• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints |OT2| Signed and Numbered Edition of 20000

ngower

I knew this was coming today but am working so was trying to keep tabs throughout the day. I missed the announcement by thirteen minutes and it was gone. Apparently sold out in under a minute. I get what Mondo are doing, I like their work, but COME ON! If something sells out in under a minute, you could very easily print more or do a second pressing. I know they won't, but this is kinda frustrating. I want to give them money, they don't want it.

[EDIT] Death is coming.

ngower

Are you both referring to second-hand markets or will Mondo release prints at a later date?

I'm not paying $150 for a poster anyways, but around $75 for the green is about where I'd start to say "this is ridiculous" and just give up.

I have a Malick tattoo. I'm a huge fan of his films. I really want this poster. WHY CANT MONDO JUST PRINT LIKE 200 MORE INITIALLY?!

IronRinn

Are you both referring to second-hand markets or will Mondo release prints at a later date?

I'm not paying $150 for a poster anyways, but around $75 for the green is about where I'd start to say "this is ridiculous" and just give up.

I have a Malick tattoo. I'm a huge fan of his films. I really want this poster. WHY CANT MONDO JUST PRINT LIKE 200 MORE INITIALLY?!

They're referring to the aftermarket. In a few months you will probably be able to find people selling it for cost. It's a great print, but it's not for a movie with wide-ranging appeal.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
They're talking about the aftermarket. Mondo isn't going to be selling these again unless it's part of a flat-file sale. I'd also hold out for the APs (Artist Proof copies) to go on sale. I think PostersandToys.com handles them?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Postersandtoys handled The Graduate APs, so I think Mitch will handle Thin Red Line as well.

ngower

Good to know. I'll keep checking out the aftermarket...holding out a thin sliver of hope.

My point with printing more was simply that how limited the posters are entices scalpers more so than if they were printing like 500-1000.

They're talking about the aftermarket. Mondo isn't going to be selling these again unless it's part of a flat-file sale. I'd also hold out for the APs (Artist Proof copies) to go on sale. I think PostersandToys.com handles them?

How reliable is this site? Cause they have the Graduate poster (from the same designer as TTRL one, no less) and me want.

Mondo does exactly what Nike does with the Air Jordan releases, make them very limited to always continue the hype and exclusivity of them when they could easily just double/triple the prints, they're just prints not hand drawn. It's a dirty game but as long as they keep selling out they won't ever stop.

I was lucky to grab the green version for TTRL, felt it captured the mood of the movie more than the red, and it was just more pleasing to my eye. Really excited to see the next mondo Terrence Malick release. Up to this point, the mondo Badlands was my favorite poster

How reliable is this site? Cause they have the Graduate poster (from the same designer as TTRL one, no less) and me want.

It's run by Mitch, who works at Mondo. He sells the artists personal copies. I bought a graduate variant from there.

Mitch is good people. Good Midwestern stock.

Rinemie

Neo Member
Is anyone still waiting for their Gabz Star Wars? My tracking still says
January 14, 2016
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS

ngower

It's run by Mitch, who works at Mondo. He sells the artists personal copies. I bought a graduate variant from there.

Mitch is good people. Good Midwestern stock.

It has been done. The Graduate poster is mine.

I sold a game this morning for $60 to get some cash for groceries. And now I spent it on a poster. Help.

P.S. While I'm at it, any recommendations on wood/glass frames? Those plastic ones you get at Target or wherever suuuccckkk. I know craft stores always have sale coupons but not sure how reliable their frames are. I assume you lot have a good idea as to where to get reliable and affordable frames?

[EDIT] Reading through the first post, just looking for personal recs as well.

IronRinn

January 14, 2016

It's my understanding that they're working on the last batch of 800 prints is in the process of going out (the number of copies of this print they sold is in-fucking-sane). The post office they use, on a good day, is pretty shit for scanning labels so I'm sure they are not even trying with these. It will probably look like that until is shows up at your door.

Sushigod7

I got my tracking info back in December and haven't gotten mine yet

Reg or Variant? They said in one of the updates they were running labels to get tubes ready so when prints arrived they could work faster. Hence why tracking emails went out and they aren't scanned yet.

I'm always pleased to come to this thread and see people answering questions instead of berating someone for not already knowing.

January 14, 2016

Same here, tracking has not updated since 12/29

Got my Star Wars (regular) last month with no issues.

My Attack the Block print on the other hand apparently made some detours in France and then Canada before getting to me over a month late. I finally got it yesterday.

Rinemie

Neo Member
From all of their updates, it just seems like everything was in good progress. I keep reading things were shipping but they actually weren't. I'd just be happy for it to show up on my doorstep.

IronRinn

From EB (these are all from today):

Joey McBottleneck said:
All variants were shipped yesterday.

Joey McBottleneck said:
only so much a screen printer can print in a certain time. The high 30000 and 31000 order numbers will be out soon. We promise. 3,000 prints have already left the door.

Joey McBottleneck said:
Just spoke with DL...last batch of prints are shipping tomorrow and will be here next week :p

Think I mentioned it earlier but learned a couple things with this release that will def help out, especially with earlier orders.

Official shipping updates on their site.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Those Field Notes books are up on Mondo.

9wabUcT.jpg

Figure they'd be a good stocking stuffer down the line.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
How is it that postersandtoys can sell mondo prints?

they sell the artist copies of the prints on behalf of the artists. Usually you'll see them sold closer to secondary market value, though with a small discount.

it's a little weird since the guy who runs it is part of Mondo too... but *shrug*

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
How is it that postersandtoys can sell mondo prints?

Mitch Putnam runs PostersandToys and is a member of Mondo. Also, the copies are Artists' Proofs copies, so technically artists can sell them however they want.

Filthy Slug

That makes sense, some good deals there for those who missed out on stuff

Definitely a good post-drop option. Just keep in mind that sometimes AP copies are priced closer to market value, making them more expensive than the original drop price.

Risible

It's not a super popular movie. The price will settle out soon enough. I wouldn't worry. People snatch them up in the hopes of making money, and once they realize that it's not going for big bucks they drop it down to cost to get rid of it.

LaneDS

How long has expressobeans had their 2015 awards up for? Saw Durieux mention it and enjoyed looking through what folks liked last year. Eng Ico was fifteenth best art print of the year which was cool to see, along with my recent favorite Danger "Where Do You Go When You Go?" up there too.

How long has expressobeans had their 2015 awards up for? Saw Durieux mention it and enjoyed looking through what folks liked last year. Eng Ico was fifteenth best art print of the year which was cool to see, along with my recent favorite Danger "Where Do You Go When You Go?" up there too.
Been up a few days. I never put too much stock in positions after #1 since it only counts first place votes. If it asked you to pick a top 10 and #1 got 10 points, #2 got 9, etc. , that would be good.

I put ICO #1.

LaneDS

Been up a few days. I never put too much stock in positions after #1 since it only counts first place votes. If it asked you to pick a top 10 and #1 got 10 points, #2 got 9, etc. , that would be good.

I put ICO #1.

Ah, boo that it works that way. Nice that you gave ICO the nod though... definitely surprised me to see it so high up on the list.

ngower

Reading through the OP for framing and various blogs, subreddits, etc and holy hell this is opening up a new world of confusion.

I grasp the basics (UV glass, acid free backing, spacers, no dry mount) but I'm wondering if there's any reason to avoid glass in favor of a more acrylic/plexi solution as far as damage to the print? I move a lot and things tend to drop from my walls with alarming regularity (crappy apartment drywall) so I don't want to invest in nice glass only to have it break within a year.

Also, is there a general price range I should be looking at? There's a framer right up the street from me and I want to go in for a quote, but want to make sure I'm not getting totally screwed over. I might DIY this few frames but I also don't want to mess up anything.

IronRinn

Reading through the OP for framing and various blogs, subreddits, etc and holy hell this is opening up a new world of confusion.

I grasp the basics (UV glass, acid free backing, spacers, no dry mount) but I'm wondering if there's any reason to avoid glass in favor of a more acrylic/plexi solution as far as damage to the print? I move a lot and things tend to drop from my walls with alarming regularity (crappy apartment drywall) so I don't want to invest in nice glass only to have it break within a year.

Also, is there a general price range I should be looking at? There's a framer right up the street from me and I want to go in for a quote, but want to make sure I'm not getting totally screwed over. I might DIY this few frames but I also don't want to mess up anything.
Acrylic is what most places use now and it has a bunch of advantages not least of which are shatter resistance and weight. It used to be an issue where glass had better clarity but that gap has almost entirely been closed at this point.

As for price it can be all over the place. I have a framer by me who I refuse to go to because their prices are exorbitant. Frankly, I would be interested in knowing more about this as well, so my informal survey for the thread: If you have used a framer how much did you pay for either an 18" x 24" or 24" x 36"? I know some of you lucky bastards have gone to Framing Devil, so don't hold out on us!

Edit: Also, frames from a place like Frame Destination are made to be really easy to put together, so don't worry too much about that.

IronRinn

Today, Friday, January 22nd at 12pm ET on Bottleneck: A bunch of very limited AJ Masthay "The Dean Ween Group" gig prints:

5 color, 12.25" x 23" linoleum block print. Signed and numbered AP edition of 15, $35.00

"Sparkle Foil" Signed and numbered edition of 5, $85

"Lava Foil" Signed and numbered edition of 2, $85

"Diamond Variant" Signed and numbered edition of 4, $85

No title? Signed and numbered edition of 7, $85

"Black Onyx" Signed and numbered edition of 2, $85

"Pillar Foil" Signed and numbered edition of 2, $85

And then over at PinPinz at 12pm ET they are releasing 150 of what I must begrudgingly admit is a pretty all right pin:

Top Bottom