• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: 20 Trump electors could flip says law professor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNelson

Banned
Interestingly, I read today that more than 40 electors are asking to be briefed about the Russian hacking stuff.

It doesn't really matter, because unless all those faithless electors change their vote to Clinton, you'll just wind up with no winner, which goes to the House, who would almost certainly just choose Trump for fear of backlash.
Weren't those electors from states Clinton won?

USC-fan

Banned
Why do people keep saying "stealing" the election. It would not be "stealing" it, and a Democrat would not be put in office. Republicans control the House so they would get a Republican president, and Democrats would side with the more reasonable non-Trump option (probably Kasich, who has plenty of his own flaws, but is much better than Trump). So only a small portion of House Republicans would have to side against Trump to get someone else in.

beacuse that would it be at this point. No new information that came out about trump. People knew who exactly they were voting for.

Trump has even back down on some of the crazy stuff like going after Clinton to "lock her up."

People acting like trump doing everything by himselves. it the whole gop doing this. Stopping trump not going to stop the gop. Trump saved the gop this election now people like they will turn against him LOL

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I dont really know if its a pipe dream or not...

But it amazes me some ppl still think all this is about ppl upset the person they voted for lost.

......all this is way, way, way beyond winning and losing.....

Way, way beyond.

Way beyond.

When was the last time anything like this was talked about, hinted at? Bush vs Gore? Even then it was just about some possible issues with the votes in Fla.

Not trying to enact some rarely used parts of the the voting laws. Or politicians actually turning their back on their parties president elect.

This entire election has been one for the history books.

beacuse that would it be at this point. No new information that came out about trump. People knew who exactly they were voting for.

Trump has even back down on some of the crazy stuff like going after Clinton to "lock her up."

People acting like trump doing everything by himselves. it the whole gop doing this. Stopping trump not going to stop the gop. Trump saved the gop this election now people like they will turn against him LOL
I get the impression that not only did you refuse to read the very post you replied to, but that you still don't seem to understand why the electoral college exists.

Ashodin

Interestingly, I read today that more than 40 electors are asking to be briefed about the Russian hacking stuff.

It doesn't really matter, because unless all those faithless electors change their vote to Clinton, you'll just wind up with no winner, which goes to the House, who would almost certainly just choose Trump for fear of backlash.

At this point I'm hoping for secret defectors to Clinton just like the hidden surge Trump vote. No one said anything until it came time to vote and bam. There it is.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

If it went to the House, only 31 Republicans would need to support an alternative Republican candidate and the Democrats could make up the rest to form a majority. So even if 87% of the Republicans were too spineless to select someone else, a different person could still be selected.

Assuming a simple majority is required, I actually don't remember what kind of majority is needed.

Trump only had support from the fridge of the party, and the desperate. Much of the GOP establishment has stood against him and refused to endorse him. It's not a stretch for them to refuse him if given the opportunity.

New information is irrelevant. He's still incompetent and unqualified, and he is still surrounded by conflicts of interest. That alone is enough to stand against him, or get him impeached fairly quickly. This is exactly the sort of situation the electoral college was intended to protect us from.

KingBroly

Banned
If it went to the House, only 31 Republicans would need to support an alternative Republican candidate and the Democrats could make up the rest to form a majority. So even if 87% of the Republicans were too spineless to select someone else, a different person could still be selected.

Assuming a simple majority is required, I actually don't remember what kind of majority is needed.

If it went to the House, it'd be based on State Constituencies, not majority vote. So it'd be a vote of 50 (one vote per state), not 435. State Constituencies are all of the House Members of each state choose (by popular vote of those House members) who they're voting for. It's a complex system by design.

Now the Senate would choose the VP via a simple majority vote, but that would obviously be Pence since everybody in the GOP loves Pence and the GOP controls the Senate.

BUT I want to emphasize that going against Trump now at this stage by the GOP would cause an INSANE INSANE INSANE backlash against them for decades to come.

I'd like to see about 7-8 electors flip to get Trump under 300 EC votes, so it creates enough stir and helps educate more people about how our election process actually works.

And of course the side benefit would be seeing Trump have another Twitter Tantrum.

Too many people tune out of politics after Nov. election day. Trump will still be President but it would be nice to have more people learn about how election process and stay engaged.

Chumley

Banned
nah worst possible thing would be the people taking over government with force.

Stealing the election would start a war.

Why is it always the same people who say "Trump won, get over it" also say "The electoral college potentially doing what it is constitutionally allowed to do would start full blown war"?

Hmmmmm

Certainly couldn't be an effort to fear those uppity blacks and liberals into letting Republicans run all over our rights and accept THEM stealing the election via Putin. Nope. Not at all.

Ferrio

Banned

Still a small win IMO, anything to make people question the EC.

Chumley

Banned
this would be the worse possible thing to happen.

not like this....not like this smh

the people has spoken its time to move on.

Oh and this one is PRECIOUS.

The same constitution that allows the EC to override the ACTUAL voice of the people, the popular vote, is the same constitution that allows that same EC to be faithless.

Can we PLEASE stop with the fucking lies? The electoral college is the voice of the representative republic, not the voice of the people. We do not have a direct democracy, it's very far from that.

Going to need more.

The same constitution that allows the EC to override the ACTUAL voice of the people, the popular vote, is the same constitution that allows that same EC to be faithless.

Can we PLEASE stop with the fucking lies? The electoral college is the voice of the representative republic, not the voice of the people. We do not have a direct democracy, it's very far from that.

This is so true. It's not even "people have spoken" as Trump can't even claim a mandate for this election as he lost the actual popular votes by millions, the EC just undermines that.

USC-fan

Banned

that just not true. many states have laws against this.

29 states in fact has laws against fatihless electors. In some state faithless votes are not valid.

Just like with the recount will make it harder to do recounts with new laws and voter ID law going up everywhere.

Faithless elector laws are only going to get tougher.

Play right into the GOP playbook. Take the bait hook, line and stinker.

Some states have already starting to put in place new voter ID laws just because of the election recounts.

besada

Banned
Faithless elector laws are almost certainly unconstitutional, which I suspect we'll have verified pretty shortly.

MUnited83

For you.
this would be the worse possible thing to happen.

not like this....not like this smh

the people has spoken its time to move on.

The people has spoken and what they said was Clinton.

29 states in fact has laws against fatihless electors. In some state faithless votes are not valid.

Just like with the recount will make it harder to do recounts with new laws and voter ID law going up everywhere.

Faithless elector laws are only going to get tougher.

Play right into the GOP playbook. Take the bait hook, line and stinker.

Some states have already starting to put in place new voter ID laws just because of the election recounts.
Completely unconstitutional laws, yes.

Yeah, no. Trump won when no other republican had a chance. He could take a steaming hot shit on every single one of them and they'd take it. America is fucked.

There's not really much that can be "focused on" right now unless you count spamming Trump with mail asking him not to hire his chief of staff that he's already hired and isn't going to fire, and the point of the faithless Republican electors isn't to flip the election to a different President, it's to send a very loud and public vote of non-confidence about Trump's basic qualification for the job (even though he's going to be President) and also a warning shot from the GOP more generally that he needs them to continue being able to work without friction.

We're gonna get less than 5 faithless electors when all is said and done, it won't be a vote of non-confidence, it'll be all the more reason to make Trump and his supporters go ape-shit with conspiracy theories.

What I'm noticing more than "sending a message" is throngs of people mistakenly believing there's a real chance of this happening.

KingBroly

Banned
Faithless elector laws are almost certainly unconstitutional, which I suspect we'll have verified pretty shortly.

1952, Ray v. Blair is the Case Law

The only thing I'm unaware of is how certain states cast their votes and what can be done about faithless electors on the 19th.

BUT judging from what I know about the system, its legacy, and the electors themselves, people hoping for a change are in for a rough Christmas.

Ri'Orius

None of those laws have been tested by the Supreme Court. None of them would survive such a test.

Not to say that there'll be enough defectors, of course, but hopefully we'll at least get a chance to knock those laws off the books for precedent's sake.

ChouGoku

It is imperative that Democracy is done, you may say the cost this time is too high, until the system is flipped and your candidate loses. Trump will likely be awful but if he is not elected then I really fear for America
This isn't democracy, he lost the popular vote....

KingBroly

Banned

You all who think that 37-38 electors are going to flip really need to do your research on faithless electors in general and learn how rare they are.

Also Congress would just laugh it off and change it back anyway if it did happen. But they won't, because it won't be necessary.

The last faithless elector was an unknown vote in 2004 when an unknown elector voted for John Edwards instead of John Kerry in Minnesota.

EDIT: The United States of America is not a Democracy, but a Constitutional Representative Republic (obviously not as sexy or simple to say). Each individual state is a democracy sure, but as a country, we are not.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
this seems exactly like the fake news garbage that is everywhere these days, just wish shit into existence

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
You all who think that 37-38 electors are going to flip really need to do your research on faithless electors in general and learn how rare they are.

Also Congress would just laugh it off and change it back anyway if it did happen. But they won't, because it won't be necessary.

The last faithless elector was an unknown vote in 2004 when an unknown elector voted for John Edwards instead of John Kerry in Minnesota.

EDIT: The United States of America is not a Democracy, but a Constitutional Representative Republic (obviously not as sexy or simple to say). Each individual state is a democracy sure, but as a country, we are not.

Interesting that you say unknown there. If they can vote anonymously, faithlessness increases.

Metrotab

Banned
I honestly think that if the presidency is stolen from Trump, people are gonna get killed. This is a dangerous game people are playing. Faithless electors do not have the democratic mandate from the general public to change election results.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I honestly think that if the presidency is stolen from Trump, people are gonna get killed. This is a dangerous game people are playing. Faithless electors do not have the democratic mandate from the general public to change election results.

They do, actually. The Electoral College was established to prevent people like Trump taking office.

MUnited83

For you.

They literally do. It's the point of the entire system.

KDR_11k

Let's not forget that while the EC may be technically supposed to prevent Trump it is only tolerated these days because it has not gone against the vote.

If Democracy was done he wouldn't be elected. The US system is not a Democracy.
Electors doing their damn job to stop demagogues is also part of the US system, btw.

The US is a representative democracy with a pretty shitty election system but that doesn't make it not a democracy. The original Greek democracy gave each class a number of representatives and the lower class (which was the most numerous) got the fewest.

Metrotab

Banned
They do, actually. The Electoral College was established to prevent people like Trump taking office.

Dead letter, no precedent on this scale, and it doesn't align with the electoral expectations. Electors are supposed to vote based on their state results. They barely register as people.

Brakke

Banned
I can't wait for one of Lawrence Lessig's whacky schemes to actually pay off lol. Whatever else you can say about him, dude's got hustle.

Trump won by the rules that every candidate since Lincoln won on, he has more electoral college votes. Is that democratic? Depends on your point of view, should states vote's or individuals take precedance? In my view it should be the latter but nonetheless the situation it is what it is and infinitely more fair than any alternative. Who else is there, a career Republican hated by both sides? Fucking Hillary?

You have to take a long term view. America right now has a democracy, a flawed one, but pretty good nonetheless. If the electoral college betrayed the people, it wouldn't only be signing its own death warrant, but also that of the nation. Riots would happen, Democrats would be stigmatised for a generation, the constitution would be overhauled by the GOP and a far worse system be put in to satisfy their perverse agenda.

Which politician is better is ultimately subjective. It may seem clear the Dems are better, but remember, we can never prove it. Imagine in 20 years, another pivotal election, except this time the Dem candidate is Satan to half the country. What happens then when good is betrayed?

We must work through the system. Trust must be built. Dems need to give up this futile endeavour and work on showing they are the party of the people and not the elite.

This isn't helping.

Brakke

Banned

This appeal to "The Founders' Wisdom" is already so tired. Why privilege what a couple dudes intended their system to be over the thousands and thousands of people who rejected that vision in the hundreds of years since?

Trump won by the rules that every candidate since Lincoln won on, he has more electoral college votes. Is that democratic? Depends on your point of view, should states vote's or individuals take precedance? In my view it should be the latter but nonetheless the situation it is what it is and infinitely more fair than any alternative. Who else is there, a career Republican hated by both sides? Fucking Hillary?

You have to take a long term view. America right now has a democracy, a flawed one, but pretty good nonetheless. If the electoral college betrayed the people, it wouldn't only be signing its own death warrant, but also that of the nation. Riots would happen, Democrats would be stigmatised for a generation, the constitution would be overhauled by the GOP and a far worse system be put in to satisfy their perverse agenda.

Which politician is better is ultimately subjective. It may seem clear the Dems are better, but remember, we can never prove it. Imagine in 20 years, another pivotal election, except this time the Dem candidate is Satan to half the country. What happens then when good is betrayed?

We must work through the system. Trust must be built. Dems need to give up this futile endeavour and work on showing they are the party of the people and not the elite.

This isn't helping.

Would this be your point of view if the president-elect campaigned mostly on scapegoating people who looked like you?

Poona

Hopefully it's a success and more come on board. Make the electoral college show that there's a reason for them existing to prevent demagogues (and his crazy cabinet picks, etc).

KDR_11k

This appeal to "The Founders' Wisdom" is already so tired. Why privilege what a couple dudes intended their system to be over the thousands and thousands of people who rejected that vision in the hundreds of years since?

Because that's the American Way. Appeals to the founders and the sanctity of the constitution are very American.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom