• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hitokage said:
To be fair, we'd have been stuck with Lieberman.

He'd have declared himself Emperor by now.

izqhx5.jpg

Gaborn said:
Also, Democrats can probably thank Perot for helping Clinton get elected in '92.

This has been demonstrated to be untrue. He basically syphoned votes equally and made no difference in the electoral college.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Gaborn said:
Here's an article from the 2000 campaign on the subject.

I'll let you judge it for yourself, but to me he's understandably referring only to one segment of the Vietnamese population - his prison guards. Beyond that it's not fair to say he's particularly racist towards Vietnamese as a whole.
I've read that article before, and while that's all very nice, it still doesn't side-step the fact that he's using a racial slur that applies to all Vietnamese, not just the one's he's supposedly targeting. A small part of me wants to cut him some slack because of the atrocities he suffered, but still...
"I was referring to my prison guards," McCain said, "and I will continue to refer to them in language that might offend some people because of the beating and torture of my friends."

McCain made it clear that his anger extends only toward his captors. As a senator, he was one of the leaders of the postwar effort to normalize U.S. relations with Vietnam.

Campaign officials do not expect the controversy to hurt McCain, either in tomorrow's South Carolina primary or later in the campaign.

"If people understood the context, they wouldn't be upset," Mike Murphy, a senior adviser to the campaign, said last night.

But the racial slur used by the senator has a long, painful history that is felt by many Asian Americans.
"I hate most niggers. But not y'all niggers, because y'all good niggers. But not those niggers."

OuterWorldVoice said:
I fully support Nader's right to run, but I don't support his subsequent acting like a spoiled douchebag about it.

Yea, Nader has done a shitton for the peoples of this country. Don't blame him for the shitty ballots or the horribly corrupt recount.

He has been a whiner in recent years, yes. But one look at his body of work and you'll see why its so sad that he'll always be linked with Shitfest 2000.

AniHawk

bishoptl said:
I've read that article before, and while that's all very nice, it still doesn't side-step the fact that he's using a racial slur that applies to all Vietnamese, not just the one's he's supposedly targeting. A small part of me wants to cut him some slack because of the atrocities he suffered, but still...

"I hate most niggers. But not y'all niggers, because y'all good niggers. But not those niggers."
Yeah, I understand he went through hell, and he probably has the right to say something like that about the people who did that to him, but it says more to me if he's able to somehow rise above it.

Everything I've seen since Candidate McCain took over is that he hasn't been able to let it go.

Mahadev

Hitokage said:
All this talk about literacy tests and poll taxes misses the fucking point. If you have a problem with the people voting, then work to improve them, not exclude them.

Isn't it a vicious circle though? Idiots vote shitty goverments that waste money on wars instead of quality education (amongst other social services) thus creating a new generation of idiots that will vote future Bush-es. Plus there are many people that are borderline retarded. Should they vote?

Gaborn

bishoptl said:

I guess the difference is that he's actually worked extensively with the Vietnamese post-war and they didn't really have any reported problems with him during that. Actions speak louder than words, and context helps as well.

Stinkles

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Yea, Nader has done a shitton for the peoples of this country. Don't blame him for the shitty ballots or the horribly corrupt recount.

He has been a whiner in recent years, yes. But one look at his body of work and you'll see why its so sad that he'll always be linked with Shitfest 2000.

I agree absolutely - however his attitude since then about the election has been shitty.

laserbeam

Banned
Mahadev said:
Isn't it a vicious circle though? Idiots vote shitty goverments that waste money on wars instead of quality education (amongst other social services) thus creating a new generation of idiots that will vote future Bush-es. Plus there are many people that are borderline retarded. Should they vote?
Your basically saying because someone doesnt agree with you they are idiots and mentally challanged. Why dont you go move to Russia or another country where everyone is puppets to one man. That seems more to your ltaste

WOW, looks like her http://ontheissues.org page has been HUGELY updated but still lacks a TON of stances.

Here's the link & a few interesting tid-bits:

http://ontheissues.org/Sarah_Palin.htm

Windfall oil profits tax prevents investment. (She passed a bill FOR a windfall oil profits tax.)
Convinced McCain to drill offshore; not yet on drilling ANWR. (Um.....ok.)
Sue US government to stop listing polar bear as endangered. (?)

Fight "bridge to nowhere" and all earmarks. (Was for the bridge to nowhere until the federal government wanted the state to contribute more to build it.)

Maybe some Palin supporters could fill in the blanks on the "No issue stance yet recorded by OnTheIssues.org" issues.

Gaborn

Stoney Mason said:
Exit polls showed that Ross Perot drew 38% of his vote from Bush, and 38% of his vote from Clinton.

That doesn't seem to make sense to me, but I'll take your word for it.

Mahadev

laserbeam said:
Your basically saying because someone doesnt agree with you they are idiots and mentally challanged. Why dont you go move to Russia or another country where everyone is puppets to one man. That seems more to your ltaste

Is it a joke post because my sarcasm-o-meter is malfunctioning. You certainly can't be serious.

Stinkles

laserbeam said:

The illiterate and the poor have the most to gain from an honest and well-meaning government - however, they're also more easily manipulated by the opposite type of government.

There's the rub.

laserbeam

Banned
theviolenthero said:
WOW, looks like her http://ontheissues.org page has been HUGELY updated but still lacks a TON of stances.

Here's the link & a few interesting tid-bits:

http://ontheissues.org/Sarah_Palin.htm

Windfall oil profits tax prevents investment. (She passed a bill FOR a windfall oil profits tax.)
Convinced McCain to drill offshore; not yet on drilling ANWR. (Um.....ok.)
Sue US government to stop listing polar bear as endangered. (?)

Fight "bridge to nowhere" and all earmarks. (Was for the bridge to nowhere until the federal government wanted the state to contribute more to build it.)

Maybe some Palin supporters could fill in the blanks on the "No issue stance yet recorded by OnTheIssues.org" issues.

I read up on some stuff about her simply because I was curious and can give some details on her windfall tax thing. The Alaska Tax she pushed while 25% has alot of ways for companies to reduce that % by investing in infrastructure etc basically proving they are doing something with the money and not just lip service

Gaborn said:
That doesn't seem to make sense to me, but I'll take your word for it.

Perot hated Bush and wailed on him so much so a lot of "Democrats" at the time thought he was some form of economic guru and at least as capable as Clinton. He was also pro-choice. His platform was a mix of nationalism and protectionism which often appeals to both sides.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Since we're on the subject of third parties ruining a person's nom, who can we expect to be the 'big' 3rd party come November (& who will they take away from)?

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Because really, choosing to have no control over your future is better than having any chance at all.
That's pretty much how I see it, I do not care at this point. Once again I will not back a candidate I do not agree with.

Gaborn said:
I guess the difference is that he's actually worked extensively with the Vietnamese post-war and they didn't really have any reported problems with him during that. Actions speak louder than words, and context helps as well.

Yes; some of his best friends are gooks.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
^ it's not ok to say that

OuterWorldVoice said:
The illiterate and the poor have the most to gain from an honest and well-meaning government - however, they're also more easily manipulated by the opposite type of government.

There's the rub.

moreover, the opposite type of government has the most to lose by empowering them.

Gaborn

PantherLotus said:
^ it's not ok to say that

Probably not particularly smart to do it either. At least McCain contextualizes his comments.

SpeedingUpToStop - There's a decent chance Barr could get enough of a percentage of the vote in a few key states like Georgia and North Carolina to swing it more towards Obama since he's expected to hurt republicans more than Democrats and he's from Georgia.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Since we're on the subject of third parties ruining a person's nom, who can we expect to be the 'big' 3rd party come November (& who will they take away from)?

Nobody. Nobody cares about Barr and Nader and not enough to effect any state in a significant manner to tilt it most likely despite talk about Georgia.

Cheebs

Hitokage said:
To be fair, we'd have been stuck with Lieberman.
Joe was pretty sane back in 2000. It wasn't till Iraq when he lost his marbles and there would have been no Iraq War under Gore to be fair.

laserbeam

Banned
Cheebs said:
Joe was pretty sane back in 2000. It wasn't till Iraq when he lost his marbles and there would have been no Iraq War under Gore to be fair.
9/11 I think is what did it, It altered alot of peoples perspectives on the world at large.

Cheebs said:
Joe was pretty sane back in 2000.
True but he was spearheading anti-videogame efforts long before then, so who knows what damage he might have wreaked on the games industry during eight years as VP.

Gaborn

Price Dalton said:
I figured the context was pretty obvious. If not, I apologize.

McCain is pretty clearly referring to a specific group of Vietnamese, his captors, by a pejorative. Your comment referred to all Vietnamese. Still though, I don't honestly care about it.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Price Dalton said:
Yes; some of his best friends are gooks.
That's probably the best response to the defense that "he worked with the Vietnamese after the war and they didn't have any problems with him'. If McCain had been tortured by blacks and substituted the word "niggers" for gooks in his statement, he'd have been torn apart.

More power to you if you can rise above it, I guess.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
laserbeam said:

You were pretty moderate for a while, but your republican slant is starting to fully express itself.

No, all we want are people to be focused on the issues that affect them. To be able to see past with a bit of critical thinking and rationality, the bullshit that goes on in a political process... and in turn demand a higher quality from the overall political process. Instead of media talking heads that pander to the lowest common denominator, throwing mud and shit around... what about the process where the media discusses political positions and policies, because the population aren't mouth breathers and realise that this is ultimately what affects them most.

And it's frustrating to see the reds getting away with appealing to the lowest common denominator, while it's all too apparent the gulf of merit between the two tickets... it makes us want to pull the same shitty dirty tactics. But god bless Obama; the guy has repeatedly drawn the democratic party as a whole away from that bull shit... and when he wins the presidency, will be vindicated as someone of the highest order of integrity.

Gaborn said:
McCain is pretty clearly referring to a specific group of Vietnamese, his captors, by a pejorative. Your comment referred to all Vietnamese. Still though, I don't honestly care about it.

Oh, I don't doubt that. It's just that using a pejorative that historically generalizes is problematic - in any context (even when McCain used it).

But you're right... this is pretty damn off-topic. I think I'll just watch the last few minutes of "Point Break" instead.

Gaborn

bishoptl said:
That's probably the best response to the defense that "he worked with the Vietnamese after the war and they didn't have any problems with him'. If McCain had been tortured by blacks and substituted the word "niggers" for gooks in his statement, he'd have been torn apart.

More power to you if you can rise above it, I guess.

And by the same token if this was all about 30 years ago and he was a WW2 POW who was tortured by the Nazis and referred to his prison guards as "krauts" or some other pejorative there'd be even less of a flap than there is over his "gook" remarks.

Stinkles

Gaborn said:

He was using the same context as Bish did earlier. I got it. Anyway, let's get off the ethnic slur trail. My people have been oppressed, demeaned and insulted every Sunday on prime time TV on Fox since I moved to this country and where's the outcry for us? Where?

Nowhere.

laserbeam

Banned
Crayon Shinchan said:
You were pretty moderate for a while, but your republican slant is starting to fully express itself.

No, all we want are people to be focused on the issues that affect them. To be able to see past with a bit of critical thinking and rationality, the bullshit that goes on in a political process... and in turn demand a higher quality from the overall political process. Instead of media talking heads that pander to the lowest common denominator, throwing mud and shit around... what about the process where the media discusses political positions and policies, because the population aren't mouth breathers and realise that this is ultimately what affects them most.

And it's frustrating to see the reds getting away with appealing to the lowest common denominator, while it's all too apparent the gulf of merit between the two tickets... it makes us want to pull the same shitty dirty tactics. But god bless Obama; the guy has repeatedly drawn the democratic party as a whole away from that bull shit... and when he wins the presidency, will be vindicated as someone of the highest order of integrity.

Government regardless of which party or person in power is manipulating and exploiting people. Republicans and Democrats simply use different tactics to go after different crowds.

Mud throwing has been political practice since the Adams/Jefferson Election in 1800 and I doubt there is anyway to actually stop it. I would love to see clean let the issues speak for themselves Elections.

Cheebs

Gary Whitta said:
True but he was spearheading anti-videogame efforts long before then, so who knows what damage he might have wreaked on the games industry during eight years as VP.
The democratic party as a whole has been very adamant about govt. regulation on video game ratings and age restrictions. Joe may have been the figure head of that, but all the dems in the senate were on the same side of that issue.

HolyStar

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
He was using the same context as Bish did earlier. I got it. Anyway, let's get off the ethnic slur trail. My people have been oppressed, demeaned and insulted every Sunday on prime time TV on Fox since I moved to this country and where's the outcry for us? Where?

Nowhere.

Uhh guys lets not forget that Biden has made many racially unsensitive remarks.

OuterWorldVoice said:

Nowhere.

Out of curiosity, which group are you talking about?

Native Americans?

edit: nevermind - "since I moved to this country..."

I'm still curious though.

Trakdown

Cheebs said:
The democratic party as a whole has been very adamant about govt. regulation on video game ratings and age restrictions. Joe may have been the figure head of that, but all the dems in the senate were on the same side of that issue.

Hillary got on that boat as well. Granted, it's not headed anywhere, but she got on it.

Price Dalton said:
Out of curiosity, which group are you talking about?

Native Americans?

edit: nevermind - "since I moved to this country..."

I'm still curious though.

Sunday on prime time TV on Fox

I assume middle eastern..Sunday + FOX was the most obvious clue

outerworldvince=stinkles
stinkles=frank o'connor
frank o'connor = scottish
simpsons = fox prime time
simpsons = groundskeeper willy

edit: damnit, beaten

Status