• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
polyh3dron said:
How the hell is the Republican convention going to compete with all this shit going on? It'll be real interesting to see.

No idea, Gustav was just enough to distract the news, now we have Baby/Tropper-Gate.
Gustav ended up being far less then expected, which makes me think the news will probably stop talking about it by Wednesday.

I'm glad the Baby-Gate moved to the other thread

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Dax01 said:
So I heard there are two more tropical depressions/hurricanes heading towards the U.S. after Gustav.

Is that true?

Looks like the US will be dealing with another one (Hannah) come Thurday/Friday.

Ike is way out there, it will be over a week till we might see that one.

Dax01 said:
So I heard there are two more tropical depressions/hurricanes heading towards the U.S. after Gustav.

Is that true?

Probably three-Hanna will likely make landfall on the southern atlantic shores by midweek as a Cat 1 or 2, Ike is already named on the way afterwards, and there is another wave expected to form the next TD sometime in the next 48 hours just off Africa.

Having conventions in the height of hurricane season is playing with fire.

Karish

I hate this. If Obama had released news like his daughter being preggers during Gustav the republicans would be calling it insensitive and that it could have waited.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Video of Andrea Mitchell talking about the vetting of Palin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peJOBMaFIRk

:lol :lol :lol :lol
:lol So much for being vetted before McCain made the pick.

Incognito said:

:lol
(from the article)
So, essentially, Sarah Palin put personal loyalty over the safety of the people of Wasilla, Alaska and got away with it.
Wow. And how is she a good choice for vice-president, McCain?

Fragamemnon said:
Probably three-Hanna will likely make landfall on the southern atlantic shores by midweek as a Cat 1 or 2, Ike is already named on the way afterwards, and there is another wave expected to form the next TD sometime in the next 48 hours just off Africa.

Having conventions in the height of hurricane season is playing with fire.

Suikoguy said:
Looks like the US will be dealing with another one (Hannah) come Thurday/Friday.

Ike is way out there, it will be over a week till we might see that one.
It looks like Hannah is going to come close to NC. Yikes.

GOP talking point

U.S. military returns control of Anbar to Iraqis

They are going to run with this point and tie Anbar to the surge. I'd argue the sieige of Fallujah 2004 had more to do with what is going on there than the Surge. The USMC typically persues a more aggressive campaign style than the Army. That isn't a Army v. Marine thing but, just how they operate doctrinally.

As to the Palin issue -

I've taken a few days to look at this things and this is my take.

I think Palin is an excellent choice for McCain for several reasons.

1. He doesn't have a problem with moderates and independents. He has problems with the social base. Her life story and policy statement are endearing to the GOP social base so to that point she was a good choice. People that were more "capable" were not well loved by the social base.

2. Makes his run historical. Americans like to be on the "side of history" Obama's campaign for a number of reasons is historic. He couldn't have just picked another white guy. Even it the narrative wasn't overt the message from the Dems would have been same old same. McCain needed to shake up the race and take some thunder.

3. She's young and attractive. It is what it is, but again this takes some of Obama's intangable quality from him. Looks matter and she helps him in that departement.

4. Do no harm, again to the groups of people McCain needed to bolster he did no harm as a matter of fact he is electrifying the base. These stories right now are without a doubt noise but, the people McCain is trying to attract does nothing. I think at the end of the GOP convention Obama and McCain will be neck and neck again. We won't see a pull from one direction to the next until after the debates.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Forgive me, but I must say I'm thoroughly enjoying seeing republican strategists/Mccain people being confronted and sweating at the collar. It's such an odd yet refreshing site to see. The theme of this campaign has been these people on the constant attack, with the democrats getting all the tough questions and having to always be on the defensive. I feel a little bad for Palin, but I'm fucking enjoying this. Finally seeing the cracks in the smugness and glibness of these tools.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I can't look at Palin without being reminded of soft serve ice cream. That hair :lol

Dax01 said:
g-cvr-080901-cindy-mccain-305p.grid-4x2.jpg

Found this on MSNBC's website. :lol Cindy looks so evil.
Does Laura Bush ever not look like a robot? Her lifelessness is confounding.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
re: the surge. I honestly am not too informed on it. what is some good reading on it and the effects it has and hasn't had?

lexdysia

Banned
Tommie Hu$tle said:
GOP talking point

They are going to run with this point and tie Anbar to the surge. I'd argue the sieige of Fallujah 2004 had more to do with what is going on there than the Surge. The USMC typically persues a more aggressive campaign style than the Army. That isn't a Army v. Marine thing but, just how they operate doctrinally.

As to the Palin issue -

1. He doesn't have a problem with moderates and independents. He has problems with the social base. Her life story and policy statement are endearing to the GOP social base so to that point she was a good choice. People that were more "capable" were not well loved by the social base.

2. Makes his run historical. Americans like to be on the "side of history" Obama's campaign for a number of reasons is historic. He couldn't have just picked another white guy. Even it the narrative wasn't overt the message from the Dems would have been same old same. McCain needed to shake up the race and take some thunder.

3. She's young and attractive. It is what it is, but again this takes some of Obama's intangable quality from him. Looks matter and she helps him in that departement.

4. Do no harm, again to the groups of people McCain needed to bolster he did no harm as a matter of fact he is electrifying the base. These stories right now are without a doubt noise but, the people McCain is trying to attract does nothing. I think at the end of the GOP convention Obama and McCain will be neck and neck again. We won't see a pull from one direction to the next until after the debates.

Con

Offends the intelligence of independents who lean to Obama over just one weekend.

Fragamemnon said:
the 50% mark is actually a big deal, especially in a poll with undecideds (7%). what this poll says is that EVEN IF 100% OF ALL UNDECIDEDS BREAK MCCAIN'S WAY, HE STILL LOSES THE NATIONAL VOTE (which, as everyone knows, has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on winning the presidency, that would be the EV). 50% in a national poll is, however, 'big news' for cable talkers.

(in side news... http://pollster.com/ has the dems at 260EV w/o new hampshire (4EV's) or colorado (9EV's - which would end up in a tie), http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/ has the dems at 297.9EV's, http://realclearpolitics.com/ has it either 273EV's for dems with no toss ups, or 228 with them, and http://www.electoral-vote.com/ has it at 278EV's for dems -- all of which mean more in terms of consequences than a national poll, 50% notwithstanding)

harSon

Banned
Oh that's not to say that this pick is not opportunistic and puts up signifigant risk but, anything that would have been the status quo would not have endeared him to the base which he needs right now. Nor would it have been more likely to put independents (if there is such a thing) in his camp. Obama nailed his convention and McCain's hand was forced to get a gamechanger.

I think McCain is looking to the debates to bring back Independents and I think he is willing to take a small hit on the Palin pick today and play to his strengths when he goes one on one with Obama.

I just spoke with my mom in Florida, a 63-year old mother of three, Reagan Democrat (who didn't vote for Bush) and three-times-a-week Baptist churchgoer who was horrified with the Palin pick and called it "cheesy" and "ridiculous".

Like me, she was a strong Hillary supporter in the primary, and she's voting Big O this November. I think whoever is doing the math in the McCain camp is working with a TI-83 in base 8 instead of base 10 and doesn't know it.

gkryhewy

Tommie Hu$tle said:
I think McCain is looking to the debates to bring back Independents and I think he is willing to take a small hit on the Palin pick today and play to his strengths when he goes one on one with Obama.

Are you joking?

Blakero said:
I hate this. If Obama had released news like his daughter being preggers during Gustav the republicans would be calling it insensitive and that it could have waited.

You are very right about that

Fragamemnon said:
I just spoke with my mom in Florida, a 63-year old mother of three, Reagan Democrat (who didn't vote for Bush) and three-times-a-week Baptist churchgoer who was horrified with the Palin pick and called it "cheesy" and "ridiculous".

Like me, she was a strong Hillary supporter in the primary, and she's voting Big O this November. I think whoever is doing the math in the McCain camp is working with a TI-83 in base 8 instead of base 10 and doesn't know it.

Hillary is pissed about the Palin pick and will be campaigning heavily that "women are not interchangeable."

Tommie Hu$tle said:
Oh that's not to say that this pick is not opportunistic and puts up signifigant risk but, anything that would have been the status quo would not have endeared him to the base which he needs right now. Nor would it have been more likely to put independents (if there is such a thing) in his camp. Obama nailed his convention and McCain's hand was forced to get a gamechanger.

Small hit? These Palin stories are going to run for weeks UNTIL the debates. This is disasterous. Obama's numbers could very well stay the same this entire time and instead of making up three points like he had to do last week, McCain could have to make up eight.

deadbeef

Fragamemnon said:

Isn't this pretty much like the guys in the Gaming forum that say, "I was at Gamestop and saw 3 people buy a PS3 and nobody bought a Wii. PS3 4 LYFE!" Sample size of 1 and all that.

So your mom was a Hillary supporter, a Democrat, and she thinks that McCain's VP choice was cheesy and ridiculous. (Kudos to your mom for using "cheesy"). Big surprise.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Alaskan politics is a mother fucker...

as to the transfer at Anbar, from what i gather the biggest turnaround in the region was due to the awakening councils formed by aggrieved Sunnis against AQI, which happened nearly two years ago and months before the official implementation of the surge.

Tommie Hu$tle said:
... play to his strengths when he goes one on one with Obama.

Obamanator will crush McCain in the debates. He's got a better grasp of every single important issue this election cycle. Plus, the man's a stud and Harvard Law graduate.

McCain will get an epic beatdown.

:lol

From an Eagle Forum Candidate Questionnaire:

Q: Are you offended by the phrase "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not?
PALIN: Not on your life. If it was good enough for the founding fathers, its good enough for me and I’ll fight in defense of our Pledge of Allegiance.

The phrase was added in 1954.

Haunted

Cloud said:
There can be no better proof that the white trash who are voting republicans are voting against their best interests. I had a discussion about this yesterday with some angry folks who were asking me to prove it. Well, there you go.
Yes!

Fragamemnon said:
There's a mounting volume of evidence-from the her yahoo answers-esque response for "what do vp do?????" to the latest news that she thought the flippin' Founding Fathers wrote the pledge of allegiance, to her debate performances that she just isn't the brighest bulb in the batch. On the other hand, there is very, very little that shows that she's the kind of person who is able to think quick on her feet or speak from the cuff eloquently or intelligently, two things normally associated with intelligent politicians.

I suppose there is the alternative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxBX8sz3tO8

LTTP, I was banned yesterday!

Obama is a PERFORMER, which is why he is fantasitc in front of a teleprompter. Off script, he is like Harrison Ford, who is probably the dullest interview on the planet.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
deadbeef said:
Isn't this pretty much like the guys in the Gaming forum that say, "I was at Gamestop and saw 3 people buy a PS3 and nobody bought a Wii. PS3 4 LYFE!" Sample size of 1 and all that.

So your mom was a Hillary supporter, a Democrat, and she thinks that McCain's VP choice was cheesy and ridiculous. (Kudos to your mom for using "cheesy"). Big surprise.

Don't fuck around man. Gahiggidy was right.

gkrykewy said:
Are you joking?

Nope, are you saying that McCain doesn't think he has any strengths? I think he believes that he can effectively debate with Obama. I think that he is looking at Obama's past debate performaces and thinking he can score points.

You have to take off the hopium colored lenses and look at this game stragetically. You can't just say Obama is awesome and unassaiable. You have to look at where the GOP is going to find a weakness and attack to that point. For most of this week they will be on defense doing an introduction of Palin and striking a careful tone with the Hurricanes. But once McCain gets on the stand it will be all talking points and that is what we will have to engage for the rest of the campaign.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Small hit? These Palin stories are going to run for weeks UNTIL the debates. This is disasterous. Obama's numbers could very well stay the same this entire time and instead of making up three points like he had to do last week, McCain could have to make up eight.

When I say small hit I'm speaking to the GOP. Do you think that the religious base gives a shit about this baby bit? If anything it makes them want to rally around her even more strongly. While normal world may look at this as a problem (and Obama needs to hammer the judgement issue) the GOP base is sipping the Jesus juice.

deadbeef said:

People post these anecdotal stories on all sides all the time.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Tommie Hu$tle said:
GOP talking point

As to the Palin issue -

McCain, has no problem with moderates and independents? Well, he does now!

The five-point post-convention jump is the biggest for a Democrat in the CBS poll since 1996 when Bill Clinton also saw a 5-point increase. It shows a big swing in independents. McCain had led with the group in the last poll by 12 percentage points, but now Obama leads with them by 7.

OOOPS

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/01/1322961.aspx

Suikoguy

Love To Love You Baby said:
Sorry if this has been posted - but some interesting decisions Palin made when she was mayor:

http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archives/2008/09/executive_experience.php

I love the first comment:

"You are forgetting the night raid she led as Commander in Chief of the Alaska National Guard to capture a pinned-down team of Navy Seals on the eastern tip of Russia who were trying to protect the genetic integrity of our moose population."

Mumei

Fragamemnon said:
Obama hits the 50% in USA/Gallup:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-09-01-poll-monday_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

The aggregate of the polling post convention and Palin says the same thing-less undecideds, and a clear shift to Obama. That 50% number should be sending out warning bells to the RNC donors-guys, it might be time to start funneling your money to the seats you can save in the Senate and House than it would to prop up McCain-he looks like a goner.

From that link:

On personal characteristics, Obama has eliminated McCain's advantage over him as "a strong and decisive leader." By 46%-44%, those surveyed say that characteristic applies more to Obama than McCain. Before the convention, McCain held an eight-point advantage. Obama has a 13-point advantage as someone who "shares your values," double the edge he held before the convention. He has an eight-point advantage as someone who is "honest and trustworthy; before the convention, they were ranked equally on that quality.

• On handling issues, Obama and McCain are rated equally in handling the situation in Iraq — 47% prefer Obama, 46% McCain — while McCain has a nine-point advantage in handling terrorism. That's significantly narrower margin than before the convention, when McCain had a 22-point lead. Obama has a 19-point lead in managing the economy.

• Obama has eased concerns about his level of experience, but they remain a significant factor. Now 50% of those surveyed say they are very or somewhat concerned about his experience. Before the convention, 57% were.

• McCain's favorable-unfavorable rating was 54%-38%, a healthy mark but his highest unfavorable this year. Obama's rating was 61%-32%.

Looks like the convention did even better for his numbers "behind the numbers," so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom