• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freki

delirium said:
I still don't see a valid reason for getting out. We still have troops in Germany, Japan, and South Korea. It will be no different than with Iraq.

Last time I checked Germans don't try to kill US soldiers every day.

if anyone wants to watch the news Real Time with Bill Maher, it's here

start at "Real Time Opening Segment August 29, 2008" and work backwards for the proper order I think.

Jak140 said:
All right GAF, here's the youtube of Sarah Palin laughing as her colleague & cancer survivor Lyda Green is called a "bitch" and a "cancer."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKkydrUnBZE

Someone with a lot of friends on Digg please link it there. It's pretty daming and should do some damage if we can get it out there.
That could've easily been a nervous "WTF?" laugh, because the guy says such stupid shit?

What horrible radio station is that anyway? www.Billoreilypodcast.com?

Jak140

Souldriver said:
That could've easily been a nervous "WTF?" laugh, because the guy says such stupid shit?

What horrible radio station is that anyway? www.Billoreilypodcast.com?

Yeah, she was so offended by the remark that she says it would be an honor to meet him at the end of the show and then goes back on his show again (with John McCain) yesterday.

Jak140 said:
Yeah, she was so offended by the remark that she says it would be an honor to meet him at the end of the show and then goes back on his show again (with John McCain) yesterday.
I don't know how much time was cut out between the bitch/cancer part and the invitation part. Also, this probably is the radio station all her hardcore fans listen to, so it shouldn't be that big of a surprise that she doesn't say "fuck that shit, I dun wanna see you" at the end. If anything, a radio station like the one in the Youtube video should be trashed to the ground.

Now, a better politician should indeed have said "now now, don't say that about her. She may be my opponent, but she's not a bitch", but you know politicians. If this isn't a widely listened to radio show, if the only audience is your electoral vote, if you don't run for something big like VP (yet), I'm fairly sure a lot of other politicians would've just kinda laughed and listened to the host's rant too, instead of starting an argument with someone who delivers your votes.

Again, this youtube video says more about American media/journalism than anything else.

That being said, if somehow Obama's campaign uses this against her, that's Palins problem, since she shouldn't go on such a horrible radio show in the first place, if she wants to be an integer politician.

Smiles and Cries said:
VP does not help much but it sure can hurt you though. I wonder if McCain sunk his chances with Palin?

McCain's VP matters a lot more because of his health problems. There's a very real chance of him dying in office, so they're really electing one president and a backup president.

Jak140

Souldriver said:
Now, a better politician should indeed have said "now now, don't say that about her. She may be my opponent, but she's not a bitch", but you know politicians. If this isn't a widely listened to radio show, if the only audience is your electoral vote, if you don't run for something big like VP (yet), I'm fairly sure a lot of other politicians would've just kinda laughed and listened to the host's rant too, instead of starting an argument with someone who delivers your votes.

At the very least she could have avoided appearing on the same show again, on the very day of her VP nomination no less. It just shows poor judgment and poor taste on her part.

Clevinger

Souldriver said:

Yeah, I think so too. I'm now kind of sad McCain picked her because she seems like a relatively decent person, where as McCain should be the reason his campaign crashes and burns and should be the center of well deserved ridicule.

esbern

AndyIsTheMoney said:
im starting to think the democrat party is a religion and obama is its messiah after reading this thread.
you clearly haven't seen the amount of fucking up obama has done in the last few months

Jak140 said:
At the very least she could have avoided appearing on the same show again, on the very day of her VP nomination no less. It just shows poor judgment and poor taste on her part.
Absolutely agree.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Good to see the Internet vetting the VP Candidate

After she was picked, It's becoming painfully obvious that if she was vetted, it was not very in depth

Lemonz

ST. PAUL (AP) -- Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama begins airing an ad Saturday that responds to rival John McCain's selection of a running mate, carefully avoiding any direct criticism of Sarah Palin, the Alaska governor whom McCain chose for the GOP ticket.

Obama's campaign promptly created the spot in advance of next week's Republican National Convention. The ad, called "No Change," sought to sustain the theme that Obama and Democrats worked to cultivate at their own convention this week - that McCain represents a continuation of the policies of an unpopular President Bush.

"Well, he's made his choice," the ad states. "But, for the rest of us there's still no change. McCain doesn't get it, calling this broken economy 'strong.' Wants to keep spending ten-billion-a-month in Iraq. And votes with George Bush 90 percent of the time."

The ad continues: "So, while this may be his running mate..." as an image of McCain and Palin appears on the screen. The image then shifts to a shot of McCain with Bush. "America knows this is John McCain's agenda. And we can't afford four more years of the same."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CVN_OBAMA_AD?SIT...

Clevinger

esbern said:
you clearly haven't seen the amount of fucking up obama has done in the last few months

or that the bar for politicians has been set so low lately that a good/semi-honest one like Obama with plenty of flaws is seen as orgasmic.

Cheebs

Suikoguy said:
Good to see the Internet vetting the VP Candidate

After she was picked, It's becoming painfully obvious that if she was vetted, it was not very in depth
From a article I read he wanted to Lieberman all the way up until SUNDAY. She was only talked to back in Feb once when the vp list was very large. It was obviously very rushed. No way she was fully vetted. Mainly because all the candidates who got fully vetted on both sides leaked to the press. She didn't.

Cheebs said:
From a article I read he wanted to Lieberman all the way up until SUNDAY. She was only talked to back in Feb once when the vp list was very large. It was obviously very rushed. No way she was fully vetted. Mainly because all the candidates who got fully vetted on both sides leaked to the press. She didn't.

Which probably means they were trying to avoid ruining the surprise. Which means, once again, I was right and the primary impetus for this pick was to own a news cycle. Nothing about governing. Nothing about putting states or demographics in play that weren't already. Just for the chatter.

Unbelievable.

Kildace

Clevinger said:
or that the bar for politicians has been set so low lately that a good/semi-honest one like Obama with plenty of flaws is seen as orgasmic.

Disagree, the scrutiny is just that much more intense and it's much easier to find dirt on people during the age of the Internet.
Most revered presidents of america's history might not have been elected if they had had to deal with 24h cable news networks and youtube.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Mandark said:
This is at least the second time you've done this. It's redistribution that you want to carp about.
No, he prefers that one person have all the money. Lurn 2 read mandumb LOL!11

LM4sure

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
Keep spinning. :lol That laugh is gleeful. You peeps are crazy!!!

Whatever no one cares. This won't make news. OMG, she laughed!! How dare she?!!?

Didn't Obama freebase? That's pretty damning, isn't it?

LM4sure said:
Whatever no one cares. This won't make news. OMG, she laughed!! How dare she?!!?

Do you have ANY idea how the world is run now? The internet rules at least 50% of the news cycles. ANYTHING discussed on the net about her is likely to get covered and covered deeply by the MSM; not only that, but she's a candidate for Vice President of the United States! You cannot deny...CANNOT deny that her having the possibility to be put in the most powerful position in the world and that her doing the things she has done will be called questionable by...pretty much everyone! Everyone cares, at some level. Some people to champion their candidate, and some people for their country.

The thing with this is...both will come to the same conclusion.

Clevinger

LM4sure said:

This is newsworthy because they've been trying to sway the female vote, and it's a present to the 24 hour networks all wrapped in a nice little soundbyte.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm at the Denver airport now (with it's awesome free wi-fi), going on a business trip and man, I thought the democrats would stick around for the weekend. They are leaving in droves. Lots of people took home those vertical signs from the convention floor as souvenirs.

I wake up to see Sega Sammy banned? Thank god.

Oh and here's a nugget with McCain being against earmarks and all.......

http://mediamatters.org/items/200808290024?f=h_latest

Summary: Forbes.com's Brian Wingfield asserted that Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin "shares [Sen. John] McCain's opposition to earmarks." However, in a Juneau Empire op-ed, John Katz -- Alaska's director of state-federal relations and special counsel to Palin -- wrote that in 2008, the Palin administration "request[ed] 31 earmarks, down from 54 last year."

No matter what you say about the woman, she has just as much (actually more) experience to be President (let alone Vice President) than Obama. Great pick, and for Republicans it was a needed selection. Had Liberman been picked, I wouldn't have voted. Why would I (as a conservative) vote for a Liberman / McCain ticket?

gkryhewy

thefro said:
That was quick... we're on the recommended diaries list at Daily Kos! Next stop "Countdown", "Air America", and the MSM

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/8/30/82113/4808/746/579971

Go GAF! :D

Excellent work.

HocusPocus said:
No matter what you say about the woman, she has just as much (actually more) experience to be President (let alone Vice President) than Obama.

I see W's fuzzy math is alive and well with the neocon talking point crowd :lol :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
HocusPocus said:
No matter what you say about the woman, she has just as much experience to be President (let alone Vice President) than Obama.

I don't really understand this.

nataku

HocusPocus said:
No matter what you say about the woman, she has just as much (actually more) experience to be President (let alone Vice President) than Obama.

Care to explain?

Probably not.

HocusPocus said:
No matter what you say about the woman, she has just as much (actually more) experience to be President (let alone Vice President) than Obama. Great pick, and for Republicans it was a needed selection. Had Liberman been picked, I wouldn't have voted. Why would I (as a conservative) vote for a Liberman / McCain ticket?
No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

She's next in line for pres of the U.S. How the heck can you be so nonchalant about the running of our country? This woman looks like a nutty teenager! One who revels in the spotlight!

I will not fucking have her running our country.

I'm an independent and I approve of this message, but not yours.

syllogism

HocusPocus said:
She has a degree in journalism from a no name university and has been a governor of a small state for 20 months, that's the extent of her "experience".

esbern

lol the pic on ny times website:
30palin3.large.jpg

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
HocusPocus said:
how does her experience leave her ready to lead this country? what direction will she take the country in? what are her policies on national security, education, health care, the economy? what type of role would she play in a McCain administration?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
HocusPocus said:

If I'm the manager of a Mcdonalds for a year, does that mean I'm more qualified than a board member to be the CEO?

The woman has BARELY been in office. Experience my ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom