• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

RubxQub said:
I fucking hate this pregnancy shit. To me, this is a big issue if it is true, despite all the blowhards in this thread saying people are scumbags for putting any stock into this story.

Well guess what, if it's true, it completely destroys her credibility with all these pro-lifers that are praising Palin's heroic choice to live her beliefs, and not terminate the child. This is a big deal, despite what you think.

Obama's Muslim thing was complete bullshit, and there was all the evidence in the world to prove that it was bullshit the moment it came up.

Until this is proven bullshit, then it's something that needs to be investigated in order to have the truth come out.

I'm not going to constantly be bringing up this pregnancy thing as we've all agreed to stop the speculation, but I'm a bit pissed that people in this thread are getting all high and mighty like this is something that should just be completely ignored.

I agree that she has plenty of other things to worry about, namely how she takes the experience argument off the table and her potential abuse of power investigation, but this pregnancy thing would be a big deal among the voters who care the most: the pro-lifers and the Christians.

More like been asked by a mod to stop the discussion

AniHawk

gkrykewy said:

Not sure what the evangelical base is like in CO, but it's been polling relatively blue for a while now. Better than OH at any rate. It just might be the state that gives Obama the White House.

There's also Florida, which could go blue too. For some reason, I have a hard time believing Virginia will vote for a Democratic president before Florida.

RubxQub said:
I fucking hate this pregnancy shit. To me, this is a big issue if it is true, despite all the blowhards in this thread saying people are scumbags for putting any stock into this story.

Well guess what, if it's true, it completely destroys her credibility with all these pro-lifers that are praising Palin's heroic choice to live her beliefs, and not terminate the child. This is a big deal, despite what you think.

Obama's Muslim thing was complete bullshit, and there was all the evidence in the world to prove that it was bullshit the moment it came up.

Until this is proven bullshit, then it's something that needs to be investigated in order to have the truth come out.

I'm not going to constantly be bringing up this pregnancy thing as we've all agreed to stop the speculation, but I'm a bit pissed that people in this thread are getting all high and mighty like this is something that should just be completely ignored.

I agree that she has plenty of other things to worry about, namely how she takes the experience argument off the table and her potential abuse of power investigation, but this pregnancy thing would be a big deal among the voters who care the most: the pro-lifers and the Christians.
I think the argument against it is just to let it go for now, until something comes from it. It does kind of border on character assassination when people are running with it under the preface that "IF it's true...", which is kind of unfair. So, fine, if anything comes from it, the story will play. I'm sure some will continue to investigate it. But in the meantime, it's kind of juvenile to speculate on the implications of this story should it turn out to be true.

gkryhewy

AniHawk said:
Not sure what the evangelical base is like in CO, but it's been polling relatively blue for a while now. Better than OH at any rate. It just might be the state that gives Obama the White House.

And I suppose the Denver convention should help. Thanks.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Gaborn said:
I agree with the notion that there is no point in us discussing it in this thread, so I agree with that request (command?) from the mods.

What I don't agree with is the argument that this is sleazy politics and has no barring on the discussion at all if proven true.

I'll leave it there, next subject!

Diablos

Oh wow, I also love how on Meet the Press they went on and on about how Palin will talk about a sound energy policy that is not considered the norm within the Republican party, but failed to mention that it's the same kind of thing that she praised Obama for making a part of his campaign.

The Democrats can't sit on the sidelines if this woman is energizing the evangelical base and the press isn't 100% doing what Obama is hoping they'll do. It's too risky. See: 2004, and even 2000.

AniHawk

Diablos said:
Oh wow, I also love how on Meet the Press they went on and on about how Palin will talk about a sound energy policy that is not considered the norm within the Republican party, but failed to mention that it's the same kind of thing that she praised Obama for making a part of his campaign.

The Democrats can't sit on the sidelines if this woman is energizing the evangelical base and the press isn't 100% doing what Obama is hoping they'll do. It's too risky. See: 2004, and even 2000.

Obama's big secret weapon is his ground game. He's already gotten hundreds of thousands of people to register in key states with two months to go.

PS2 KID

RubxQub said:
I agree with the notion that there is no point in us discussing it in this thread, so I agree with that request (command?) from the mods.

What I don't agree with is the argument that this is sleazy politics and has no barring on the discussion at all if proven true.

I'll leave it there, next subject!

If you visit some blog and there's a rumor without proof do you automatically subscribe to it? Bring the proof or it's just dirty politics. Bring it or Zip it.

Diablos said:
The Democrats are fine for now. Wait until at least after the RNC before getting too aggressive against Palin. What, do you want them to look like bullies who are terrified of poor, little Sarah Palin?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
PS2 KID said:
If you visit some blog and there's a rumor without proof do you automatically subscribe to it? Bring the proof or it's just dirty politics. Bring it or Zip it.
...not going to respond, but just know that I disagree with you strongly, and don't appreciate being belittled to a rumor monger.

Fucking move on, I just said I did.

Diablos

Steve Youngblood said:
The Democrats are fine for now. Wait until at least after the RNC before getting too aggressive against Palin. What, do you want them to look like bullies who are terrified of poor, little Sarah Palin?
Nah. I'm just concerned that Obama will continue to stay too nice, since he DID put a lot of emphasis on taking the high road. I don't necessarily expect him to go negative right now but I sure hope he isn't planning on going easy on her for as long as possible. Let the RNC have its way, pay close attention to the bounce and most importantly the fine details associated with it, and have something powerful to say -- not just a rehash of "Sarah Palin is breaking barriers but does not represent the change that we need."

Door2Dawn

Banned
Diablos said:
Nah. I'm just concerned that Obama will continue to stay too nice, since he DID put a lot of emphasis on taking the high road. I don't necessarily expect him to go negative right now but I sure hope he isn't planning on going easy on her for as long as possible. Let the RNC have its way, pay close attention to the bounce and most importantly the fine details associated with it, and have something powerful to say -- not just a rehash of "Sarah Palin is breaking barriers but does not represent the change that we need."
fd99tw.gif

PS2 KID

AniHawk said:
Obama's big secret weapon is his ground game. He's already gotten hundreds of thousands of people to register in key states with two months to go.

Exactly. They just need to follow through with their own game plan rather about worrying about what the other team is doing. If they follow their game plan then victory by getting their constituency out to vote en masse.

Steve Youngblood said:

I think it's the wrong tactic to sit on their heels and wait for the RNC. They should dig up every last bit of dirt on the woman and make her out to be the imcompetent and ill prepared VP she will be if McCain is elected. Fan the fears about McCain croaking and her taking over if they were ever elected. Be fair but above all be downright ruthless and make her toast. We didn't lay off Hillary just cause she's a woman, why should we lay off little Sarah? ;) You can't leave it up to chance (or Florida. :lol ) this election. Wouldn't want 4 more years of a republican presidency would we?

Door2Dawn

Banned
PS2 KID said:
Exactly. They just need to follow through with their own game plan rather about worrying about what the other team is doing. If they follow their game plan then victory by getting their constituency out to vote en masse.

I think it's the wrong tactic to sit on their heels and wait for the RNC. They should dig up every last bit of dirt on the woman and make her out to be the imcompetent and ill prepared VP she will be if McCain is elected. Fan the fears about McCain croaking and her taking over if they were ever elected. Be fair but above all be downright ruthless and make her toast. We didn't lay off Hillary just cause she's a woman, why should we lay off little Sarah? ;) You can't leave it up to chance (or Florida. :lol ) this election. Wouldn't want 4 more years of a republican presidency would we?
You guys always pick on my state on the forum. :(

Gaborn

TDG said:
Everyone seems a bit edgy.

Fear on both sides, I don't think either side really knows how Palin is going to affect the race yet but she has a chance to really help McCain or totally destroy his chances, and probably not as big a neutral ground as other choices.

Pimpwerx

Door2Dawn said:
You guys always pick on my state on the forum. :(
We are an awful state. At least, everything outside the Dade/Broward/PalmBeach area. ;) From like Port St. Lucie north, it can be some of the worst parts of the south. PEACE.

Deku

Banned
Brett Hume and Bill Kristol said on FOX Sunday that Palin pick took a lot of momentum out of the Obama's thursday speech and shows McCain is a true Maverick.

What now! We are doomed!

Deus Ex Machina said:
If Palin is covering up her daughter's pregnancy I have no problem with that

It happens all the time, and its a very admirable thing for a mother to do for ehr daughter. I say we should leave this thing alone and attack her for her wacko religious/poltical views and her lie about teh Bridge to Nowhere.

What's alleged against her regarding the baby is (at worst) nothing more than a family sticking together. And there's nothing wrong with that.

If we persist in this "scandal," we are going to create so much sympathy for her that we won't be able to attack her on legitimate issues.

Wait are you serious?
Did I get sucked into a worm hole and end up in 1952 again?

Deku said:
Brett Hume and Bill Kristol said on FOX Sunday that Palin pick took a lot of momentum out of the Obama's thursday speech and shows McCain is a true Maverick.

What now! We are doomed!

Now this is the same bill Kristol that urged President Clinton to invade Iraq, right? RIGHT!?

I do hate stupid.

Sarah Palin is useful to Democrats for one thing and one thing only: to highlight and criticize McCain's judgement.

Her name should not be brought up by Obama or Biden. Keep her a mystery (Who is this person, etc...) while hammering McCain's foolish and cynical judgement.

Deku

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Now this is the same bill Kristol that urged President Clinton to invade Iraq, right? RIGHT!?

I do hate stupid.

Imagine yourself being a soft Republican or an Independent watching this.

Won't this self congratulating fantasy affect said person's vote?

Incognito said:
Sarah Palin is useful to Democrats for one thing and one thing only: to highlight and criticize McCain's judgement.

Her name should not be brought up by Obama or Biden. Keep her a mystery (Who is this person, etc...) while hammering McCain's foolish and cynical judgement.

I like this idea. Let Obama keep his hands clean and let Hillary loose. That would be interesting

starblade

Pimpwerx said:
We are an awful state. At least, everything outside the Dade/Broward/PalmBeach area. ;) From like Port St. Lucie north, it can be some of the worst parts of the south. PEACE.

Wait, don't you lump Tampa Bay up with the rest of the state. We have one of the more energetic liberal bases in the state (despite governor Charlie Crist hailing from here) and it's parts like Dade/Broward/Palm Beach that fanned the damn fiasco that happened in 2000. I'm actually alot more worried from the mercurial and inconsistent voters from that end.

Gruco

Banned
Slurpy said:
Damn, Kerry is pretty fucking good. Makes the case really well. I don't remember him being this good during his run for Presidency.
He's probably more loose now that he doesn't have the same level of handling and national sensitivity. Plus, I imagine he learned a lot through the experience.

John Kerry is awesome. He would have made a great president even if he was a painful candidate. But more importantly the man has stayed front and center and continued fighting for the party after his loss. <3 JK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom