• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Volunteer oppo research on Palin - Dems have a real advantage

The Palin pick took everyone by surprise, but Democrats in general and the Obama camp in particular have a real advantage this cycle: A massive, distributed opposition research network composed of thousands of supporters around the country and in Alaska.

Reporters were immediately deluged with e-mail on everything from the doubts about Palin's opposition to the "Bridge to Nowhere" to the sort of stuff that, unproven, doesn't belong in print.

The upside of this is that the elements of Palin's record that are available online have been scoured with a speed that would otherwise have been unthinkable. And the Obama campaign can legitimately deny that it's the source of much of the oppo.

But there's potential for backlash. The McCain campaign — which has been searching, in vain, for months for opportunities to claim a victimhood equivalent to that imposed on Obama by viral e-mails — now has its own smear campaign to protest, and to beat back.

Indeed, the similarities between one set of attacks on Palin and on Obama are striking: They're demanding to see a birth certificate, and basing theories on arguments about what's available online, rather than supplementing that with offline research and interviews.

It's striking — and no doubt comp lit papers will be written on this in the future — the similarities between the theories that go viral, and the degree to which they seem to be thrown primarily to black and female candidates. Contrast the sheer volume of online conspiracy theorizing about Obama, Clinton, and (already) Palin to the relative absence of such theories about McCain and John Edwards, whose scandal was left to the old print tabloids to unearth.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/Volunteer_oppo.html

syllogism

haha

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/01/1318541.aspx

Reuters: "The 17-year-old daughter of Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin is pregnant, Palin said Monday in an announcement intended to knock down rumors by liberal bloggers that Palin faked her own pregnancy to cover up for her child.

Bristol Palin, one of Alaska Gov. Palin's five children with her husband, Todd, is about five months pregnant and is going to keep the child and marry the father, the Palins said in a statement released by the campaign of Republican presidential candidate John McCain.

Bristol Palin made the decision on her own to keep the baby, McCain aides said. 'We have been blessed with five wonderful children who we love with all our heart and mean everything to us,' the Palins' statement said. 'Our beautiful daughter Bristol came to us with news that as parents we knew would make her grow up faster than we had ever planned. As Bristol faces the responsibilities of adulthood, she knows she has our unconditional love and support,' the Palins said."

omg rite said:
McCain's taped video, talking about the hurricane, made me cringe.

"Take off our Republican hats and put on our American hats."

What.

That is a pretty poor way of saying it. Why would they be different hats?

omg rite said:

What.

Jeez, first he can afford 7 houses, now multiple hats too? Does his decadence know no bounds?

Diablos

omg rite said:

What.
Mother nature is going to give McCain a bigger bump than the convention probably would have. :\

ronito

JayDubya said:
lessee just off the top of my head:

1. Opposes woman's right to choose what to do with her body even in the case of rape and incest. I mean even MORMONS will make these exceptions.

2. Running as #2 in a ticket that is against equal pay and in cases contraception (IE: Emergency)

3. Was a freaking beauty queen.

Argue all you want, even these three tenants when presented to any traditional feminist would illicit a reply of "GTFO!" Being against a woman's right to choose in ANY case to a feminist would be like being a big government libertarian, the other points just further the point. Disagree with abortion all you want, a feminist by feminist definition she is not. Like I said, she's as much a feminist as I am libertarian.

Gaborn said:
It's her mother's fault that she got pregnant. Wait... what?

That never stopped that party from demonizing the dumbest shit in the world whether it be Murphy Brown or the whole abstinence only education.

Gaborn

Hitokage said:
Well, there goes being pro-contraception...

How so? Being in favor of contraception doesn't mean you always use it, or that if you use it you use it correctly (aren't like 20% of condoms used incorrectly even though when used correctly they're like 97% effective?)

Stoney - That's true but it doesn't excuse other sensible people from stooping to the same level as the crazies on the right (or left)

Your kids getting knocked up is what happens when you are an absentee mom who chooses career over staying at home to raise the family.

that's what right-wing pundits would be saying if she were a dem

(post edited)

Rur0ni

Stoney Mason said:
you gotta be fucking me. The family values party.
Yeah... and it won't cost em votes either.

bg_elba1_family.jpg

gkryhewy

Stoney Mason said:
That never stopped that party from demon-izing the dumbest shit in the world whether it be Murphy Brown or the whole abstinence only education.

Yep, it will mitigate some of the conservative nutters' enthusiasm. On one hand, a militant position on abortion, a hardcore position on guns, and a feudal european position on science. On the other, her kid is having a kid out of wedlock! Gonna be some cold sweats around the dinner table in the confederacy.

Gaborn

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Your kids getting knocked up is what happens when you are an absentee mom who chooses career over staying at home to raise the family.

I think Obama should run on this platform. I'm sure it'd go over wonderfully.

Gaborn said:
How so? Being in favor of contraception doesn't mean you always use it, or that if you use it you use it correctly (aren't like 20% of condoms used incorrectly even though when used correctly they're like 97% effective?)

Stoney - That's true but it doesn't excuse other sensible people from stooping to the same level as the crazies on the right (or left)

Any party that wraps itself up in "family values" deserves to be asked the question what kind of family values they might have with a 17 year old unwed preganant daughter is the mother of their VP selection. They are the ones who harp on it.

ronito

Gaborn said:
It's her mother's fault that she got pregnant. Wait... what?
A woman raises a daughter with "family values" said daughter gets pregnant and everyone's like "Don't judge! You can't judge!"

But Obama goes to church with and then distanced himself from a crazy reverend and served on a school board with with someone who did horrible things when Obama was six and suddenly everyone's like "Hey, these are important character issues."

I'm not saying you're doing this Gaborn, but surely you see that it can't be done both ways.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Gaborn said:
Yeah, that statement assumes a lot, but usually in a household where contraception is promoted instead of merely abstinence you'd see less of this.
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Uh, no.

looks like some unbannings, if GAF even does that, will need to occur since she actually is pregnant :lol

and what a perfect time to release the story

Gaborn said:
I think Obama should run on this platform. I'm sure it'd go over wonderfully.

Oh, I didn't say that. This is politics, after all. :lol

Hitokage said:

Dude, I was being sarcastic.

Now, what do you think the republicans would be saying if Barack had a female VP with a 17-year old pregnant daughter?

Gaborn

Hitokage said:
Yeah, that statement assumes a lot, but usually in a household where contraception is promoted instead of merely abstinence you'd see less of this.

It only has to happen once.

FoneBone

beermonkey@tehbias said:
ok, this is kinda bullshit reasoning and more than a little sexist

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Dude, I was being sarcastic.
Sorry, I don't see you post much and what you said is exactly what others would be entirely serious in saying. :p

Link648099 said:
looks like some unbannings, if GAF even does that, will need to occur since she actually is pregnant :lol
Absolutely not. There were people in this thread promoting unsubstantiated smears and they deserve to stay banned for their original term.

ratcliffja said:
I... I can't believe that the FAKE rumors ended up being nearly true for entirely different reasons. That's just insane.

It's like Obama announcing he couldn't possibly be a secret Muslim because he's a secret atheist.

HolyStar

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:

Bullshit and yes a woman must stay home and raise her kids and not have a career. No more stupid comments like these please.

ronito

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Now, what do you think the republicans would be saying if Barack had a female VP with a 17-year old pregnant daughter?
Muslim got his own daughter pregnant. Film at eleven!

qwertybob

Obviously a well vetted candidate! haha this is classic :lol

this image suddenly makes sence..

55.jpg

ps. i assume its now ok to discuss this issue ?

beermonkey@tehbias said:

Or you don't encourage comprehensive sex-ed, including education on the proper usage of contraceptives.

Abstinence only is the see no evil, hear no evil, and hope-that-they-do-no-evil approach to preventing teen pregnancies...

So ironic.

numble

A former beauty queen who is about to become a 44 year old grandmother. Who was being compared to Britney Spears again?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
CharlieDigital said:
Or you don't encourage comprehensive sex-ed, including education on the proper usage of contraceptives.

Abstinence only is the see no evil, hear no evil, and hope-that-they-do-no-evil approach to preventing teen pregnancies...

So ironic.

Going after the daughter is a pretty bad idea IMO, but this is kinda proof that the Christian conservative views of abstinence education (assuming they had that, though I'm sure that's what they "preached" in their house) doesn't really work so well.

The flood of hypocritical Republican moral quotes over the years on this issue that are going to be brought up should be hilarious.

Absolutely fucking hilarious

ZeoVGM

Banned
THey haven't reported this on TV yet.

Palin was smart to do it today. The hurricane is going to completely overshadow it.

HolyStar

Banned
And so what if her daughter is pregnant a lot of teenageers get pregnant I don't see how this confilcts with family vaules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom