• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
HolyStar said:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/06/09/ST2008060900950.html

You seem to be like Solaris claiming logic and the importance of the use of logical debate while using none yourself. While history does show us that presidents go back on their word the argument in question was comparing McCain's plan vs. Obama's plan.

You can't hold any of these schlubs at their word regarding taxes. History HAS proven that. Plans are nice and dandy, but it's the principles behind the candidate that are more important to me.

avaya said:
Oh. You're one of those.

Thank you so much for further proving my point.

Amir0x

Banned
So you dont believe anybody, yet you believe McCain's ideas are more in line with yours, even though that's speculation (by your standard) since nothing said by any of these candidates is believable

you are a special one, Cogent. Stop trolling this thread.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Amir0x said:
So you dont believe anybody, yet you believe McCain's ideas are more in line with yours, even though that's speculation (by your standard) since nothing said by any of these candidates is believable

you are a special one, Cogent. Stop trolling this thread.

Amirox, please, spare me.

I don't believe in unfettered abortion like the Dems do, one issue in particular of many. The Dems have been taken over by the crazy far left (this forum is a good example of that).

Obviously the point has eluded you.

Cheebs

Dr_Cogent said:
You can't hold any of these schlubs at their word regarding taxes. History HAS proven that. Plans are nice and dandy, but it's the principles behind the candidate that are more important to me.
Principles huh? What principles does McCain have? Does a principled man pick a inexperienced no namer purely cause she has a vagina?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Dr_Cogent said:
then you're talking at a wavelength different than most everyone else here except for Ultimakilo.

HolyStar

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:

Again this is a logical fallacy using history to predict the future on what means?

woxel1 said:
Cogent you sound like a dick. Get out of this thread.

No more of this please

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Cheebs said:
Principles huh? What principles does McCain have? Does a principled man pick a inexperienced no namer purely cause she has a vagina?

That move is completely political. You don't think Obama does things for political reaons thinking it's going to further his career? You honestly believe that?

See, once again, you assume I'm some sort of lover of McCain. Lesser of two evils.

Thank you people, for proving my original points.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Kolgar said:
I saw Palin on a CNBC interview last night about oil drilling in Alaska (taped last Monday, I understand) and she appeared bright and charming. I think John McCain was right when he said, "but when you get to know her, you'll be just as impressed as I am."

An open mind. Yes, that's the ticket.

I can dig it. She did seem like cool peoples in front of the cameras, no question. I just don't see how she helps McCain considering where she stands on the issues. I could almost buy the argument that she was picked to leech off some of the disaffected Clinton supporters but I just don't think there are that many, that uninformed and that willing to forgo their principles just to elect "one of their own". That kind of person was probably already voting McCain out of sheer spite. If anything, with her anti-abortion record, women probably consider the pick somewhat of a calculated stunt, an ultimately insulting one at that.

It seems McCain was willing to completely cede the inexperience card against Obama...and for what? So that Biden won't be such a volatile attack dog during the debates? And if he is, all the better: sympathy quotient through the roof?

I just don't see how she helps.

Edit: She does consolidate the base, this much is true. But my feeling is that the base would always get in line at the end of the day. It's what they do. Even a Romney pick wouldn't have turned them away considering the horrible, American-family-destroying alternative of President Obama.

Amir0x

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
Amirox, please, spare me.

I don't believe in unfettered abortion like the Dems do, one issue in particular of many. The Dems have been taken over by the crazy far left (this forum is a good example of that).

Obviously the point has eluded you.

It very clearly HAS eluded me, as you become increasingly paranoid about the discussion and dismiss facts and sources and candidates as know-nothing liars while you support yours as some "lesser evil" show of defiance.

You are either being intentionally ignorant or you're trolling, so you decide on which one so we can go further.

mckmas8808 said:
HOLD ON!!! Why the fuck is this not a bigger deal?! McCain can not get away with this can he? This is too stupid.
Because only nerds respect Wikipedia and its rules. I bet to the majority of people there shouldn't be any restriction on editing your own page. "It's my information! Who knows it better than me? Why shouldn't I decide what people know about me?" The company my sister worked for kept having their Wiki page deleted since it was little more than an aggrandizing press release. And journalists piss on anything that can be written & edited by laymen (see: blogs). They use LexisNexis.

Kolgar

Well, another thing about Palin and politics in general in times like these.

There's a lot of spin and a lot of... exaggeration and distortion of other people's statements. For example, I watched that interview where McCain supposedly said he defines middle class as less than $5 million per year.

And then I roll my eyes at how a tongue-in-cheek comment is turned around and used as a weapon against him (about 90 seconds) later.

Likewise, we've got people saying, "But Palin doesn't even know what a vice president does!" Another less-than-serious statement twisted to make someone look bad. And as for Iraq, well, isn't her son going there? Somehow I think she knows a little something about that country and what's going on. She has a personal interest.

So, I'm taking a wait and see. We have 66 days or so until November 4 and I'm going to enjoy getting to know Governor Palin and the rest of the candidates. I look forward to hearing them speak and listening to what they have to say. But I'm going to be very careful about second-hand information, because both camps (and more than a few news agencies) are all too happy to take comments out of context and portray them as something they're not.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
I don't believe in unfettered abortion like the Dems do, one issue in particular of many.

When is it okay to have an abortion in your opinion?

Condoms can break. Accidents happen. But they can't be proven. The woman could be stupid and having unprotected sex or a condom could break. There's no way to prove that.

gkryhewy

Dr_Cogent said:
I am a grown adult now and I try to keep from behaving like my 5 year old does as much as possible.

Hmmmm....

Dr_Cogent said:
I certainly hope Obama does lose, because that will be so fucking funny to watch on this forum. The meltdowns would be priceless.

You are a troll and a hypocrite.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Dr_Cogent said:
That move is completely political. You don't think Obama does things for political reaons thinking it's going to further his career? You honestly believe that?
Can you cite anything that comes close to picking Ms. Arctic Whats-a-vice-president as next in line for most powerful person in the world purely as a political stunt? Bull fucking shit you can. At this point you really are just being a troll.

omg rite said:
When is it okay to have an abortion in your opinion?

Condoms can break. Accidents happen. But they can't be proven. The woman could be stupid and having unprotected sex or a condom could break. There's no way to prove that.
No point in turning this thread into one of those. And at least it's actually a stance on something.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
As the Amir0x post points out, there are so many mind boggling things about this choice that I can't even begin to comprehend why mcCain made it. And I don't even consider myself a Dem or Repub, just a guy who looks at the facts and tries to make a good call. I've wanted to give Palin the benefit of the doubt, just like I have McCain, but...it only takes a couple hours of researching to tell, this shit makes no sense. There were more qualified people. People who were in line with what the Mccain campaign is pushing. Fucking women who looked better on paper than Palin. People who had more foreign policy experience than "A son in Iraq!" & "Alaska's right up there being a neighbor of Russia, that's her experience!". And now all of a sudden being a hunter is qualification fo being a VP? I seriously read that in my newspaper this morning, an opinion article stating how her hunting skills oughta help us track down Osama Bin Laden.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

It's just positively mind blowing how far people would push such a weak resume. If Obama picked someone like Palin, I'd be saying the same thing as I am right now. This is almost insulting to me, having to watch people grab excuses and pull together bull shit like "She has equal experience with Obama!" as if arguments like that don't crumble under the weight of a feather. I may not have preferred McCain, but I respected him as a candidate. He atleast had something different to offer. Palin, however, has nothing, and it was ultimately up to McCain to choose her (since most everyone else wanted Romney, and the rest probably would have picked anyone else on his shortlist). He's lost my respect with this shit, a blatant ploy to grab a small section of votes that he didn't need and probably can't get with the woman he's chosen. It's all just a matter of reading the fine print and he loses them.

Personally, if I had to make sense of it, I'd say it's just stroking his fanbase's ego in the most quick draw way possible. All the people who were going to vote him already basically treated the Palin pick as if he just locked up the woman vote, no questions asked (all these people were men, btw). People on the fence and people voting obama (both genders) called bull shit on this. I dunno how it's been with you guys, but around here, the distinction was just made obvious yesterday between the people who've been following the campaign closely and those who just go into the booth on election day, look at the party, and vote. The trouble, come Nov. 4, is....how much of America is which?

Arde5643

hi guys, wanna see a political stunt?

s-PALIN-large.jpg

Hi, I was a POW, and my VP has a baby with DOWN syndromes, SHOWN RIGHT HERE, HERE!! SEE THAT BABY??

Clevinger

Kolgar said:
Well, another thing about Palin and politics in general in times like these.

There's a lot of spin and a lot of... exaggeration and distortion of other people's statements. For example, I watched that interview where McCain supposedly said he defines middle class as less than $5 million per year.

And then I roll my eyes at how a tongue-in-cheek comment is turned around and used as a weapon against him (about 90 seconds) later.

I agree, it's wrong to take it out of context. But at the same time, he dodged that question every time he was asked so people can't know what he actually thinks.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
demon said:
Can you cite anything that comes close to picking Ms. Arctic Whats-a-vice-president as next in line for most powerful person in the world purely as a political stunt? Bull fucking shit you can. At this point you really are just being a troll.

Please point out where I said anything regarding his pick for VP or my support of it.

Personally, I think it's a pure political move. Just like Obama getting involved with that church with the lunatic pastor. Oh wait, I probably am not allowed to mention that here.

My point still stands. Many here can't argue against the fact about why she's been chosen without resorting to acting like kids. If it was left to the facts and all the name calling and baby shit was left out, I would have never commented to begin with.

Haunted

I don't see what's so bad about having political reasons for political decisions.

But it becomes a real problem when these political reasons do not extend further than "to get elected" and completely disregard the fact that, in the case of election, the country is stuck with a VP (possibly a prez) for 4 years who doesn't have the qualification, nor the experience to govern the country.

It's a superficial and transparent move, and I really, really hope enough Us ctizens are smart and informed enough to see right through it.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Arde5643 said:
hi guys, wanna see a political stunt?

s-PALIN-large.jpg

Hi, I was a POW, and my VP has a baby with DOWN syndromes, SHOWN RIGHT HERE, HERE!! SEE THAT BABY??
wow. that's....tasteless.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Haunted said:
I don't see what's so bad about having political reasons for political decisions.

But it becomes a real problem when these political reasons do not extend further than "to get elected" and completely disregard the fact that, in the case of election, the country is stuck with a VP (possibly a prez) for 4 years who doesn't have the qualification, nor the experience to govern the country. At all.

That very same argument can be made of Obama. And he would be first in command.

McCain has more experience than Obama, so what's the contradiction to that argument?

Bringing up experience is a weak argument. Their past records and what they stand on would be more useful ammo.

Dr_Cogent said:
Wait...:lol Is there an argument to be made? You people can't have a civil discussion and stick to the facts, as in a formal debate. If someone has an opposing viewpoint here (i.e. if you aren't an Obamaite), you are basically ridiculed, called names and dismissed as an idiot. I am a grown adult now and I try to keep from behaving like my 5 year old does as much as possible.

I'm detecting a bit of sarcasm in this post.

Cheebs

Kolgar said:
well, isn't her son going there? Somehow I think she knows a little something about that country and what's going on. She has a personal interest
She stated mere weeks ago that she doesn't know what is going on in Iraq or follows the war enough to take a position on it but she trusts our President.

That does not sound like someone who knows what is going on.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Cheebs said:
She stated mere weeks ago that she doesn't know what is going on in Iraq or follows the war enough to take a position on it but she trusts our President.

That does not sound like someone who knows what is going on.
Seriously? Can I have a source on that?

Cheebs

I think we can claim finally McCain did something more STUPID than Bush did when he was in the same position. Bush picked a crazy neocon but he was at least qualified to take over that office.

Bush did something BETTER than McCain, my god.

Haunted

Dr_Cogent said:
Their past records and what they stand on would be more useful ammo.
Very true!

Looking at both the economy and foreign policy (not being a US citizen, by far the most important subject for me), the comparison becomes infinitely more advantageous for Obama.

Voting along about 90% of the time with the worst president the US had for a good long while is reason enough to completely forgo McCain.

Kolgar

I guess another reason I'm so willing to give Palin a chance is that her selection didn't shock me like most (haha, eat your heart out, Karl Rove).

I read an article back in, oh, maybe June, where the author made a case for why Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska should be John McCain's running mate. It detailed her staunch adherence to her own principals and how she even went after people in her own party to weed out corruption. It portrayed her as a strong fighter yet someone eminently likeable, with an approval rating of around 85%.

It was the first time I'd heard about Sarah Palin, but I came away impressed enough to hope that McCain might actually consider her. When her name came up in the fiery speculation yesterday, I laughed good-naturedly and thought, "wow."

Now we get to see what she can do. My guess is she's something kind of special. If you think about it, it really doesn't make sense that John McCain would choose Palin just to siphon Hillary supporters. The two women differ on almost every viewpoint. No, there's something else about Sarah Palin, and I can't wait to see what it is.

We're all GAF vets here, so tell me: why the fuck are people responding to Dr. Cognent? His true purpose was revealed when he basically admitted he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about, and is instead improvising his argument on the go to ensure the most possible damage

But back to real issues:

Politico's piece on "6 things the Palin pick says about McCain"
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12997.html

Some people complained about the piece they did on Obama's piece but this should show they're pretty non-partisan

4. He’s not worried about the actuarial implications of the age issue. He thinks he’s in fine fettle, and Palin wouldn’t be performing the only constitutional duty of a vice president, which is standing by in case a president dies or becomes incapacitated. If he was really concerned about an inexperienced person sitting in the Oval Office we would be writing about vice presidential nominee Mitt Romney or Tom Ridge or Condoleezza Rice.

There is no plausible way that McCain could say that he picked Palin, who was only elected governor in 2006 and whose most extended public service was as mayor of Wasilla, Alaska (population 8,471), because she was ready to be president on Day One.

Nor can McCain argue that he was looking for someone he could trust as a close adviser. Most people know the staff at the local Starbucks better than McCain knows Palin. They met for the first time last February at a National Governors Association meeting in Washington. Then, they spoke again — by phone — on Sunday while she was at the Alaska state fair and he was at home in Arizona.

McCain has made a mockery out of his campaign's longtime contention that Barack Obama is too dangerously inexperienced to be commander in chief. Now, the Democratic ticket boasts 40 years of national experience (four years for Obama and 36 years for Joseph Biden of Delaware), while the Republican ticket has 26 (McCain’s four yeasr in the House and 22 in the Senate.)

The McCain campaign has made a calculation that most voters don’t really care about the national experience or credentials of a vice president, and that Palin’s ebullient personality and reputation as a refomer who took on cesspool politics in Alasksa matters more.

Dr_Cogent said:
My argument wasn't ever about the facts, more about the demeanor and lameness that always goes on here (which to me, are facts).

What you fail to realize is that people like Gaborn and JayDubya can formulate a coherent argument, even if a lot of us disagree with them. Now someone like Sega Sammy was just a troll who spewed right-wing talking points. He pretended to know anything about Obama's policies, which ultimately got him banned.

Clevinger

Dr_Cogent said:
My argument wasn't ever about the facts, more about the demeanor and lameness that always goes on here (which to me, are facts).

First you say we don't talk about the issues. Then you say all the issues we talk about are bullshit and we're dumb for talking about them because all politicians are full of shit. Then you say we aren't civil and we just insult those who disagree with us, all the while insulting us in the process.

Fuck you. Seriously. You're a fucking walking mass of hypocrisy and stupidity and you've made everyone in this thread dumber for reading and replying to your inane debate.

Cheebs

Kolgar said:
The two women differ on almost every viewpoint. No, there's something else about Sarah Palin, and I can't wait to see what it is.
Most people in this thread are more qualified on the issues of national security and foreign policy than her. Is that something else?

Kolgar

Cheebs said:
Most people in this thread are more qualified on the issues of national security and foreign policy than her. Is that something else?

We shall see. John McCain may have met with Palin only once, but I don't think anyone here has ever met her at all.

As I said, this thread isn't the best place for me until we all get to see a little more of Palin and learn more about why McCain made the selection. Some here may think they know, but that's really only about as far as it goes.

Carry on.

deadbeef

Jason's Ultimatum said:
What you fail to realize is that people like Gaborn and JayDubya can formulate a coherent argument, even if a lot of us disagree with them. Now someone like Sega Sammy was just a troll who spewed right-wing talking points. He pretended to know anything about Obama's policies, which ultimately got him banned.

He got banned too though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom