• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Drek said:
And no matter what the RNCC is like it isn't going to match the DNCC..

Heck.. I'm guessing that Gustavo is going to dilute coverage and impact of the convention. Split-screen coverage will not serve McCain well.

Diablos

So, I hear the RNC may turn into a hurricane donation hotline instead! Not joking.

I'm not sure if I should give the Repubs a pat on the back for once for getting their priorities straight, or if I should just view this as politics since they didn't give a fuck back in 2005. Funny how it matters so much to them during an election year. During their convention. Which they will devote to hurricane coverage and donations.

Ooook.

Tamanon

Banned
HylianTom said:
Heck.. I'm guessing that Gustavo is going to dilute coverage and impact of the convention. Split-screen coverage will not serve McCain well.

Hell, there was barely any coverage of the speeches themselves at the DNC, I expect even less for the RNC.

Diablos

reilo said:
Obama has a response ad to the Palin pick out? Where?
If it's the one I think they are talking about, it would be the one where she is shown with McCain at the end of the ad but not mentioned by name.

Broseybrose said:
my reaction to the pick... ive been brewing this over and researching since i learned what was going on.

i liked her the minute i saw her, too... which is why i HATE her. McCain, in desperation, pulled a BS stunt by choosing a hot, smart woman opportunist who has more than enough brains to fool the country into thinking she's what the country wants as well.

she scares me, shes like ice, ruthless. what scares me more is the possiblity of these two running the country... shes deceitful, and it was a deceitful move on McCains part.

its the exact opposite of the straight talk and honest good will we have in the obama camp.

but people are just too damn stupid to vote in their best interest, much less investigate the internet to equip themselves with some real news to base their votes on. i think things just got really scary in this election.

i honestly hope SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE completely exposes her for what she is, and really rails her for it, leading up to the election.

Hillary Clinton
:D Its going to be awesome.

Odrion

Banned
Diablos said:
So, I hear the RNC may turn into a hurricane donation hotline instead! Not joking.

I'm not sure if I should give the Repubs a pat on the back for once for getting their priorities straight, or if I should just view this as politics since they didn't give a fuck back in 2005. Funny how it matters so much to them during an election year. During their convention. Which they will devote to hurricane coverage and donations.

Ooook.
Sounds like a good idea actually.

Diablos said:

Ooook.

That is a solution I hadn't considered, and is quite admirable and will play well. But having a Hurricane on the table at all is going to give Democrats non-stop talking points.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The pregnancy thing has to be fake, right?

I mean come on, she'd HAVE to know that it would get exposed eventually if it was true. They certainly wouldn't be highlighting the fact that keeping the down-syndrome child was such a great thing.

If it turned out that her young child engaged in sexual conduct, and the mother both knew and defended her...she would be so fucking ruined.

Her pro-life supporters would all be instantly alienated.

I doubt this is real...but with the "evidence" provided in this thread...it does seem...probable?

This shit has to be fake...it just has to! Biggest fuckup in history if it's not.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The association between New Orleans being hit with a hurricane and the Republican party isn't a positive one to many.

RubxQub: It's bullshit. Pay it no heed.

Gaborn

RubxQub said:
The pregnancy thing has to be fake, right?

I mean come on, she'd HAVE to know that it would get exposed eventually if it was true. They certainly wouldn't be highlighting the fact that keeping the down-syndrome child was such a great thing.

If it turned out that her young child engaged in sexual conduct, and the mother both knew and defended her...she would be so fucking ruined.

Her pro-life supporters would all be instantly alienated.

I doubt this is real...but with the "evidence" provided in this thread...it does seem...probable?

This shit has to be fake...it just has to! Biggest fuckup in history if it's not.

It's as real as Obama being a muslim is, and with about as much sourcing.

mj1108

Crayon Shinchan said:
She wasn't vetted properly. Hell, they might as well not have vet her at all.

It's almost like she won the position off a cereal box.

Then again, McCain seems to have a thing for beauty pageant queens....as she's one too (as well as his wife).

Krowley

Jak140 said:
Yeah, but how many of them are still supporting it now? Everyone makes mistakes, but refusing to even acknowledge them is a sign of immaturity and a complete lack of judgment.

McCain is brash and makes reckless split second choices, often without even fully considering the consequences, then he runs with them, repercussions be damned.

This last minute heat of the moment Palin pick just highlights his fatal flaw even further.

He met her once before he picked her as his VP. Once. She was never even seriously considered for VP by his campaign until less than a week ago. This was a desperate last ditch effort to resuscitate a dying campaign.

Making a VP pick without full vetting is dangerous, and while it may work, this reckless pick not only endangers his campaign and his party, but our country.

This is the man who puts country first? The man you want to lead the United States of America? Really?

Well you may not like the deliberative process, and I'll admit it's a perfect target for criticism, but guess what? I like her!!

However he got to the decision, he picked somebody unexpectedly that's actually got me excited about republican politics again. I can't wait to hear her speech at the convention. I don't agree with her on everything, but I like that she's not closley associated with any of the washington republicans. She doesn't have the stink of Bush on her. He couldn't have picked anybody in the senate, or anybody from a bigger state that would have given me the same reaction. Romney or Pawlenty would both have made me lose some faith in McCain. Romney certainly doesn't need to get anywhere near the presidency. Even though I'm not quite as conservative as her on several issues, She is the kind of republican that I would like to see become president someday. She is the kind of republican that I would expect McCain to pick.

GhaleonEB

capslock said:
Yeah, I gotta say, I am a dad too and my baby mama looked a LOT more pregnant than that at 7 months.
Yeah, I've got two kids as well. If she was seven months pregnant in that shot, then her kid was two pounds eight ounces at birth.

lopaz

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Anyone have faith the media will bring up that radio interview with Palin?

No. They don't do research any more, they report on the most popular youtube videos. So it's up to us guys!

TDG

Banned
Gaborn said:
But we have photographic proof of both!1!!

Seriously, why are any of you wasting your time with silly theories about McCain's running mate, of all people?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
aug30538.gif

Since Obama's speech was well received by voters, one can probably assume that his numbers would be slightly higher had John McCain not announced his VP yesterday. On the other hand, the notion that something was gained by limiting Obama's bounce is silly. The convention bounce almost always fades by itself (it would more aptly be described as a convention 'bubble'). Stopping a bounce is a strategy designed to improve one's standing in the FiveThirtyEight.com polling averages for a day or two, rather than one's chances of actually winning the election.

Gaborn

TDG said:
But we have photographic proof of both!1!!

Seriously, why are any of you wasting your time with silly conspiracy theories about McCain's running mate, of all people?

Because they want it to be true, just as some right wing loonies want Obama to really be a secret muslim.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Hitokage said:
RubxQub: It's bullshit. Pay it no heed.
Well ok then!

Gaborn said:
Oh shit, it is true! Everyone knows Obama's a muslim! My e-mails and my retarded out of touch parents both say it's true!

And I keep hearing about it! True true true!

This could be the Democrats McCain trick of 2000 move. Adopted baby = extramarital affair baby. Now we have down syndrome mother baby turns out to be down syndrome daughter baby!

It's as good as true as long as people talk about it. Same as the Muslim nonsense.

For the record, I'm 99% sure it's not true.

kevm3

Funny how being a first term gov is now tons of experience and now is the sort of experience that maters. I mean, what is her exact position on the Iraq war? Does she even know? She apparently doesn't know what a VP does either. Bodes well for Iraq if she does become president. Well, I guess she'll just wing it.

McCain, by his own admission, doesn't know much about the economy. Just what we need in the time of an ailing economy.

So on two of the most important issues, the economy and teh war in Iraq, we could have a VP that doesnk't know what's going on over there and a President that doesn't know much about the economy?

I'm tired of the Dems playing softball with "their friend" McCain. Start hitting these guys with THEIR OWN QUOTES.

Krowley said:
Romney or Pawlenty would both have made me lose some faith in McCain. Romney certainly doesn't need to get anywhere near the presidency.

Just so I can be clear why are Romney and Pawlenty poor and she is good from a policy and leadership perspective?

Jak140

Krowley said:
Well you may not like the deliberative process, and I'll admit it's a perfect target for criticism, but guess what? I like her!!

However he got to the decision, he picked somebody unexpectedly that's actually got me excited about republican politics again. I can't wait to hear her speech at the convention. I don't agree with her on everything, but I like that she's not closley associated with any of the washington republicans. She doesn't have the stink of Bush on her. He couldn't have picked anybody in the senate, or anybody from a bigger state that would have given me the same reaction. Romney or Pawlenty would both have made me lose some faith in McCain. Romney certainly doesn't need to get anywhere near the presidency. Even though I'm not quite as conservative as her on several issues, She is the kind of republican that I would like to see become president someday. She is the kind of republican that I would expect McCain to pick.
Way to completely ignore the point. Whether or not she turns out to be a good pick in the long run, it's the way he made the decision that is disturbing and should concern anyone who thinks he might actually win. If he makes this kind of reckless last ditch decision on the campaign trail, how is he going to act in the white house? It's scary.

Gremmie4

Krowley said:

Hey man I like her too. She's cute, very charasmatic, and seems like a fun person to be around with a nice family. I still don't want her anywhere near the fucking White House though and neither should any sane American.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
capslock said:
I never said she was a wonderful pick, she's a fucking terrible pick, but it makes everyone reasses McCain, and not all will do it in a negative way, and it keeps the media talking about his choice. That's what McCain needs, that's what he wants, the celebrity ads were stupid as hell, but the MSM picked up that bullshit and ran with it for almost a month.

The celeb ads made people question if Obama was experienced enough. This VP choice takes those commercials off the table.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Gremmie4 said:
Hey man I like her too. She's cute, very charasmatic, and seems like a fun person to be around with a nice family. I still don't want her anywhere near the fucking White House though and neither should any sane American.
Personally, I'd reserve the sanity argument for candidates like Keyes.

M3wThr33

Banned
RubxQub said:
Well ok then!

Oh shit, it is true! Everyone knows Obama's a muslim! My e-mails and my retarded out of touch parents both say it's true!

And I keep hearing about it! True true true!

This could be the Democrats McCain trick of 2000 move. Adopted baby = extramarital affair baby. Now we have down syndrome mother baby turns out to be down syndrome daughter baby!

It's as good as true as long as people talk about it. Same as the Muslim nonsense.

For the record, I'm 99% sure it's not true.

Just doing some quick searches, I have yet to see a picture of her pregnant. Nothing. Not even a fake pillow. Pregnant women do not look like that.

AND a few months prior to the announcement she was on the cover of Vogue. How do you do that and not announce then? I'm calling bullshit.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
syllogism said:
Perhaps it was people, though nielsen ratings are usually households. Still, through the four days the average was 22.5m households. Regardless, the original point stands. Few people would vote based on punditry and short speech excerpts.

e: Nielsen says a quarter of US households tuned in for the speech

Yeah it is households. And no the DEMs averaged 28 million households a night. That was equal to the Olympics.

MaddenNFL64

mckmas8808 said:
The celeb ads made people question if Obama was experienced enough. This VP choice takes those commercials off the table.

I never really got how McCain got away with the celeb attack. He's the one on Leno, SNL, and People magazine.

Krowley

Stoney Mason said:
Just so I can be clear why are Romney and Pawlenty poor and she is good from a policy and leadership perspective?

I absolutley hate Romney. If he ever became president, he would immediatley become a tool of big buisness. His soul is sold and he has no integrity. He is everything to everybody. He's probably a good manager, but I don't want him in the oval office.

Pawlenty is a little different. I kind of like Pawlenty, but he just doesn't feel right as McCains VP pick. I just wasn't able to warm to him, and as a political move, it would have shown that McCain is just going through the motions. If McCain wants to become president, first he has to win, and he's not going to do that by playing it safe.

I like her because she seems to have Integrity and she's an outsider. Every republican in alaska hates her guts! When's the last time you saw somebody climb to the top without kissing a lot of ass? She clearly isn't inclined to do a lot of ass kissing, and I have to appreciate that. I voted for Ross Perot back in the day, and I don't mind the idea of regular citizens running for high office.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Krowley said:
I like her because she seems to have Integrity and she's an outsider. Every republican in alaska hates her guts! When's the last time you saw somebody climb to the top without kissing a lot of ass? She clearly isn't inclined to do a lot of ass kissing, and I have to appreciate that.
Yeah, I'll definitely give her that. More than most other things, I hate how certain people think that everything their side does is excusable if not admirable while everything the other side does is evil.

Of course, that may be rather hard in Alaskan politics.

Gaborn

Hitokage said:
Yeah, I'll definitely give her that. More than most other things, I hate how certain people think that everything their side does is excusable while everything the other side does is evil.

Yep. If Mary Ruwart was the Libertarian nominee I might have considered voting for Obama. We alll have limits of candidates and people and actions and beliefs we can accept, but that applies to all parties or it means nothing as a principle.

Krowley

Jak140 said:
Way to completely ignore the point. Whether or not she turns out to be a good pick in the long run, it's the way he made the decision that is disturbing and should concern anyone who thinks he might actually win. If he makes this kind of reckless last ditch decision on the campaign trail, how is he going to act in the white house? It's scary.

It would concern me more if he deliberated and consulted everybody known to man, and ended up picking some party weasel. McCain has his own way of doing things, and it may not be conventional, but if he makes the right decision, I'm cool with it.

I don't begrudge others for being pissed or outraged or whatever. It's certainly questionable, but I'm happy as long as the results are OK.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Drek said:
It'll be interesting to see the next few weeks of polling data, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a few slightly red states tip even (namely Ohio and Florida) and possibly see Virginia fall into the blue category.

I'm seeing people say this, but what is the rationale of this occuring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom