• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Heh, Wolf Blitzer responds to a guy commending Obama for his rejection of attacks against Palin's daughter with "but this will open a discussion about abstinence-only education."

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Hitokage said:
Heh, Wolf Blitzer responds to a guy commending Obama for his rejection of attacks against Palin's daughter with "but this will open a discussion about abstinence-only education."

I said something similar earlier:

reilo said:
I think the big issues with Palin's daughter being pregnant is that McCain's camp cannot use the traditional conservative position on sex: teach abstinence only and proclaim kids shouldn't have sex until they're married. It's guaranteed to work!

reilo

Laura Bush on the podium about to speak.

That's a lot of white people in the crowd...

adamsappel said:
I think she's going to bow out of the race.

I've been thinking that, too. But that would be such an unmitigated disaster for the Republicans and their grass-root activists I can't really see it happening. He's stuck between a boulder and a hard place.

Rugasuki

Hitokage said:

The Republicans can't be too happy about the coverage their convention is getting. All the discussion has been about the controversies surrounding their VP candidate rather than any message they are trying to push during the convention. It will be interesting to see if the Palin stories carry through the whole convention. This would be similar to if the Wright controversy came out during the Democratic convention. Though, the republicans have to take some of the blame by announcing a relatively little known VP candidate days before their convention.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
adamsappel said:
I think she's going to bow out of the race.

That would be fucking epic, and I would pay $$ to see the political fallout. I very much doubt it will happen though, as they will never recover from it.

Iksenpets

Banned
Incognito said:
There needs to be an underground campaign starting in Florida linking Palin to Pat Buchanan.

Also remind the Florida Jewish community that McCain snubbed Lieberman for... her?

her.gif

Gotta love the way wolf cut off the guy at the scene of a major NO levee that's about to give way so they could go live to Laura Bush's speech. MOST TRUSTED NAME IN NEWS!

reilo

Slurpy said:
That would be fucking epic, and I would pay $$ to see the political fallout. I very much doubt it will happen though, as they will never recover from it.

It would be a legal fuck-up. McCain would have to campaign with her name on the ballot, but then if he somehow managed to win the presidency, he would have to officially fire her and then go through a new VP nominating process.

Under those circumstances, wouldn't Congress have to approve the VP pick?

TDG

Banned
Slurpy said:
What the hell makes you think this is coming from the 'democrat attack machine'? This is just shit thats turning up because she just appeared out of nowhere, and journalists, bloggers, etc have just started to dig into her shit. There's been no official smear attacks from the democratic party.
By "democrat attack machine" I didn't mean that all of the smears were coming directly from the DNC, although I'm sure that behind the scenes they help bloggers find things and such.

reilo

Trakdown said:
Just out of curiousity, what would happen in the event she did bow out? McCain just picks someone else?

Legally he cannot after this week. He'd have to run with her name on the ballot.

Gary Whitta said:
Gotta love the way wolf cut off the guy at the scene of a major NO levee that's about to give way so they could go live to Laura Bush's speech. MOST TRUSTED NAME IN NEWS!

Yeah, I couldn't believe that. Really underscores how difficult this week is going to be.

reilo

You guys noticed that the CNN feed of the convention isn't even in HD?

reilo

Ventrue said:
Jesus Christ at the top stories on Digg. Someone has an agenda.

Wait, what?

By Matthew Mosk
ST. PAUL -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin began building clout in her state's political circles in part by serving as a director of an independent political group organized by the now embattled Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens.

Palin's name is listed on 2003 incorporation papers of the "Ted Stevens Excellence in Public Service, Inc.," a 527 group that could raise unlimited funds from corporate donors. The group was designed to serve as a political boot camp for Republican women in the state. She served as one of three directors until June 2005, when her name was replaced on state filings.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/01/palin_was_a_director_of_embatt.html

Laura Bush <3

I can't wait to see how this convention plays out with the public. I think it's a great idea in terms of coming together during a national crisis; obviously there's a political underlining for all this but at the end of the day it's going to do a lot of good for the people most effected by the storm.

PhoenixDark said:
Laura Bush <3

I can't wait to see how this convention plays out with the public. I think it's a great idea in terms of coming together during a national crisis; obviously there's a political underlining for all this but at the end of the day it's going to do a lot of good for the people most effected by the storm.
I definitely agree with the articles suggesting that in private GOP circles they are happy about the timing of this. They knew their convention was going to suck compared to the Dems, but now they have a great excuse for it sucking plus they get to keep the dual poisons of Bush and Cheney off the stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom