• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obama to end tax benefits to firms that ship jobs overseas

http://www.ptinews.com/pti\ptisite.nsf/0/A4956F54BF43D8B4652574B6004DF668?OpenDocument
Washington, Aug 31 (PTI) Democratic Party's US presidential candidate Barack Obama has underlined his commitment to halt outsourcing of jobs overseas by ending tax breaks to companies that ship works to other countries, a policy that could adversely affect India.

In one of his first major campaign events in the aftermath of the Democratic Convention in Denver, Colorado, last week, Senator Obama stressed that he and his running mate Senator Joseph Biden is going to put an end to tax breaks to companies that ship jobs overseas.

Making a strong anti-outsourcing pitch, Senator Obama said "Joe Biden and I are going to change this tax code".

"We're going to take away tax breaks to companies that ship jobs overseas. We are giving (will give) them to companies that invest right here," Obama said in Dublin, Ohio.

Playing to the gallery on the hot button issue of outsourcing, Obama kept up with the rhetoric on the subject that has been a staple during his campaign for the party's ticket.

"You are working harder and harder just to get by. Tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of manufacturing jobs have left. People have lost not just their job, but their healthcare, their pensions," Senator Obama pointed out.

The Democratic Party's leaders took broad swipe at the soon to be official Republican nominee Senator John McCain for being nothing but a shadow of what has transpired over the Bush era at the White House.

Flaying the Republican-led administration, he said, "John McCain and George Bush share the basic idea...That says you're on your own".

"They call it the ownership society, but it really means you're on your own. Your job gets shipped overseas, tough luck, you're on your own," Senator Obama noted.

I hope he also includes no government contracts to companies who have their headquarters overseas to avoid paying taxes. That one really bites my butt.

You would think that there should have been a lot of blowback already! People have forgotten how to protest the government's actions.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
JayDubya said:
Lol, it's small, hicks, lol, fly-over country, lol, mooseburgers... something like that?

Yeah, don't find that argument too compelling. Can't imagine that line of attack being too effective at doing anything other than making your camp look like dicks.

Well it is Libertarian-like gov. No gov., all communal.

Gaborn

FightyF said:
Why would any intelligent voter vote for Barr? It's quite obvious that with the massively low campaign funds he would have in comparison to the Ds and Rs, that he stands little chance.

Because the idea would be promoting the party to achieve future growth and become viable down the line? Well, that, and refusing to settle for the lesser of two evils?

Well, have they done the same so far? The Republicans already have politicized it...I just saw it on BBC news. I didn't see anything on the Democrats doing the same.

Impossible standard, their convention didn't land the week a hurricane hit so no, they're not in the situation to politicize their convention. Would they if a hurricane hit during it? Well, what would be the politicization of a convention in that situation? From what I can see the Republicans had two options, and you can correct me if I'm wrong. First, they could have done nothing, ignored the hurricane and held their normal convention, in which case they'd be called callous, unfeeling, and out of touch. Second, they could acknowledge the hurricane and be accused of politicizing it because they're trying to raise money for the victims now to help them.

Is that about right? Is there any decision they could have made with regards to it that you would not have criticized?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
JayDubya said:
Stories about her absolutely attacking the state budget and people of both parties whining at her for it certainly make me predisposed to approving nods her direction.

Welcome back! But that's the reason you like her? Of course she makes it difficult for both parties, she's a PTA mom and probably on MADD and all that jazz, and she is not a politician. She'll have that crash course on how to be a politician I'm sure. Someone on MSNBC pointed something out: that they needed to teach her to lower her tone of voice! :lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
JayDubya said:
Yeah, I'd like some hard data on this. Other accounts show her taking on wasteful spending, cutting her own salary, switching out how local taxes were handled, etc.

Example: what was the debt before she took over?

Wish I had some specific data for you, however - it's not hearsay - I did see her defending it by saying it was long-term debt for much needed improvements. Which may well be correct, but still doesn't sit well with your ideas about small government.

I'm sure somebody here can link to specific figures.

EDIT: Anyway, why are you jumping to her defense? She's a terrible candidate by any measure. I can see why you'd side with her positions, especially ethically, but not her qualification to be the leader of the free world.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
JayDubya said:
Lol, it's small, hicks, lol, fly-over country, lol, mooseburgers... something like that?

Yeah, don't find that argument too compelling. Can't imagine that line of attack being too effective at doing anything other than making your camp look like dicks.

I think it would be effective when directly contrasted against being one large facial-melanoma away from having to speak directly to world leaders. I mean, we're assuming that our leaders will have to relate to leaders from around the world, right? Appearing to your constituents as a bumpkin that you'd love to have a drink with is one thing, but actually being one is another.

Not saying that she can't learn to do so, nor that she isn't capable, but that it speaks volumes about McCain's decision making process and that it is absolutely a compelling argument.

But no, it probably won't work long. The whole idea of the Obama campaign is that "anybody can do it" with enough hard work. Railing too long on this idea would be seen as attacking rural America itself, rather than the candidate.

Gaborn said:
Whether you can or you can't, he is so you should make your own determination how much weight you give to his explanation.

It's paper thin. I wouldn't use the R word as it's used too frequently, but when McCain uses such a word, I find it telling of his character. More so than all the flip flopping he's done the past few months.

Gaborn

RobotChant said:
It's paper thin. I wouldn't use the R word as it's used too frequently, but when McCain uses such a word, I find it telling of his character. More so than all the flip flopping he's done the past few months.

Ok.

JayDubya

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
EDIT: Anyway, why are you jumping to her defense? She's a terrible candidate by any measure. I can see why you'd side with her positions, especially ethically, but not her qualification to be the leader of the free world.

Well, I promise I'm not doing it just to be a devil's advocate / contrarian, though sometimes we need one of those just because.

Also, I don't really think I'm "jumping to her defense" at this point. I do feel inclined to like her, and like Gaborn said, she's certainly closer to me on the issues than Obama or McCain.

Tamanon

Banned
JayDubya said:
Well, I promise I'm not doing it just to be a devil's advocate / contrarian, though sometimes we need one of those just because.

Also, I don't really think I'm "jumping to her defense" at this point. I do feel inclined to like her, and like Gaborn said, she's certainly closer to me on the issues than Obama or McCain.

Keep in mind that she's not quite as fiscally conservative as people like to say she is, considering the main reason she attacked the budget was a windfall profits tax on oil.:p

kevm3

The 'executive experience' argument I keep hearing brought up in Palin's favor is a bit ridiculous... It is true that she does indeed have executive experience, but is it extensive enough to really be using as a bullet point? If I was governor for one day, guess what, I have more executive experience than Biden, Obama, and McCain combined. When making this experience argument, what experience is the most valid kind? Biden has tons of foreign policy experience. Obama has tons of experience in crafting intellectual frameworks, being the head of the Harvard Law Review

I applaud her for her attempts to weed out corruption in the government in her area. Nobody can take that from her and that is one positive in her favor.

Now, one of the most significant issues we face right now is dealing with the Iraq war... This is one of my biggest problems with a theoretical "Palin-as-president" scenario. We can say, "Obama has no experience, so he'll have to essentially learn on the job, which is the same as Palin." Now, the difference between Obama and Palin is that Obama actually has made correct judgments in regards to the Iraq war, whereas Palin is rather ignorant of the whole situation going on over there. Barack has shown the ability that he will be able to craft a sound intellectual framework on how to deal with the situation in Iraq. One example is his calling for a timetable, which Bush is now attempting to adopt. Palin seems rather unversed on the whole situation. From a pure experience standpoint, they will both have to 'learn on the job.' However, making sound judgment is something that you can't just pull out of thin air. You can't simply 'learn that from the "master."'

Energy is another big situation in my book. What I've heard from her on energy is that the majority of her plan seems to be 'more drilling.' I disagree with a pure drilling approach. I believe we need to start exploring alternative energy sources, including wind and solar.

ronito

kevm3 said:
I applaud her for her attempts to weed out corruption in the government in her area. Nobody can take that from her and that is one positive in her favor.
Oh but you're wrong. She does a pretty good job of taking that away from herself with Troopergate and firing employees that didn't support her campaign.

JayDubya said:
Yeah, I'd like some hard data on this. Other accounts show her taking on wasteful spending, cutting her own salary, switching out how local taxes were handled, etc.

Example: what was the debt before she took over?

She botched a deal involving a sports complex that she wanted built on private land.
Apparently she felt that was a important project for a city with 8000 residents.

Google "Palin debt" and you'll get about 1780 results of this.

FightyF

Banned
Gaborn said:
Because the idea would be promoting the party to achieve future growth and become viable down the line? Well, that, and refusing to settle for the lesser of two evils?

At a critical conjunction in the history of the United States, seeking to boost a near dead party for the sake doing so, rather than for the sake of doing what's better for the nation, is backwards, isn't it? Really doesn't come off as a logical plan to me.

Impossible standard, their convention didn't land the week a hurricane hit so no, they're not in the situation to politicize their convention. Would they if a hurricane hit during it? Well, what would be the politicization of a convention in that situation? From what I can see the Republicans had two options, and you can correct me if I'm wrong. First, they could have done nothing, ignored the hurricane and held their normal convention, in which case they'd be called callous, unfeeling, and out of touch. Second, they could acknowledge the hurricane and be accused of politicizing it because they're trying to raise money for the victims now to help them.

Is that about right? Is there any decision they could have made with regards to it that you would not have criticized?

No one would have criticized the second decision. The convention would have been a great and opportune time to raise funds for the impending emergency. The D convention had 40 million viewers according to that 60 minutes piece. If the R convention had the same, they could have spoken to a lot of Americans and appealed to their generosity.

They would not have been accused of politicizing anything because they wouldn't have mentioned their party, but rather the cause. They could have asked Republicans AND Democrats to give. Nothing political about that.

The second you insinuate that you're doing what you're doing because you are a Republican, and speak as if no other party would have done the same, is when you are politicizing it.

laserbeam

Banned

Gaborn

FightyF said:
At a critical conjunction in the history of the United States, seeking to boost a near dead party for the sake doing so, rather than for the sake of doing what's better for the nation, is backwards, isn't it? Really doesn't come off as a logical plan to me.

Perhaps you honestly believe that the Democrats and Republicans are not much different on the issues you care about and it really doesn't matter which of the two idiots gets elected? Perhaps you also believe that supporting a third party is a better method of sending that message than not voting at all, your other primary alternative?

laserbeam said:
An Update on the "Baby Scandal"
http://townhall.com/blog/g/9b3375c7-6a27-4b5e-9204-b267282a1ce1

Anchorage Daily News Media gallery
That Picture of the supposed "baby bump"
It was taken, and published, by the Anchorage Daily News in 2006. Baby Trig, a child with Down's Syndrome, was born on April 18, 2008. That's a long time for a teen girl to be carrying a "bump" which looks nothing more than the curve of a tight sweater.

I think that effectively ends it

Holy shit, I missed this entire thing. God, this shit is so fucking stupid.

Gaborn

laserbeam said:
An Update on the "Baby Scandal"
http://townhall.com/blog/g/9b3375c7-6a27-4b5e-9204-b267282a1ce1

Anchorage Daily News Media gallery
That Picture of the supposed "baby bump"
It was taken, and published, by the Anchorage Daily News in 2006. Baby Trig, a child with Down's Syndrome, was born on April 18, 2008. That's a long time for a teen girl to be carrying a "bump" which looks nothing more than the curve of a tight sweater.

I think that effectively ends it

I wonder how long it'll be before someone tries to discredit this by saying it's just TownHall (since it is sort of a right wing site). Perhaps no one will though, I think it does pretty much settle the issue that the Kos diarist had to lie about the date of the photo.

JayDubya

Banned
Just to be safe / clear, the OP does say, "any mention" so if taken literally... well, I don't know what exactly he meant, but I wouldn't take chances, guys.

laserbeam

Banned
JayDubya said:
Just to be safe / clear, the OP does say, "any mention" so if taken literally... well, I don't know what exactly he meant, but I wouldn't take chances, guys.
Hopefully ill not face a ban. I think its important that the truth about the picture etc is out so it can stay a dead topic.

Gaborn

JayDubya said:

I think debunking it is fine, I didn't see anyone banned for saying Obama is NOT a Muslim, since he's not and the evidence clearly shows he's not. The problem is people trying to promote a conspiracy theory with no evidence since it just makes that person look sleazy and ignorant.

JayDubya

Banned
Gaborn said:
I think debunking it is fine, I didn't see anyone banned for saying Obama is NOT a Muslim, since he's not and the evidence clearly shows he's not. The problem is people trying to promote a conspiracy theory with no evidence since it just makes that person look sleazy and ignorant.

Well, yeah. The other forums I post at are infected with this bullshit too, so I'm glad they're taking a zero tolerance stand here.

Gaborn

JayDubya said:
Well, yeah. The other forums I post at are infected with this bullshit too, so I'm glad they're taking a zero tolerance stand here.

Absolutely, it's a great stand for civility

lopaz

Banned
JayDubya said:
I'm guessing no one really wants to go at it on this one?

I know I've seen people railing on that "experience" thing, over and over.

Well as said there's numerous things to use against her, ie laughing at the cancer and bitch remarks, leaving her town in debt, and supporting that bridge (despite what she says now). I hardly think it's going to excite the republicans either, since apart from the initial IT'S A WOMAN reaction, she is a bit of a nobody and the press are picking up on her weaknesses.

laserbeam

Banned
JayDubya said:
I'm guessing no one really wants to go at it on this one?

I know I've seen people railing on that "experience" thing, over and over.

I think your generally spot on with your assessment. Palin certainly completes the McCain ticket in the sense of being the buzz generator. That Buzz generation can do alot for the campaign. People who would have voted but weren't exicted may become excited now and talk up the ticket with people and spread information that otherwise may have not been spread.

The whole thing now as you said depends on Palin showing herself to be able to handle the role she would be pushed into. If she shows herself to be competant to the people who matter etc then she will do exactly what a VP pick is supposed to do: Do no harm the ticket while causing excitement and getting potential new votes.

People should not underestimate Palin.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Gaborn said:
Absolutely, it's a great stand for civility

It's what Obama would've wanted. We're just human, but if we're voting for his ideals, then it's because we admire them... so why shouldn't we practice a little of it too? :p

But under her leadership, the state of Alaska has requested 31 earmarks worth $197.8 million in next year's federal budget, according to the website of Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), the former chairman of the Senate Appropriations Committee.

Palin has recently been publicly critical of requests made in past years by Stevens and others for $223 million in federal funds for a bridge from Ketchikan, Alaska, to Gravina Island, calling it "the Bridge to Nowhere," a derogatory label critics attached to the project.

As a candidate for governor in 2006, she backed funding for the bridge.

After her election, however, she killed the project, saying she would use the federal funds for other purposes.

As mayor of the small city of Wasilla, Alaska, Palin appears to have made use of the system she now decries, hiring a Washington lobbyist, Steven Silver, to represent the town. Years ago, Silver worked as an aide to Stevens.

After he was hired, the city obtained funding for several projects, including a city bus facility that received an earmark valued at $600,000 in 2002. That year a local water and sewer project received $1.5 million in federal earmarks, according to Taxpayers for Common Sense, a nonpartisan watchdog organization.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/washingtondc/la-na-earmarks1-2008sep01,0,6108885.story

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
JD: The worries from a libertarian perspective are... well, that she's not a libertarian.

She supported the bridge to nowhere as long as the feds were footing the bill and fought to keep an unprofitable state-owned dairy business open, going so far as to fire the members of the board that had oversight of it.

As mayor of Wasilla she lowered property taxes and raised sales taxes which seems like a wash (though certain subspecies like geolibertarians might have strong feelings about this). She supported building public entertainment and sports facilities.

She seems fine with taxing people in the name of the public good and doesn't seem afraid to fire people for political reasons. She's got something of a reputation as a reformer but at first glance it seems like this is more for symbolic moves and for being outside the Ted Stevens machine than for anything really substantial.

I could be wrong though. Like everyone else I have no idea who this person is.

adamsappel said:
Well, she was elected governor. Of Alaska, yes, and seemingly on an "anyone but the incumbent" ticket, but still.

Hey, way to take quotes out of context. What do you work for the MSM or something? ;)

Obviously she has achieved things in her life, she's governor of a state. But as was pretty obvious by the rest of my post, I meant didn't achieve anything by being nominated for VP.

Well as said there's numerous things to use against her, ie laughing at the cancer and bitch remarks, leaving her town in debt, and supporting that bridge (despite what she says now). I hardly think it's going to excite the republicans either, since apart from the initial IT'S A WOMAN reaction, she is a bit of a nobody and the press are picking up on her weaknesses.

The republicans are pumped, from what I understand.

LM4sure

Banned
Just saw on cnn.com that Obama didn't get a bump in the polls following the DNC. LOL, that's not good, especially considering how most people think it was a great convention and Obama gave a wonderful speech.

All down hill for the Dems from here I guess...

LM4sure

Banned
Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts said that women would not be “seduced” by the Republican ticket

But black people are being seduced to vote for Obama? What is it, something like 98% of African Americans polled plan on voting for Barak. Sure, John Kerry. Women won't vote for another woman. Whatever you say...

LM4sure said:
But black people are being seduced to vote for Obama? What is it, something like 98% of African Americans polled plan on voting for Barak. Sure, John Kerry. Women won't vote for another woman. Whatever you say...

Condi and Powell wouldn't get that kind of support among African Americans. Race is not enough. Same goes with Alan Keyes (which Obama soundly crushed in his state).

Obama is the right combination of race, electibility and issues so naturally, he gets support.

LM4sure said:

are you new to politics, or just slow?

90-odd percent of African Americans vote democratic No matter who the nominee is.

The pennsylvania GOP attempted to counter a popular white democratic governor by running Lynn swann as their republican challenger- lynn was not only black, but a superbowl champion for the steelers. He crashed and burned SPECTACULARLY against rendell and got crushed by 20 points. It's not a race thing.

The republicans have spent the last 40 odd years pandering so heavily to southern bigots (since the LBJ civil rights thing) that Black republicans are about as common as unicorns. Nice try, but it's not even close to the same thing.

And recent polls have a LOT more undecided voters completely insulted by the palin pick than anything else, so it looks like Kerry is correct here.

qwertybob

LM4sure said:

It took Obama months to win over the black vote, Hillary was leading this demographic for a long time.

Just googled it and she was leading 57% to 33% in October 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom