• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevm3

Her speech sounds like an "Obama lite." So mccain and Palin are going down the change candidate route now eh?

She's seems like a good lady though. I like her a quite a bit more than the John McCain wehave now.

Which model for the Vice-Presidency do people support? The traditional, ceremonial role with little to do except go to funerals, or the Cheney model? Personally, I like a VP with an agenda, who goes to Capitol Hill and twists arms, who meets with foreign leaders and negotiates as a real representative of the President, etc. Gore had "reinventing government," but I never heard much about that. Cheney obviously uses the post for evil purposes, but he proves it can be more than a waiting game.

From what little I know of her, I also like Palin personally. And she has the makings of a great start to a higher political career. I think McCain would have better advanced his feminist credentials if Palin had been openly vetted, but sadly passed over as too green for 2008. A few more years as Alaska's governor and she could be a real threat against Obama in 2012. Now, though, she'll take the blame as the reason for McCain's loss, and I don't see that opportunity.

I think Obama is right to not come out swinging at Palin. Start preparing the "Wasilla left $20 million in debt" ads, but wait until the shock of the pick starts to wane.

Her attitudes, beliefs and voice remind me of a cuter version of:

donnie.jpg

Its nice to know that this historical election is going to be decided upon America's commitment to sparkle motion.

donniedarko_wideweb__470x2990.jpg

We are not amused.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
kevm3 said:
Her speech sounds like an "Obama lite." So mccain and Palin are going down the change candidate route now eh?

She's seems like a good lady though. I like her a quite a bit more than the John McCain wehave now.

They're on the borderline of going for the "integrity vote" at this point.

Tamanon

Banned
adamsappel said:
Which model for the Vice-Presidency do people support? The traditional, ceremonial role with little to do except go to funerals, or the Cheney model? Personally, I like a VP with an agenda, who goes to Capitol Hill and twists arms, who meets with foreign leaders and negotiates as a real representative of the President, etc. Gore had "reinventing government," but I never heard much about that. Cheney obviously uses the post for evil purposes, but he proves it can be more than a waiting game.

From what little I know of her, I also like Palin personally. And she has the makings of a great start to a higher political career. I think McCain would have better advanced his feminist credentials if Palin had been openly vetted, but sadly passed over as too green for 2008. A few more years as Alaska's governor and she could be a real threat against Obama in 2012. Now, though, she'll take the blame as the reason for McCain's loss, and I don't see that opportunity.

I think Obama is right to not come out swinging at Palin. Start preparing the "Wasilla left $20 million in debt" ads, but wait until the shock of the pick starts to wane.

Well no matter what a VP is going to do a LOT of meetings with foreign dignitaries, so I'd prefer someone that's able to do that. Gore did a ton of diplomatic work.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Holy fuck...she really had the balls the repeat her glass ceiling bullshit line against Hillary Clinton.

She is so fucked.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
RubxQub said:
Holy fuck...she really had the balls the repeat her glass ceiling bullshit line against Hillary Clinton.

She is so fucked.

I would imagine that she get pissed because she keeps getting invoked. She sucked today as well.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
You know, I would've been perfectly happy with Condoleeza Rice as a VP candidate. I don't agree with the policies, but she probably knows how to pronounce nuclear, among other things.

For the record, this is what happens when Fox News is the mouthpiece for your party, a far cry from the greatness of the party in the early 80s.

RubxQub

Cheerleader in Chief :lol

She doesn't sound at all especially intelligent or well-versed in anything she's talking about. In fact, she sounds like a McCain fan club member invited to speak on his behalf. I get nothing but uneasy feelings listening to her now.

Imm0rt4l

she's being real shameless name dropping hillary again. i want to see hillary tell her she doesnt want her name in palins mouth.

Tamanon

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
She doesn't sound at all especially intelligent or well-versed in anything she's talking about. In fact, she sounds like a McCain fan club member invited to speak on his behalf. I get nothing but uneasy feelings listening to her now.

She sounds like the local politicians that introduce McCain.

She just said she told Washington that she opposed the Bridge to Nowhere and told Washington that if Alaska wanted a bridge, they would build it themselves, but a quick Wikipedia look turns up this:

Governor Sarah Palin also supported the bridge, but canceled it when the Alaska delegation was unable to prevent changes to federal funding levels that more than doubled Alaska's portion of the bill from $160M(40.2%) to $329M (>82%) of the bridge's cost

link

Not only was she for it before she was against it, but she got turned off to the idea when Alaska was going to pay a bigger share of it

RubxQub said:

She is so fucked.

that's what's so hilarious about it. They're not even hiding the fact that it's a pander to "angry women".

RubxQub

PantherLotus said:
i have no problem questioning her experience, but i do have a problem with sexist comments, regardless of their obvious humor.
Not my words. It was the first comment by the MSNBC commentator.

That being said, this fool on their show right now just said that this was a great speech.

Palm meets face.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
^ i know, i'm just sayin.

Shockgamer said:
I thought it was just me...

no it was the same exact speech, word for almost-word. from the introductions, her short history, to the hillary mention, to the mccain recommendation. the 'change' bit was new today.

methane47

Nazgul_Hunter said:
She just said she told Washington that she opposed the Bridge to Nowhere and told Washington that if Alaska wanted a bridge, they would build it themselves, but a quick Wikipedia look turns up this:

link

Not only was she for it before she was against it, but she got turned off to the idea when Alaska was going to pay a bigger share of it

LOLOL ofcourse this will never ever get picked up by the media.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
MightyHedgehog said:

I wasn't paying attention to her speaking because she sounded like a teacher or a soldier's mom introducing someone else. I look up and there she is, orating poorly. She will need to get better at speechifying and fast.

Tamanon

Banned
Nazgul_Hunter said:

link

I didn't realize that was the reason she said no to it later on. That's bad news for her.

Chris R

methane47 said:
Good god... were they drunk when they named their kids?

Track? Trig? Willow? Bristol?

WTF?
Willow is the names of a town in Alaska, Bristol is like Bristol Bay, and Piper is the name of a plane.

Chrono

Banned
This Palin decision is simply pathetic on so many levels, it makes me sick.

By the way, I was thinking about the 2016 elections... Assuming Obama wins and is elected again in 2012... Would Hillary be too old to run in 2016? She'd be 68, right? I think Biden will definitely be too old then, older than McCain's current age... Which would leave Hillary going up against... Kaine? :p

PantherLotus said:
i have no problem questioning her experience, but i do have a problem with sexist comments, regardless of their obvious humor.

i don;t think anybody's being sexist. women are obviously good at things, whether it be cooking and making the bed. so the prospect of one being a leader isn't far from the realm of possibility

Stinkles

Was she properly vetted? I mean, the slightness of her experience, the status of her positions and donors and sponsors, her public speaking ability, an ongoing investigation. She's a very poor candidate on paper and it's not like McCain had ever even met her.

Jesus. Who vetted her?

mj1108

PantherLotus said:
The Republicans simply cannot win going on the Change ticket.

Especially if they don't denounce and ridicule anything Bush has done.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Was she properly vetted? I mean, the slightness of her experience, the status of her positions and donors and sponsors, her public speaking ability, an ongoing investigation. She's a very poor candidate on paper and it's not like McCain had ever even met her.

Jesus. Who vetted her?

There was a story on MSNBC that they had only met 1 time.

Tamanon

Banned
Chrono said:
This Palin decision is simply pathetic on so many levels, it makes me sick.

By the way, I was thinking about the 2016 elections... Assuming Obama wins and is elected again in 2012... Would Hillary be too old to run in 2016? She'd be 68, right? I think Biden will definitely be too old then, older than McCain even... Which would leave Hillary going up against... Kaine? :p

Maybe Mark Warner, it all REALLY depends on what the country is like. A lot of times with the Dems you really can't even tell.

Formless said:
The only Alaskan I'll listen to is Gravel.
I'd like to hear his thoughts on her, too. I was an early Gravel supporter.*

* I know he's crazy. I like to chuck a wrench into the machine every now and then.

When McCain talks about cleaning up Washington, and moving past those who practice the politics of the past, and overcoming those who put themselves before their country...

Who is he talking about?

Tamanon

Banned
NullPointer said:
When McCain talks about cleaning up Washington, and moving past those who practice the politics of the past, and overcoming those who put themselves before their country...

Who is he talking about?

You know, guys.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Tamanon said:
Maybe Mark Warner, it all REALLY depends on what the country is like. A lot of times with the Dems you really can't even tell.

And someone could wind up elected to the House/Senate this year, take 8 years of service, do some big things, get some recognition, etc. Then run in 2016. Kinda like Obama's story but a little slower.

NullPointer said:

Who is he talking about?
His alter ego.

You know: McCainman!

Door2Dawn

Banned
NullPointer said:

Who is he talking about?
barack_obama_portrait_2005.jpg

kevm3

It seemed like she tried to give Barack Obama's speech but without the oomph. She looks like a hot librarian in her pictures, but unfortunately, she also seems to have the speech giving ability of one. She looks like a seductress in pictures, but when she speaks, she really has a PTA mom vibe. She doesn't really have the sort of force that Hillary Clinton had to be a powerful woman leader. She's very likable though. She'll be great in getting some cult of personality votes.

Now, I don't really know if it's all that great an idea for the McCain campaign to go down tha "change candidate" road. Palin's highly conservative views coupled with McCain's record of voting with Bush a majority of the time doesn't really support that image.

As I said before, she's very personable and likably, but she just seems too green right now. Who knows, things could change. I wouldn't underestimate her. She was solid, but not the homerun hitter McCain needed tonight. The Dems definitely shouldn't go into this expecting her to be some idiot that'll be easy to get past.

Stinkles

NullPointer said:
Her attitudes, beliefs and voice remind me of a cuter version of:

donnie.jpg

Its nice to know that this historical election is going to be decided upon America's commitment to sparkle motion.

donniedarko_wideweb__470x2990.jpg

We are not amused.

2ikqgox.jpg

I think it seems likely that Palin is going to be pretty much destroyed in her VP debate(s)...if not by Biden's towering level of experience on all matters that should be of primary concern to a VP and potential President, then certainly by the questions of the moderator(s) themselves on the many things she has exhibited, so far, absolutely no indication of knowledge on. We'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom