• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

syllogism

capslock said:
Wait, I thought it was 38 million PEOPLE, where are you getting this figure from? That's half the households there are in the country.
Perhaps it was people, though nielsen ratings are usually households. Still, through the four days the average was 22.5m households. Regardless, the original point stands. Few people would vote based on punditry and short speech excerpts.

e: Nielsen says a quarter of US households tuned in for the speech

Xeke

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
PLUS his pick, no matter who it was, was scheduled for 11 AM. No one at the Obama camp expected to own the weekend.

Which, again, makes McCain's making a decision based in any way on "DOOD PWNING THE NEWZ CYCLE" all the more colossally stupid.

It doesn't matter. The only thing on all the news channels right now is the Hurricane.

capslock said:
I never said she was a wonderful pick, she's a fucking terrible pick, but it makes everyone reasses McCain, and not all will do it in a negative way, and it keeps the media talking about his choice. That's what McCain needs, that's what he wants, the celebrity ads were stupid as hell, but the MSM picked up that bullshit and ran with it for almost a month.

If ANY do in a negative way, it's disaterous. McCain just couldn't afford negative scrutiny at this point, at all. Now, check this out. Check out what this numbskull put front and center on the table:

a) Abortion
b) His Age
c) His Judgement

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
capslock said:
Come on, Obama's campaign apparently doesn't have anything beyond two pages on Palin in their dossiers, they had plenty of attack ads ready to run for Romney or Pawlenty. They're taking things for granted I think.

warble warble warble.

Whatever dude. The selection wasn't some grandly thought out genius move by McCain. It was a panicked reaction, a lame duck move to grab some of the 'disenfranchised hillary supporters'.

This woman is turning up more surprises for the republican campaign than it has for the democratic one.

McCain: "Ah hah! I picked a woman! bet you didn't expect that!"

Everyone else: "Whoa... wait... who is she?"

McCain: *smug look on face, fists clenched, jutting into hips, chest thrust out, cheesy grin beaming*

Everyone else: "So... this is interesting... she's got little merit and little experience. "

"Oh, she's under investigation for corruption/inappropriate use of power... "

"she likes hunting and making mooseburgers, isn't that cute...

"oh, she's got a down syndrome baby! She lives by her word of honor! ..."

"wait, what do you mean that's not her baby? ..."

McCain: *stiff grimace*

mj1108

capslock said:
Wait, I thought it was 38 million PEOPLE, where are you getting this figure from? That's half the households there are in the country.

The 41m number comes from the fact that CSPAN and I believe PBS don't track in the Neilsens. Plus you have everyone who watched it online.

Xeke said:
It doesn't matter. The only thing on all the news channels right now is the Hurricane.

Yeah, I was saying that on Friday morning, underscoring what a dumb idea this was in the first place because of the Hurricane.

*shakes head*

Just....such a bad decision.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh yeah, newspapers friday morning were all about Obama's speech. Palin didn't show up in papers until THIS morning. Television-wise Obama's speech was seen directly by a shitload of people so diminished presence in the cable news networks isn't quite as significant.

capslock said:
I never said she was a wonderful pick, she's a fucking terrible pick, but it makes everyone reasses McCain, and not all will do it in a negative way, and it keeps the media talking about his choice. That's what McCain needs, that's what he wants, the celebrity ads were stupid as hell, but the MSM picked up that bullshit and ran with it for almost a month.
The maxim that "there's no such thing as bad publicity" doesn't exactly hold true for politics.

Krowley

thekad said:
Judgement? Tell me you're not going to bring up his pastor.

He's not my candidate, mostly because I'm more conservative on foriegn policy than he is. I was against the war, but I favored the surge, for example, and over time he has talked too much about american beligerance and things like that for my taste. I'm also way more conservative on social issues (although the republican orthodoxy would consider me a heretic)

Obama is not my guy, and he was never going to be my guy. The pastor thing certainly didn't help, but I was already sure I wasn't voting for him when that happened.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah, I was saying that on Friday morning, underscoring what a dumb idea this was in the first place because of the Hurricane.

*shakes head*

Just....such a bad decision.

So when were they supposed to do it? A week ago when they saw the hurricane coming through their crystal balls?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
worldrunover said:
So when were they supposed to do it? A week ago when they saw the hurricane coming through their crystal balls?
Obviously, since the democrats were able to book a week between Fay and Gustav. ;)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
180114W_sm.gif

It does not look good, they are already starting mandatory evacuations.
They are not fooling around this time.

Bad luck for the RNC, this will probably take top story for most of the week.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
esbern said:
i leave for 3 hours and a bunch of dudes are acting like they understand pregnacy. good lord this is just pitiful

Well, I watched my wife do it twice. I think I know a preggo woman when I see one.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Agent Icebeezy said:
Well, I watched my wife do it twice. I think I know a preggo woman when I see one.

Yeah, I gotta say, I am a dad too and my baby mama looked a LOT more pregnant than that at 7 months.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Suikoguy said:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT07/refresh/AL0708W5_sm2+gif/180114W_sm.gif

It does not look good, they are already starting mandatory evacuations.
They are not fooling around this time.

Bad luck for the RNC, this will probably take top story for most of the week.
Right front quadrant.

I think the Obama ad in response to Palin is pretty clever. By refusing to mention her name and just showing a picture, it leaves viewers asking themselves "Who the fuck is she?" which is exactly the point. Plus it continues to hammer home the McCain=Bush message.

Krowley

thekad said:
Krowley: So you must really have problems with McCain's judgement.

I like McCain on a personal level. I voted for him in primary against bush. He was wrong about the war, but so was almost everybody else. McCain has had pretty good judgement about most things for most of his career... But that's not even it. It's a personality choice.

I like the guy, I trust the guy. Period.

Krowley said:
I like McCain on a personal level. I voted for him in primary against bush. He was wrong about the war, but so was almost everybody else. McCain has had pretty good judgement about most things for most of his career... But that's not even it. It's a personality choice.

I like the guy, I trust the guy. Period.

You trust a politician even after his massive flip-flops?

And people say Obama supporters have a messiah complex.

Kolgar

This thread to me, is like the "Blu-ray takeover watch" thread all over again: It's all one side crowing about how bad of shape HD DVD (McCain/Palin) is in.

Well, hehehe, maybe it's true. Or maybe we're all in for a surprise.

At any rate, you can't deny that the Palin pick has energized conservatives and set the stage for a powerful RNC next week.

And all the Palin bashing? I detect a whiff of fear. ;)

Ventrue

Frank the Great said:

Although I somewhat agree, 'flip-flopping' came to prominence out of the Republican smear campaign on Kerry. He has sold out to the GOP a bit, but he at least did things fairly independently in the past.

EDIT: By the way, can you guys be sure of when that photo of Palin was taken? This whole pregnancy thing seems just a stupid smear. Why don't we just claim that McCain has a secret black child
He's old enough to be Obama's dad.
?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Kolgar said:
This thread to me, is like the "Blu-ray takeover watch" thread all over again: It's all one side crowing about how bad of shape HD DVD (McCain/Palin) is in.

At any rate, you can't deny that the Palin pick has energized conservatives and set the stage for a powerful RNC next week.

Palin is the unfortunate person in this scenario. The underlying thing is the judgment of McCain to pick her.

Tamanon

Banned
Kolgar said:

Well yeah, that's generally what the thought of her being President entails:p

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
capslock said:
Come on, Obama's campaign apparently doesn't have anything beyond two pages on Palin in their dossiers, they had plenty of attack ads ready to run for Romney or Pawlenty. They're taking things for granted I think.

well.. to be fair. her credentials dont even fill up one page.

Frank the Great said:

In general... 'flip-flopping' is not the horrible thing people have made it out to be. Much worse is what the current admin does of making a decision and then sticking to it regardless of new information. So can we stop bitching about 'flip-flopping' please?

Broseybrose

my reaction to the pick... ive been brewing this over and researching since i learned what was going on.

i liked her the minute i saw her, too... which is why i HATE her. McCain, in desperation, pulled a BS stunt by choosing a hot, smart woman opportunist who has more than enough brains to fool the country into thinking she's what the country wants as well.

she scares me, shes like ice, ruthless. what scares me more is the possiblity of these two running the country... shes deceitful, and it was a deceitful move on McCains part.

its the exact opposite of the straight talk and honest good will we have in the obama camp.

but people are just too damn stupid to vote in their best interest, much less investigate the internet to equip themselves with some real news to base their votes on. i think things just got really scary in this election.

i honestly hope SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE completely exposes her for what she is, and really rails her for it, leading up to the election.

Krowley

Frank the Great said:

Obama has already pissed off some of his supporters from the democratic primaries with his move to the center. Everybody flip flops. Sometimes it's just because they changed their mind and sometimes it's because they want to win.

McCain is human, This is politics, and he's figured out that it's hard to win by fighting fair.

The republican establishment didn't want him in the primaries because they know he's indipendent minded and impossible to control. If mcCain ever became president, he would do whatever he wanted and tell everybody to go spit. This VP pick just demonstrates that he's still that kind of guy behind the scenes.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I love you Mark Steyn :D

First, Governor Palin is not merely, as Jay describes her, "all-American", but hyper-American. What other country in the developed world produces beauty queens who hunt caribou and serve up a terrific moose stew? As an immigrant, I'm not saying I came to the United States purely to meet chicks like that, but it was certainly high on my list of priorities. And for the gun-totin' Miss Wasilla then to go on to become Governor while having five kids makes it an even more uniquely American story. Next to her resume, a guy who's done nothing but serve in the phony-baloney job of "community organizer" and write multiple autobiographies looks like just another creepily self-absorbed lifelong member of the full-time political class that infests every advanced democracy.

Second, it can't be in Senator Obama's interest for the punditocracy to spends its time arguing about whether the Republicans' vice-presidential pick is "even more" inexperienced than the Democrats' presidential one.

Third, real people don't define "experience" as appearing on unwatched Sunday-morning talk shows every week for 35 years and having been around long enough to have got both the War on Terror and the Cold War wrong. (On the first point, at the Gun Owners of New Hampshire dinner in the 2000 campaign, I remember Orrin Hatch telling me sadly that he was stunned to discover how few Granite State voters knew who he was.) Sarah Palin and Barack Obama are more or less the same age, but Governor Palin has run a state and a town and a commercial fishing operation, whereas (to reprise a famous line on the Rev Jackson) Senator Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. She's done the stuff he's merely a poseur about. Post-partisan? She took on her own party's corrupt political culture directly while Obama was sucking up to Wright and Ayers and being just another get-along Chicago machine pol (see his campaign's thuggish attempt to throttle Stanley Kurtz and Milt Rosenberg on WGN the other night).

Fourth, Governor Palin has what the British Labour Party politician Denis Healy likes to call a "hinterland" - a life beyond politics. Whenever Senator Obama attempts anything non-political (such as bowling), he comes over like a visiting dignitary to a foreign country getting shanghaied into some impenetrable local folk ritual. Sarah Palin isn't just on the right side of the issues intellectually. She won't need the usual stage-managed "hunting" trip to reassure gun owners: she's lived the Second Amendment all her life. Likewise, on abortion, we're often told it's easy to be against it in principle but what if you were a woman facing a difficult birth or a handicapped child? Been there, done that.

Fifth, she complicates all the laziest Democrat pieties. Energy? Unlike Biden and Obama, she's been to ANWR and, like most Alaskans, supports drilling there.

Sixth (see Kathleen's link to Craig Ferguson below), I kinda like the whole naughty librarian vibe.

Some more good reading for those who might want an alternative to the *snicker* "discussion" going on in this thread.

Palin Makes Good First Impression: Is Viewed More Favorably than Biden
Palin Fought for Reform in Alaska
Desperation from Democrats

Why would he put a small-town mayor a heartbeat away from the presidency?

This is a real laugher. By the same logic, why would the Democrats make a state legislator the actual president? The answer is that Obama is a US Senator of three years experience, and Palin is a governor of 20 months’ experience. Only Barack Obama has spent two of those three years not in the Senate doing his job but running for President. Before starting his bid, he had a grand total of less than 150 days in session in the Senate. Palin, on the other hand, has run her state for more than triple that time.

And let’s remember that Obama is running for the top job, while Palin’s running for VP.

McCain can’t talk about experience any more — he’s shot himself in the foot!

Unfortunately for the critics, this argument doesn’t hold water, either. All four principals are running for the highest executive position in the federal government — indeed, the position in charge of the entire executive branch. How much executive experience does Obama have? None; he’s worked in corporate law, community organizing, and has eleven years as a legislator at various levels. Biden? He’s been a lawyer for three years and a Senator for 35 years, and has no executive experience at any level of government.

McCain at least has executive experience as a squadron commander in the US Navy, but Palin has the actual executive track record that the others lack. She has governed Alaska for 20 months, negotiated a pipeline deal with Canada (which gives her more formal diplomatic experience than either Obama or Biden), was commander-in-chief of Alaska’s National Guard, and so on. Even her more local-level experience is more applicable than Obama’s: she served two terms as mayor, an executive position, cutting taxes and running a small city. Obama served in the state legislature, with no executive responsibilities at all.

The “Baby is her Daughter’s” Palin Smear
Was Sarah Palin a Buchananite?
The framing of the shrew
The Washington Post on the Palin "Scandal"
Sarah Palin and Creationism

Ah, I love the smell of insecurity in the morning.

frankthurk said:
In general... 'flip-flopping' is not the horrible thing people have made it out to be. Much worse is what the current admin does of making a decision and then sticking to it regardless of new information. So can we stop bitching about 'flip-flopping' please?

well, if McCain "flip flopped" as a result of a thorough reinvestigation of the facts, then sure, flip flopping is great.

If you "flip-flop" because you started slipping in the polls and needed to shore up your base, and take a position as purely a political move, then yeah, it's a problem.

Of course, flip-flop is an annoying phrase in general.

edit: lol @ "rightwingnuthouse" and weeklystandard

Kolgar said:

It did? I'm not denying I'm just wondering. I hadn't heard that it greatly energize the conservatives but I'm also not keeping up.

TDG

Banned
Krowley said:
This VP pick just demonstrates that he's still that kind of guy behind the scenes.
Wait, his pick of a hardcore conservative shows that he's still independent-minded behind the scenes?

Jak140

Krowley said:
I like McCain on a personal level. I voted for him in primary against bush. He was wrong about the war, but so was almost everybody else.
Yeah, but how many of them are still supporting it now? Everyone makes mistakes, but refusing to even acknowledge them is a sign of immaturity and a complete lack of judgment.

McCain is brash and makes reckless split second choices, often without even fully considering the consequences, then he runs with them, repercussions be damned.

This last minute heat of the moment Palin pick just highlights his fatal flaw even further.

He met her once before he picked her as his VP. Once. She was never even seriously considered for VP by his campaign until less than a week ago. This was a desperate last ditch effort to resuscitate a dying campaign.

Making a VP pick without full vetting is dangerous, and while it may work, this reckless pick not only endangers his campaign and his party, but our country.

This is the man who puts country first? The man you want to lead the United States of America? Really?

RiZ III

soul creator said:
well, if McCain "flip flopped" as a result of a thorough reinvestigation of the facts, then sure, flip flopping is great.

If you "flip-flop" because you started slipping in the polls and needed to shore up your base, and take a position as purely a political move, then yeah, it's a problem.

Of course, flip-flop is an annoying phrase in general.

If he didn't even do a thorough investigation of his own VP before choosing her then why should he be trusted to make any decision in the white house? Is this the experience he has been bragging about? Sounds like more rushed and poor decision making like Bush.

mj1108 said:
The 41m number comes from the fact that CSPAN and I believe PBS don't track in the Neilsens. Plus you have everyone who watched it online.

I watched on PBS...I can't stand the dumbed down talk for panelists and even the anchors on
the corporate stations.

140.85 said:
Ah, I love the smell of insecurity in the morning.

I gotta say, if there's a problem it's going to be becoming overly confident not insecure. She comes across as a really bad pick, making McCain seem like a hypocrite on the experience thing, and generally brings into question his judgment.

Drek

Kolgar said:

I'm a pretty die hard independent who just happens to have actually listened to Obama and found him to be a revolutionary figure.

Now Palin? Yeah, she energizes the GOP base, but in polling data their boxes are already 99% checked for McCain anyways. That does nothing about the fact that as the state by state electoral polling stands now Obama is ahead 278 to 247, with Virginia as a toss up.

McCain needs to flip Pennsylvania, Michigan or Colorado without losing Florida, Ohio, Missouri, or two out of the Dakotas and Montana.

How exactly is Palin going to help with that? Steal Hillary voters? Not when her pro-life, creationism in our schools message gets out to America.

And no matter what the RNCC is like it isn't going to match the DNCC, Obama is simply a superior orator and has a greater flair for the theatric. He also lined up some of the most respected political figures in America today (the Clintons and Al Gore).

Meanwhile the RNCC is going to have a president with approval ratings scraping the floor and a bunch of old white guys giving the same old political rhetoric. Maybe they'll pull a rabbit out of the hat, but it'd take a true miracle for that to happen.

McCain's campaign has always been an underdog, now he's making it a hail marry win or lose badly type of proposition with Palin.

It'll be interesting to see the next few weeks of polling data, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a few slightly red states tip even (namely Ohio and Florida) and possibly see Virginia fall into the blue category.

McCain isn't going to be alive in 4 more years guaranteed...the guy is losing his mind...no one has still answered what the fuck he was doing with his fingers/hands during her acceptance speech...the guy is just kooky.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
140.85 said:

Some good reading? Are you fucking serious? Do you expect ANYONE to take you seriously with those pathetic jokes of links?

Hotair? Rightwingnuthouse? Weeklystandard? Protein Wisdom?

Littlegreenfootballs?

(this place specifically is a cesspool of bigotry and discrimination, ultra-right wing hawks and ultra zionists. I remember it was incessantly pushing that youtube video of the hobo claming he had gay sex with Obama as 'legit' and that the media was pushing it under the rug, as well as shilling about several Obama 'scams' that turned out to be complete bullshit)

We already know where you get all your shitty talking points. Try looking beyond right wing blogs for objective information.

Krowley

TDG said:
Wait, his pick of a hardcore conservative shows that he's still independent-minded behind the scenes?

His party and even his advisers clearly wanted him to pick someone safe. Pawlenty or Romney.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Some more good reading for those who might want an alternative to the *snicker* "discussion" going on in this thread.
Translation: People aren't parroting the same talking points as me. They must be stupid or something!

Now, you may think Palin is a good gamble. That's fair, but to act as if she has it in the bag against "secret muslim terrorist Obama" then you're not using your most important organ enough.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Slurpy said:
Some good reading? Are you fucking serious? Do you expect ANYONE to take you seriously with those pathetic jokes of links?

Hotair? Rightwingnuthouse? Weeklystandard? Protein Wisdom? Littlegreenfootballs? (a cesspool of bigotry and discrimination)?

We already know where you get all your shitty talking points. Try looking beyond right wing blogs for objective information.

:lol

"...for those who might want an alternative..."

Obviously this does not apply to you - feel free to move along.

TDG

Banned
Krowley said:
His party and even his advisers clearly wanted him to pick someone safe. Pawlenty or Romney.
I see your point. By "independent-minded" I was thinking you meant independent in a politocal views sense, which would be completely untrue. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom