• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
deadbeef said:
Isn't this pretty much like the guys in the Gaming forum that say, "I was at Gamestop and saw 3 people buy a PS3 and nobody bought a Wii. PS3 4 LYFE!" Sample size of 1 and all that.

It's an anecdote, chill. As for my other comment in that post, it was more directed to Palin's disastrous, Dan Quayle esque polling numbers and gross miscalculation on the McCain's part.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
deadbeef said:
I don't know what this means.

King of anecdotal evidence fake Gaming Forum character makes numerous claims about mom and pop "Gamecube Hut" store saying that Wii was going to destroy everything.

Also has greatest gaming setup in history of universe.

rancor

Neo Member
g-cvr-080901-cindy-mccain-305p.grid-4x2.jpg

the joker and the owner of the local brothel.

deadbeef

Fragamemnon said:
It's an anecdote, chill. As for my other comment in that post, it was more directed to Palin's disastrous, Dan Quayle esque polling numbers and gross miscalculation on the McCain's part.

I wasn't trying to be ummm ... confrontational. I just meant that an anecdotal story is just that. My mom, who is traditionally Republican I think, has indicated that she will vote for Obama, which is interesting.

So there, there's my anecdotal story.

Some of the Obama numbers after the convention aren't really hugely surprising for me. It was a very effective convention I thought with some good drama and some good keynote speeches. I went back and even re-watched Obama's speech and it was even better the second time once I wasn't anticipating what he'd say which is closer to how most regular people watched it. In additional it was probably the first time a lot of people had really seen him make a big speech and in that regard it had to be impressive for people after 8 years of George Bush quality level speeches.

Who is the key note speaker tonight for the RNC btw?

reilo said:
McCain, has no problem with moderates and independents? Well, he does now!

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/01/1322961.aspx

Again I would ask you to look at that poll after the GOP finishes their convention. Right now the Dems are on a real high and they have an opportunity to improve the ground game even more than they have to date while the GOP hunkers down.

It depends on how the rest of this week plays out. I'm going to reserve judgement as to what is what until next Tuesday.

laserbeam

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Some of the Obama numbers after the convention aren't really hugely surprising for me. It was a very effective convention I thought with some good drama and some good keynote speeches. I went back and even re-watched Obama's speech and it was even better the second time once I wasn't anticipating what he'd say which is closer to how most regular people watched it. In additional it was probably the first time a lot of people had really seen him make a big speech and in that regard it had to impressive for people after 8 years of George Bush quality level speeches.

Who is the key note speaker tonight for the RNC btw?
RNC was cancelled for today. They opened the convention for official business then closed it for the day after appeals for financial aid for hurricane relief etc

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Tommie Hu$tle said:
Again I would ask you to look at that poll after the GOP finishes their convention. Right now the Dems are on a real high and they have an opportunity to improve the ground game even more than they have to date while the GOP hunkers down.

It depends on how the rest of this week plays out. I'm going to reserve judgement as to what is what until next Tuesday.

Eh, what? McCain introducing Palin as his VP was supposed to diminish what the Dems did last week, and instead it has BACKFIRED massively. Not only is the media shitting on Palin left and right, but independents and moderates are fleeing en masse.

laserbeam said:
RNC was cancelled for today. They opened the convention for official business then closed it for the day after appeals for financial aid for hurricane relief etc

Really? They are done for today?

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wait, you mean their collective four minutes is it for the day?
Guess so. The media is mainly talking about the hurricane right now, and with Bush not coming tonight... Yep, looks there is nothing else (major) happening with the RNC.

laserbeam

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Really? They are done for today?
http://portal.gopconvention2008.com/pressrelease/details.aspx?id=38
On Monday, all program activities beyond the official business that must be conducted in accordance with party rules will be cancelled. Among the other actions announced today are the formation of the Affected States Working Group, the establishment of an Affected States Information Center, and the chartering of a DC-9 to transport affected delegates.

gkryhewy

Tommie Hu$tle said:
Nope, are you saying that McCain doesn't think he has any strengths? I think he believes that he can effectively debate with Obama. I think that he is looking at Obama's past debate performaces and thinking he can score points.

I don't care what McCain thinks. You said Palin was a great pick because of X, Y, and Z. If those reasons are only valid in the candidate's own mind, then it is not a great pick. If the debates are McCain's best hope, then this election is over.

laserbeam said:
http://portal.gopconvention2008.com/pressrelease/details.aspx?id=38
On Monday, all program activities beyond the official business that must be conducted in accordance with party rules will be cancelled. Among the other actions announced today are the formation of the Affected States Working Group, the establishment of an Affected States Information Center, and the chartering of a DC-9 to transport affected delegates.

Thx for the link. I did not know that (said in Johnny Carson voice)

That kinda puts more pressure on the rest.

reilo said:
Eh, what? McCain introducing Palin as his VP was supposed to diminish what the Dems did last week, and instead it has BACKFIRED massively. Not only is the media shitting on Palin left and right, but independents and moderates are feeling en masse.

She was introduced on a the Friday before a three day weekend. I don't think there was any fire.

I think we can agree that the vetting process was very weak. I don't see a backfire just yet. I think most people are holding their breath and waiting for her to speak before they start unloading with both barrels. The daughter, while a delicious bit of irony, in the grand scheme of things is a non-issue. Most reasonable people are going to steer clear of that issue directly.

gkrykewy said:
I don't care what McCain thinks. You said Palin was a great pick because of X, Y, and Z. If those reasons are only valid in the candidate's own mind, then it is not a great pick. If the debates are McCain's best hope, then this election is over.

You should probably care more about what McCain thinks more than what I think. In the longer term I think it will hurt more than help but, for the short term gain that McCain is/was looking for I think it was a good pick. Could you name another VP canidate that would have helped him to gain more cred?

Tommie Hu$tle said:
She was introduced on a the Friday before a three day weekend. I don't think there was any fire.

I think we can agree that the vetting process was very weak. I don't see a backfire just yet. I think most people are holding their breath and waiting for her to speak before they start unloading with both barrels. The daughter, while a delicious bit of irony, in the grand scheme of things is a non-issue. Most reasonable people are going to steer clear of that issue directly.

What are you on about, dude? This whole train wreck is getting as much coverage as LITERALLY, a Hurricane!!

lexdysia

Banned
A three-day weekend where working people can Google her record ad nauseam, and be reminded minute-by-minute of Katrina and its consequences.

They can also receive text messages from Obama urging donations with a few pushes of a button while their RSS feed automatically brings the Palin stories to their desktop.

Yeah.

BenjaminBirdie said:
What are you on about, dude? This whole train wreck is getting as much coverage as LITERALLY, a Hurricane!!

I'm not saying people aren't talking about it. But do you think people are going to go direct to it? I don't think so, what I think is that once she has her speech that's when people are going to take her on about her POLICY positions (which are far more important).

Secondly, McCain may see a bump after his convention. For eveyone to look at the poll numbers from the Democratic conventions and proclaim it as gospel, WITHOUT a rebuttal from the GOP is unwise.

What one can conclude from from the poll numbers is that Obama was extremely effective in addressing America and by any measure you can consider him and the convention a runaway success.

Tommie Hu$tle said:
I'm not saying people aren't talking about it. But do you think people are going to go direct to it? I don't think so, what I think is that once she has her speech that's when people are going to take her on about her POLICY positions (which are far more important).

You're absolutely looking at this the wrong way and what the real damage here is. It has nothing to do with Palin's policies or even the controversy around it. It is about McCain's horrifically bad judgement. It's about blowing the convention's focus. It's about blowing the party's message. It's about putting someone improperly vetted so close to being president.

Tamanon said:
Arnold has already said he wouldn't make the convention because hanging around with this group of Republicans couldn't help him of state budgetary concerns.

To be honest though I thought that was just a ploy and he would show up to excite the crowd and make a speech.

gkryhewy

Tommie Hu$tle said:
You should probably care more about what McCain thinks more than what I think. In the longer term I think it will hurt more than help but, for the short term gain that McCain is/was looking for I think it was a good pick. Could you name another VP canidate that would have helped him to gain more cred?

Mike Huckabee would have given him the same benefits among evangelical nutters without any of this baggage, and without undercutting his experience argument to the same degree. The notion that Palin will be more attractive to moderates than Huckabee is being shown to not be the case.

gkrykewy said:
Mike Huckabee would have given him the same benefits among evangelical nutters without any of this baggage, and without undercutting his experience argument to the same degree. The notion that Palin will be more attractive to moderates than Huckabee would have been is being shown to not be the case.

Plus he'd have tons of direct regional appeal in a lot of states that are currently toss ups.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
gkrykewy said:
Mike Huckabee would have given him the same benefits among evangelical nutters without any of this baggage, and without undercutting his experience argument to the same degree. The notion that Palin will be more attractive to moderates than Huckabee is being shown to not be the case.

Yep, plus Huckabee seems likable.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
hey so later when i put my pajamas on and make some tea and put Ghostbusters in i think i might vet sarah palin

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Stoney Mason said:
Yeah but they still get hot and bothered because he has celebrity status.

Holy crap, it's so obvious.. why did I not think of that? :lol

BenjaminBirdie said:
You're absolutely looking at this the wrong way and what the real damage here is. It has nothing to do with Palin's policies or even the controversy around it. It is about McCain's horrifically bad judgement. It's about blowing the convention's focus. It's about blowing the party's message. It's about putting someone improperly vetted so close to being president.

Negative, I absolutely agree that that issue is about McCain's judgement. I also think that the Democrats need to hammer that point, they secondly need to speak about how traveled she is, I mean she is only been out of the country once.

The bigger story is that it generates noise that McCain doesn't need. I mean you have to look at the fact that McCain only met her once before offering the job. However, I think that McCain is more focused on getting cred with the base. Weather you agree or not I think that is the direction McCain is going.

gkrykewy said:

I believe that McCain staff believes they can make a play for Clinton's disaffected supporters. I don't agree but, I think that he is where he is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom