• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does anyone have a link to the 10 second shot they showed on MSNBC of the 18-22 year old blonde guy fanatically screaming "USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!" during Guiliani's speech last night?

ALeperMessiah said:
yeah you're right. Community organizers weren't already 110% behind Obama. Palin really pushed them over the edge.

Wait. So if its only liberals that are involved in community outreach, and the role of business is to reward their shareholders... what does "Country First?" even mean?

Or is that slogan reserved only for those serving in the military?

Pakkidis

ALeperMessiah said:
you mean somebody took that comment seriously?

Apparently the GOP did. In Huckabee's defense " I didn't major in math I majored in miracles"

It shows Huckabee... take some math lessons.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Guybrush Threepwood said:
worst%20mccain%20photo.jpg
:lol :lol :lol

god, im so immature for laughing at this

HylianTom

Banned
Rugasuki said:
I just moved to Denver and there is a huge amount of support for Obama out here. I've seen hundreds and hundreds of obama shirts, bumper stickers, and signs, and literally 2 or 3 McCain signs / stickers. I know metropolitan areas tend to vote democratic, but I live in a part of town that is known for being white and wealthy. I would have figured if any part of Denver would have more support for McCain, this would be it. It will be interesting to see how Palin changes things here. I will say that the Obama campaign has a lot of people out there registering people to vote.

Agree with the Colorado strategy.

Iowa (7EVs) is locked-up.
New Mexico (5EVs) is locked-up.
Kerry states (252EVs) are mostly locked-up.

That gets us to 264EVs. Colorado, Nevada, Ohio, Florida, Virginia, Missouri.. any one will do. Colorado looks most likely.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
gkrykewy said:
What are you going on about? People are angry and frustrated, and there are more people here that lean left than right. Do we have to pretend this is CNN, where every question, no matter how clear the answer, has to have both sides presented "fairly"?

I understand that. I was specifically responding to a post that seemed to suggest that there was equal amounts of both, or at least that was the case "when they checked it out". And while you expect more leftist rants, I agree that the insults should be framed against specific policies, not entire groups of people. Unless you are insinuating that no one here was indiscriminately bashing the entire GOP, etc.

Complaining about the influence of fundamentalists in the republican party is no different than evangelicals complaining about radical islamists.

I think that's highly distorted and insulting.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The surge actually did exceed everyone's wildest dreams. It was poorly to moderately effective, as opposed to every single other action that the administration has taken in Iraq, which were all either debacles or stunning debacles.

Snaku

Banned
Pat Buchanan just said Palin is under no moral or political obligation to answer tough questions about any issues between now and the election. :lol

Guy Legend

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/09/03/politics/fromtheroad/entry4413030.shtml

September 3, 2008, 4:48 PM
McCain Camp Knocks Down Enquirer's Palin Rumor
Posted by John Bentley| Comments260

(CBS)
From CBS News' John Bentley:

(ST. PAUL, MINN.) – John McCain’s campaign threatened legal action against the National Enquirer today for running a story about McCain’s running mate, Sarah Palin, allegedly having an affair with her husband’s business partner.

“The smearing of the Palin family must end. The allegations contained on the cover of the National Enquirer insinuating that Gov. Palin had an extramarital affair are categorically false. It is a vicious lie,” said McCain senior adviser Steve Schmidt.

“The efforts of the media and tabloids to destroy this fine and accomplished public servant are a disgrace. The American people will reject it.”

The Enquirer also alleges that Palin unjustly fired a public safety official while she was governor of Alaska, but the story is based entirely on unnamed sources. The Enquirer has also paid sources in the past to speak with them, something mainstream media outlets do not do.

“Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin look forward to discussing the issues that Americans care about, fixing broken government, creating jobs, making our country energy independent and securing the peace for the next generation by bringing the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to a victorious end,” said Schmidt.

“Legal action will be considered with regard to this disgraceful smear.”

Barrett2

Who else here is planning on watching the NFL or playing some video games tonight? I feel like I am getting so stressed out by all of this, I need a break! I think watching POW! give his speech tonight might push me over the edge.

Tamanon

Banned
lawblob said:
Who else here is planning on watching the NFL or playing some video games tonight? I feel like I am getting so stressed out by all of this, I need a break! I think watching POW! give his speech tonight might push me over the edge.

Giants/Redskins!

Then Tales of Vesperia! Then Daily Show! I don't wanna fall asleep too early, so no McCain. Hell I didn't even watch VitriolFest 2k8 last night.

devilhawk

Complaining about the influence of fundamentalists in the republican party is no different than evangelicals complaining about radical islamists.
Whoa, whoa whoa. Why do I have to be lumped in with the fundamentalists just because I support non-social conservative ideals? There is so much wrong with this statement it isn't even worth going any further.

GhaleonEB

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/04/1349429.aspx

From the Obama presser earlier:

"They [Republicans] haven't talked about the fact that I was a civil rights lawyer; they haven't talked about the fact that I taught constitutional law; they haven't talked about my work in the state legislature, in the United States Senate," he said. "They're talking about the three years of work that I did right out of college as if that's-- I'm making the leap from two or three years out of college into the presidency."

Obama added though that his work as a community organizer was relevant to who he is and the kind of people he's "fighting for."

"Why would that kind of work be ridiculous?" Obama said. "Who are they fighting for? What are they advocating for? They think that the lives of those folks who are struggling each and every day, that working with them to try to improve their lives is somehow not relevant to the presidency? I think maybe that's the problem -- that's part of why they're out of touch and they don't get it 'cause they haven't spent much time working on behalf of those folks."

On the accusations of sexist treatment of Palin: "If they want to work the refs they are free to do so, and I think the public can make their judgments about this," he said. "The notion that any questions about her work in Alaska is somehow not relevant to her potentially being vice president of the United States, doesn’t make too much sense to me. I think she’s got a compelling story, but I assume that she wants to be treated the same way that guys want to be treated, which means that their records are under scrutiny. I’ve been through this for 19 months. She’s been through it, what four days so far?"

Obama and his surrogates have repeatedly argued that McCain does not understand the economy in general and that the Republican convention this week was ignoring economic issues. The senator has been saying for weeks that he is best-suited to tackle the problems hardworking families are facing.

"I believe that the American people need change, they want change, and I’m in the best position to bring it and on a whole host of issues from energy to health care to education," he said. "If at some point Sen. McCain is-- actually addresses those issues, then I think that’s gonna be a useful debate for the American people to listen to."

monchi-kun said:
oh...the microphone!!!!
oh god

I can't un-see it

syllogism said:
Obama is clearly pre-empting Mccain speech with the surge admission. No doubt Mccain is/was going to mention that.

They can spin that into the speech with ease. "I'm running against a man who's hubris would not allow him to admit that the surge in Iraq worked because 'there was not way to know how his plan would have turned out.' After a year, he finally admitted tonight that I was right - America needs a leader who is right in the first place, not one who, only in the face of overwhelming evidence sees to admit his failure for political expediency."

Simple as that - following Palins remark of Obama using change to further his career, while McCain has used his career to implement change.

The Official Word.

Obama added though that his work as a community organizer was relevant to who he is and the kind of people he's "fighting for."

"Why would that kind of work be ridiculous?" Obama said. "Who are they fighting for? What are they advocating for? They think that the lives of those folks who are struggling each and every day, that working with them to try to improve their lives is somehow not relevant to the presidency? I think maybe that's the problem -- that's part of why they're out of touch and they don't get it 'cause they haven't spent much time working on behalf of those folks."

ETA: Beaten...

GrapeApes

Fragamemnon said:
Why on earth are they trying to make Palin an attack dog style VP pick. Sorry, that's just retarded. She's way better off as a fresh face, talking fresh ideas and telling stories of the kind of fresh leadership a McCain/Palin team will bring for the country.
Except her fresh ideas will just be McCain's. If elected you think McCain is actually going to look to her for advice if there is a crisis?
Snaku said:
Pat Buchanan just said Palin is under no moral or political obligation to answer tough questions about any issues between now and the election. :lol
She just has to look pretty and stay silent.

Tamanon

Banned
King_Slender said:
They can spin that into the speech with ease. "I'm running against a man who's hubris would not allow him to admit that the surge in Iraq worked because 'there was not way to know how his plan would have turned out.' After a year, he finally admitted tonight that I was right - America needs a leader who is right in the first place, not one who, only in the face of overwhelming evidence sees to admit his failure for political expediency."

Simple as that - following Palins remark of Obama using change to further his career, while McCain has used his career to implement change.

Does he really want to say a "leader who is right in the first place" in regards to Iraq? Isn't that a rather moronic thing to do?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The only speech I'm watching tonight will be Eli's post-game interview with Andrea Kramer. I predict he will credit his line for their excellent protection and his receivers for just going out there and making plays.

minus_273

Banned
obama has changed his position on the surge. It is now a success. I guess thats an admission McCain's judgment was right and obama's wrong.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/04/obama-surge-succeeded-beyond-wildest-dreams/

The troop surge in Iraq has been more successful than anyone could have imagined, Barack Obama conceded Thursday in his first-ever interview on FOX News’ “The O’Reilly Factor.”

As recently as July, the Democratic presidential candidate declined to rate the surge a success, but said it had helped reduce violence in the country. On Thursday, Obama acknowledged the 2007 increase in U.S. troops has benefited the Iraqi people.

“I think that the surge has succeeded in ways that nobody anticipated,” Obama said while refusing to retract his initial opposition to the surge. “I’ve already said it’s succeeded beyond our wildest dreams.”

King_Slender said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhpKmQCCwB8&feature=related

Also, Obama has stated MANY times that the surge has worked better than he thought i would.

Where are you getting your talking points from?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
izakq said:
Looks light Palin and Giuliani aren't the only ones ignorant of what a community organizer does. I was pissed off enough last night to make my first campaign donation in relation of them demeaning that role. If this type of mentality resolutes throughout the convention of delegates there, I'm donating another $50.

Did you not watch Rudy's speech?

Rudy was walking through Obama's "experience", and when he got to community organizer, the whole audience essentially laughed without provocation. And then Rudy said that was the first "problem" with his resume.

I've come to expect a lot of things out of Republicans. But I wasn't expecting that. I was literally dumbfounded that the entire convention laughed at the prospect of being a community organizer.

minus_273 said:
obama has changed his position on the surge. It is now a success. I guess thats an admission McCain's judgment was right and obama's wrong.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/04/obama-surge-succeeded-beyond-wildest-dreams/

The troop surge in Iraq has been more successful than anyone could have imagined, Barack Obama conceded Thursday in his first-ever interview on FOX News’ “The O’Reilly Factor.”

As recently as July, the Democratic presidential candidate declined to rate the surge a success, but said it had helped reduce violence in the country. On Thursday, Obama acknowledged the 2007 increase in U.S. troops has benefited the Iraqi people.

“I think that the surge has succeeded in ways that nobody anticipated,” Obama said while refusing to retract his initial opposition to the surge. “I’ve already said it’s succeeded beyond our wildest dreams.”

...except John McCain...

Guy Legend

National Enjquire response to McCain attacking them on the Palin affair story:

ENQURIER RESPONDS TO MCCAIN/PALIN
Wed Sep 03 2008 18:19:21 ET

"The National Enquirer's coverage of a vicious war within Sarah Palin's extended family includes several newsworthy revelations, including the resulting incredible charge of an affair plus details of family strife when the Governor's daughter revealed her pregnancy. Following our John Edwards' exclusives, our political reporting has obviously proven to be more detail-oriented than the McCain campaign's vetting process. Despite the McCain camp's attempts to control press coverage they find unfavorable, The Enquirer will continue to pursue news on both sides of the political spectrum."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom