• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW!POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW!

HylianTom

Banned
Chiggs said:
Is anyone here still predicting a landslide victory for Obama?

Nope. I'm predicting that neither man gets over 300 electoral votes. At most, I predict a 4% margin of victory. Considering how polarized the country still is, 4% would be relatively impressive.

Hootie

typhonsentra said:
I see it as pretty likely. It depends what you mean by landslide, I expect a 5% margin, and we'll know who won pretty early. The only states up for grabs are in the Eastern Time Zone after all.

Besides Colorado, but how many EVs does CO have anyway? Can't be too much.

TDG

Banned
Well, McCain's speech tonight should be interesting, I suppose. I'm not watching, and I haven't watched any of the convention. I'm not one of those liberals who listens to Rush or watches Fox News either. I don't waste my time trying to find something to be angry about.

If the RNC were devoted to talking about what the GOP is about, I would watch it, but with the last convention being so negative, and this one apparently being the same, there's no way in hell I would waste my (4) night(s) watching the candidates and the ideas I support be ridiculed.

I really have to wonder how many people who aren't hardcore republicans, angry liberals, or political junkies watch the modern RNCs. They're just intoxicatingly negative to me, I imagine all they really do is energize the base. Thankfully, this year's election seems to not be about the base.

Jak140

Deus Ex Machina said:
Barack Obama on O'Reilly Factor 09-04-08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luA0AMP51Gc

The quality isn't the best but if you missed it, it's better than nothing.

Thanks. I actually think the interview went pretty well, except for O'Reilly cutting him off a few times. I'm glad that Obama finally had a chance to refute some of the talking points that the GOP and FOX have been running on for months.

qwertybob

Dan said:
I just spent the day playing with a Red One camera. It was fabulous :D

Holy fucking Christ, my day is ruined o_O

How the fuck is a person compelled to clap after watching that?!

not just clap but shouting and cheering, they were positively giddy

Agent Icebeezy said:

First Read, earlier today kinda took the air out of this one

The McCain-Palin campaign today launched a spirited defense when contaced by NBC News. They say the personnel files were not protected. A campaign source says Wooten himself had previously signed a waiver allowing a divorce lawyer to obtain his personnel records. The campaign then sent a copy of that waiver to NBC News, which reads, "I hereby waive any privilege I may have to said information to said attorneys."

The issue concerns disclosures about Wooten's records made by a Palin aide -- Frank Bailey -- in a February 2008 phone conversation. The police officers union complaint claims the transcript of that conversation clearly indicates there was improper access to Wooten's records.

The McCain-Palin campaign, in a response to NBC News, provided a family twist to the story, saying the governor's husband, Todd Palin, was the source of that information to Bailey. They say the information came from divorce proceedings, and that Gov. Palin never improperly accessed any records.

"When you're a real reformer like Sarah Palin, who isn't afraid to take on entrenched political interests," Taylor Griffiths, a spokesman for McCain, said, "scurrilous attacks and empty allegations come with the territory."
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/04/1347973.aspx

Duke Togo said:
From where I'm sitting, it almost seems like 9/11 mutated the Republican party from a fairly respectable party to what we see today. I really, really have to wonder what the history books will say about this period of time in America once we're clear from the miasma this administration has produced.

It's basically unleashed their inner beast. They were the party in recent history of "secret wars". 9/11 allowed them to just say fuck it and go with a let's get our war groove on mentality.

Barrett2

Gary Whitta said:
POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW!POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW! POW!

:lol Pretty much what I expected, this intro video is an orgy of POW-tastic nostalgia

Let me also say I haven't watched a second of the convention tonight, I have been playing games and watching The Wire, and it feels damn good..

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
Gary Whitta said:

Gary Whitta
Gary Whitta
Gary Whitta
Gary Whitta

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Holy shit Jon Stewart completely shattered all of them lying right wingers.

How can you have even an ounce of respect for McCain and his crew as well as Fox News? Anyone?

Laughable, inexcusable, unjustifiable, and purely supported by denial.

Rugasuki

In his book (or was it in an interview? I forget now) he clearly stated that he lied about his opinion on the rebel flag for "ambition." Clearly that is putting America first.

Tim-E

Did the music just abruptly cut then start over? I seriously think they just hired someone on Youtube to put this together.

Formless

Ether_Snake said:
Holy shit Jon Stewart completely shattered all of them lying right wingers.

How can you have even an ounce of respect for McCain and his crew as well as Fox News? Anyone?

Laughable, inexcusable, unjustifiable, and purely supported by denial.
Honoring his service? (But not his policies)

Yaweee

The video used the T word! Is that only the second time in the entire convention it was used to (accurately) describe what happened to McCain? (Palin said 'torturous').

I love how the Republican Party is turning into the War Crimes Defense Force.

(neutral) King_Slender
Banned
(Today, 08:41 PM)

*Applause*

Woooo-hooooo!

I actually love interesting opposition. But the troll factor was pretty high there.

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Sixteen-year-old Kayla Van Cleave is one youth who wouldn't be voting for Obama.

“Obama is always going to have more of the youth vote, because it's fun to be rebellious. They say, 'I'm going to run away from conservative mommy and daddy,'” Van Cleave, a Wisconsin native, said while attending convention speeches. "But some of us know it is better to not just go with what is fashionable.”

Van Cleave, who won't be old enough to vote in this election, is one of 43 young people aged 15 to 30 who are attending the Republican National Convention as part of the first GOP University and Youth Convention, which started last Friday and continues through the end of this week.

“You hear the other side talk about the youth vote,” Dana Culhane, 22, added. “Coming together like this shows the McCain campaign has as much or more than the Obama campaign does.”
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/

what the hell

Hootie

Yay McCain is speaking....spea.....king......ZZZZZzzzzzzZzzzz

Wow it sounds like there's only 100 people in there :lol :lol

theBishop

Banned
"Change will come" "the change must be safey, prosperity, optimism and peace" "the change will come from strength" "from a man who found his strength in a tiny dank cell. thousands of miles from home"

That is some serious Orwellian shit.

"When you lived in a box, you fear no man"

Ho-Ly Shit.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
140.85 said:
phony outrage
That was kind of my reaction too.
I heard about the "outrage" right after happened and didn't get to see it until a few minutes ago.

There was nothing sincere about that.
The video is disgusting, but so are the trailers for "102 minutes that changed america" that run every 5 minutes on the History channel.
9/11 has been exploited by anyone and everyone since the second it happened, and I find it hard to believe he was surprised, let alone as distraught as he was acting.

Mahadev

rancor said:
did yuo guys know john mccain was a pow in vietnam?? i jus found out now.

Really? Well my sources tell me that he was serving in Vietnam and that he was captured and inprisoned.

Hey did you hear that he was also a POW?

He was a POW

POW

POW

Snaku

Banned
Illuminati said:
The man...the myth... THE LEGEND

28gt91k.jpg

MAVERICK!

junker

Hootie said:
Yay McCain is speaking....spea.....king......ZZZZZzzzzzzZzzzz

Wow it sounds like there's only 100 people in there :lol :lol

It's supposed to be an "intimate" setting to showcase his humbleness!

Caj814

U.S Eh?!
U.S Eh?
U.S Eh?!
U.S Eh?!
U.S Eh?!
U.S Eh?!
U.S Eh?!
U.S Eh?!
U.S Eh?!
U.S Eh?!
U.S Eh?!