• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So it seems like there is parity in the volume of attacks towards each party? REALLY? That's like saying the DNC and the RNC have had an equal amount of hate and vitriol.

Mahadev

ComputerNerd said:
Why are so many people in this thread assholes?

Oh there are so many reasons. First it is because lying scumbags like Guiliani, Romney and Palin are throwing mud and talking out of their asses to mindless masses who chant ZERO and DRILL BABY DRILL pissing us off.

Second there are posters like NLB2 and Gaborn to whom you repeatedly expain the same thing based on facts and numbers and they still ignore you and start babbling about their fantasy scenario where drilling will do great good for the country. After 5-6 tries you eventually get frustrated and rightfully start writing like a condescending asshole.

ronito

Amir0x said:
Just a little floaty moderation: be careful the way you handle your barbs, please. If you say all Republicans are greasy, two-faced liars... expect that the response will be a bitter one. Let's not resort to childish insulting in order to get our points across, it's simply going to make everyone angry at each other.

There are plenty of reasonable Republicans and plenty of reasonable Democrats. While it is my belief that the McCain-Palin campaign is run by cynicism and casual disregard for voters, this is not necessarily a symptom of all Republicans. It is also completely logical and perfectly sane to believe we need less government, instead of more. We can dispute these positions without automatically condemning the entire fucking party.

I keep getting these PMs from individuals saying to ban this person or that, but when I inspect the act it's usually both sides in the wrong. I don't want to have to keep banning everyone, we should be able to have calm discussions without questioning ones intelligence.

I thought Sarah Palin's specific speech was filled with lies, and we've had many posts cataloging the various reasons why. These are good, pointed questions that lead to flourishing debates. But let's try to shy from direct attacked meant at generalizing all people within a group.

Thanks
We are the angry left. Hear us roar!!

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Electoral map has changed. More EV for Obama:

Sep04.png

Obama 298 McCain 227 Ties 13

Didn't update North Dakota where Obama is now ahead.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Amir0x said:
Just a little floaty moderation: be careful the way you handle your barbs, please. If you say all Republicans are greasy, two-faced liars... expect that the response will be a bitter one. Let's not resort to childish insulting in order to get our points across, it's simply going to make everyone angry at each other.

There are plenty of reasonable Republicans and plenty of reasonable Democrats. While it is my belief that the McCain-Palin campaign is run by cynicism and casual disregard for voters, this is not necessarily a symptom of all Republicans. It is also completely logical and perfectly sane to believe we need less government, instead of more. We can dispute these positions without automatically condemning the entire fucking party.

I keep getting these PMs from individuals saying to ban this person or that, but when I inspect the act it's usually both sides in the wrong. I don't want to have to keep banning everyone, we should be able to have calm discussions without questioning ones intelligence.

I thought Sarah Palin's specific speech was filled with lies, and we've had many posts cataloging the various reasons why. These are good, pointed questions that lead to flourishing debates. But let's try to shy from direct attacked meant at generalizing all people within a group.

Thanks

I understand what you're saying.

they failed to show little if ant sanity so far in this convention. Even Mitt Romney whom i use to believe should've been the Republican nom. or VP pick, just transformed to some sort of .....last night. Not just Sarah's speech, it was all of them. Its hard not to critisize "all" of them.

Branduil

The Blue Jihad said:
Oh shit.

Though oddly enough...this all fits into my theory that the Democratic party is Batman. The Democrats have rules. They adhere to those moral codes because if they break them, then they are no better than the criminal slime they're fighting against.

Thankfully, that catty bitch, Palin, isn't going to have nine political lives. She might have one or two, but in that case, we'll just have to throw her out of a higher window.
Batman wouldn't kill babies.

GhaleonEB

NullPointer said:
Well, every time I get pissed off I send Obama $75.

That community organizer derision put me over the edge. At that moment I ceased to see anything whatsoever that I had in common with that crowd. I question their very humanity.

Keep it coming Repubs. Keep it coming. Karma is a real bitch.
Obama's coffers have been filling since Sarah Palin attacked him repeatedly in St. Paul last night.

An Obama aide confirms Drudge's report that Obama has raised about $8 million from more than 130,000 donors and is on pace to raise $10 million by the time McCain reaches the stage tonight.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/Palin_raising_for_Obama_.html?showall

$10m in one day....wow. Thanks, Sarah!

Edit: That's an average donation of $63.50.

Mahadev

VanMardigan said:
So it seems like there is parity in the volume of attacks towards each party? REALLY? That's like saying the DNC and the RNC have had an equal amount of hate and vitriol.

That is an awful comparison though. DNC was talking about serious political and economic issues when they were attacking the republicans, RNC was talking about community organizers, cosmopolitans, librul media and ZERO ZERO ZERO.

theBishop

Banned
Mahadev said:
That is an awful comparison. DNC was talking about serious politican and economic issues when they were attacking the republicans, RNC was talking about community organizers, cosmopolitans, librul media and ZERO ZERO ZERO.

Heh, I typed three different responses to that post. Nothing good could come of it.

John_B

This thread is flying. I can't even take a shit without missing 2-3 pages.

Anyways, is it just me or did Biden cure Obama's stuttering? It was not bad in any way, but he could get a bit stuck on some words, but lately not a single stutter.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Guy Legend said:
The Jon Steward about Republican hypcorisy was absolutely brilliant. For those that may have missed it...: http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=184086&title=sarah-palin-gender-card

What is there more to say? It's been confirmed a long time ago that every word that comes out of these shit-faces is lower than bullshit. Hypocrisy is an understatement.. when it's this blatant and this shameless, it needs to be called something else. And this is who the American public listen to.

On another note, this should be the job of journalists, not just Jon Stewart. Why dont they have the gall to expose lying sacs of shit as what they are?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Mahadev said:
That is an awful comparison though. DNC was talking about serious political and economic issues when they were attacking the republicans, RNC was talking about community organizers, cosmopolitans, librul media and ZERO ZERO ZERO.

That's my point. There is no way this thread had some sort of balance in the amount of blind party/religion/candidate bashing.

What is there more to say? It's been confirmed a long time ago that every word that comes out of these shit-faces is lower than bullshit. Hypocrisy is an understatement.. when it's this blatant and this shameless, it needs to be called something else. And this is who the American public listen to.

See? And a mere one page away from the warning, to boot. It's such a joke.

Branduil said:
Batman wouldn't kill babies.

true but he has no problem putting children and teenagers in life threatening situations, ultimately leading to them getting beaten to death by deranged villains in clown makeup

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
VanMardigan said:
That's my point. There is no way this thread had some sort of balance in the amount of blind party/religion/candidate bashing.
Oh, much of it isn't blind.
PhoenixDark said:
true but he has no problem putting children and teenagers in life threatening situations, ultimately leading to them getting beaten to death by deranged villains in clown makeup
Sheesh, you're making him sound like Superman.

Tamanon

Banned
John_B said:
This thread is flying. I can't even take a shit without missing 2-3 pages.

Anyways, is it just me or did Biden cure Obama's stuttering? It was not bad in any way, but he could get a bit stuck on some words, but lately not a single stutter.

Possible, although Obama has started saying "literally" more also!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hitokage said:
Oh, much of it isn't blind.Sheesh, you're making him sound like Superman.

You take away the blind and you're now allowing the type of attacks and posts amirox was ostensibly warning about. Now, it's justifiable.

lopaz

Banned
Amir0x said:

Thanks

Sorry Ami :(

Dax01 said:
McCain just got McOwned.

More good work done by Palin's speech.

America cannot be a shining beacon of light in the world when we condone policies of treating our enemies with the same standards as the Viet Cong treated their enemies.

Every criminal, no matter how heinous their crimes, deserves humane treatment and a fair and expedient trial. Period. That is a fundamental human right.

When you're giving the central speech of your party's convention, to make a joke out of it makes a joke out of me. Not just as a (former) Republican, but as an American.

This morning, I donated $250 to Barack Obama's campaign. Tomorrow, I'm stopping by the voter registration office to change my party affiliation to Democrat. Saturday, I hope to plant an Obama-Biden sign in my front yard.

This lack of respect for your political opponents, this denial of basic human rights to those who oppose us, this complete emptiness of policy - it ends. Right here, right now.

Hootie

PhoenixDark said:

35arz3q.gif

So uh, why the hell are we talking about Batman? :lol

Last night, Sarah Palin made a convert out of me.

This pretty much nails how I was feeling heading into last night. He just nails it.

That brings us to last night. Until last night, I was slightly leaning towards Obama, but I hadn't firmly decided who I was voting for. I held out hope that during the Convention, I could get a real grasp on where the Republican Party was.

Last night, Sarah Palin gave a speech that was in theory meant to get people like me excited about the Republican ticket. This was one that should have gotten me back on board and excited about the McCain/Palin platform.

Instead, it sickened me in a very deep and personal way.

I could go through some of the quotes that made my stomach turn, but many others have already done a great analysis of the speech.

All I heard was a long stream of extremely bitter attacks against Barack Obama, none of which go even the slightest step towards solving the problems of this country. When I tuned in, Rudy Giuliani was firing off some attacks, but I expected that - every convention has some room for criticism of the opposition.

But Palin's speech was obviously meant to be the centerpiece, the real statement about the direction of the Republican party.

And I heard absolutely nothing about their plans for the future.

All I heard was a long, long stream of pointless attacks against Barack Obama, the Democratic Party in general, and the media.

No solutions. No real content. No anything.

There was one line at the end that really twisted things for me.

"Al Qaeda terrorists still plot to inflict catastrophic harm on America ... he's worried that someone won't read them their rights?"

Every single human being has the right to a fair trial and to be treated humanely by their captors. John McCain, of all people, should understand this. He was a prisoner of war.

On the one fundamental issue that his entire campaign is centered around - the character-building experience of his POW stint - he gets it wrong.

America cannot be a shining beacon of light in the world when we condone policies of treating our enemies with the same standards as the Viet Cong treated their enemies.

Every criminal, no matter how heinous their crimes, deserves humane treatment and a fair and expedient trial. Period. That is a fundamental human right.

When you're giving the central speech of your party's convention, to make a joke out of it makes a joke out of me. Not just as a (former) Republican, but as an American.

This morning, I donated $250 to Barack Obama's campaign. Tomorrow, I'm stopping by the voter registration office to change my party affiliation to Democrat. Saturday, I hope to plant an Obama-Biden sign in my front yard.

This lack of respect for your political opponents, this denial of basic human rights to those who oppose us, this complete emptiness of policy - it ends. Right here, right now.

devilhawk said:
Biden has been less than truthful about his past. This stuff goes both ways. I don't really know if either campaign wants the focus to be on their VP's. For all the shit that Palin has been through the last few days, I don't think it is an exaggeration to think that Biden could see the same treatment.
Please . . . call him out on any bullshit. All politicians deserve to be mocked when they lie.

But you really are not gonna see much on Biden. He is so old hat . . . every one knows his good points and his bad points.

It has just been a feeding frenzy on Palin because outside of Alaska, everyone was like "Who?"

Including McCain it would seem.

VanMardigan said:
You take away the blind and you're now allowing the type of attacks and posts amirox was ostensibly warning about. Now, it's justifiable.

So, what would be the appropriate response to such blatant hypocrisy?

Mahadev

VanMardigan said:

See? And a mere one page away from the warning, to boot. It's such a joke.

The post you're quoting is refering to specific group of scumbags and I agree 100% with it. If the post was accussing all republican of being rednecks or some other stupid generalization you'd be right... but it isn't and I think you've missed the point of Amir0x's post.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Prolly been said before but the Obama campaign should just use the daily show's republican flip flop videos of last night in campaign ads...I just watched it today but it was hilarious and so true.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
There was one line at the end that really twisted things for me.

"Al Qaeda terrorists still plot to inflict catastrophic harm on America ... he's worried that someone won't read them their rights?"

Every single human being has the right to a fair trial and to be treated humanely by their captors. John McCain, of all people, should understand this. He was a prisoner of war.

That was a very interesting line...I think it's hilarious and ridiculous at the same time. How could you not love a line like that. :lol

Battlezone said:
Last night, Sarah Palin made a convert out of me.

This pretty much nails how I was feeling heading into last night. He just nails it.

Woo-hooo . . . Libertarians for Obama! :D

Eight months ago, I was a registered Republican, standing in a cold room in Iowa supporting Ron Paul in the Iowa caucuses. For most of my life, I've been a believer in small government and individual liberties, the ideals that, according to what I learned in high school civics, the Republican Party stood for. I voted Libertarian in 2004, simply because I felt that the Libertarian candidate seemed to best voice those ideals at the time.

theBishop

Banned
Did any of the factcheckers cover Mitt Romney's speech?

This guy on AirAmerica took issue with the claim that Palin won more votes running for mayor than Biden won running for president. It turns out that ridiculous claim wasn't true. Palin won roughly 1500 votes in her two mayoral races.

Biden won 76,000 votes running for president despite dropping out after Iowa.

:lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Mahadev said:
The post you're quoting is refering to specific group of scumbags and I agree 100% with it. If the post was accussing all republican of being rednecks or some other stupid generalization you'd be right... but it isn't and I think you've missed the point of Amir0x's post.

Specific group? Which one?

So, what would be the appropriate response to such blatant hypocrisy?

Attack specific persons rather than groups (evangelicals, republicans, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom