• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mj1108

Link648099 said:
So lets compile a list of excuses:

-Palin's daughter being pregnant isn't her fault as a parent because "shit happens"
-Palin's being a corrupt director doesn't matter because she wasn't there when it was revealed
-Palin saying she doesn't know what a vp does is okay because....?
-Palin's belief that abortion can't happen even in rape / incest will still win her women votes because...?
-Palin flip flopped on the bridge to nowhere but its okay because Kerry did it?
-Palin is under investigation for corruption but that shouldn't get brought up because it will look like a woman is being attacked by a man?

what am I missing?

It's ok that her 17 year old daughter is pregnant because "many other families go through this" (paraphrase) according to Karl Rove on Fox News.

(I'm not purposely watching Fox News... I'm flipping through for Hurricane coverage and came across it)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Kildace said:
So this is what happens when you choose a VP without vetting?
With Gustav not doing much and no RNC I guess the cable news now have something to discuss all day.

I read a story the other day where they showed that mcCain didn't even check the local Wasilla newspaper archives. The first request they received from anyone was from a democrat trying to research her after the pick was announced.

Sloppy.

Tamanon

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
I read a story the other day where they showed that mcCain didn't even check the local Wasilla newspaper archives. The first request they received from anyone was from a democrat trying to research her after the pick was announced.

Sloppy.

Yup, it seems that McCain has sent a team to Alaska to do research NOW.

soul creator said:
random note: the fact that Obama knew Reverend Wright actually makes me want to vote for him even more.

I wonder how many other people feel that way? :lol

I definitely do. I doubt it's all that widespread though...:lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I think the big issues with Palin's daughter being pregnant is that McCain's camp cannot use the traditional conservative position on sex: teach abstinence only and proclaim kids shouldn't have sex until they're married. It's guaranteed to work!

The DWI and pregnancy stuff is pretty irrelevant, especially the DWI. We already know McCain and Obama people are in Alaska digging stuff up, and the various local newspapers seem more than willing to cooperate. One of the biggest points about her is that she "took on corruption," which I'm sure she did to a certain degree but not with the Bridge to nowhere. The media has yet to truly call her out on that. To me that's the big issue here, along with the trooper thing. With all these little leaks occurring it's only a matter of time before something substantial leaks.

Interesting thought: if it becomes blatantly obvious that Palin was involved in wrong doing with the trooper, will the McCain camp try to axe her before the October 31st findings are released?

thekad

Banned
reilo said:
I think the big issues with Palin's daughter being pregnant is that McCain's camp cannot use the traditional conservative position on sex: teach abstinence only and proclaim kids shouldn't have sex until they're married.

:lol No.

PD: And she has a convenient out, ie the national scene being too much for a mother of a Downs child.

syllogism

Top McCain campaign official Steve Schmidt told a scrum of reporters in St. Paul that McCain was aware of Bristol Palin's pregnancy "last week," though he would not say specifically which day last week.

"Senator McCain was aware of this private family matter last week," he said, adding that the senator and governor "had a private conversation" where McCain "became aware" that Palin's daughter was pregnant. Schmidt was repeatedly asked whether McCain knew of the daughter's condition before the announcement on Friday, and each time he used a variation of, "He became aware last week in a private conversation."

heh

Amir0x said:
For-fucking-seriously.

Guys, I know you have plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike Palin. I do too! But for the love of God, really? Obama did drugs when he was young, I guess that means he shouldn't be president. Clinton "didn't inhale", I guess that means he shouldn't be president.

And this shit isn't even RELATED to Palin! This happened 24 years ago, BEFORE they were even married.

If you want to lose the election, this is exactly the way to do it. By being like the Republicans. And what's worse is these past half a year most of you were totally crying about how unfair similar attacks were on Obama.

Although I agree I am still getting kind of tired of this muzzle. Obama had to put up with a lot of lame shit from the media. If CNN is reporting an old DWI for Palin's husband why do we have to take the high road and hold back?

Obama going through it made me frustrated as fuck about the how lame the attacks became.

Can't we enjoy McCain's pick being a gift of lulz? Why are we being scolded to protect Palin?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Look, reasonable people on gaf don't give a shit about the pregnancy, the DWI, the airplane water-breaking fiasco, any of that shit. The point is not sin here - the point is hypocrisy and poor vetting.

If this stuff had happened to Obama, the Republicans would roll out frothing attack dogs like Dobson's Focus on the Family, etc.

Because the democrats don't run their campaign on bullshit strawmen like FAMBLY VALUEZ they are weak on the attack in this kind of scenario. Bluntly, and sadly, that is one of the reasons why I identify with democrats and not republicans.

There will be plenty more Palin fail. Plenty. Let's just sit back and watch it gather.

AniHawk

PhoenixDark said:
The DWI and pregnancy stuff is pretty irrelevant, especially the DWI. We already know McCain and Obama people are in Alaska digging stuff up, and the various local newspapers seem more than willing to cooperate. One of the biggest points about her is that she "took on corruption," which I'm sure she did to a certain degree but not with the Bridge to nowhere. The media has yet to truly call her out on that. To me that's the big issue here, along with the trooper thing. With all these little leaks occurring it's only a matter of time before something substantial leaks.

Interesting thought: if it becomes blatantly obvious that Palin was involved in wrong doing with the trooper, will the McCain camp try to axe her before the October 31st findings are released?

Is 'troopergate' the one with the e-mails she won't let anyone read because she's obviously innocent?

reilo

thekad said:

The conservative position on sex education is that you DO NOT teach about contraceptives. The conservative position is that you ONLY teach abstinence - and it has been the Bush's position for many years. Not only that, but it has been Palin's position, too.

From NBC's Katie Primm and Mark Murray
By way, as has been pointed out, Palin backed abstinence-only education during her 2006 gubernatorial race. In an Eagle Forum Alaska questionnaire, Palin gave this response to the following question:

Will you support funding for abstinence-until-marriage education instead of for explicit sex-education programs, school-based clinics, and the distribution of contraceptives in schools?

Palin: Yes, the explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support.

*** UPDATE *** NBC's Abby Livingston adds that a McCain spokesperson in May 2007 said the Arizona Republican supported abstinence-only education, too

Election 2008: The Movie

Barack Obama: Will Smith
Michelle Obama: Angela Basset
Joe Biden: Ed Harris
Jill Biden: Helen Mirren
Hillary Clinton: Meryl Streep
Bill Clinton: George Clooney
Chelsea Clinton: Kate Hudson
John McCain: Clint Eastwood
Cindy McCain: Laura Linney
Sarah Palin: Tina Fey
Bristol Palin: Jamie Lynn Spears
Reverend Wright: Terrence Howard
Terry Macaullife: Robin Williams

get to it, Hollywood

lexdysia

Banned
Michael Kinsley at Slate.com puts the governing question perfectly.

The official response to the question of experience emerged within hours and is only slightly more plausible: She may not have foreign policy experience, but—unlike Obama, Joe Biden, or even John McCain—she has had executive experience. Why, before her stint as governor of Alaska, population 670,000, she was mayor of a town of 9,000. Remember when the Republicans mocked Bill Clinton for being governor of a "small state"? That would be Arkansas, population 2.8 million. As it happens, 670,000 is the population of metropolitan Little Rock.

The whole "experience" debate is silly. Under our system of government, there is only one job that gives you both executive and foreign-policy experience, and that's the one McCain and Obama are running for. Nevertheless, it's a hardy perennial: If your opponent is a governor, you accuse him or her of lacking foreign-policy experience. If he or she is a member of Congress, you say this person has never run anything. And if, by any chance, your opponent has done both, you say that he or she is a "professional politician." When Republicans aren't complaining about someone's lack of experience, they are calling for term limits.

That's why the important point about Palin's lack of experience isn't about Palin. It's about McCain. And the question is not how his choice of Palin might complicate his ability to use the "experience" issue, or whether he will have to drop experience as an issue. It's not even about the proper role of experience as an issue. In fact, it's not about experience at all. It's about honesty.

http://www.slate.com/id/2199029/

Smiles and Cries said:
Although I agree I am still getting kind of tired of this muzzle. Obama had to put up with a lot of lame shit from the media. If CNN is reporting an old DWI for Palin's husband why do we have to take the high road and hold back?

Obama going through it made me frustrated as fuck about the how lame the attacks became.

Can't we enjoy McCain's pick being a gift of lulz? Why are we being scolded to protect Palin?

You don't have to protect her, dude. There are scads of legitimate reasons to erupt in lul after lul about this decision without having to go to meaningless bullshit. I should know. I've been doing it for days now.

CloudNL

soul creator said:

get to it, Hollywood

I smell 8 Oscars.

AniHawk said:
Is 'troopergate' the one with the e-mails she won't let anyone read because she's obviously innocent?

Actually the fired trooper says he has emails from Palin; apparently she doesn't mention the ex-husband in law by name but it's obvious who's being discussed

So it's sort of like the text message fiasco going on in Detroit with the mayor. No dead hookers though

thekad

Banned
reilo said:
The conservative position on sex education is that you DO NOT teach about contraceptives. The conservative position is that you ONLY teach abstinence - and it has been the Bush's position for many years. Not only that, but it has been Palin's position, too.

Oh, I know. But you are crazy if you think the Republicans are going to suddenly change their position. They live in their own reality. Remember Palin and her "foreign policy experience?"

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
BenjaminBirdie said:
You don't have to protect her, dude. There are scads of legitimate reasons to erupt in lul after lul about this decision without having to go to meaningless bullshit. I should know. I've been doing it for days now.
Exactly. All this stuff distracts from that actual question of John McCain as president and Sarah Palin as vice-president.

reilo

thekad said:
Oh, I know. But you are crazy if you think the Republicans are going to suddenly change their position. They live in their own reality. Remember Palin and her "foreign policy experience?"

I didn't say they would change their own position, just if brought up, her daughter would be example #1 why abstinence only programs DO NOT WORK.

Gruco

Banned
Link648099 said:
So lets compile a list of excuses:

what am I missing?
Missing:

Palin's has strong foreign policy knowledge because she lives in a state that is close to Russia.

The answer to all of your unanswered questions, of course, is "POW"

v1cious

Banned
soul creator said:

get to it, Hollywood

i see what you did there!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Well, it is obvious that Palin is too much of a distraction and looking at the polls, she is polarizing as well.

lexdysia said:
Michael Kinsley at Slate.com puts the governing question perfectly.

http://www.slate.com/id/2199029/
Correct, and its too early for the Repubs to lose their #1 argument against Obama. Things will resonate less and less as the election draws near.

I still feel, however, that all the Palin points are of interest in determining who will be in the most powerful position known to man.

Trakdown

BenjaminBirdie said:

Exactly. There's no need to swift-boat the lady, she's a horrible pick all of her own accord.

Gruco said:
Missing:

Palin's has strong foreign policy knowledge because she lives in a state that is close to Russia.

The answer to all of your unanswered questions, of course, is "POW"

14407c3.jpg

"Are you saying, 'Pahn'?"

reilo

CharlieDigital said:
Damn straight motherfucker! :lol

Science: It Works Bitches!

<rumble_rumble>Not ethanol based biodiesel</rumble _rumble>

Mumei

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/08/undecideds-dont.html

The headlines are about the broad polling reaction to Palin. But the most fascinating part of the first Rasmussen poll on the matter is how those who are currently undecided in the election feel. They, after all, are the votes both campaigns are trying to win over with their veep picks. The key data is in the cross-tabs, which have been missed in some of the coverage so far.

On the critical question, "With Palin As Vice-Presidential Nominee, Are You More Or Less Likely To Vote For McCain," there's a striking result. Among those already for McCain, 68 percent say it makes them more likely to vote for him; only 6 percent say less; and 23 percent said no impact. Among those already for Obama, Palin made only 9 percent of them more likely to switch to McCain, 59 percent less likely, and 30 percent said it would make no difference.

But among the critical undecideds, the Palin pick made only 6 percent more likely to vote for McCain; and it made 31 percent less likely to vote for him. 49 percent said it would have no impact, and 15 percent remained unsure. More to the point: among undecideds, 59 percent said Palin was unready to be president. Only 6 percent said she was. If the first criterion for any job is whether you're ready for it, this is a pretty major indictment of the first act of McCain's presidential leadership.

One other striking finding. If McCain thought he could present Palin as a moderate, he was wrong. A whopping 69 percent view her as conservative (37 percent as very conservative), and only 13 percent see her as moderate.

So, uh, with numbers like that, why is anyone worrying about her husband's DWI from nearly two and a half decades ago or the fact that her daughter is pregant?

Statement from Obama:

At a press availability in Monroe, Mich., Barack Obama said: "Back off these kinds of stories."

"I have said before and I will repeat again: People's families are off limits," Obama said. "And people's children are especially off-limits. This shouldn't be part of our politics. It has no relevance to Gov. Palin's performance as a governor or her potential performance as a vice president. So I would strongly urge people to back off these kinds of stories. You know my mother had me when she was 18, and how a family deals with issues and teenage children, that shouldn't be a topic of our politics."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom