• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
They are taking advantage, but if they're talking about Gustav, they won't be making speeches and talking about Obama.

nyong

Banned
Does it amaze anyone else how close the popular vote is split year to year? Like what are the odds of the country being split literally down the middle? I'd think that it would lean fairly decisively one way or another.

There's probably some concept I need to apply here that causes this 50/50 split, but it's curious to me nevertheless.

Gaborn

If they continued on with their convention as normal they'd be criticized for ignoring all the suffering caused by Gustav. They made a political decision, but it also happened to be a humanitarian decision. What would you have rather seen them do?

BTW, anyone know where I can find some outdoors/weatherproof Obama/Biden signs for my lawn?

Can't seem to find them on the official website. They only have a weatherproofed Obama sign.

reilo said:
They are taking advantage, but if they're talking about Gustav, they won't be making speeches and talking about Obama.

But it will get McCain brownie points with voters.

"While the Dems were partying last week, WE were more concerned with Gustav and helping the needy.Thanks in advance for your support and vote."

reilo

ryutaro's mama said:
But it will get McCain brownie points with voters.

"While the Dems were partying last week, WE were more concerned with Gustav and helping the needy.Thanks in advance for your support and vote."

Do they really want to go that path and then be reminded of Katrina?

McCain-Bush%20photo.jpg

I wonder how much that cake cost.

Because if you are going to be the head of a country and not be there when part of it is in need in order to celebrate the birthday of a fellow countryman, it better be a damn good cake.

GhaleonEB

ryutaro's mama said:
McCain would be able to show that, "See, I'm more interested in helping.I'm not Bush,see?SEE?"

Some will buy it.

Unfortunately.
That would be more effective if he weren't right next to Bush in that picture.

Dax01 said:
I wonder how much that cake cost.

Because if you are going to be the head of a country and not be there when part of it is in need in order to celebrate the birthday of a fellow countryman, it better be a damn good cake.

It's a lie though.

Man, watching Pawlenty parrot the talking points and swallowing uncomfortably on Meet The Press shows just how calamitously fucked the GOP is. I think he answered like one question the whole time.

Went with the telethon eh...still think postponing the RNC would have been the best route. Really a no-win though.

Obama can counter everything they potentially gain here by making the same moves, and they have to walk the exploitation/humanitarian tightrope.

echoshifting said:
Went with the telethon eh...still think postponing the RNC would have been the best route. Really a no-win though.

Obama can counter everything they potentially gain here by making the same moves, and they have to walk the exploitation/humanitarian tightrope.

I can see it now. Some Republican will be on TV saying how the Dems are just copying the GOP and raising money for the hurricane victims, trying to gain political points. Irony and hilarious will ensue.

rSpooky

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I can see it now. Some Republican will be on TV saying how the Dems are just copying the GOP and raising money for the hurricane victims, trying to gain political points. Irony and hilarious will ensue.

If they mean what they say , they should (publicly) invite Obama and Biden to give speeches for the telethon
:D

Jason's Ultimatum said:

What's really terrible is that someone, somewhere is going to look at the donation numbers and it's going to turn into an Apprentice episode.

reilo

I love how Kerry did not allow that hack Stephonopolus to get a word in.

If they go along and have a conventional convention they risk criticism and claims they don't care about the storm victims. If they try to have a convention while also attempting to bring in donations for the victims they risk criticism of being called opportunistic. It's a lose lose situation but I'd rather be criticized while helping the victims

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Jason's Ultimatum said:

Not for nothing, I hope Gustav hits weaker than expected and makes this all a non-issue.

reilo

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=5694357

George Will: "I think the republicans are more united now with the Palin pick than the DNC after their convention by the disinfection by some of the core Clinton constituency... Second, he raises the questions of qualifications. There is more to the qualifications of high executive office than experience. There is the qualification of understanding the constitutional principles of limited government and the culture of corruption that inevitably develops and abandons limited government... and she understands that."

Where the fuck do they find these people? THERE IS MORE TO THE QUALIFICATIONS OF HIGH EXECUTIVE OFFICE THAN EXPERIENCE?! That's not what he was fucking saying FIVE DAYS AGO!!!!!!!

Macam

Banned
reilo said:

George Will: "I think the republicans are more united now with the Palin pick than the DNC after their convention by the disinfection by some of the core Clinton constituency... Second, he raises the questions of qualifications. There is more to the qualifications of high executive office than experience."

Where the fuck do they find these people? THERE IS MORE TO THE QUALIFICATIONS OF HIGH EXECUTIVE OFFICE THAN EXPERIENCE?! That's not what he was fucking saying FIVE DAYS AGO!!!!!!!

It's George Will. Relax.

Zabka

We'll see how much coverage any of this will actually get. The cable channels were all too eager to cut away and blather on about the speeches while people were still speaking. For Christ's sake, Olbermann was reading Obama's speech on-air before he gave it.

They'll have to walk a fine line between hitting their now dwindling talking points, attacking democrats and begging for hurricane relief money without politicizing it. I just don't think they can juggle those three things without someone going overboard. That's not even mentioning the expected Katrina callbacks the media will be hitting all week.

reilo

Cokie Roberts: "Hillary blue collar voters in Pennsylvania and Ohio were pro-gun and pro-life. The bitter people."

Whaaaaat

methane47 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mc943ltXMQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Y8FKAsxmk

Video of Palin in March 08 talking about hillary whining and alaska corruption (and suprised why gas is so expensive) (one month before the birth of her latest child)...
She looks pretty good for 8 months pregnant... Especially being able to cross her legs and hunch forward like that...

interesting

I'm pretty sure this whole ridiculous line of thought has been banned from the thread. And even if it hasn't it's obnoxious at this point.

Zeliard

reilo said:

George Will: "I think the republicans are more united now with the Palin pick than the DNC after their convention by the disinfection by some of the core Clinton constituency... Second, he raises the questions of qualifications. There is more to the qualifications of high executive office than experience. There is the qualification of understanding the constitutional principles of limited government and the culture of corruption that inevitably develops and abandons limited government... and she understands that."

:lol

The Palin choice has literally forced the right to abandon their #1 and virtually sole "argument" against Obama.

GhaleonEB

reilo said:

If you have not given birth, you are not qualified to be vice president.

avaya

A disgusting reality of Gustav and probably Hanna is that the more destruction they cause, the more suffering and chaos reported by the media the further it will weaken the Republican ticket.

I know some people are thinking it. I hope no one even attempts to politicise the aftermath.

Cheebs

I wonder what the ratings will be like. While a call to action is honorable and needed in this situation it is well to put it bluntly boring compared to the drama and insanity leading into the dem convention. Viewers like drama and excitement. Telethons? Not so much. It will be interesting to compare the ratings.

GhaleonEB

Cheebs said:
I wonder what the ratings will be like. While a call to action is honorable and needed in this situation it is well to put it bluntly boring compared to the drama and insanity leading into the dem convention. Viewers like drama and excitement. Telethons? Not so much. It will be interesting to compare the ratings.
Between the Clinton drama (which, in hindsight, the dems played off of masterfully at the convention) and the build up to Obama (for a lot of people, this was the first time they would have seen a speech of his), it's going to be hard to top, in terms of anticipation or build up.

The cynical side of me thinks this is actually the result of the GOP realizing that their conference was going to be in competition with Gustav, so they decided to tie their convention to it in order to get more attention. Which is kind clever, yet sad.

echoshifting said:
I'm pretty sure this whole ridiculous line of thought has been banned from the thread. And even if it hasn't it's obnoxious at this point.
250px-ADHand.jpg

O Rly?

its rather ridiculous, yes. But this show is too awesome not to reference :lol

Well this is all pointless navel-gazing now but I don't think even a regular convention could've come close. So much drama as Ghaleon already mentioned, and McCain is already pretty well established in the minds of those who care, whereas Obama was something of a cypher to many of the curious.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
250px-ADHand.jpg

O Rly?

its rather ridiculous, yes. But this show is too awesome not to reference :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol

reilo said:

There was a time when I respected George Will. I can't believe he said this.

Deku

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
There was a time when I respected George Will. I can't believe he said this.

I thought George is Obama's friend and was one of the people who encouraged him to run. He's old school conservative not the neo-con religious fanatics who infected the Republican party.

ruh roh

palin may be a formidable opponent for biden after all. after watching meet the press it seems to me she has his number on his credit card legislation fuckups and his voting against an alaskan pipeline that happened to bring in a ton of revenue.

reilo

Deku said:
I thought George is Obama's friend and was one of the people who encouraged him to run. He's old school conservative not the neo-con religious fanatics who infected the Republican party.

Well, Sarah Palin is a religious fanatic that has infected the republican party.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Tyrone Slothrop said:
ruh roh

palin may be a formidable opponent for biden after all. after watching meet the press it seems to me she has his number on his credit card legislation fuckups and his voting against an alaskan pipeline that happened to bring in a ton of revenue.

She was on MTP? I haven't downloaded the podcast yet.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Tyrone Slothrop said:
ruh roh

oh noes!

Macam

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
She was on MTP? I haven't downloaded the podcast yet.

She wasn't; it was a clip from Maria Bartiromo's interview from last week. It's an opening, but one she's going to be hard pressed to take advantage of, let alone in person, by Biden who will know far more about the legislation and the economic ramifications than she will. An unchallenged clip is not much of anything. The Alaskan pipeline issue is a walk in the park since it ignores the larger issue of the energy policy and comes off as rather myopic. The promise of 5 million "green jobs", the talk about getting off oil as a national security issue, and her belief that global warming isn't at least in part man-made, will doom her more than Biden's oppposition.

And as I'm listening to George Will, I have to sort of take back a bit of my comments towards reilo. He just uttered a stunning piece of ignorance when he suggested that the Palin pick may have unified the party more than the Democrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom