• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekad

Banned
besada said:
I'm one of his supporters. You're welcome to try and make the press follow that rule, though. The actions of supporters reflect on the candidate. May not be fair, but that's the reality. If you're not engaged in obnoxious smears, then I obviously wasn't talking about you.
Every candidate had supporters that engage in obnoxious smears.

besada

Banned
Trakdown said:
Um...that's why we made that shit bannable, since it doesn't have any proof. The news we're talking about is that her daughter, Bristol, is pregnant at 17.

Reading is fundamental

You must have missed the JCreasy spiel about her baby not having Downs. You must have also missed that I was talking about the incoming response on the babygate smear. Reading IS fundamental. you might want to try it.

Gaborn said:
I thought that was Obama's position on drugs?

While I think all drugs should be legal he said he felt they were a waste of his youth. In essence he admitted they were a personal mistake for him. At least admitting a mistake is better than never owning up to one in my book as a lot of moralists like to do.

besada said:
You must have missed the JCreasy (Ed note:NOT CharlieDigital) spiel about her baby not having Downs. You must have also missed that I was talking about the incoming response on the babygate smear.

I didn't make those points. So don't counter my statements with other's statements.

Reading IS fundamental. you might want to try it.

It makes perfect sense now: do as I say, not as I do :lol :lol I can tell you're voting (R)

Gaborn

pxleyes said:
:lol That's the best you can do? Fuck you should be banned for insinuating that Obama does drugs.

Well no, he obviously doesn't. He certainly did though, and as recently as 4 years ago favored decriminalization of marijuana, now of course he opposes it.

Trakdown

besada said:
You must have missed the JCreasy spiel about her baby not having Downs. You must have also missed that I was talking about the incoming response on the babygate smear. Reading IS fundamental. you might want to try it.

Actually, I probably ignored the down's thing because it's an exceptionally stupid point to even give attention to. And again, you'll have to explain to me the "incoming response" on the babygate thing, since there's about 10 different narratives regarding babies and Palin coming forth, the only valid one being that her 17 year old has a kid on the way (the one I'm focused on.)

CloudNL

Palin should spent more time with her family.
How can this woman be a VP if she can't control her own daughter.
And btw. how old is the father?

besada

Banned
CharlieDigital said:
I didn't make those points. So don't counter my statements with other's statements.

It makes perfect sense now: do as I say, not as I do :lol :lol I can tell you're voting (R)

Okay, my first post? It wasn't directed at you. You responded as if it was. I specifically pointed out in the next post that it wasn't. You apparently missed that.

As for who I'm voting for, I've been pretty vocal aboutmy Obama love, so you clearly have some serious difficulty parsing English.

JCreasy

besada said:
You must have missed the JCreasy spiel about her baby not having Downs.

I simply asked the question about whether it's downs, or brain damage brought on by poor decision making regarding her labor . . .

*removed*

Gaborn

CloudNL said:
Palin should more time with her family.
How can this woman be a VP if she can't control her own daughter.

And btw. how old is the father?

Because it's so easy to convince a 17 year old not to have sex.

JCreasy said:
I simply asked the question about whether it's downs, or brain damage brought on by poor decision making regarding her labor . . .

Downs Syndrome is a genetic condition. So no, not brought about by her decisions.

However, any additional brain damage/complications caused by her actions (if this chart is true) can be attributed to her decisions.

besada

Banned
Trakdown said:
Actually, I probably ignored the down's thing because it's an exceptionally stupid point to even give attention to. And again, you'll have to explain to me the "incoming response" on the babygate thing, since there's about 10 different narratives regarding babies and Palin coming forth, the only valid one being that her 17 year old has a kid on the way (the one I'm focused on.)

Go back and find JCreasy's ridiculous post, and you'll know what I was responding to.

As for the narrative I was mentioning, it was the backlash against babygate.

This post:
Okay, so Ms. Palin thought she could dispel the rumors with this press release. It won't work. This answers almost none of the questions about her activity and decisions on April 17th, when she claimed her water broke while attending an "energy forum" in Texas. She is reported to have stayed for the forum, delivered a speech, taken a very long flight back to Alaska, then another hour's drive to Palmer where she gave birth at 6:30 the next morning. So, even if we don't run with the idea that this baby was Bristol's, there are serious questions about these actions. The baby is said to be a baby with Down Syndrome, which she knew, but never, ever mentioned prior to the birth. Did she deliberately handle this birth carelessly because she cared less for this child? Has anyone seen the child? The picture in the Anchorage paper doesn't show a child with any of the characteristic facial features of a baby with Down Syndrome. Is the child Down Syndrome, or did he suffer brain damage during this careless delivery? And what was this "energy forum" that was apparently so important that she put this child, herself, and the passengers and crew of the Alaska Airlines plane at risk?

If you want to defend that, go ahead. I personally find it repugnant, and unlikely to achieve anything except lowering the level of discourse.

besada said:
Attacking a mother and her child. Classy and effective.

Oh, wait, it's not? It's already blowing up in people's faces? People are already noting this is the second run through of sexist comments coming from Obama supporters? You know, the guy who believes in a more civil discourse?

It's like people want to vote for him, and yet ignore the central tenet of his campaign.

I'm shocked, shocked that this has been turned around on Obama and supporters so quickly.

For the last 3 days we've heard the following over and over from EVERYBODY:

"She represents family values" (This was even mentioned on 60 minutes last night.)
"She has 5 kids"
"She's a mother"

Most of us including myself felt that those would be a HUGE benefit to her & McCain but....
we wake up to news that her 17yr old unmarried daughter is pregnant...

Now for the next 4 days you will hear the following over and over from EVERYBODY:

"What family values?"
"Monkey wrench"
":lol"
"Shift in strategy"

We're not "attacking" we're just having natural reactions.

RiZ III

Gaborn said:
Well no, he obviously doesn't. He certainly did though, and as recently as 4 years ago favored decriminalization of marijuana, now of course he opposes it.

And Bush was a drunk and used Cocaine. Who hasn't admitted to doing some drugs in the past? Hell probably 90% of the people on this forum have probably smoked weed at some point or another.

Trakdown

besada said:
Go back and find JCreasy's ridiculous post, and you'll know what I was responding to.

As for the narrative I was mentioning, it was the backlash against babygate.

Okay, I see it now. Yep, there's a reason I skipped past it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

As far as babygate is concerned, I'd worry more about the backlash if Obama's camp actually said word one about it. So far, I haven't heard them, so it's just the usual suspects on the internet. They don't need to go there, Palin's already a shot in the foot.

Edit: And to be honest, I'm more worried that the baby actually has Down's syndrome and is going to have much less attention from its mother than necessary. That's unfair to the child.

yoopoo

Banned
I don't like her, she's one of them hunter fuckers.

capt.978f7f68449445ac97e405ebd3f5296f.veepstakes_palin_ak508.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Most-...:/080830/480/978f7f68449445ac97e405ebd3f5296f

Gaborn

Beef said:
No, but is sure as fuck is easy to give her some condoms and a BC pill.

She's pro-contraception and there's no evidence that she didn't do this. There is evidence that if she did the daughter didn't necessarily use them, but that's not unusual either.

RiZ - Sure, my point was the "do as I say not as I do/did" mentality works both ways.

yoopoo said:

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080830/capt.978f7f68449445ac97e405ebd3f5296f.veepstakes_palin_ak508.jpg[IMG]

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Most-Emailed-Photos/ss/1756/im:/080830/480/978f7f68449445ac97e405ebd3f5296f[/url][/QUOTE]
But that way she'll surely be able to catch Osama.

Gaborn

Crayon Shinchan said:
It's goddamn easier than running as vice president anyway.

:lol :lol :lol let me guess, you don't know many 17 year olds that want to do something you don't want them to do?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
besada said:
I'm one of his supporters.
Well, I'm confused. You're chastising Obama supporters for ignoring his pleas for a more civil discourse by ignoring one of the tenets of civil discourse yourself in using a broad generalization of a group?

Are you an agent of PUMA trying to infiltrate and sabotage the ranks? ;)

yoopoo said:
I don't like to hunt, but responsible hunters are generally some of the best environmentalists. They hate poachers, are conscious of animal populations, and want to preserve their prey's natural habitat. With that said, I can't stand it when people hunt just for sport and just let the body go to waste as a trophy.

Kolgar

LOL! Well, she had a nice run.

Hey, I've been one of the few in here saying, "Wait until we find out more about Sarah Palin, we'll love her," but damn, this isn't what I had in mind.

Perhaps I'd better get used to saying, "President Obama," because it looks like this should be an easy win for him.

besada

Banned
Trakdown said:
Okay, I see it now. Yep, there's a reason I skipped past it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

As far as babygate is concerned, I'd worry more about the backlash if Obama's camp actually said word one about it. So far, I haven't heard them, so it's just the usual suspects on the internet. They don't need to go there, Palin's already a shot in the foot.

No sweat. While I personally think the "your daughter's pregnant" hypocrisy isn't going to achieve anything (because plenty of conservatives have underage daughters getting pregnant), I don't have a problem discussing it in light of the family values issue.

That said, without knowing if Palin was upset and disappointed in her daughter, it's hard to say she's hypocritical. She thinks unmarried people shouldn't have sex, and that abstinence should be taught. I imagine she still thinks that, regardless of her daughter's pregnancy.

Trakdown

besada said:
No sweat. While I personally think the "your daughter's pregnant" hypocrisy isn't going to achieve anything (because plenty of conservatives have underage daughters getting pregnant), I don't have a problem discussing it in light of the family values issue.

That said, without knowing if Palin was upset and disappointed in her daughter, it's hard to say she's hypocritical. She thinks unmarried people shouldn't have sex, and that abstinence should be taught. I imagine she still thinks that, regardless of her daughter's pregnancy.

Probably now more than ever.

AniHawk

Kolgar said:
LOL! Well, she had a nice run.

Hey, I've been one of the few in here saying, "Wait until we find out more about Sarah Palin, we'll love her," but damn, this isn't what I had in mind.

Perhaps I'd better get used to saying, "President Obama," because it looks like this should be an easy win for him.

I really doubt the media goes after her for this. They honestly shouldn't.

Gaborn

ViperVisor said:
Recent links about what she would fund at schools says otherwise.

That depends, I think the word "explicit" is key, there's a difference between supporting comprehensive sex ed and "explicit" sex ed, but I'm not quite sure what the line is there.

JCreasy said:
Okay, so Ms. Palin thought she could dispel the rumors with this press release. It won't work. This answers almost none of the questions about her activity and decisions on April 17th, when she claimed her water broke while attending an "energy forum" in Texas. She is reported to have stayed for the forum, delivered a speech, taken a very long flight back to Alaska, then another hour's drive to Palmer where she gave birth at 6:30 the next morning. So, even if we don't run with the idea that this baby was Bristol's, there are serious questions about these actions. The baby is said to be a baby with Down Syndrome, which she knew, but never, ever mentioned prior to the birth. Did she deliberately handle this birth carelessly because she cared less for this child? Has anyone seen the child? The picture in the Anchorage paper doesn't show a child with any of the characteristic facial features of a baby with Down Syndrome. Is the child Down Syndrome, or did he suffer brain damage during this careless delivery? And what was this "energy forum" that was apparently so important that she put this child, herself, and the passengers and crew of the Alaska Airlines plane at risk?

Well, this is pretty much what I've been wondering about, although the nature of the conference hadn't even crossed my mind-- a simple "why did she fly home after her water broke" is enough to bring up serious questions of judgment.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
besada said:

This does huge damage at the organization level. There are people in the GOP right now FUMING because they think this bizarre pick was inadequately vetted already. Obama and Co. can just sit back and let America be befuddled by all this weirdness and concentrate on the issues. Palin is a mess. It's like Little House on the Prairie meets The Hills.

thekad

Banned
AniHawk said:
I really doubt the media goes after her for this. They honestly shouldn't.

Perhaps it'll start a national conversation in the media on whether "Christian values" education actually works.

lolz

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Gaborn said:
:lol :lol :lol let me guess, you don't know many 17 year olds that want to do something you don't want them to do?

It (Stopping a 17 year old from been a walking id) may not be easy, but this is concerning the presidency of the US of A. You'd want the candidates to be a bit more fucking qualified than your average to below-average soccer mom.

Tamanon

Banned
Gaborn said:
That depends, I think the word "explicit" is key, there's a difference between supporting comprehensive sex ed and "explicit" sex ed, but I'm not quite sure what the line is there.

The line is that the word explicit was only used because it was a right-wing survey. :p

E-phonk

Banned
Xisiqomelir said:
Yeah, there's no way out of this for him.

1) Did Know = Approval of moral degeneracy
They seemed to have gone with this:
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/01/palin.daughter/index.html

Republican presidential candidate McCain was aware of Bristol Palin's pregnancy before he chose her mother for his running mate, the aide said.

"Senator McCain knew this and felt in no way did it disqualify her from being vice president," said the aide. "Families have difficulties sometimes, and lucky for her she has a supportive family."

Trakdown

OuterWorldVoice said:
This does huge damage at the organization level. There are people in the GOP right now FUMING because they think this bizarre pick was inadequately vetted already. Obama and Co. can just sit back and let America be befuddled by all this weirdness and concentrate on the issues. Palin is a mess. It's like Little House on the Prairie meets The Hills.

"Vetted", my ass. McCain went clothes shopping for his VP. "I need something that makes me look young and hip".

The great thing about Palin is that she's driving undecideds over to Obama in droves.

Gaborn said:

You don't need to know what explicit means.

Here's the first part of the question: "Will you support funding for abstinence-until-marriage education"

Here's her answer: "Yes".

http://eagleforumalaska.blogspot.com/2006/07/2006-gubernatorial-candidate.html

She doesn't say: "Yes, but...". She says: "Yes".

Ezra Klein:

WEIRD TURNS IN ELECTIONS.

In this election, Joe Biden is proving the low-key, stable, drama-free vice presidential candidate who basically does his job and stays out of the news. Joe Biden.

:lol

Gaborn

Tamanon said:
The line is that the word explicit was only used because it was a right-wing survey. :p

That's what the questioner meant, now the key is what SHE meant. And how does she reconcile her pro-contraception stance with that statement.

Charlie - I'd support it too if a district wanted to go that way, it should be up to school districts to determine what they want their children to learn, whether comprehensive sex ed or not much at all.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Tamanon said:
Lulz

And Stoney's got the right of it, they'll keep hammering family values, keep on saying she's a reformer who hates the Bridge to Nowhere and earmarks(both lies) and so forth.
:lol Wow Sarah. Wow.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Gaborn said:
Because it's so easy to convince a 17 year old not to have sex.
Because it's so easy to convince a fundamentalist terrorist not to commit mass murder.

Nature of the job and it doesn't get any easier than that. Obviouisly, it's not a job for everyone and that's not a slam against anyone who can't handle it.

GhaleonEB

Trakdown said:
"Vetted", my ass. McCain went clothes shopping for his VP. "I need something that makes me look young and hip".

The great thing about Palin is that she's driving undecideds over to Obama in droves.
Yeah. It's pretty clear this decision was made in full-on panic mode.

Gaborn

kaching said:
Because it's so easy to convince a fundamentalist terrorist not to commit mass murder.

Nature of the job and it doesn't get any easier than that. Obviouisly, it's not a job for everyone and that's not a slam against anyone who can't handle it.

:lol :lol :lol I'm sure you did everything your parents told you at 17.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom