• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RubxQub said:
...but shouldn't our world leaders be more informed on the issues than me and you? Isn't that just a basic requisite of the job in question?

Palin for VP:
"She's not the type to be quite that ignorant."

I can see it now...

Krowley

TheKingsCrown said:
There is nothing misleading about that quote. She stated flatly that she doesn't know what the VP does. Stop trying to spin. THanks. Bye.

Bullshit!

The quote in context.

As for that VP talk all the time, I’ll tell you, I still can’t answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day? I’m used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that we’re trying to accomplish up here for the rest of the U.S., before I can even start addressing that question.”

In other words, she's saying, I'm perfectly happy as governer, and I don't want a do-nothing job. I'm not going to be interested in the vp job unless I get some kind of agreement that I can do something productive.

If you watch the video, she says the whole thing in a teasing way. She is making fun of the general uslessness of the VP slot.

Every clip i've seen on youtube is only showing the first part of that quote, and taking it out of context makes it seem ridiculous. Even reading it doesn't give the full effect, because you have to see the way it's delivered to get the full meaning.

Krowley said:
Bullshit!

The quote in context.

In other words, she's saying, I'm perfectly happy as governer, and I don't want a do-nothing job. I'm not going to be interested in the vp job unless I get some kind of agreement that I can do something productive.

If you watch the video, she says the whole thing in a teasing way.
WTF are you talking about? The VP is not a do nothing job. You are representing the fucking united states. Get a life.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I know that Fox doesn't try to hide their feelings, but what the fuck. Sean Hannity trying to profit from this shit?

23iv1qg.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Wow what a crazy story. The guy said "Did he make it?" to McCain and he responded "Yeah he's OK" and the guys responds "Oh thank God!" and dies.

Tamanon

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
I know that Fox doesn't try to hide their feelings, but what the fuck. Sean Hannity trying to profit from this shit?

23iv1qg.jpg

Yeah, it used to be the Stop Hillary Express until Super Tuesday or show when he changed it up.

Krowley

TheKingsCrown said:
WTF are you talking about? The VP is not a do nothing job. You are representing the fucking united states. Get a life.

:lol

The vice presidents job is to wait for the president to die, and break ties in the senate.

Anything else they do is up to the discretion of the president. Usually that will include a bit of diplomacy, attending official events and thats about it. The job is generaly a stepping stone to higher office. In recent years it has become more important, but historicly that is not the case. Different presidents will give different VP's different powers.

edit// But really, you're free to read her quote however you want :p I honestly don't care if you agree or not.

Mahadev

Bauer Action Hour said:
Gaborn said:
Facts were never Obama's thing.
Apparently not yours either. The 65 years of marriage comment was a reference to John Glenn's marriage.

It takes a lot of courage to keep getting pwned but still trying. I admire your personality Gaborn, every other normal human being
with some dignity
would have given up by now.

Jak140

Palin said:
"As for that VP talk all the time, I’ll tell you, I still can’t answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day? I’m used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that we’re trying to accomplish up here for the rest of the U.S., before I can even start addressing that question.”

So the first thing that the person running on an anti-cronyism platform thinks of when considering a VP position is how it could be used to benefit Alaska? Fantastic.

Yet another demonstration of the "Country First" platitude being two-faced pandering bullshit.

Krowley said:
The vice presidents job is to wait for the president to die

Hardly an insignificant job when the presidential nominee is a 72 year old who has had multiple bouts with skin cancer.

Krowley

Jak140 said:
So the first thing that the person running on an anti-cronyism platform thinks of when considering a VP position is how it could be used to benefit Alaska? Fantastic.

Yet another demonstration of the "Country First" platitude being two-faced pandering bullshit.

Yeah that was unfortunate, I agree. It's the kind of mistake a small town politician would make though. She's going to have to improve on that or the media will eat her alive. It was probably born from the fact that alaskans feel very seperated from the rest of the country, and in that moment, she's still just thinking of herself as the governer of Alaska.

Jak140 said:
Hardly an insignificant job when the presidential nominee is a 72 year old who has had multiple bouts with skin cancer.

Not insignificant, but probably pretty boring.

Gaborn

Mahadev said:
It takes a lot of courage to keep getting pwned but still trying. I admire your personality Gaborn, every other normal human being
with some dignity
would have given up by now.

Oh come on, I wasn't watching, someone else provided bad information and I reacted. You know very well if John McCain said something like that, or someone SAID he said something like that during a speech not everyone was watching someone would respond with something similar.

Chrono

Banned
Jak140 said:
I love how UltimaKilo pretends to be some well-informed unbiased moderate by making accusations that consistently turn out to be false or misinformed.

Seriously. It's hilarious. :lol

Yaweee

Nominee for most shamelessly bullshit title:

"Would You Hire Barack Obama?
The resume of a chronic underachiever. "

From the Weekly Standard.

Tamanon

Banned
Yaweee said:
Nominee for most shamelessly bullshit title:

"Would You Hire Barack Obama?
The resume of a chronic underachiever. "

From the Weekly Standard.

Could be worse, the RNC website has the first article about Palin and the second article touting their NotReady08.com website, hehe.

Deku

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:

23iv1qg.jpg

Bad design, if the 'stop' is obscured or hard to see like on the mug, it looks like a pro obama product.

Suggestion for vandals > obscure 'Stop' on the bumper stickers. :lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
You know what this Palin VP pick reminds me of?

Two random people hooking up in Vegas, getting shit faced drunk, and then marrying on a whim after knowing each other for less than 3 hours.

jandar

Where is the outrage over Moore idiotically laughing that there must be a god since Gustav is set to take out New Orleans the same day the Republican National Convention starts?

Never mind the fact that even if people didn't get hurt by Katrina, it still cost people 48 billion dollars in damages.....

Fucking super liberals, who cares who gets hurt, so long as the evil Repubs lose!

Tamanon

Banned
jandar said:
Where is the outrage over Moore idiotically laughing that there must be a god since Gustav is set to take out New Orleans the same day the Republican National Convention starts?

Never mind the fact that even if people didn't get hurt by Katrina, it still cost people 48 billion dollars in damages.....

Fucking super liberals, who cares who gets hurt, so long as the evil Repubs lose!

It's Moore, everyone know's he's a moron.

Chris R

Who thought the slogan for the republican attack site notready08 was a good idea?

I almost spat out my drink last night when I saw someone standing in front of a sign that read "A Mile High, an Inch Deep" :lol

Tamanon

Banned
rhfb said:
Who thought the slogan for the republican attack site notready08 was a good idea?

I almost spat out my drink last night when I saw someone standing in front of a sign that read "A Mile High, an Inch Deep" :lol

"Not ready" was going to be the theme of the Rep Convention until McCain veered the bus off the road.:lol

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
jandar said:

http://pageoneq.com/news/2008/Focus_on_the_Family_video_Pray_for_rain_at_Obamas_DNC_s_0812.html

Would it be wrong if we asked people to pray for rain?"

Stuart Shepard, digital media director for Focus on the Family's "Focus Action," is hoping for sudden, heavy rain at Denver's Invesco Field at Mile High during the speech of a certain presidential nominee on August 28.

"Abundant rain," he quipped. "Torrential rain. Urban and small stream flood advisory rain."

Tamanon said:
"Not ready" was going to be the theme of the Rep Convention until McCain veered the bus off the road.:lol

Howard Fineman said that this pick fucked them over big time.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
jandar said:

Because nobody listens to that nut?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This will allow Clinton to have someone to fight against, so it will keep the Clinton supporters on the Dem's side anyway.

Can't believe how awful McCain's campaign is.

jandar said:

Now look who is ultra sensitive. You CAN respect the situation and still recognize the irony.

Face it - the biggest symbol of Bush domestic failure is coming back into the public's focus in a very big way. Its almost karmic.

jandar said:

It's a funny thing. The irony of the whole situation is glorious (especially since some conservatives were praying for it rain on Obama's parade) but at the same time it is a serious matter. Thus you can have a chuckle at home but it's not a good thing on national television.

TheKingsCrown said:
Calm down. Vice-President is traditionally a do-nothing gig. John Nance Garner, FDR's first VP, famously described the job as "not worth a bucket of warm piss." In the modern era, it's really only Cheney who has used the position as a power platform, and that for foul, evil ends. I highly doubt that Palin would fit that mold. Biden I can see doing more, with Obama's blessing.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
This republican party has become a fucking self-parody, as it rightly deserves, a dangerous circus inside an echo chamber that has lost all perspective of right and wrong. What a clusterfuck. I don't want or expect merely a win for Democrats in November- I want a fucking landslide. The republican party deserves to be punished severely for all their transgressions and all their ugly tactics, and a loss by deeply embarrassing margins will accomplish just that.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Tribalism, projection, AND equivocation...
Slurpy said:
This republican party has become a fucking self-parody, as it rightly deserves, a dangerous circus inside an echo chamber that has lost all perspective of right and wrong. What a clusterfuck. I don't want or expect merely a win for Democrats in November- I want a fucking landslide. The republican party deserves to be punished severely for all their transgressions and all their ugly tactics, and a loss by deeply embarrassing margins will accomplish just that.
No, tell us how you really feel.

this is really irking me too

i don't see how any republican can argue that the palin pick was anything other than strictly political. you can't argue that he checked out his shortlist and went "woah hey now she'd be ready to be commander-in-chief in a heartbeat."

it was a brilliant move in the politcal sense. but he's risking his country at the expense of winning. horrible.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It may turn out ok for them, but anyone not affected by cognitive dissonance should at least recognize what a huge fucking gamble McCain is making here.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Hitokage said:
It may turn out ok for them, but anyone not affected by cognitive dissonance should at least recognize what a huge fucking gamble McCain is making here.

Well, we won't know for some time. I think she may bring more attention to the VP debates than Romney would.

bill0527

TheKingsCrown said:

Up until Dick Cheney, the VP slot has been a do-nothing job.

Al Gore did nothing.
Dan Quayle did nothing.
George HW Bush did nothing.

I couldn't even tell you the names of Carter and Ford's VPs and I was around back then.

They may have to break the occasional tie in the Senate, but that seldom happens.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
bill0527 said:
Up until Dick Cheney, the VP slot has been a do-nothing job.

Al Gore did nothing.
Dan Quayle did nothing.
George HW Bush did nothing.

I couldn't even tell you the names of Carter and Ford's VPs and I was around back then.

They may have to break the occasional tie in the Senate, but that seldom happens.

Who was the candidate during the primaries that said they had no intention to be the VP because it was a do-nothing job?

Tyrone Slothrop said:
this is really irking me too

i don't see how any republican can argue that the palin pick was anything other than strictly political. you can't argue that he checked out his shortlist and went "woah hey now she'd be ready to be commander-in-chief in a heartbeat."

it was a brilliant move in the politcal sense. but he's risking his country at the expense of winning. horrible.

McCain has shown that he's pretty much willing to put his political aspirations ahead of the good of the country. Palin is simply not even close to being qualified for VP...which is also a qualification for president. It's like Laura Roslin, secretary of Education (Battlestar Gallactica) being bumped up to President.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hitokage said:

And if you are in a position where you have to take a gamble on your VP pick, doesn't that show that you are easily losing?

And all VP picks never give much to the election, so why is McCain lying to himself thinking this pick will change his fate?

UltimaKilo said:
I think she may bring more attention to the VP debates than Romney would.

thats the thing. i think she's going to bring more attention in every way. he basically put a beauty queen on the ticket, and for perhaps the first time the mccain campaign is anything but lethargic. they have something to party about now.

and i don't mean to impugne the position of governer per se. i think she's a really accomplished woman ect ect. but for a multitude of reasons i'm horrified at the prospect of her running my life, esp. coming off the heels of the bush administration's damage

DUBLIN, Ohio--Barack Obama and Joe Biden took their message to the nation's test-market Saturday evening, hosting a boisterous outdoor rally outside Columbus, Ohio.

With the sun sitting over a football field at Dublin-Coffman High School, Obama and his running mate took turns bashing opponent John McCain, largely on pocketbook issues. Obama, particularly, pointed to President George W. Bush's comments Saturday that the economy was making progress, even as a report said personal income in July saw its largest drop since 2005.

Estimates had the crowd at the sprawling suburban high school as high as 19,000. Local campaign officials said it was larger than expected, especially given that this Saturday was the highest of holy days in Central Ohio: the day of home football game for the Ohio State Buckeyes.

Obama referred to as much, leading the crowd in a chant of "OH-IO" -- the same one done at football games. (One wag in the press corps said, "I wonder what he'll do in Michigan?")

Biden took some fresh foreign policy swipes at McCain, saying that Obama had been proven right in his positions on adding troops in Afghanistan, setting a timetable for the removal of forces in Iraq and opening a diplomatic dialogue with Iran. "Barack Obama was right. John McCain was wrong."

Biden was cheered loudly when he referred to his native Scranton, Pa., perhaps suggesting that his roots may play well in this state as well. As for the newly announced vice presidential nominee on the Republican side, Sarah Palin was not mentioned by name. Obama joked, however, that in the 19 months of the campaign, he has visited every state in the country "except Alaska." The crowd hooted. "I might have to get up there," Obama said.

Obama and Biden were introduced by retired Sen. John Glenn (D-Ohio), still a legend in his home state. And both politicians in turn praised Glenn, with Biden saying that meeting Glenn for the first time in the Senate was one of his biggest thrills.

Glenn, now 87, for his part, also called McCain a good friend and said he "went through some things I'm not sure I could go through." This, from a man who orbited the Earth three times in a small capsule.

Glenn referred to Ohio's long-standing reputation as a consumer test market and suggested that this battleground state could again prove decisive. "If it will sell in Ohio, it will sell in the whole U.S.," he said.

http://weblogs.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/blog/2008/08/obama_biden_draw.html

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Tyrone Slothrop said:
thats the thing. i think she's going to bring more attention in every way. he basically put a beauty queen on the ticket, and for perhaps the first time the mccain campaign is anything but lethargic. they have something to party about now.

and i don't mean to impugne the position of governer per se. i think she's a really accomplished woman ect ect. but for a multitude of reasons i'm horrified at the prospect of her running my life, esp. coming off the heels of the bush administration's damage

Well accomplishments or not, they won't mean a lot if she can't compete with Biden!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom