• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmdajr

MThanded said:
Slowly, slowly, I am recovering from the extremely effective bilge festival staged by the Republicans last night. And while there is much to discuss, there was one item, in particular, that has to be considered infuriating: the attack on Barack Obama's service as a community organizer by the odious Rudy Giuliani--he's come to look like a villain in a Frank Capra movie, hasn't he?--and Sarah Palin.

This morning, I received a press release from a group called Catholic Democrats about the work--the mission, the witness--that Obama performed after he got out of college. Here's the first paragraph:

Catholic Democrats is expressing surprise and shock that Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin's acceptance speech tonight mocked her opponent's work in the 1980s for the Catholic Campaign for Human Development. She belittled Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama's experience as a community organizer in Catholic parishes on the South Side of Chicago, work he undertook instead of pursuing a lucrative career on Wall Street. In her acceptance speech, Ms. Palin said, "I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a community organizer, except that you have actual responsibilities." Community organizing is at the heart of Catholic Social Teaching to end poverty and promote social justice.

So here is what Giuliani and Palin didn't know: Obama was working for a group of churches that were concerned about their parishioners, many of whom had been laid off when the steel mills closed on the south side of Chicago. They hired Obama to help those stunned people recover and get the services they needed--job training, help with housing and so forth--from the local government. It was, dare I say it, the Lord's work--the sort of mission Jesus preached (as opposed to the war in Iraq, which Palin described as a "task from God.")

This is what Palin and Giuliani were mocking. They were making fun of a young man's decision "to serve a cause greater than himself," in the words of John McCain. They were, therefore, mocking one of their candidate's favorite messages. Obama served the poor for three years, then went to law school. To describe this service--the first thing he did out of college, the sort of service every college-educated American should perform, in some form or other--as anything other than noble is cheap and tawdry and cynical in the extreme.

Perhaps La Pasionaria of the Northern Slope didn't know this when she read the words they gave her. But Giuliani--a profoundly lapsed Catholic, who must have met more than a few religious folk toiling in the inner cities--should have known. ("I don't even know what that is," he sneered.") What a shameful performance.

damn

GOP better apologize quick

ronito

lol.
I just overheard a republican coworker say, "Don't ever talk to Ron about politics. He's got facts and numbers and shit."

PoliGAF: We have numbers and shit.

MThanded said:
Good to see you here.!?!.. Also im hoping not too epic.

I'm always in this thread. Posting from the school computer lab since my new computer hasn't arrived yet.

DailyKos has the polling data released yesterday, but including all third party candidates.

Ohio:
Obama (D) 45
McCain (R) 44
Nader (I) 5
Barr (L) 2
McKinney (G) 1

Minnesota:
Obama (D) 51
McCain (R) 37
Nader (I) 4
Barr (L) 2
McKinney (G) 1

Iowa:
Obama (D) 51
McCain (R) 38
Nader (I) 4
Barr (L) 3
McKinney (G) 2

The included candidates hurt both Obama and McCain but it seems like McCain's numbers decrease more. I wonder how this will effect him in places like Georgia and NC...and speaking of NC

The news is slightly better for McCain in North Carolina; at least he's leading, if only by a bit. Per Democracy Corps / GQR:

McCain (R) 47
Obama (D) 44

A lead is a lead, but quite frankly, McCain ought to be concerned about such a small margin in North Carolina. With a little luck, a good voter-registration drive, and a good ground game, Obama might be able to pick off the state and its 15 electoral votes...something even Bill Clinton could not do in two electoral-college landslides.

Registration is going on like crazy in NC. Dunno if Obama will win the state but god damn it's close

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
GhaleonEB said:
Good. This needs to take off like a jet. They were mocking the entire idea of service - which was supposedly the theme of their convention from the day before.

Are you going to update your viewership numbers? I'm still stunned at Palin's numbers approaching Obama's. Star power confirmed. No other pick for McCain would've given him that much attention. NOT A SINGLE ONE.

Now, whether they can leverage that attention into positive coverage for their campaign (nothing on that front so far) is another matter.

edit: I'm so late. :lol

My boss steps into my office to talk while I was typing the above, and by the time I finished and hit submit, you'd already posted the numbers. Thanks.

jmdajr said:
sum up

-Is being a community organizer not a noble thing to do? Helping people get jobs etc?

-Republicans on the attack and ignoring the issues of health care, education, poverty etc.

-Palin will be treated like any other political opponent woman or not, and scrutinized.

-on Obama bashing , "I've heard worse on the basketball court"

obama-wiping-off-shoulder.jpg

fin said:
I completely agree. Increasing the production of oil isn't going to cause the price of gas to decrease, ever. Price per barrel is around $108, down from $140 last month. I'm not seeing the savings at the pumps.
I'm seeing about 50 cents a gallon savings from a few weeks ago.

VanMardigan said:
Are you going to update your viewership numbers? I'm still stunned at Palin's numbers approaching Obama's. Star power confirmed. No other pick for McCain would've given him that much attention. NOT A SINGLE ONE.

Now, whether they can leverage that attention into positive coverage for their campaign (nothing on that front so far) is another matter.

My boss steps into my office to talk while I was typing the above, and by the time I finished and hit submit, you'd already posted the numbers. Thanks.

It has little to do with "star" power. Sarah Palin has been the major political story for the last week. Every network and newspaper has been covering her, and all these leaks have people interested. Many people turned into Obama's speech wanting to know what the big deal was, and I expect many more people turned into the Palin speech wondering that, as well as "who the fuck is this."

Polls suggest people liked what they saw from Obama's speech. Lets see how things play out going into the weekend concerning any positive/negative effect Palin had

GhaleonEB

VanMardigan said:

Heh, just caught the edit. Palin's numbers were huge. I actually think that's a good thing in this environment - she's rallying a smaller GOP base relative to the Democratic base, and independants are being turned off (according to the data available so far).

harSon said:
Why............
Not surprising, its primetime and more people are paying attention to this election and more people probably wanted to see her speech because nobody really knows who she is, it will be interesting to see what the ratings will be tonight.

polyh3dron said:
For all these people touting Palin's executive experience, just remember..

George W Bush was the Governor of Texas.

But he was governor longer wasn't he?
And he did own (pwn?) the Texas Rangers.....there stadium is bigger than Palin's town

And Texas is a big state, Alaska is Moose

Hootie

NullPointer said:
obama-wiping-off-shoulder.jpg

Pfft, this is MUCH better:

2u727t3.jpg

ronito said:
lol.
I just overheard a republican coworker say, "Don't ever talk to Ron about politics. He's got facts and numbers and shit."

:lol

I feel that way about my economic issues discussion with Cooter. I presented a well-thought out economic analysis and then he disappeared.

Mahadev

ronito said:
lol.

My God this is the most depressing post I've read all week. You just can't win with the idiots.

Shiggie

“Sounds like Rep. Westmoreland should be careful throwing stones from his candidate's eight glass houses,” said Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor.
:lol :lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mahadev said:
My God this is the most depressing post I've read all week. You just can't win with the idiots.
Some people in this thread shouldn't get too complacent and think they can bandwagon to intelligence.

VanMardigan said:
Another chance for me to say that Huck is awesome. If he could learn to phrase some of his policies so that they don't scare off the far left, he'd be so damn popular. Obama should give him pointers on putting out his opinion on issues without using the word "God" or "Bible"
The whole "God" angle is all that keeps him in the Republican good graces. He doesn't hate poor people enough, otherwise.

theBishop

Banned
ronito said:
lol.

Republicans have a seething indifference to the reality-based community:

Ron Suskind said:
The [senior Bush] aide said that guys like me were ''in what we call the reality-based community,'' which he defined as people who ''believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.'' I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. ''That's not the way the world really works anymore,'' he continued. ''We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.''

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/17/magazine/17BUSH.html

GhaleonEB

speculawyer said:
:lol

I feel that way about my economic issues discussion with Cooter. I presented a well-thought out economic analysis and then he disappeared.
You killed him with facts.

Heartless bastard.

syllogism

Hootie said:
Whoa, Obama/Biden now want to pursue criminal charges against the Bush administration? I thought Obama said he wouldn't. That'd be awesome if he did, though.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/sep/03/uselections2008.joebiden

This has probably been posted already but I had a shit-ton of HW last night and I missed out on dozens of pages.
Biden was just asked a question and he gave a very general answer. Of course they would pursue charges if crimes were committed.

Hootie said:
Whoa, Obama/Biden now want to pursue criminal charges against the Bush administration? I thought Obama said he wouldn't. That'd be awesome if he did, though.

Pelosi took it off the table for the Congress.

Obama has said a few times that he would be looking at the record once elected, and, depending on the severity, persuing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom