• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think Gustav will be GOOD for the Republicans from an ideological standpoint. During Katrina, people stayed around and realized that you shouldn't be relying on the government to take care of shit you could easily have avoided. This time around everyone is heeding caution and getting the fuck out of there. Consequently there will probably be few casualties, unlike Katrina.

To boot, they will see how a Republican governor in Jindal handles his shit, unlike the joke which was the Blanco and Nagin show.

laserbeam said:
They would be eaten alive if they did business as usual . The Democrats would be like see they are out of touch etc etc. While the nations damaged areas try to recover they are partying etc
good point so they are fucked if they do and they are fucked if they don't is the way I am seeing it

such a bad timing for a major hurricane

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Door2Dawn said:
Pretty fucking shameless..

A lot democrats might be thinking it, but you don't say it.

Door2Dawn said:
There is no way in hell McCain would skip out on his own convention.

To be fair, he'd likely get a better PR boost from canceling due to the Hurricane than if he tried to give a big speech while the new will be covering the hurricane anyways,

laserbeam

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
good point so they are fucked if they do and they are fucked if they don't is the way I am seeing it

such a bad timing for a major hurricane

As Gustav finally hits land and starts to diminish then Hannah will be closing in on Florida more than likely. Its just a rough next week and a half or so for the gulf region

Tamanon

Banned
laserbeam said:
As Gustav finally hits land and starts to diminish then Hannah will be closing in on Florida more than likely. Its just a rough next week and a half or so for the gulf region

I actually wonder if that might be a reason that McCain didn't pick Crist or Jindal. Just because the optics would've been horrible.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
That's EX-DNC chairman.

McCain was scheduled to deliver his acceptance speech Thursday but now may do so from the devastation zone if the storm hits the U.S. coast with the ferocity feared by forecasters.

What, no cake this time? I guess these people are only important during a fucking election year.

v1cious said:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles_of_faith/2008/08/sarah_palin_on.html

screw the experience argument, this is how they need to go after Palin. she's a far right religious extremist that hates gays.

"Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information....Healthy debate is so important and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both. And you know, I say this too as the daughter of a science teacher. Growing up with being so privileged and blessed to be given a lot of information on, on both sides of the subject -- creationism and evolution. It's been a healthy foundation for me. But don't be afraid of information and let kids debate both sides."

I'm a staunch evolutionist, but even at that, there is an ultimate leap of faith you have to make as to what set things spinning in motion which is not much different than "creationism" - though not so explicit as to say man was created in his current form, which is obviously not true.

I don't see a problem, when teaching evolution, in saying "There are alternative theories, such as creationism...." but beyond a single sentence or paragraph, there's not much point to having creationism in a science curriculum.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Is the RNC postponed? At this point they should just do it as the President is probably going to be too busy all week and he is usually the one to open up. Also the fund raiser at the RNC will probably raise more awareness after the storm. I'm hearing that the RNC is going to become a telethon.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
King_Slender said:
LOL - as if Ken Melman had said something similar the Dems wouldn't be all over it.

lol?

UltimaKilo said:
Yep, but you know... If it was Karl Rove that said something like this, people would be asking for his head.

What is it with you people and your hypotheticals? Karl Rove is known for saying all sorts of crazy shit, neither of these guys are relevant in this election. So who cares?

Tamanon

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
Yep, but you know... If it was Karl Rove that said something like this, people would be asking for his head.

Well, Karl Rove is a bit more of a public figure than the chairman of the DNC from over 10 years ago. Besides, most people want Karl Rove's head for legit crimes, not an asinine comment:p

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Tamanon said:
Well, Karl Rove is a bit more of a public figure than the chairman of the DNC from over 10 years ago. Besides, most people want Karl Rove's head for legit crimes, not an asinine comment:p

Fine, let's say it was ex RNC chairman Ed Gillespie or any other Republican. They would be asking for his head.

Tamanon

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
Here is a question:

Is this Jindal's time to show he is the future of the Republican party?

I think this is actually one of the things that has the possibility of vaulting him up for a 2012 run, but it also has the possibility of killing his future too.

Kilo: Again, people would be going, "who?" Fowler's just a random schmo now, coasting on his riches and remaining minor influence.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think in 2012 you'll see a third party strongly supported enough by then. McCain can only lose if it keeps on going as it is, which will probably lead even more Republicans to call it quits (along with supporters).

UltimaKilo said:
Fine, let's say it was ex RNC chairman Ed Gillespie or any other Republican. They would be asking for his head.
Ask for his head then.

Damn. You don't see anyone arguing with you about this. Low and sick statement. Given this administrations history with contractors, a lot of people could die if Gustav doesn't break.

To make light of it is low. The man's no friend of mine.

Jak140

UltimaKilo said:
Oh I'm sure the dems would have made sure to make them known...
Low profile politicians rarely get attention for offensive, but relatively small gaffes like this. Regardless, you can be sure that both sides would make a big deal if an opponent made one while running for office. Kind of ridiculous to single out one side for this.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
UltimaKilo said:
Here is a question:

Is this Jindal's time to show he is the future of the Republican party?

no way. he should stay relatively obscured at this time.. just in case mccain crash and burns.. pop up later.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Tamanon said:
I think this is actually one of the things that has the possibility of vaulting him up for a 2012 run, but it also has the possibility of killing his future too.

Kilo: Again, people would be going, "who?" Fowler's just a random schmo now, coasting on his riches and remaining minor influence.

I mean, how good of a Presidential candidate would he make? He seems too nice and soft spoken to compete on a national stage, I could be wrong.

On Fowler, yeah he is not very well known and I personally don't think it's a big deal. But I still feel like the public would tear Gillespie a new ass if he said something like this. For instance: when that story on McCain came out on his alleged affair, people on GAF were raging, the NYT later reported for lack of sources and bad reporting. But when the story broke on Edwards, and I posted on it, all I got was a "lol c'mon, nobody believed that." The nation was very much the same and the outrage was very small.

The reason I posted it is because I'm an ex Edwards supporter who was really disappointed.

laserbeam

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
no way. he should stay relatively obscured at this time.. just in case mccain crash and burns.. pop up later.
Jindal's age certainly played a part in his remaining low key. He is only 37

Tamanon

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
I mean, how good of a Presidential candidate would he make? He seems too nice and soft spoken to compete on a national stage, I could be wrong.

On Fowler, yeah he is not very well known and I personally don't think it's a big deal. But I still feel like the public would tear Gillespie a new ass if he said something like this. For instance: when that story on McCain came out on his alleged affair, people on GAF were raging, the NYT later reported for lack of sources and bad reporting. But when the story broke on Edwards, and I posted on it, all I got was a "lol c'mon, nobody believed that." The nation was very much the same and the outrage was very small.

The reason I posted it is because I'm an ex Edwards supporter who was really disappointed.

Well, the McCain story was from the NYT, plus he was actually the Republican candidate, whereas Edwards is an also ran.

Also, I think you must've missed the straight week of Edwards coverage and outrage thread.

Karma: A good day. Nothing bad happened, just the second day analysis of the Palin pick which has been pretty negative so far. For the day, Obama/Biden just did some palling around in Ohio.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
Just answer me this... has today been a good day or bad day for Obama?
227479.jpg

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Thunder Monkey said:
Ask for his head then.

Damn. You don't see anyone arguing with you about this. Low and sick statement. Given this administrations history with contractors, a lot of people could die if Gustav doesn't break.

To make light of it is low. The man's no friend of mine.

I don't care what the guy says, just harms himself not me. I was just saying that there is a little of a double standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom