although I'd question that strategy for the same reason that made you laugh a few posts up, especially since I'm sure those keywords aren't coming cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom