• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebs

CBS just did a post-Palin poll.

This weekend it was 48-40 for Obama.

Now it is 42-42.

McCain didn't seem to get a bump but Obama lost a lot of people to undecided cause of her.

minus_273 said:
obama has changed his position on the surge. It is now a success. I guess thats an admission McCain's judgment was right and obama's wrong.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/04/obama-surge-succeeded-beyond-wildest-dreams/

The troop surge in Iraq has been more successful than anyone could have imagined, Barack Obama conceded Thursday in his first-ever interview on FOX News’ “The O’Reilly Factor.”

As recently as July, the Democratic presidential candidate declined to rate the surge a success, but said it had helped reduce violence in the country. On Thursday, Obama acknowledged the 2007 increase in U.S. troops has benefited the Iraqi people.

“I think that the surge has succeeded in ways that nobody anticipated,” Obama said while refusing to retract his initial opposition to the surge. “I’ve already said it’s succeeded beyond our wildest dreams.”

really?

really?

/bettenhausen

Diablos

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's highly anticipated speech at the Republican National Convention on Wednesday night nearly matched the record-setting numbers of Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama.

Palin pulled in 37.2 million viewers across broadcast and cable networks, according to Nielsen Media Research.

That's 55% higher than Day 3 of the DNC, when her Democratic counterpart, Joe Biden, and President Clinton took the stage (24 million).
What the fuck is this shit?!

:(

I expect this race to go back to a dead tie. Unbelievable. Obama had to spend how much time trying to define who he is to get to this point. Palin hasn't even been in a debate yet.

Snaku

Banned
Guy Legend said:
National Enjquire response to McCain attacking them on the Palin affair story:

snip snap!

Cheebs said:

Now it is 42-42.

McCain didn't seem to get a bump but Obama lost a lot of people to undecided cause of her.

Thankfully the election isn't tomorrow. Some of the people in this country are far too credulous for my own good.

thekad

Banned
Tamanon said:
Does he really want to say a "leader who is right in the first place" in regards to Iraq? Isn't that a rather moronic thing to do?

Except McCain still won't admit he was wrong on Iraq.

minus_273 said:
obama has changed his position on the surge. It is now a success. I guess thats an admission McCain's judgment was right and obama's wrong.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/04/obama-surge-succeeded-beyond-wildest-dreams/

The troop surge in Iraq has been more successful than anyone could have imagined, Barack Obama conceded Thursday in his first-ever interview on FOX News’ “The O’Reilly Factor.”

As recently as July, the Democratic presidential candidate declined to rate the surge a success, but said it had helped reduce violence in the country. On Thursday, Obama acknowledged the 2007 increase in U.S. troops has benefited the Iraqi people.

“I think that the surge has succeeded in ways that nobody anticipated,” Obama said while refusing to retract his initial opposition to the surge. “I’ve already said it’s succeeded beyond our wildest dreams.”

Way to spin his comment. He did say the troop surge has worked, but politically it hasn't.

Diablos said:

I expect this race to go back to a dead tie. Unbelievable. Obama had to spend how much time trying to define who he is to get to this point. Palin hasn't even been in a debate yet.

Can somebody make me an animated GIF with Obama as Lindsey Jacobellis falling and Palin crossing the finish line? Or one of that Miyamoto speed skating to 10M one would do.

minus_273

Banned
Diablos said:

i think the GOP also has the lies spread by liberals to partially thank for that. They ended up generating more interest with their fake pregnancy scandal shit.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Diablos said:

You are such a handwringer..

Diablos said:

Appearance over substance, unfortunately. My faith in the intelligence of undecided voters is slowly dropping...

thekad

Banned
minus_273 said:
i think the GOP also has the lies spread by liberals to partially thank for that. They ended up generating more interest with their fake pregnancy scandal shit.

Spread? Spread where?

King_Slender said:
Can somebody make me an animated GIF with Obama as Lindsey Jacobellis falling and Palin crossing the finish line? Or one of that Miyamoto speed skating to 10M one would do.

Why not find your local community organizer? Surely they've got plenty of time, just reading McSweeney's and eating at the gourmet bagelry.

Cheebs said:
I beat you!

McCain got no bump but it scared away a lot of independent Obama supporters from Obama.

Right, but what it shows is that America wants change - and Obama was previously the only new face in the running. Now with Palin on the scene, appealing to far wider swath of America than McCain/Romney/Giuliani would, you're seeing a shift with another option on the table.

I just had a depressing chat with my mom who lives in Ohio. She voted Bush in 2000 and Kerry in 2004. She LOVED Palin's speech. I spent 30 minutes debunking most of the "points" from the speech and underlining Palin's hypocrisy (earmarks and sex ed to begin with).

When it comes down to it, I think a lot of middle America sees Obama as "scary" and Palin as someone to whom they can connect. Ugh.

minus_273 said:

Your a liar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B7cbm68wPU
Watch 1:26 - 2:54

Nice try though. :lol

minus_273

Banned
thekad said:
Except McCain still won't admit he was wrong on Iraq.

because he is a reaganite

"Admittedly there is a risk in any course we follow other than this, but every lesson in history tells us that the greater risk lies in appeasement, and this is the specter our well-meaning liberal friends refuse to face--that their policy of accommodation is appeasement, and it gives no choice between peace and war, only between fight and surrender."

GhaleonEB

Cheebs said:
Obama dropped 6 points, that is a lot. And that was taken PRE-Palin speech apparently.
It's worth nothing that this poll is an outlier from the other polls taken since Palin's announcement.

tanod

when is my burrito
minus_273 said:

Of course it's a success. Just not for any of the reasons why they said we were even doing it.

Same thing as going to Iraq. Justifications veiled in revisionist history and hypocrisy.

Chris R

Mercury Fred said:
I just had a depressing chat with my mom who lives in Ohio. She voted Bush in 2000 and Kerry in 2004. She LOVED Palin's speech. I spent 30 minutes debunking most of the "points" from the speech and underlining Palin's hypocrisy (earmarks and sex ed to begin with).

When it comes down to it, I think a lot of middle America sees Obama as "scary" and Palin as someone to whom they can connect. Ugh.
Well, do you want someone who will bring the UNKNOWN(change) or someone who will bring back the know, and might improve it, even if just a little? Change is something that can be very scary to people very set in their ways.

King_Slender said:
Right, but what it shows is that America wants change - and Obama was previously the only new face in the running. Now with Palin on the scene, appealing to far wider swath of America than McCain/Romney/Giuliani would, you're seeing a shift with another option on the table.
So uhh what change does Palin offer?

HylianTom said:
Pretty much. Give me another one with similar results, and then it's time to curse the stupidity of the voters. :lol

Hey, I'll take those results. That's the best shot they have, megaton insults and mockery. If that doesn't get them hardcoded votes, nothing in the next two months will.

thekad

Banned
minus_273 said:
because he is a reaganite

"Admittedly there is a risk in any course we follow other than this, but every lesson in history tells us that the greater risk lies in appeasement, and this is the specter our well-meaning liberal friends refuse to face--that their policy of accommodation is appeasement, and it gives no choice between peace and war, only between fight and surrender."

I said "Iraq."

Yaweee

I love selective poll reactions!

"CBS News 09/01 - 09/03 734 RV 42 42 Tie
Gallup Tracking 09/01 - 09/03 2771 RV 49 42 Obama +7"

"zomg TIED?"

Kildace

Cheebs said:
That is not what outlier means...

Doesn't it mean that it's a poll whose results are widely different from the majority of the other polls taken at the time? My terminology might be wrong, sorry English is not my first language.
What I mean is that this poll was taken between Sept 1 and 3, when most polls showed Obama extending his margin. Polling was also quite unfavorable among independents for Palin before the speech and this poll has them split 39 - 36 for Obama. I don't see how things could change so much before her speech.

Mercury Fred said:

You really sit and talk down fact check with your own mother for 30 minutes on her candidate of choice? REALLY? Must be a fascinating Thanksgiving at your place.

the whole surge debate is incredibly silly. No one disputes the idea that if you throw a shitload of troops in Iraq, you can temporarily stop the increase of violence. But last time I checked, the goal of the surge wasn't just "slowing down violence".

Never mind the fact that if the surge "worked" and we've "won" doesn't that mean troops can come home? But wait, as soon as that's proposed, Republicans say "but the violence will go back up if we're not there!"

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Cheebs said:

Now it is 42-42.

Shit makes me sick...how can people not see thru this garbage? Oh wait Bush got elected twice (even though he stole the first one but it was still close)

lopaz

Banned
King_Slender said:
You really sit and talk down fact check with your own mother for 30 minutes on her candidate of choice? REALLY? Must be a fascinating Thanksgiving at your place.

THERE IS NO PLACE FOR FACTS IN THE KING SLENDER HOUSEHOULD

Diablos

King_Slender said:
It's unreal. This lady is the VP nominee, not even President, and she's doing this.

If McCain gets a huge boost (and by huge boost I mean across all polls, not just "selective polling"), largely in part because of Palin's speech, you could seriously argue that she's one of the most influential VP nominees ever. And she had absolutely nothing to do with this election until last week. She has never even been in a debate.

And, as previously stated, if it's already tied NOW, without even fully factoring in Palin's speech, the Obama campaign should start to get pretty worried.

So much for the Palin backfire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom