• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints |OT2| Signed and Numbered Edition of 20000

Risible

I have them use acid free backing, spacers, and museum glass. I just don't do matting.

Then you are perfectly fine. The mat is either aesthetic or to keep the print off the glass, and you're already keeping the print off the glass with the spacers so you're fine.

LaneDS

Mat vs. no mat totally depends on the print for me.

Since I'm keen on sharing pictures, I'll snap some later when I'm home. I'd say more of my stuff has no mat (usually cheaper since all my matted stuff is custom framed) but it's kind of close.

Basically I'm saying more people should share pictures of their favorite stuff, especially during our quieter moments.

omgkitty

Since I'm keen on sharing pictures, I'll snap some later when I'm home. I'd say more of my stuff has no mat (usually cheaper since all my matted stuff is custom framed) but it's kind of close.

Basically I'm saying more people should share pictures of their favorite stuff, especially during our quieter moments.

Yeah I think it depends on the print. Some prints have it naturally built in, like most of Stout's prints.

Browny

Banned

Can I share a photo of my next 6 months?

EJbRxMZ.jpg

Also, loving the framing over the past couple of pages.

LaneDS

Can I share a photo of my next 6 months?

Also, loving the framing over the past couple of pages.

Haha man, that is accurate except for me those tubes are like my "never getting framed/why did I buy these?" category. My closet is a mess. Anyway, what are those prints?

Unrelated question: did anyone who ordered from Mondo's Black Friday have their stuff ship yet? Just occurred to me that mine hasn't, although the FAQ mentioned they might not ship by then.

Browny

Banned
Haha man, that is accurate except for me those tubes are like my "never getting framed/why did I buy these?" category. My closet is a mess. Anyway, what are those prints?

Off the top of my head (that's clearly not the best way to start that sentence, is it?)-

• Matt Ferguson Cap A and Thor
  • Matt F Indy Trilogy
  • Matt F Imperator
  • T-70 X-wing and Ronin from HCG
  • Whalen GOTG
  • One of DeGraff's Paths.

The other two Paths plus the Blade Runner from a couple of pages back are in transit. I'm probably going to get some Crystal Clear sheaths and cardboard and spacers in the new year. Ronin is going straight up though.

Unrelated question: did anyone who ordered from Mondo's Black Friday have their stuff ship yet? Just occurred to me that mine hasn't, although the FAQ mentioned they might not ship by then.
What did you bag?

Risible

Quoted for posterity. Never have truer words been spoken.

"These posters are ART."
"How are they different than other posters? Like the $12 ones."
"Well, they're printed on better paper. And they make less of them."
"So because they make less of them you pay more for them?"
"Shut up."

I took delivery of the Secret Panel Mike Allred print yesterday...which is really impressive shipping times given it was over the holidays and I'm in the UK! It's an excellent print, I can't wait to get it framed, but it may have to join the lengthy queue with the many others that need framed.

b3b0p

I am going though my backlog of tubes lately.

b3b0p said:

I have more. I plan to do a few per day. More coming later today maybe.

LaneDS

I swap out prints so much I don't usually go for mats. I do have a few that have them but not used very often.

To me, these frames may as well be sealed containers that will never be opened. Honestly, I should dry mount more stuff than I do with that in mind.

A couple weeks ago I bought the DD regular and the Spider-Man variant at Mondo and just framed this weekend.
I decided to try out a Spotlight Displays 24 x 36 frame that opens up in the front and love it. Plus since it gives me the ability to store about 4 posters in there, I can rotate them out whenever I want.
For the Spider-Man one I was little less ambitious to start out. The poster isnt a standard size so I figured I'd just use an old ikea frame I bought some years ago in case I ever wanted to use it. It did need matting and I didn't wanna fuck it up too bad so I went to Hobby Lobby. The guy who put it together was a big Mondo fan and does framing for people in the community and has ~20 years of experience and was a total pro. He hooked me up with some museum glass so the print looks phenomenal. Too bad I was cheap with the frame initially because the glass and the matting are A++

LaneDS

Like those both, nice job!

I should spring for museum glass more but man on bigger, matted pieces it's so freaking expensive.

Meier

Beautiful Iron Giant above. I still have one that I am willing to trade for those who are interested.. looking to get Moss' Mononoke, Spirited Away and/or Howl's Moving Castle from him (have Totoro). If anyone is interested, let me know.

We did some kitty-sitting over the holiday break so I had to secure my prints which made me do some rearranging. I noticed that there were multiple pieces in the packaging for the Bruce Yan "Link" woodcut style 5x5 Bottleneck released last year and it turned out I had an additional printer's proof of it behind and a fun little Raichu as well. Thanks Josh for the throwing in a little extra without me realizing it!

mjc

So is it ok to keep prints rolled up in tubes for extended periods? Or does that deteriorate the structure? I've seen pics of people who have horizontal racks to lay out and cover their stuff, but that's awfully dependent on having room for that.

So is it ok to keep prints rolled up in tubes for extended periods? Or does that deteriorate the structure? I've seen pics of people who have horizontal racks to lay out and cover their stuff, but that's awfully dependent on having room for that.

Flat art should be stored flat.

My father-in-law (who was a professional art conservator) recommended using a divided artist portfolio.

I use this one: http://www.michaels.com/artists-loft-studio-portfolio/M10472489.html

It has been working great so far.

IronRinn

Happy new year, Fancy-PosterGAF. Hope everyone's holidays were good. Here's some actual print news:

Bottleneck will be having a lottery for David Welker's "Phish: New Year's Run at Madison Square Garden" tomorrow, Tuesday, January 5th from 12pm - 3pm ET.

phishnye_grande.jpg

14" x 20", 3 layer letterpress on Neenha stock, edition of 950 (Bottleneck has 35 to sell), $60

Rules:

You can enter the lotto from 12pm-3pm eastern by getting a free ticket on our homepage.
Only 1 entry per person/household
All winners will be notified via email at the close of lottery around 3:30pm eastern.
Winners must pay within two hours of receiving the email. If we don't receive payment, we will pick the next person on the list

Peep the very first post, details on storage in there.

Get yourself some foam core and glassine sheets.

Then try and find a flat file.

Man, I have so much stuff I need to frame. My pool table is pretty much a print flattening station right now. I think I'll start off with my Danger prints and go from there. I've got where do you go, lock and key, Fenway park, and his Lost print (new pickup, thanks mom and dad) to frame.

The framed DDs posted here look great! I'll post mine up once I get them framed.

Next paycheck I'm getting two 18x24 spotlight displays frames. Too many good prints to pass up.

Then I'll be able to buy the Craftsman WPA posters without lacking a place to show them off.

What do y'all do when you get odd dimensions on your posters? I have some that are like 20 x 30, or 12 x 36. Do you just mat them?

Does anybody know where I could get Henry Clive prints besides ebay? I really wanna pick up this one

Like those both, nice job!

I should spring for museum glass more but man on bigger, matted pieces it's so freaking expensive.
Yeah Im glad I got hooked up because I did not really want to pay 130+ to get double matting and museum glass...

Nice frame ups man. Especially the Daredevil.

Thank you!

Beautiful Iron Giant above. I still have one that I am willing to trade for those who are interested.. looking to get Moss' Mononoke, Spirited Away and/or Howl's Moving Castle from him (have Totoro). If anyone is interested, let me know.

We did some kitty-sitting over the holiday break so I had to secure my prints which made me do some rearranging. I noticed that there were multiple pieces in the packaging for the Bruce Yan "Link" woodcut style 5x5 Bottleneck released last year and it turned out I had an additional printer's proof of it behind and a fun little Raichu as well. Thanks Josh for the throwing in a little extra without me realizing it!
You're in Austin right? There's a trading scene here. I believe there is a facebook group I was told about recently.

IronRinn

Available tomorrow, Thursday, January 7th on Mondo:

The Dark Knight by Laurent Durieux. 24"x36" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 425. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $60

The Dark Knight (Variant) by Laurent Durieux. 36"x24" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 225. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $90

The Joker by Mike Mitchell. 12"x16" giclee. Hand numbered. Timed-edition available for purchase until Saturday, January 9th at 11:59PM CST. Printed by Static Medium. $55

Meier

You're in Austin right? There's a trading scene here. I believe there is a facebook group I was told about recently.

I might have to look into it -- that'd be a lot easier! I joined the Mondo Trader group some months back and it's a pretty good follow. Haven't done any transactions though.

That Durieux is gonna be a blood bath I bet.

Browny

Banned
That Durieux is really nice, but yeah that's going to be a brutal drop. I can justify not even bothering, I don't need another 24x36.

I may have a look, who am I kidding.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
That landscape variant is garbage. They chopped out a third of the original image, left out various elements, and charged an extra $30. Variants are already sometimes a scummy cash-grab, and this is one of the worst I've seen.

IronRinn

Yeah, I think the winner is the regular. That said it's kind of a boring image regardless of which version you get. I love Durieux's work, but this one does nothing for me.

LaneDS

I feel like most Batman pieces are sadly pretty boring. Don't much care for the Moss one from years back, and don't care for this one, and love both of those dudes in general.

Velcoro

That landscape variant is garbage. They chopped out a third of the original image, left out various elements, and charged an extra $30. Variants are already sometimes a scummy cash-grab, and this is one of the worst I've seen.

For sure it's disappointing. Might try and get a reg but I won't be too upset if I miss out on this one.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Ansin's '66 is fantastic.

For the Nolan Batman films, I think Tong's Batman Begins variant is the best of the bunch. It's a super clever print and speaks directly to Bruce's journey in Begins. A credit block would make this an instant-frame piece for me:
397512_10152835187157871_1879603520633884863_n.jpg

Gabz star wars arrived today, looks great in person and I'll definitely frame it
some day :(

Also, that dark Knight is disappointing, but most batman prints are, other than the ansin, which I own of course! Sad, because I'm obsessed with batman.

Ansin's '66 is fantastic.

For the Nolan Batman films, I think Tong's Batman Begins variant is the best of the bunch. It's a super clever print and speaks directly to Bruce's journey in Begins. A credit block would make this an instant-frame piece for me:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one to like credit blocks in my prints.

Luderico

The TDK. Not a favorite. Saw it first on my phone. Didnt even think of Durieux. Thought it was just a fan piece.
And the variant. No words for this.

Love the Ansin and Tong.

LaneDS

After my last post I dug through a few pages on EB looking for Batman stuff to prove me wrong, and while I didn't find anything both of the ones above are pretty good (and I'm sure there are others).

Risible

Glad to hear I'm not the only one to like credit blocks in my prints.

I'm the same way. I like some "art" prints (notably a huge Danger fan) but my real passion is movie prints that look like they could be actual movie posters. That's my jam. Without a credit block they just seem like merchandise rather than art. I know that's a weird distinction to make.

Top Bottom