• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
mckmas8808 said:
So will the GOP get a huge bounce with the people's focus on the hurricane?

With the stuff that is going on and some of the model data being tossed around, the country could be going into a hurricane frenzy for a couple of weeks. Think of it as sort of a rain delay for the general election.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
King_Slender said:
What I'm saying is, you won't hear it from Palin like you did from Hillary.
oh I'll hold you to that too

You done moving the goalposts, or are you ready to take a stand?

lopaz

Banned
King_Slender said:
How is the fact that McCain was a POW playing up the victim card? Nobody is attacking him for being a POW :lol

Because he uses it to shield against any criticism. They put out a statement demanding that "D+D playing basement dwellers" respect him instead of criticising. Yes, they play the victim card. Non-stop.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
King_Slender said:
What I'm saying is, you won't hear it from Palin like you did from Hillary.

You shouldn't even have to explain. The Obamites make plenty of bold statements and I don't see ban threats like you just got and branduil got. What the hell?

edit:
Why not put a tag on Mcmass or whatever his name is stating that if Biden doesn't "destroy" Palin, then call bishop?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Who's threatening to ban him? I just said I'd hold him to his statement. Nothing he's said warrants a ban - wry chuckles, outright laughter at times, but certainly not a ban.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
VanMardigan said:
You shouldn't even have to explain. The Obamites make plenty of bold statements and I don't see ban threats like you just got and branduil got. What the hell?

edit:
Why not put a tag on Mcmass or whatever his name is stating that if Biden doesn't "destroy" Palin, then call bishop?

:lol at ban threats.

King_Slender said:
Palin doesn't cry and I get mod powers? Put up or move along.

Okay, now this deserves a ban threat.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
maximum360 said:

This is a good article. To point out the best parts.....

It’s easy to see where this movie is going. It begins, of course, with a cute, cool unknown from Alaska who has never even been on “Meet the Press” triumphing over a cute, cool unknowable from Hawaii who has been on “Meet the Press” a lot.

Instead, they embrace 72-year-old John McCain and 44-year-old Sarah Palin, whose average age is 58, a mere two years older than the average age of the Obama-Biden ticket. Enthusiastic Republicans don’t see the choice of Palin as affirmative action, despite her thin résumé and gaping absence of foreign policy knowledge, because they expect Republicans to put an underqualified “babe,” as Rush Limbaugh calls her, on the ticket.

The legacy of Geraldine Ferraro was supposed to be that no one would ever go on a blind date with history again. But that crazy maverick and gambler McCain does i
t,

(Why do men only pick women as running mates when they need a Hail Mary pass? It’s a little insulting.)
Sarah is a zealot, but she’s a fun zealot. She has a beehive and sexy shoes, and the day she’s named she goes shopping with McCain in Ohio for a cheerleader outfit for her daughter.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
bishoptl said:
Who's threatening to ban him? I just said I'd hold him to his statement. Nothing he's said warrants a ban - wry chuckles, outright laughter at times, but certainly not a ban.

What's your currency bish? Wry chuckles? Yeah, I'm sure that's what we all were thinking. And like I said, ami threatened someone before on something just as stupid, and he certainly meant ban, so it's frustrating.

GhaleonEB

ryutaro's mama said:
:lol :lol :lol @ 10-13% pulled outta my ass percentages.
The historical data make's McCain's pre-convention spin that much funnier.

We believe Obama will see a significant bump, and believe it is reasonable to expect nearly a 15-point bounce out of a convention in this political environment.

And that's with them knowing they would do the veep announcement right after it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/22/mccain-camp-obama-will-ge_n_120678.html

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Hey do you guys remember a poster who had an avatar with Bush pointing into the distance, but the photograph was from a low angle so the illusion was that he was pointing at a ball of light (the sun)? The caption read "you make me smile, so I'll kill you last tinkerbell", I'm trying to find that avatar everywhere but can't! :(

thekad

Banned
Republicans don't play the victim - > Palin won't yell, "sexism" like Hillary - > Palin won't cry - > McPalin won't take their ball and go home. Can I has mod powerz now?

Tamanon

Banned
VanMardigan said:
What's your currency bish? Wry chuckles? Yeah, I'm sure that's what we all were thinking. And like I said, ami threatened someone before on something just as stupid, and he certainly meant ban, so it's frustrating.

VanMardigan
has calmed down a bit.

TAG LYING!

Tamanon

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
Hey do you guys remember a poster who had an avatar with Bush pointing into the distance, but the photograph was from a low angle so the illusion was that he was pointing at a ball of light (the sun)? The caption read "you make me smile, so I'll kill you last tinkerbell", I'm trying to find that avatar everywhere but can't! :(

http://p-userpic.livejournal.com/72528143/4093474

I found it through this strange google search for Bush Tinkerbell :p

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Would there be any political benefit to the RNC happening a week or two later? I noticed that the dems (and I think the Republicans?) pushed their conventions back, but I don't know if it's because it's better to have it later. And if so, how long before we have conventions the week of the elections? /sarcasmbutnotreally

reilo

VanMardigan said:
Would there be any political benefit to the RNC happening a week or two later? I noticed that the dems (and I think the Republicans?) pushed their conventions back, but I don't know if it's because it's better to have it later. And if so, how long before we have conventions the week of the elections? /sarcasmbutnotreally

For the purposes of getting McCain's name and Palin's name on the ballot, the convention must take place this week; lots of ballot deadlines hit very soon.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/08/30/1313158.aspx

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
All right, could they put the names on the ballot and then make the RNC just a formality/celebratory thing (which I thought it was anyway)?

Obama on Biden and Palin -- 60 Minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWH5Sq4Nd3c

He makes great points about what is needed in a VP and doesn't come out and slam Palin, but the implication is clear. How is Palin going to advise and be of help to McCain in that position? From what I've seen, she has expressed no opinion on most of the important issues of the day, and the ones she has voiced are to the right of McCain. What advice does she have to offer?

VanMardigan said:

Not really it would give Obama that much more of a head start. It would give the signal that the GOP is unorganized. If one could feel sorry for the GOP this would be one of those situations. If they continue on with party business then the rest of the world says they still haven't learned from Katrina. If they postpone then politically they are that even more behind the Dems.

Tamanon

Banned
VanMardigan said:
All right, could they put the names on the ballot and then make the RNC just a formality/celebratory thing (which I thought it was anyway)?

They still have to find some way to get the delegates to vote. If they cancel the convention itself, they'll do it by mail or teleconference. Or just cancel much of the spectacle side of things. I don't see any changes happening though outside of the President/Vice President possibly not speaking.

mckmas8808

Deus Ex Machina said:

He makes great points about what is needed in a VP and doesn't come out and slam Palin, but the implication is clear. How is Palin going to advise and be of help to McCain in that position? From what I've seen, she has expressed no opinion on most of the important issues of the day, and the ones she has voiced are to the right of McCain. What advice does she have to offer?

And compare that to Obama who articulated his thoughts and beliefs on Iraq in 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhpKmQCCwB8

He explains why he was against us going to war before we even went. Does Palin have this level of knowledge that Obama had 6 years ago?

harSon

Banned
Haven't been able to post for a while but I just wanted to say that Mccain just might be the biggest opportunist currently active in politics. It's absurd what he's willing to toss aside to win the presidency.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Well, what I was thinking is get the delegate votes out the way this week, do some sort of Gustav-related gathering (like that telethon thing reilo's link talked about), and then do the festivities part (with all the speakers and confetti etc.) a week or two from now.

Not really it would give Obama that much more of a head start.

If that's the case, why did the Dems push their convention back and right before the Republican one? They could've had the convention weeks ago (pre-Olympics?)

Does Palin have this level of knowledge that Obama had 6 years ago?

No, but she's going through a crash course on this now, I'm sure. If this ticket makes it to the White House, she'll eventually learn everything she needs to learn. Obama has learned a ton since he started running, and the closer he got to the Dem nomination, the more he had to pick up. His background isn't economics or healthcare, but he's now considered an expert on these things. Half of this stuff is who you surround yourself with in terms of advisers. I'm sure Palin will now be surrounded by top-level GOP advisers and will have at least decent knowledge of all the major issues by the time the debates come around. Unless she's a total idiot, and I don't think she is.

Tamanon

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:

The whole way Obama has framed the vice presidential choice has made Palin less palatable, even before she was picked. Basically he's framed it that Biden is his partner in government, not an underling, not somebody who has no input or impact on government.

mckmas8808

VanMardigan said:
Well, what I was thinking is get the delegate votes out the way this week, do some sort of Gustav-related gathering (like that telethon thing reilo's link talked about), and then do the festivities part (with all the speakers and confetti etc.) a week or two from now.

That would cost way too much money. It's not really possible.

AniHawk

Tamanon said:
The whole way Obama has framed the vice presidential choice has made Palin less palatable, even before she was picked. Basically he's framed it that Biden is his partner in government, not an underling, not somebody who has no input or impact on government.

Agreed. Someone here said that Obama/Biden is more like a team. And it really feels like that (more than Clinton/Gore). So McCain/Palin looks like a really bad team.

GhaleonEB

AniHawk said:
Agreed. Someone here said that Obama/Biden is more like a team. And it really feels like that (more than Clinton/Gore). So McCain/Palin looks like a really bad team.
I can't remember who it was, but someone here said Obama picked someone to help him govern, while McCain picked someone to help him get elected. I thought that really nailed the essence of their respective decision making processes.

The Gustav thing really is unfair to the GOP. Katrina was a failing of the Bush government's organization, not its policies, and there's no reason to think McCain would have the same problem.

I'm firmly anti-McCain, but I really hope this isn't somehting used against him, if only because I like truth and reason more than the "anything to win" mode this election has been in.

Arde5643

Ignatz Mouse said:
The Gustav thing really is unfair to the GOP. Katrina was a failing of the Bush government's organization, not its policies, and there's no reason to think McCain would have the same problem.

I'm firmly anti-McCain, but I really hope this isn't somehting used against him, if only because I like truth and reason more than the "anything to win" mode this election has been in.
At this point, I think it's more of karma that the GOP has accumulated all this time.

reilo

If Palin is getting a "crash course on issues" right now from the McCain camp, doesn't that just make her a puppet being strung along by McCain? Where is the independence?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I know this may sound cynical and a long shot, but what if President Bush (now that he is making one final push to get Bin-Laden) has a press conference on October 20th and announces: "Osama Bin Laden has been captured/killed"?

this is a question someone asked me yesterday which I had no answer to.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
GhaleonEB said:
I can't remember who it was, but someone here said Obama picked someone to help him govern, while McCain picked someone to help him get elected. I thought that really nailed the essence of their respective decision making processes.

:D

Agent Icebeezy said:
Obama picked someone that would make him a better president
McCain picked someone that would make him a better candidate

Ignatz Mouse said:

Because obviously McCain is above using politics to determine who should serve in really important positions in government.

AniHawk

UltimaKilo said:
I know this may sound cynical and a long shot, but what if President Bush (now that he is making one final push to get Bin-Laden) has a press conference on October 20th and announces: "Osama Bin Laden has been captured/killed"?

People thought this would happen in 2004.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom