• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Alaska may be closest to Russia but the part of Russia that's across the Bering Strait has nobody in it but Siberian nomads. Moscow, St. Petersburg, and everything else is all on the other side.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
soul creator said:
Election 2008: The Movie

Barack Obama: Will Smith
Michelle Obama: Angela Basset
Joe Biden: Ed Harris
Jill Biden: Helen Mirren
Hillary Clinton: Meryl Streep
Bill Clinton: George Clooney
Chelsea Clinton: Kate Hudson
John McCain: Clint Eastwood
Cindy McCain: Laura Linney
Sarah Palin: Tina Fey
Bristol Palin: Jamie Lynn Spears
Reverend Wright: Terrence Howard
Terry Macaullife: Robin Williams

get to it, Hollywood
Michael Hogan was born to play the role of John McCain in the eventual campaign movie.

michael-hogan-2.jpg

MoxManiac

Operations said:
"Alaska is the closest part of our continent to Russia, so it's not as if she doesn't understand what's at stake here"

LMAO

Yeah, it sounds like the kind of quote that would be fabricated in an onion article or something.

Gruco

Banned
Tamanon said:
It's Cindy McCain.

I'm just waiting for "If she can handle Mr and Mrs Snigglebottom at the PTA, she can handle Putin!"
This post is awesome, because of all the last names in the world, you went with "Snigglebottom"
Hitokage said:
Alaska may be closest to Russia but the part of Russia that's across the Bering Strait has nobody in it but Siberian nomads. Moscow, St. Petersburg, and everything else is all on the other side.
Wow. Somebody's an elitist. Why don't you take your fancy liberal "relevant points" elsewhere.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Hitokage said:

I think it's time to amend the Constitution and allow me to become VP, because I was born in Eastern Europe, hence I have more experience with Russia!

Trakdown

Operations said:
"Alaska is the closest part of our continent to Russia, so it's not as if she doesn't understand what's at stake here"

LMAO

Is it possible to fail harder than this?

Hey, I have immigration experience! I've lived in Southern Arizona most of my life!

besada

Banned
Hitokage said:
Alaska may be closest to Russia but the part of Russia that's across the Bering Strait has nobody in it but siberian nomads.

Son, we live in a world that has Commie nomads, and those Commie nomads have to be guarded by governors with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Barack Obama? Sarah Palin has a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom.

lexdysia

Banned
Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are officially out of jobs.

By the time their shows air, not only have all the jokes been told, they have already been beaten into the ground.

Mumei

Tamanon said:
And the funny thing is, that's based a lot on the first glance people have on her, just the personal story. I think this'll backfire pretty big on McCain.

Yeah, but the weird thing is that 69% viewed her as conservative (37% very conservative) after just that brief view. That's incredibly high for after just one or two days.

Tamanon

Banned
Dax01 said:
*sigh*

But what do we really know about you?

All I know is that the judgement shown by Reilo should be called into question for staying on a forum that was populated by known bigots and even a snakefucker.

lex: That's why they were glad to have Friday shows this past week, it allowed them to get ahead of the game!

Tamanon said:
It's Cindy McCain.

I'm just waiting for "If she can handle Mr and Mrs Snigglebottom at the PTA, she can handle Putin!"

As I said earlier hilarious but you do have to admire how Repbulicans can get in line so quickly with their talking points no matter how ridiculous they may be. They are very disciplined. If I was a reporter I would immediately ask what the hell does that Russia statement mean but they know they won't. This ranks right up there with the use of the phrase "time horizon".

JCreasy

numble said:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13050.html

At a press availability in Monroe, Mich., Barack Obama said: "Back off these kinds of stories."

"I have said before and I will repeat again: People's families are off limits," Obama said. "And people's children are especially off-limits. This shouldn't be part of politics. It has no relevance to Gov. Palin's performance as a governor and/or her potential performance as a vice president. So I would strongly urge people to back off these kinds of stories. You know my mother had me when she was 18, and how a family deals with issues and teenage children, that shouldn’t be a topic of our politics."

On charges that his campaign has stoked the story via liberal blogs:

"I am offended by that statement. There is no evidence at all that any of this involved us," he said. "Our people were not involved in any way in this, and they will not be. And if I thought there was somebody in my campaign who was involved in something like that, they would be fired."

Ok ok Barack, I hear you. I'll back off sir.

reilo

Gaborn said:
I'd assume that McCain's staff vetted her thoroughly, yes.

Even after reports that nobody from the McCain camp visited her hometown in Wissila to see what kind of job she did there?

lexdysia

Banned
Since virtually everyone was googling Palin on the day of the announcement, the MSM narrative doesn't play a big role. Their first impressions were based on Alaska's journalistic and governmental investigations.

First impressions are hard to erase.

reilo

lexdysia said:
Since virtually everyone was googling Palin on the day of the announcement, the MSM narrative doesn't play a big role. Their first impressions were based on Alaska's journalistic and governmental investigations.

First impressions are hard to erase.

And that poll up above have first impressions saying that they are 31% LESS likely to vote for McCain, and only 6% are MORE likely to vote for him.

Gaborn

reilo said:
Even after reports that nobody from the McCain camp visited her hometown in Wissila to see what kind of job she did there?

Considering the hysteria and frothiness of the Democrats at the moment "reports" are meaningless, let's hear it from the "unnamed sources" directly.

reilo

Gaborn said:
Considering the hysteria and frothiness of the Democrats at the moment "reports" are meaningless, let's hear it from the "unnamed sources" directly.

The reports came directly from the local Wissila newspaper?

Why are you defending this pick so hard?

FoneBone

reilo said:
there are also reports that the campaign has only now sent staff there to vet her.

Gaborn

reilo said:
The reports came directly from the local Wissila newspaper?

Why are you defending this pick so hard?

I'm not trying to defend the pick, I'm saying that there's a lot of irrationality around the pick on the Dems side. People are making all sorts of wild claims just to see what sticks and I'd put the "desperation pick" claim as part of it.

Stoney Mason said:
As I said earlier hilarious but you do have to admire how Repbulicans can get in line so quickly with their talking points no matter how ridiculous they may be. They are very disciplined. If I was a reporter I would immediately ask what the hell does that Russia statement mean but they know they won't. This ranks right up there with the use of the phrase "time horizon".

yeah, that was the first thing I thought of when I started seeing Republican surrogates on TV. They have an amazing ability to stay on message regardless of how inane that message is.

lexdysia

Banned
reilo said:
And that poll up above have first impressions saying that they are 31% LESS likely to vote for McCain, and only 6% are MORE likely to vote for him.

Exactly right, that's what I'm saying.

lexdysia

Banned
Gaborn said:
I'm not trying to defend the pick, I'm saying that there's a lot of irrationality around the pick on the Dems side. People are making all sorts of wild claims just to see what sticks and I'd put the "desperation pick" claim as part of it.

That's so meta and recursive, I think I just vetted a Palin.

reilo

Gaborn said:

So, she is not a:

Former mayor of a town of less than 8,000 which she left in $20mil debt and with less than 18 months of governor's experience in the smallest state in the nation with a population less than Obama's district, while simultaneously fiercely pro-Life, pro-Creationist, pro-Abstinence-only, and under an investigation for possibly illegally firing someone akin to something from the Bush administration that could get her impeached 5 days before the election?

She's none of that, huh?

Of more relevance:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/8/31/194716/193/154/581580\

both Obama and Biden were either co-sponsors of, voted for or drafted Katrina relief or oversight bills.

Biden was the sponsor of Senate amendment 1661, which was to provide emergency funding to victims of Katrina. The vote failed 41-56, with McCain voting against it.

McCain also voted against not one, not two (this one failed by three votes) but three other Democratic-introduced Senate amendments that would have brought much needed relief to Hurricane victims.

And yes, he voted against a bipartisan oversight commission to study the failings and recommend corrective measures to ensure that the next time will be better.

Gaborn said:
I'm not a McCain supporter.

Good to know, but I was using it in the most general case, not specifically you. I already know of your Libertarian leaning ways :lol

Dr. Richard Land, who is the President of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission on the Palin pregnancy matter.

"This is the pro-life choice. The fact that people will criticize her for this shows the astounding extent to which the secular critics of the pro-life movement just don't get it. Those who criticize the Palin family don't understand that we don't see babies as a punishment but as a blessing. Barack Obama said that if one of his daughters made a mistake and got pregnant out of wedlock he wouldn't want her to be punished with a child. Pro lifers don't see a child as punishment."

In 2006 Republican Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma attacking a rider for sex education funding within an abortion bill

"How many people really think it's in the best interest of young people to be sexually active outside of marriage? Does anything positive ever come from that?'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom