• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints |OT2| Signed and Numbered Edition of 20000

I'd all but given up on ever getting that Tenenbaums. DD got all my money.

I was hoping to hang the Evil Dead, but it scares the crap out of my kids so it's gonna have to wait a few years.

IronRinn

I'd all but given up on ever getting that Tenenbaums. DD got all my money.

I was hoping to hang the Evil Dead, but it scares the crap out of my kids so it's gonna have to wait a few years.
OR, or...it keeps them in line. Think about it. Don't want to eat your vegetables? Fine. Evil Dead is hanging in your room for the night.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
DD took all my money during that sale, too.

Fuck that guy.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Everybody share the horrors DD has done to your wallet.

Acrylic is what most places use now and it has a bunch of advantages not least of which are shatter resistance and weight. It used to be an issue where glass had better clarity but that gap has almost entirely been closed at this point.

As for price it can be all over the place. I have a framer by me who I refuse to go to because their prices are exorbitant. Frankly, I would be interested in knowing more about this as well, so my informal survey for the thread: If you have used a framer how much did you pay for either an 18" x 24" or 24" x 36"? I know some of you lucky bastard have gone to Framing Devil, so don't hold out on us!

Edit: Also, frames from a place like Frame Destination are made to be really easy to put together, so don't worry too much about that.

I also have framing questions, I always get confused on what's worth getting in terms of material, gap, UV stuff...

IronRinn

I also have framing questions, I always get confused on what's worth getting in terms of material, gap, UV stuff...

The easiest way to put successful framing is A) you want it to show off your art in a way you find aesthetically pleasing and B) after you're dead and it comes time for your kids to sell the art that broke up their parents' marriage, or you need more print money, or you need to flee the country you want to be able to remove the art as easily as possible and have it be in more or less the same condition that it was when it was put in the frame. So UV protection and acid free materials are a must. Keeping the art off the glass/acrylic and allowing it room to expand and contract are also important for long term display. If you switch prints out regularly this is not as necessary.

The easiest way to put successful framing is A) you want it to show off your art in a way you find aesthetically pleasing and B) after you're dead and it comes time for your kids to sell the art that broke up their parents' marriage, or you need more print money, or you need to flee the country you want to be able to remove the art as easily as possible and have it be in more or less the same condition that it was when it was put in the frame. So UV protection and acid free materials are a must. Keeping the art off the glass/acrylic and allowing it room to expand and contract are also important for long term display. If you switch prints out regularly this is not as necessary.

I've only bought two prints, they're glass, have the gap and paid extra for the UV, because I don't plan on switching them out and want them to last. Good to know I made the right choice.

Now to figure out where the hell to put this new print coming soon in my apartment, wall space is limited as is and I don't know how my girlfriend is going to feel seeing these prints everywhere on the walls

Filthy Slug

Whenever I want to frame stuff myself I just remember this helpful jingle from American Frame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih9krHe5HzI

It's not really bad compared to some of you guys, but here it is.

Where do you go - $40
Fenway - $200
Lock and Key - $100
Lost Black Rock - $0, gift from parents. No idea how much they paid for it.

Nice haul! I also picked up Lock and Key and it's fucking phenomenal. I'll see if I can grab a photo of it.

Risible

Haul post! I got some good stuff recently.
20160122_070652_zpsvbyb9cob.jpg
]

That Evil Dead is bitchin'.

Risible

While we're on the subject of DD, can I just herald one of his pieces that I absolutely fucking adore? I've never listened to Subatomic Pieces but I bought this because the art is so, so good. I have a few more concert posters for artists I don't know due to the fact that they have DD art (Pinback, Nada Surf, and others).

EBI-65339.jpg

Filthy Slug

Well, I think we've now got enough members for a Daniel Danger support group.

E: Risible, do you have the Pinback with the streetlight and patterned sky? This one:
pinback-2.jpg

I picked it up for cheap and it's so damn good.

IronRinn

I don't think I've ever seen either of those. They are fantastic!

I've only bought two prints, they're glass, have the gap and paid extra for the UV, because I don't plan on switching them out and want them to last. Good to know I made the right choice.

Now to figure out where the hell to put this new print coming soon in my apartment, wall space is limited as is and I don't know how my girlfriend is going to feel seeing these prints everywhere on the walls
You have made all the right choices thus far, but your most perilous choice might still lie ahead.

Filthy Slug

I don't think I've ever seen either of those. They are fantastic!

I'll see if I can get a pic of the pinback too (it may be lost in a pile of tubes) but it's the first time I've seen Danger use a layer of pattern (kind of like how Sperry does it) and it came out interesting. It's not the best screenprinting job, but it's still nice and a cool little DD art tangent.

Risible

Well, I think we've now got enough members for a Daniel Danger support group.

E: Risible, do you have the Pinback with the streetlight and patterned sky? This one:
pinback-2.jpg

I picked it up for cheap and it's so damn good.

No, sadly, as that's beautiful. I have the one with the guy in the field which is also cool. This one:

danger-Information-Retrieved-1.jpg

It was a Pinback album cover I believe.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
With all this Danger talk I was curious how many prints I have of his (I've never really counted) and so I checked EB and I have 12 DD prints and a paper lantern. :\

Filthy Slug

Another of DD's a bought even though I have no clue about the subject matter, just loved the art:

Ris, holy shit, I love that. If you ever want to sell that piece, PM me and I will throw money or prints at you. And hugs.

IronRinn

With all this Danger talk I was curious how many prints I have of his (I've never really counted) and so I checked EB and I have 12 DD prints and a paper lantern. :\
I've sold off a few and still have 10. The only artist whose work I own more of is Mitchell (dem birds).

Edit: And Scott Campbell.

LaneDS

I especially like how the colors came out on that bottom print there.

Edit: oh hey there new page of posts. This is in regards to Blingaling's stuff.

Edit 2: THIS PAGE IS THE BEST (I hadn't seen most of the above DD pieces either)

ohkay

I'm chiming in to say DD absolutely destroyed my wallet with his sales. If I can find space to get them all together I'll take a pic

Edit: for those of you looking for some really nice and decently priced prints that don't really follow DD, he's got a few up in his store

Edit edit: so DD is the artist I have the 2nd most prints from, behind Moss

Risible

Ris, holy shit, I love that. If you ever want to sell that piece, PM me and I will throw money or prints at you. And hugs.

You got it. I'm in the process of figuring out what will make it onto the walls these last few weeks, taking into account space restrictions as well as what the wife will let me do :). I'll keep you in mind.

Risible

Another Daniel Danger piece I have that maybe not so many people have seen, I love it :)

What Daniel does better than pretty much anyone else is create a sense of mystery with his art.

LaneDS

Another Daniel Danger piece I have that maybe not so many people have seen, I love it :)

What Daniel does better than pretty much anyone else is create a sense of mystery with his art.

Black and green from 2008 means that print in person is dark as shit.

Cool as a jpg though!

Clipjoint

Acrylic is what most places use now and it has a bunch of advantages not least of which are shatter resistance and weight. It used to be an issue where glass had better clarity but that gap has almost entirely been closed at this point.

As for price it can be all over the place. I have a framer by me who I refuse to go to because their prices are exorbitant. Frankly, I would be interested in knowing more about this as well, so my informal survey for the thread: If you have used a framer how much did you pay for either an 18" x 24" or 24" x 36"? I know some of you lucky bastards have gone to Framing Devil, so don't hold out on us!

Edit: Also, frames from a place like Frame Destination are made to be really easy to put together, so don't worry too much about that.

I pretty much exclusively go to the Framing Devil and the 24x36 frames I've picked up have been anywhere from $150 to $500 depending on how elaborate and fancy they got.

Damn expensive hobby.

IronRinn

I pretty much exclusively go to the Framing Devil and the 24x36 frames I've picked up have been anywhere from $150 to $500 depending on how elaborate and fancy they got.

Damn expensive hobby.
It is but those are very reasonable prices. I was expecting much higher. Way less than what the lunatic by me has quoted for probably a way less cool frame up.

If she makes me pick between her and my prints, she's not the one
Heh, good man.

Just got this in the mail today. So fuckin rad.
Maaaan, that looks so fucking good with the credits.

Bikejoh

Neo Member
MGSV commission by Ise Ananphada is underway and looking incredible, but we're still about 20 people short. I'm paying the first half of her fee tomorrow, then she's starting final artwork which should come back to us in a few weeks.

We have a sketch and it is killer. Here's a small piece, join the group to see it all! I need a $25 deposit before I put you on the spreadsheet. All info is inside the facebook group, and feel free to message me with any questions. This will not go over $70-75 if we can get a run of 50.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/435734003276658/

YkQM7th.jpg

MGSV commission by Ise Ananphada is underway and looking incredible, but we're still about 20 people short. I'm paying the first half of her fee tomorrow, then she's starting final artwork which should come back to us in a few weeks.

We have a sketch and it is killer. Here's a small piece, join the group to see it all! I need a $25 deposit before I put you on the spreadsheet. All info is inside the facebook group, and feel free to message me with any questions. This will not go over $70-75 if we can get a run of 50.

YkQM7th.jpg
I...think I want in...

YkQM7th.jpg

I'm in.

YkQM7th.jpg

Wait. You're in neogaf?!? IS EVERYONE ALLOWED TO JOIN NOWADAYS?!?

Top Bottom