• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
palinpicuv1.jpg

Pretty good picture incorporating the fascist policies of the McCain policy.

FightyF

Banned
NullPointer said:
This stuff never gets under my skin. I figure if you truly believe the hand of god is behind all things. Then, well, you believe the hand of god is behind all things.

True, but that is very different than this case, where she believes it was a God-ordained mission. Sure, God is behind the Hurricanes, 9/11, whatever, that's their belief and could point to something and say "God meant for that".

But to claim that you are on a mission from God (heck, even the 9/11 hijackers thought that), that is where the problem lies. Instead of "God meant for that", it's more like, "God told me to do this".

Xisiqomelir

Bending_Unit_22 said:
Also since McCain didn't break his promise to stay in the public financing system, he doesn't need as much money as Obama (who needs $100 million a month according to his campaign and isn't close to it so far).

Uhh, you might want to check the Obama campaign's books again.

And, though this is probably wasting my time, Obama never made a promise to use public funding, which you're trying to imply. He said he'd seek to reach an agreement with the Republican nominee.

Xisiqomelir said:
Uhh, you might want to check the Obama campaign's books again.

And, though this is probably wasting my time, Obama never made a promise to use public funding, which you're trying to imply. He said he'd seek to reach an agreement with the Republican nominee.

You're destined to lose this argument; as a rational person, you're bound by tradition in regards to the need to adhere to logic, reason, and factual statements. Your opponent is bound by no such thing.

FightyF said:
True, but that is very different than this case, where she believes it was a God-ordained mission. Sure, God is behind the Hurricanes, 9/11, whatever, that's their belief and could point to something and say "God meant for that".

But to claim that you are on a mission from God (heck, even the 9/11 hijackers thought that), that is where the problem lies. Instead of "God meant for that", it's more like, "God told me to do this".

Maybe that's it. You're approaching the situation with logic.

I've found that religion and logic just don't mix. That's no slight to the religious - I just think that the whole idea of faith is based upon enlightened irrationality.

When you look at it like that, it all starts to make some sense. So if the President wants us to go into Iraq, well, damn skippy, that means its a part of God's plan.

Bending_Unit_22 said:
Anyways, this thread has been fun but it's also obvious that a forum that can't understand the Wii's historic success is not the best source to understand Palin's.

That is actually one of the more logical things you've said. But we do understand the Wii's success . . . it is old generation internals with a dumbed-down user interface. It is great for kids and old people. But many of use want next-generation and more sophisticated things.

I have a Wii and its OK . . . but I also have HD consoles. Luckily, no choice is required, you can get both.

But with voting, you can only have one. I hope the voters go for the next-gen stuff instead of warmed-over versions of the same old stuff.

ronito

Bending_Unit_22 said:
Alright one more, man is this thread moving fast.

Yeah I know, like every politician including Obama, McCain, Clinton, Bush,... Yeap Palin is the first bumpkin to run for office that used a speechwriter. At least her speechwriter didn't just recycle his previous speeches for other candidates.
Obama, Biden and both Clintons wrote their own speeches for the DNC. Again. Facts: Check 'em.

theBishop

Banned
Not to be a dick, but can we please avoid the console war comparisons. If we don't nip it in the bud, someone is going to start calling Obama the "Macintosh" of politicians. I don't think my little brain could handle that.

GhaleonEB

Nice to see First Read continuing to fact check McCain, even before his speech.

On reaching out to political opponents: "The constant partisan rancor that stops us from solving these problems isn’t a cause, it’s a symptom. It’s what happens when people go to Washington to work for themselves and not you. Again and again, I’ve worked with members of both parties to fix problems that need to be fixed. That’s how I will govern as President. I will reach out my hand to anyone to help me get this country moving again. I have that record and the scars to prove it. Sen. Obama does not."

(Note: While McCain decries partisan rancor, by our count, his campaign has aired at least 15 different negative/contrast TV ads against Obama since mid-July, when he departed on his overseas trip.)

Bending_Unit_22 said:
Anyways, this thread has been fun but it's also obvious that a forum that can't understand the Wii's historic success is not the best source to understand Palin's.

The Wii's success would be more comparable to Obama's, not Palin's.

JayDubya

Banned
FightyF said:

Not really what she said, though.

"Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending [U.S. soldiers] out on a task that is from God," she exhorted the congregants. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God's plan."

Logic train: God is good. God has a plan. When people follow God's plan for them, they do good. So pray we have a plan, and that the plan is to do good.

"God told me that we need to conquer Iraq!" is not equivalent to "Pray for our troops and pray that our national leadership is wise and good"

theBishop said:
Not to be a dick, but can we please avoid the console war comparisons. If we don't nip it in the bud, someone is going to start calling Obama the "Macintosh" of politicians. I don't think my little brain could handle that.

Must be running windows hhha ha lol
(sorry, couldn't resist)

theBishop said:
I posted this earlier:

Its a much longer video. No christspasms, but a full bottle of crazy nevertheless. My personal favorite:
CrazyLady said:
I believe Alaska is one of the refuge states ... in the last days. Hundreds of thousands of people are going to come to this state to seek refuge and the church has to be ready to minister to them. Amen?
:lol

The Rapture is comin! The rapture is comin!

Oh man . . . please . . .

Just say no to theocrats. Please.

FightyF

Banned
NullPointer said:
Maybe that's it. You're approaching the situation with logic.

I've found that religion and logic just don't mix. That's no slight to the religious - I just think that the whole idea of faith is based upon enlightened irrationality.

When you look at it like that, it all starts to make some sense. So if the President wants us to go into Iraq, well, damn skippy, that means its a part of God's plan.

I see what you mean with your last statement now. I disagree with the second one, I'd base it on something else, but that's for another thread I suppose.

To bring it back to the topic of the thread, I find it interesting the Obama has acted more Christian-like than McCain and Palin combined. He is respectful of everyone, no matter how different they are from him and how wrong their policies may be (look at how he treated the 17-year old daughter pregnancy issue). He attacks the sin (the agenda, plans (or lack of) and platform of McCain/Palin), and not the sinner (McCain/Palin themselves). And he sincerely cares for and believes in the welfare of all.

An amazing contrast, IMO.

JayDubya said:
Logic train: God is good. God has a plan. When people follow God's plan for them, they do good. So pray we have a plan, and that the plan is to do good.

Ah yes, I can see that. Much of the prayers said by Muslim radicals are very similar. Thanks.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Zeliard said:
I love Barack's reaction when the reporter brings up Palin and the right's complaints about sexism. His body language is like "what the fuck is this shit?"
The part I liked best was his response to the question of why he hasn't gone after Palin. "I'm running against John McCain" Damn right. Stay on target and don't fall for the intentional distraction of getting caught up in the Palin honeypot.

GhaleonEB

TheGrayGhost said:
The Wii's success would be more comparable to Obama's, not Palin's.
Yup. Palin is like a surprise announcement at a games show. Obama is that thing no one thought would suddenly shake up the establishment and win.

Also: interesting slice of the Gallup poll (from Gallup). Nine point drop in "swing" voters - six moving to Obama, three to McCain, since the start of the conventions.

080904SwingVoter1_h5g8n4.gif

http://www.gallup.com/poll/110017/Intense-Political-Week-Brings-Decline-Swing-Voters.aspx

theBishop said:
I wouldn't call it a flipflop because I don't think the terms of the "pledge" were actually met. John McCain's financing situation is questionable at best, likely illegal.

Yeah . . . it is bizarre how the Dems finally got a fund-raising advantage and all of a sudden through some sleight-of-hand, the GOP can now accept individual donations of like $28,000 from people. WTF?

I've never quite understood what happened there.

FightyF said:
To bring it back to the topic of the thread, I find it interesting the Obama has acted more Christian-like than McCain and Palin combined. He is respectful of everyone, no matter how different they are from him and how wrong their policies may be (look at how he treated the 17-year old daughter pregnancy issue). He attacks the sin (the agenda, plans (or lack of) and platform of McCain/Palin), and not the sinner (McCain/Palin themselves). And he sincerely cares for and believes in the welfare of all.

Bravo!

And yet, many Christians do not realize that. Some of the conservative maniacs are twisting and perverting the religion so much, that true Christian conduct and values are obscured.

GhaleonEB said:
Yup. Palin is like a surprise announcement at a games show. Obama is that thing no one thought would suddenly shake up the establishment and win.

I've actually seen the disruptive innovation model be applied to Obama. It's pretty interesting.

Let's hope both win. Third-parties and voters need to step the fuck up and forget the failed past.

theBishop

Banned
speculawyer said:
Yeah . . . it is bizarre how the Dems finally got a fund-raising advantage and all of a sudden through some sleight-of-hand, the GOP can now accept individual donations of like $28,000 from people. WTF?

I've never quite understood what happened there.

It's even more fucked up than that. He used his public funds as collateral on a bank loan. I'm pretty sure that's unprecedented.

Zeliard

capslock said:
GOP congressman calls Obama 'uppity'

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/westmoreland-calls-obama-uppity-2008-09-04.html

It begins, btw, this was the same guy who sponsored a bill calling for the 10 commandments being posted at every federal building, and when asked by Colbert to recite the 10 commandments he could only remember one.

"Just from what little I’ve seen of her and Mr. Obama, Sen. Obama, they're a member of an elitist-class individual that thinks that they're uppity," Westmoreland said.

Asked to clarify that he used the word “uppity,” Westmoreland said, “Uppity, yeah.”

This is the kind of stuff that does that does nothing but reinforce Maher and others on the left saying things like:

"'Elitist' is the Republican code word for 'uppity'."

Amir0x said:
I mean just compare the type of attacks, even vice president to vice president. The distinction is clear. Policy attacks from Biden were hurled with respect to the candidate. The contrast was made as adults, not as bickering children.

All the barbs were not dripping with sarcasm and malicious intent. He directs against policy distinction, while respecting the individual. Palin comes off as bitter and cynical, and even worse: insincere. The second she has a positive thing to say about Obama - like when she mentions "there's much to admire about him" - it's followed up by critically deconstructing his character traits. He deconstructs his lofty POSITIVE rhetoric with lines like "after he parts the water and heals the world." This is what we want? Somebody who believes that thinking our future should be filled with hope is a negative? That community organizers have no responsibility (and therefore no place)?

The distinction is now clear. The American public will have to choose what type of future they want.
The twisted thing is that the Republican base (judging from the convention content and crowd reaction to it) appears to take the cordiality of Obama and Biden towards McCain and Palin as some kind of admission of the Republican ticket's superiority. Cognitive Dissonance FTW

FightyF said:
I see what you mean with your last statement now. I disagree with the second one, I'd base it on something else, but that's for another thread I suppose.

Hey, thanks for interpreting what I was saying in the intended light. Was worried I came across as asshole-sarcastic, which isn't the case. Right or wrong, I honestly do see religion as sort of an irrational-based balance to other structured world views. You're also right, that's the subject for a different thread.

I do agree fully with your characterization of Obama as well. He's acting more like an inclusive Christian, while McCain and coterie are acting more clannish and insular.

gcubed

polyh3dron said:
The twisted thing is that the Republican base (judging from the convention content and crowd reaction to it) appears to take the cordiality of Obama and Biden towards McCain and Palin as some kind of admission of the Republican ticket's superiority. Cognitive Dissonance FTW

alot of people on the convention floor (of both conventions) are there for a reason. And an even larger majority in the stands are planted supporters and "handlers". Either party reading anything into reactions on the convention floor is silly

theBishop

Banned
gcubed said:
alot of people on the convention floor (of both conventions) are there for a reason. And an even larger majority in the stands are planted supporters and "handlers". Either party reading anything into reactions on the convention floor is silly

There's some truth here. But I was standing in the middle of this:
obama-philly.jpg

19blog-obama-philadelphia.jpg

And I wasn't planted.

There's no question Obama can draw a crowd.

bwahhhhh

GhaleonEB said:
Nice to see First Read continuing to fact check McCain, even before his speech.

this is really a non-sequitor, though. in government, you can compromise and both sides can leave the table gaining something. in a presidential run, you can't compromise, it's win or lose. negative ads garner results, no matter how much people complain about how sick of them they are. mccain is in this to win the presidency, not to look like the good guy. (he could do both, but when you're behind in the polls, you do what has a better history of working)

barack can still afford to be the "nice guy", as he's in the lead. i'd be interested in seeing how his ads would change if he were behind.

politics is, and always has been dirty. and US politics are mild compared to other countries. those whining about Palin being nasty haven't seen anything. barack needs to get his hands dirty. that "turn the other cheek" crap would never fly with putin, and i worry that intelligent-yet-dirty-and-manipulative leaders like putin would manipulate the hell out of a naive obama administration. bill clinton wasn't nearly as afraid to get his hands dirty.

-bwahhhhh
love bill clinton, hate dubya, still undecided on this election

gcubed

theBishop said:
There's some truth here. But I was standing in the middle of this:
obama-philly.jpg

19blog-obama-philadelphia.jpg

And I wasn't planted.

There's no question Obama can draw a crowd.

im not saying he cant draw a crowd, but the crowds, especially at conventions, are there for a reason. I mean, do people really think that hockey moms really brought signs that said "Hockey Moms for Palin" to the convention? I'm sure people aren't that stupid.

Of course... the caribou fucking love the pipelines!!

DRILL DRILL DRILL - It's good for the environment!

Mosquitoes hate it!

Anyone else watching MSNBC?

HylianTom

Banned
So.. has everyone picked their drinking game word or phrase?

I've heard thus far:
- change
- reform
- Obama
- surge
- experience
- liberal
- "my friends"
- values
- P.O.W.

And if so, what's your poison tonight?

(Myself? I've gone with "unwed teenage mothers" and black tar heroin.):D

Tamanon

Banned
HylianTom said:
So.. has everyone picked their drinking game word or phrase?

I've heard thus far:
- change
- reform
- Obama
- surge
- experience
- liberal
- "my friends"
- values
- P.O.W.

And if so, what's your poison tonight?

(Myself? I've gone with "unwed teenage mothers" and black tar heroin.):D