• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebs

Agent Icebeezy said:
This is with the Palin pick?
Two out of the three days are post palin. Tommorow will be the first pure-post palin poll. I suspect Obama will go down a little more since the covention will be officially gone from polling and be up 3-4 going in the GOP one.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Good grief, this thread is a mine field.

Anyway, I have a bet with a friend and I need to put down my prediction somewhere in writing, so this is as good a place as any.

McCain's gonna win.

Note - this does not necessarily indicate the candidate I prefer. There's still a lot of campaigning to go. I just calls 'em as I sees 'em.

2811837282_039f668192.jpg

Rentahamster said:

Anyway, I have a bet with a friend and I need to put down my prediction somewhere in writing, so this is as good a place as any.

McCain's gonna win.

Note - this does not necessarily indicate the candidate I prefer. There's still a lot of campaigning to go. I just calls 'em as I sees 'em.

May I suggest updating your eyewear prescription? You don't sees too gud.

Trakdown

soul creator said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/31/us/politics/31reconstruct.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Just to add some print face to it. And yeah, Kerry's been great ever since he got rid of the playbook they anchored him with in 04.

McCain's basically whatever the party line tells him to be because that's the only way he keeps his job. The funny thing is, he's got a 40% approval rating in AZ right now (haven't checked the post-Palin numbers though). So, if he doesn't become President, he might be in a bad way when it comes to his current job.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Freedom = $1.05 said:
May I suggest updating your eyewear prescription? You don't sees too gud.
You know, part of me doesn't even believe it myself. After analysis, though, I have to call it that way. Just the way it is.

Rentahamster said:

McCain's gonna win.

You should totally put your money where your mouth is and go buy as many McCain shares as you can at Intrade or the IEM. You'll make good cash if McCain really wins.

GhaleonEB said:
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/211769.php

Best summary of the troopergate thingy I've read.

Just yesterday, Monegan gave an interview to the Washington Post in which he said that not only Palin's aides, but Palin's husband and Palin herself had repeatedly raised the Wooten issue with him and pressured him to fire him. And now he says he has emails that Palin sent him about the matter. (In an interesting sidelight, that may end up telling us a lot, Monegan says no one from the McCain campaign ever contacted him in the vetting process.)

phone convo
http://www.adn.com/front/story/510080.html

Gruco

Banned
Good god, this Palin thing has driven the RNC spambots haywire.

Why Palin is more qualified than Obama:
Unlike Obama she is the Commander of Alaska National Guard.

Unlike Obama as Governor she oversees an actual border with Russia.

Unlike Obama, she actually has troops under her Command fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Gruco

Banned
XxenobladerxX said:
Is this true?
Well, from what I can gather, the logic is something like this:

Sarah Palin is the governor of Alaska.
Alaska has national guard troops.
These national guard troops fight in Iraq.
Therefore, Sarah Palin is a commander over troops in Iraq.

Cheebs said:
She is a governer so yes. But she has stated she doesnt pay attention to what happens in Iraq. I doubt she knows what a Shia or Sunni are.
Well, McCain is very experienced, after all. That's why he doesn't need a capable VP. I'm sure that he can explain to Sarah what the difference between Sunni and....

shit

Trakdown

Gruco said:
Good god, this Palin thing has driven the RNC spambots haywire.

Why Palin is more qualified than Obama:

And those pathetic points will be eradicated once Clark joins the Obama team. The Repubs have not yet begun to pale in (heh, palin) comparison.

edit: Besides, this doesn't fill a need. You've already got your military notes with McCain.

Cheebs

Kolgar said:
Sarah Barracuda hasn't yet begun to bite.
She can't bite anyone. She is vastly less qualified than Biden her opponent in this. It'd be like a college intern attacking the president of a company claiming she knows better.

Kolgar

Cheebs said:
She can't bite anyone. She is vastly less qualified than Biden her opponent in this. It'd be like a college intern attacking the president of a company claiming she knows better.

Heh, you just watch. This race may just be more about psychology and marketing than what we're used to. The issues are always important, but this race is a lot about personality, too.

If Palin handles herself right, she may just make people fall in love. :p

Cheebs

Kolgar said:
Heh, you just watch. This race may just be more about psychology and marketing than what we're used to. The issues are always important, but this race is a lot about personality, too.

If it is about personality then Obama wins. Obama is the most charismatic nominee of any party in decades, and most from both parties would agree with this fact.

gkryhewy

Kolgar said:

Just waiting to see what everyone has to say! Sarah Barracuda! Yippee!!

Looks like someone's already fallen.

Haunted

Kolgar said:

Man, I hope people are be able to look beyond the superficial reasons and elect their fucking president based on substance, not style. :(

v1cious

Banned
Kolgar said:

except the only people she's energized are the GOP. she may likable, but she's still a female John Mccain.

Cheebs said:
If it is about personality then Obama wins. Obama is the most charismatic nominee of any party in decades, and most from both parties would agree with this fact.

Yeah, but he's black. Therefore, having a good personality means that he is using his charm to either enslave the white race, hide his secret Muslim religion, or conceal the fact that he is Anti-Christ.

Kolgar

Cheebs said:

He sure is, and yet, the numbers have been closer than most of us expected.

Palin's a dark horse, and it's been said before - she'll either make it or break it for the underdog McCain.

Haunted said:
Man, I hope people are be able to look beyond the superficial reasons and elect their fucking president based on substance, not style. :(

See, that's the thing about Democracies. They let pretty damn near anyone vote! :p

gkrykewy said:
Looks like someone's already fallen.

What can I say, I have a fetish for fetishy hot librarians.

Frank the Great said:
Yeah, but he's black. Therefore, having a good personality means that he is using his charm to either enslave the white race, hide his secret Muslim religion, or conceal the fact that he is Anti-Christ.
Or doing all three at the same time.

Kolgar said:

I'm really not seeing it here. The people that are actually impressed by McCain (And I'm not talking about all Republicans here) are dolts but even they can learn things. What they've been conditioned to know is that experience is the most important issue (Because that's basically the only thing McCain has had to offer on a consistent basis) and now he has undermined even that.

They didn't just shoot themselves in the foot here; they blew it off.

Was this already posted? From an Alaskan blogger:

Well, this Alaskan is sitting here in disbelief. This is a total gift to the Obama - Biden ticket. As the nation scrambles to figure out who Sarah Palin IS, the thinking people of Alaska are simply mystified. I’ll be posting about this a lot later in the day after I’m awake, (it’s early a.m. here in Alaska) but first impressions:

This woman is going to be a heartbeat away from the Presidency? 2 years ago she was mayor of Wasilla, Alaska. For those of you out of state, this is as small, and backwoods as it sounds. A dark horse candidate for governor, she was elected on the ‘anybody but Frank Murkowski’ ticket. Our previous governor went down hard in his primary bid for reelection, because basically he was the worst governor, ever. People questioned whether Sarah Palin was actually qualified to be governor of a state that has 1/2 a million people in it.

http://mudflats.wordpress.com/2008/08/29/sarah-palin-mccains-next-trophy-girl/

Also according to DailyKOS there is mounting speculation that Palin's newborn baby is in fact not hers but her daughter's and it's all a big cover-up. That would be pretty awesome (for Obama) if true.

Haunted

Kolgar said:
See, that's the thing about Democracies. They let pretty damn near anyone vote! :p
Yes.

And that's why everyone needs to do its best to inform people of the important issues and the candidate's stances on them (the substance, so to speak). So the people can make an informed decision who to vote for.

You're acting is it if were a god thing when uninformed people vote style over substance. >_<

Cloudy

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

Also according to DailyKOS there is mounting speculation that Palin's newborn baby is in fact not hers but her daughter's and it's all a big cover-up. That would be pretty awesome (for Obama) if true.

I'm not Republican or anything but vicious rumors like that shouldn't be spread with no legit sources. There is no way that's true :lol

Zabka

I've heard more talk about McCain's age and health in the past 2 days from major media outlets than I have in the past 3 months. What was once a near-taboo subject has become a serious issue.

The longer this goes on the worse this looks. She'd better have one hell of a speech at the convention.

ronito

Palin is a republican through and through

http://cliffschecter.firedoglake.co...-employees-for-not-supporting-her-reelection/
Wasilla Mayor Sarah Palin fired the city's police chief and the library director without warning Thursday, accusing them of not fully supporting her efforts to govern. Irl Stambaugh and Mary Ellen Emmons said letters signed by Palin were dropped on their desks Thursday afternoon telling them their jobs were over as of Feb. 13 and that they no longer needed to report to work.

The evangelicals are drooling somewhere.

gkryhewy

Kolgar said:
He sure is, and yet, the numbers have been closer than most of us expected.

Palin's a dark horse, and it's been said before - she'll either make it or break it for the underdog McCain.

McCain points +150! Almost enough for a free home enema kit (or "just set in his ways" armor pack)!

Imm0rt4l

Gary Whitta said:

we're not going to get on that whole bristol baby conspiracy thing. If it's true, then someone is going to find out, so lets just wait for a reputable source.

Cheebs

Kolgar said:
What can I say, I have a fetish for fetishy hot librarians.
Librarians tend to be smart, Palin has fallen pretty far from the tree (I know more about Iraq year-old than she does and I am a 22 college student!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom