• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
MSNBC deciding that Obama's speech is not good enough to be played :(

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
PantherLotus said:
!!! time to bring back the fainting women. :lol

Or the sign of a crappy political system, neither of which either side of the aisle has any motivation to change (or right to bitch about). This is common for all candidates and is a non issue. Nobody in their right mind would accuse their opponent of this, regardless of truth, because they too have to do the same thing. Prevention of hypocrisy, if you will.

Surely you don't want to discuss how much time McCain has spent campaigning for elections, reelections, and presidential runs?

Which is why I think that this 2 party system is flawed. There needs to be more diversity and voices in the political system.

Yes McCain has spent a lot of time campaigning, but he has spent less of his career campaigning. I'd say McCain probably 20% of his career while Obama 65%. But yeah, it's still BS.

RubxQub

PantherLotus said:
did i mention i freaking LOVE Hottie McPreggers? Am I weird?
Nah dude it's all goo-

PantherLotus said:
I want to tickle that popped out belly button.

...oh :lol

Jak140

UltimaKilo said:
http://www.manufacturing.net/News-Exports-Spur-US-Economy-Recovery.aspx?menuid=724

The economy is on an upswing Obama avoiding recession with 3% growth, which is very healthy. But he will NEVER look into that fact.

http://www.manufacturing.net/News-Exports-Spur-US-Economy-Recovery.aspx?menuid=724

Uhh, yeah, this is due to the fact that the dollar tanked so it was cheaper for other countries to buy our exports. Not the best sign of a healthy economy. In fact, most economists expect this trend to reverse soon, since foreign markets are on the downswing now too.

Deku

Banned
UltimaKilo said:

The economy is on an upswing Obama avoiding recession with 3% growth, which is very healthy. But he will NEVER look into that fact.

Most Americans don't own factories or companies that own factories that is marginally benefiting from the weak dollar.

One positive economic indicator does not a recovery make.

RubxQub

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Did he just make it seem that Military men and women don't have access to school? Even their families have access to schooling after that bill pushed by Bush. However the other part of that is a great idea: if you serve the government, they will pay for your school.

UltimaKilo said:

YEAH! America is on the rebound now! Thanks to the weak dollar, exporting is making the economy all better now!

The Bureau of Labor Statistics released its monthly summary of job data for July 2008.

Among the most notable items in the report:

Unemployment rose from 5.5% in June to 5.7% in July.
There were 51,000 fewer jobs in July. Total job loss for 2008 so far is 463,000. That is an average of 66,000 jobs lost per month.
The most notable losses were in construction, manufacturing and employment services. The drop for employment services indicates far fewer companies are using temporary help.
The report also mentioned that teenagers and young adults who usually take on part-time jobs during the summer have had challenges in finding a job this year.

Tamanon

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
Did he just make it seem that Military men and women don't have access to school? Even their families have access to schooling after that bill pushed by Bush. However the other part of that is a great idea: if you serve the government, they will pay for your school.

wat? The bill was pushed by Webb and they had to make sure and get a veto-proof majority because Bush had threatened to veto it, because it might hurt retention.

TDG

Banned
I assume you were all watching Obama's rally in Dublin. I really wanted to go, I live like 15 minutes away from the rally, but I had a prior engagement. Oh well, I'll go see him the next time he comes to Westerville, or when he has a big downtown rally in October.

I still remember going to Kerry's last rally in Columbus...

Jak140

I love how UltimaKilo pretends to be some well-informed unbiased moderate by making accusations that consistently turn out to be false or misinformed.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Tamanon said:
wat? The bill was pushed by Webb and they had to make sure and get a veto-proof majority because Bush had threatened to veto it, because it might hurt retention.

You are correct, but the President did endorse it early on. I mistook it with the President's signing of the Hubbard Act this month.

Deku

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
What's sadder is that he's a Dolphin's fan.
florida.gif

UltimaKilo said:
Well alright, educate me. I couldn't find anything on Bush opposing it only about him talking about it during his state of the union address.

Basically, Bush put forth his own bill that was cheaper than Webb's.

From Sean Hannity's website:

Decision to pick Gov Sarah Palin:

83% - Brilliant
9% - Not sure yet
3% - Don't like her
6% - I wanted someone else

Brilliant.

Honorable mention goes to: Hannidate.com: The place where people of like conservative minds can come together to meet(tm).

Deku

Banned
Propagandhim said:

Decision to pick Gov Sarah Plain:

83% - Brilliant
9% - Not sure yet
3% - Don't like her
6% - I wanted someone else

Brilliant.

I doubt 83% of Republcans even approve of the pick, seems like a kool-aid drinking Republications are mugging up the tally.

RubxQub

Propagandhim said:

Asses are used for:

83% - Pulling information out of
9% - Not sure yet
3% - Pooping
6% - Republicans rule
Fixed

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
theviolenthero said:
Basically, Bush put forth his own bill that was cheaper than Webb's.

Some Department of Defense officials and President Bush had argued that the measures would hurt servicemember retention in a time when retention is critical for the military. A Government Accountability Office study that had been cited by opponents states that retention will drop by 16%, while proponents counter that the same study predicts recruitment will be up by 16% due to the new incentives this bill would create. Senator Webb also pointed out that currently, "recent studies show that 70% of all enlisted members get out at or before their initial enlistment."

While President Bush had initially threatened to veto the bill, in early June of 2008 the White House signaled he might be willing to sign it along with the war funding bill. He wanted to see transferability between spouses and dependents added onto the new G.I. Bill, making it more valuable to career military personal that would like to pay for their spouse or child's education.[1] On June 19, 2008 this provision was added to the war funding bill and President Bush indicated he would sign such a bill.

There.

Tamanon

Banned
UltimaKilo said:

There was also opposition in the months before, because he wanted the benefits to apply to those who served longer. This wasn't something that just appeared, Webb has been trying to get it passed forever, Bush only signed on at the very end.:lol

Krowley

DeaconKnowledge said:
So, Krowley and other Republicans, I would really like your take on Palin personally admitting

That she didn't know what a VP did less than a month ago

Has admitted to no knowledge of the Iraq war

On the VP thing, if you read it in context, it was clearly the standard stock answer that potential VP's give when they're trying to look uninterested in the job. She's saying "I'm not so interested in a job where I'm not going to be doing anything, I'm perfectly happy up here in Alaska, staying Busy. " she's joking around about the VP slot, whcih historicly is only a stepping stone. Dick Cheyney is obviously a different situation, but McCain is not going to give any VP that kind of influence. The fact that so many in this thread is linking to that quote out of context is pretty misleading, although I'm sure most of them are doing it accidentaly.

The Iraq quote I've seen strikes me more as if she's trying to avoid taking a hard stance, and therefore avoiding specifics. She probably doesn't know a whole lot about the Iraq war, or foreign policy, but I Imagine she probably has at least a laymans understanding. The fact that she's so conversant on energy policy tells me that she's not intellectualy incurious enough to be clueless about the biggest news story of the last 8 years. Based on the cnbc interview I listened to a little while ago, that doesn't seem likley at all. She's not the type to be quite that ignorant.

RubxQub

Krowley said:
On the VP thing, if you read it in context, it was clearly the standard stock answer that potential VP's give when they're trying to look uninterested in the job. She's saying "I'm not so interested in a job where I'm not going to be doing anything, I'm perfectly happy up here in Alaska, staying Busy. " she's joking around about the VP slot, whcih historicly is only a stepping stone. Dick Cheyney is obviously a different situation, but McCain is not going to give any VP that kind of influence. The fact that so many in this thread is linking to that quote out of context is pretty misleading, although I'm sure most of them are doing it accidentaly.

The Iraq quote I've seen strikes me more as if she's trying to avoid taking a hard stance, and therefore avoiding specifics. She probably doesn't know a whole lot about the Iraq war, or foreign policy, but I Imagine she probably has at least a laymans understanding. The fact that she's so conversant on energy policy tells me that she's not intellectualy incurious enough to be clueless about the biggest news story of the last 8 years. Based on the cnbc interview I listened to a little while ago, that doesn't seem likley at all. She's not the type to be quite that ignorant.
...but shouldn't our world leaders be more informed on the issues than me and you? Isn't that just a basic requisite of the job in question?

Krowley said:

There is nothing misleading about that quote. She stated flatly that she doesn't know what the VP does. Stop trying to spin. THanks. Bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom