• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
jmdajr said:
The dems actually started off as the racist ones. Then it gradually switched to the republicans.
Indeed, although both parties were fairly racist back in the day, just some didn't think it moral to enslave others.

Xenon said:
She did not do that as well.

I think you need this

ep·i·thet Audio Help /ˈɛpəˌθɛt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ep-uh-thet] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. any word or phrase applied to a person or thing to describe an actual or attributed quality: “Richard the Lion-Hearted” is an epithet of Richard I.
2. a characterizing word or phrase firmly associated with a person or thing and often used in place of an actual name, title, or the like, as “man's best friend” for “dog.”
3. a word, phrase, or expression used invectively as a term of abuse or contempt, to express hostility, etc.

I assume this is the definition you are addressing. She in no way shape or form did this.
ummm yes she did. And did you not hear the laughter?

Xisiqomelir

Xenon said:
She did not do that as well.

I think you need this

ep·i·thet Audio Help /ˈɛpəˌθɛt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ep-uh-thet] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. any word or phrase applied to a person or thing to describe an actual or attributed quality: “Richard the Lion-Hearted” is an epithet of Richard I.
2. a characterizing word or phrase firmly associated with a person or thing and often used in place of an actual name, title, or the like, as “man's best friend” for “dog.”
3. a word, phrase, or expression used invectively as a term of abuse or contempt, to express hostility, etc.

I assume this is the definition you are addressing. She in no way shape or form did this.

Implying that community organisers don't have responsilibilities isn't a contemptuous statement?

Snaku

Banned
Crisco said:
So wait, the republicans are putting their nominee on the podium during the opening night of the NFL regular season? Are they just that fucking stupid or do they realize that the more people see of McCain, the worse his chances get?

Yeah, that connected in my head earlier this morning while listing to sports radio. Can't believe they're gonna put McCain out there while most people are off watching the first game of the NFL season. :lol

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
gkrykewy said:
I'm fairly convinced that John McCain actually died three years ago.

Hey, look at the bright side, in that case we won't have to worry about Palin being president!

polyh3dron said:

I wouldn't press it. It's these laughable community leaders that are right now mobilizing the voters that are going to kick these tacitly ANTI-"Service" bullies to the fucking curb.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
izakq said:
$50 donated to Obama. First time I have ever donated to a campaign. Vilest thing I have ever seen last night.

Good to hear, i'm up to 50 dollars total donated, i might donate more if I can.

Someone in GAF needs to make a gif of the deranged, older Daniel Plainview (in the conversation scene with his grown up son) pointing his finger repeatedly towards the ground making the drilling gesture with the words "drill baby drill" in it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
If she can turn the debate into an energy one they have a very good shot to swipe this away from Obama. Americans are so tired of dems oppossing drilling and talking down to us on energy. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we know we can't drill ourselves out of this problem but it can give us some time and make us less dependant on foreign oil. People in America understand this and if the dems fail to jump on board they could lose an election they have no business not winning by ten points.

Xenon

MThanded said:
Main Entry:
con·tempt Listen to the pronunciation of contempt
Pronunciation:
\kən-ˈtem(p)t\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin contemptus, from contemnere
Date:
14th century

1 a: the act of despising : the state of mind of one who despises : disdain b: lack of respect or reverence for something2: the state of being despised3: willful disobedience to or open disrespect of a court, judge, or legislative body <contempt of court>

You are dense. Do you know what contempt is? You such a right wing mouth piece crony. Your post just proved that you can use dictionary.com . Did you even read it. Xenon and king Slander a match made in heaven.

I know this also. The parties really switched roles.

She did not show any signs of despising community leaders and the lack of respect was only in context of her being belittled for her mayoral experience while Obama has gotten a pass with a much smaller resume. It was not a crack against community leaders. It was just stating that Obama being one was not a qualification for president.

polyh3dron said:

yes, I laughed as well. But I was laughing at the fact that she called people out for their hypocrisy.

ronito

Cooter said:
If she can turn the debate into an energy one they have a very good shot to swipe this away from Obama. Americans are so tired of dems oppossing drilling and talking down to us on energy. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we know we can't drill ourselves out of this problem but it can give us some time and make us less dependant on foreign oil. People in America understand this and if the dems fail to jump on board they could lose an election they have no business not winning by ten points.
I sort of have to agree. Dems are too smart in this. Intellectually there is every reason not to drill but sometimes you have to do stupid stuff to appease the masses.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Cooter said:
haha

Xisiqomelir

Xenon said:
She did not show any signs of despising community leaders and the lack of respect was only in context of her being belittled for her mayoral experience while Obama has gotten a pass with a much smaller resume. It was not a crack against community leaders. It was just stating that Obama being one was not a qualification for president.

"I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a "community organizer," except that you have actual responsibilities. "

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Xenon said:

I have class to go to you guys get him. I do not understand how you can support such ignorance.

Get him.

NLB2

Banned
ronito said:
I sort of have to agree. Dems are too smart in this. Intellectually there is every reason not to drill but sometimes you have to do stupid stuff to appease the masses.
Every reason?

Isn't the only reason not to drill is to not upset mother earth :lol

You guys are out of touch with reality, not just the average American.

Xenon

Xisiqomelir said:
"I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a "community organizer," except that you have actual responsibilities. "

Community leaders are not called on their failings like an elected official, in that sense she is right.

Xenon said:

I remember Wesley Clark saying the exact same thing about being a POW and being savaged by Republicans.

Xenon said:

There's no way around this.

a) 20,000 Republicans laughed at the words and thus the fundamental concept of a "Community Organizer"
b) Sarah Palin said a Community Organizer has no "actual responsibility".

Those are cracks. It's undeniable and indefensible.

Xenon

MThanded said:
I have class to go to you guys get him. I do not understand how you can support such ignorance.

Get him.

Before you go can you tell me where you got your hate goggles so I can better understand your position ;)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Xenon said:
It was not a crack against community leaders.

Of course it was, don't be silly. "actual responsibilities". Come on. Seriously. Come the fuck on. It's cool you like her or are republican or whatever but let's not fuck with objective reality.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Xenon said:
Before you go can you tell me where you got your hate goggles so I can better understand your position ;)
Wait what????????????????? I have hate goggles now? Explain this to me?

gkryhewy

NLB2 said:
Every reason?

No, except for ANWR. The reason not to drill is that it offers a false solution:

1. US oil companies are already sitting on large undrilled land holdings
2. Any oil would take ten years or more to enter the market
3. The amount of oil available is a pittance, particularly given the 10 year delay
4. Time spent focused on drilling is time that could be better spent getting up to speed on alternatives

That said, I'm all for a compromise that includes some limited drilling as well as major initiatives into alternatives. Which is a compromise that Obama supports.

Maybe you'd be more responsive if I included a lolface?

Xenon said:
Community leaders are not called on their failings like an elected official, in that sense she is right.

RESPONSIBILITIES not RESPONSIBILITY.

Come on, man. Seriously. There's no standing to defend this garbage.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
MThanded said:
kanyetar1.jpg

NLB2 said:
Every reason?

I'll admit that some liberals can get kind of carried away in the argument that drilling is the worst energy idea ever since, at face value, I can see some merit to it.

However, the key word there is 'some'. I think my opposition to it extends from me not understanding why it deserves to be a hot button issue. They can argue all they want about how comprehensive their overall plan is, but clearly, their biggest talking point is arguing in favor of drilling. I just don't understand why I'm supposed to get on board when very little effort has gone into quantifying the benefit we're going to see from it. My cynicism suggests that drilling will amount to a drop in the bucket towards saving us from an energy crisis.

Mind you, a drop may be better than nothing, but there's so much hype out there that the liberals are downplaying what's going to happen. Okay, enlighten me. I would just love to see an argument for drilling that is more than an emotional appeal about how we need to act now.

Obama uses his community organizer role as a tentative, minor part of his resume for where he was after college. Palin wasn't a mayor at a comparable time in her life. The comparison is State Senator to Mayor, not Community Organizer.

Xenon

bob_arctor said:
Of course it was, don't be silly. "actual responsibilities". Come on. Seriously. Come the fuck on. It's cool you like her or are republican or whatever but let's not fuck with objective reality.

This from the forum that is trying to turn her remark into a broad statement. Reality left this thread long ago.

Kildace

gkrykewy said:
That said, I'm all for a compromise that includes some limited drilling as well as major initiatives into alternatives. Which is a compromise that Obama supports.

Pretty much. I think that the dems have a very strong position on energy and that the only reason that most people haven't caught on is because all they hear is that position distorted by republicans.
If Palin was head to head with Biden and said that she wants to drill while he doesn't Biden could say that Obama and him are in favor of drilling the vast expanses of land the oil companies are already sitting on while at the same time looking into alternative sources of energy and creating jobs and a competitive edge for america. There isn't much to answer to that except "BuBuBuBut.."

Xenon said:
:lol
Palin acted like being a community organizer was the only thing Obama has ever done. For those of us who take into account these things called FACTS (they're liberal, yes I know), that comparison was disingenuous to say the least.

NLB2

Banned
gkrykewy said:
No, except for ANWR. The reason not to drill is that it offers a false solution:

1. US oil companies are already sitting on large undrilled land holdings
2. Any oil would take ten years or more to enter the market
3. The amount of oil available is a pittance, particularly given the 10 year delay
4. Time spent focused on drilling is time that could be better spent getting up to speed on alternatives

Maybe you'd be more responsive if I included a lolface?

Let's look at your post for reasons not to drill.

1. US oil companies are already sitting on large undrilled land holdings - Not reason not to drill

2. Any oil would take ten years or more to enter the market - Not a reason not to drill

3. The amount of oil available is a pittance, particularly given the 10 year delay - Not a reason not to drill

4. Time spent focused on drilling is time that could be better spent getting up to speed on alternatives - Not a reason not to drill

tfur

Cooter said:

The is NO amount of exploration that can be put into production that will effect our dependence on oil for the next 10 years.

If all of the leases in the gulf were put into production today(which is impossible, standard exploration -> to production in deepwater is 7-10 years before oil collection), it would shave less than 2% of our dependence.

The drilling thing is really a red herring, and is just to appease the ignorant.

Xisiqomelir

Xenon said:
This from the forum that is trying to turn her remark into a broad statement. Reality left this thread long ago.

ronito

bob_arctor said:
30mnxy0.jpg

Xenon

MThanded said:

Your contempt for the Republican Party is very obvious. If you think it doesn’t affect your perspective your kidding yourself.

i think of the drilling issue like i do a heroin addict. so you're trying to get the guy off his poison, but you can't do it precipitously. you have to ween it them off with alternatives. sometimes he may relapse one or two times. but domestic drilling is like giving the addict a brick full of heroin while assuming at some point he'll be cured when its all gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom