• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints |OT2| Signed and Numbered Edition of 20000

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Weird, I tired a few times. Kept telling me it was sold out.
Yeah, all the copies were probably immediately carted, but not bought.
Everyone just comes into my office and asks "Why do you have a framed picture of Carl Winslow......?" and I tell them to get out.

Those damn heathens. Even if it was a Carl Winslow handbill, it'd still be worthy of being framed.

Zombine

Banned
I had my choice between the variant and the regular, but I picked the regular because I liked the red over the yellow. Not looking to sell so I might as well get the one I wanted. I really appreciate that it was up right at 12.

LaneDS

JC and Mark Englert both have super grainy prints. Most of the time the jpegs look better than the actual print.

I have two Englerts and agree with this, but I always assumed that had something to do with them being glow in the dark prints.

This guy:
http://i2.wp.com/www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/Mark-Englert-Bioshock.jpg

and this ol' chap:
http://411posters.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/englert-the-flowers-are-still-standing.jpg

Both of which are in my "hm shouldn't have got those because I'm never going to frame them" category (I do like that Bioshock one a lot though).

and this ol' chap:
http://411posters.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/englert-the-flowers-are-still-standing.jpg

Both of which are in my "hm shouldn't have got those because I'm never going to frame them" category (I do like that Bioshock one a lot though).

Yo, if you aren't going to frame that Bioshock one let me buy it. I love it but never got the chance to pick it up.

*EDIT* I never even knew the variant had SHODAN in the GID portion. I love the regular one but I love SS2, which makes it really tough to decide which to hunt down...

IronRinn

God fucking damn it, the asshole who runs Cyclops Print Works' twitter account has been teasing Whalen and Perillo Inside Out prints.

CZ6HtibUUAAUVQ5.jpg

CZ1R7i1VIAATrta.jpg

Luderico

Originally Posted by Captain Blood

I have it framed in my office actually and am very happy with it.
DcdIfNA.jpg

I am a big fan of JC though, sure his style lacks detail when you have your nose 5 inches away from them but at normal viewing distances I think they look great.

And yes I have Al Powell looking down on me to provide sage wisdom while I work.

Love that shit man.

Inside Out. Fuckin tempting. Being poor sucks. But maybe...

Meier

I have it framed in my office actually and am very happy with it.
http://i.imgur.com/DcdIfNA.jpg[IMG]

I am a big fan of JC though, sure his style lacks detail when you have your nose 5 inches away from them but at normal viewing distances I think they look great.

And yes I have Al Powell looking down on me to provide sage wisdom while I work.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Cap! I think it's probably a little too grainy for my taste now seeing that real world picture. I love the design but I'll pass on his offer. I have the Daniel Danger GOT up in my living room since I love the design but it's just so damn dark.. probably don't want to buy another GOT unless I think it's perfect.

LaneDS

Yo, if you aren't going to frame that Bioshock one let me buy it. I love it but never got the chance to pick it up.

*EDIT* I never even knew the variant had SHODAN in the GID portion. I love the regular one but I love SS2, which makes it really tough to decide which to hunt down...

It's yours if you want it! Would sell it at cost ($60) plus shipping, so lemme know.

Browny

Banned
I'm not a huge Judge Dread person, and I have many things to sort already - but I think I need one of these (coming soon):

Raid's stuff is so colourful without being overpoweriing.

IronRinn

Today, February 1st at 10am PT on Hero Complex Gallery: "The Starlet" (Hail, Caesar!) by Chuck Sperry(!)

16.75" x 35", 10 color screen print with metallic inks and sepia glaze on cream paper, signed and numbered edition of 150, $60

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Didn't even notice the arm. First thing I thought was, "Didn't like the hair." Then I was like, "Is there a Dick Tracy villain in this, because that dude's shoulders are huge."

IronRinn

Chuck Sperry can draw some pretty ladies. This is not one of those times. Also what's going on with her right arm there?
8 times out of ten, they are pretty ladies. Sometimes though...

He's got a great habit of fucking up movie posters. It's almost like he doesn't even care.
This too.

Her right arm looks fine to me. It's twisted around so her fingers are gripping the edge of the desk. What's more concerning to me is how fucking huge that dude's shoulders are.
And finally, yeah, this is what I thought. The arm is fine but the dude's shoulder is way too wide.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Dude is one of my favorite artists. I've got no issues with the arm (if you have thin wrists position your arm that way--that's what it actually looks like) or the hair, but it's just brutally boring. I'm sure it'll look great in person, but man, there's really nothing to it other than a he literally copied a boring still from the movie.

Dude is one of my favorite artists. I've got no issues with the arm (if you have thin wrists position your arm that way--that's what it actually looks like) or the hair, but it's just brutally boring. I'm sure it'll look great in person, but man, there's really nothing to it other than a he literally copied a boring still from the movie.
The foundation of the drawing is good imo but he doesn't do much to elevate it. Could have done something with his inking or coloring but doesnt.

LaneDS

When an artist is commissioned to do a print for a movie not yet released, do studios or the galleries behind the print ever provide the artist with more than the public would have access to? i.e. do they have to just watch the trailers and work against that, or are the artists ever given access to early screenings for example?

I think it's great that new releases often get prints right off the bat, but I wonder where artists are able to pull inspiration from if they haven't seen the source.

Filthy Slug

When an artist is commissioned to do a print for a movie not yet released, do studios or the galleries behind the print ever provide the artist with more than the public would have access to? i.e. do they have to just watch the trailers and work against that, or are the artists ever given access to early screenings for example?

I think it's great that new releases often get prints right off the bat, but I wonder where artists are able to pull inspiration from if they haven't seen the source.

I'm super interested in this as well. I believe, for example, that Stout didn't get to see Guardians of the Galaxy, and that's why you've got no real "scenes" from the movie in the print.

omgkitty

I think it just depends really. Honestly I really wish Mondo would push for more of these prints to at least release the week after they open so people have a chance to see the movie first. I know the studios probably tell them to release it on the same day as the film's release, but it's really shitty for us.

ohkay

I think it depends, sometimes all they get is a trailer, while other times they get screened the film. For Stout's Inglorious Basterds, he never saw the film before making the print which is why Michael Fassbender isn't on it. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure Guillermo Del Toro showed DD Crimson Peak before he made that

Edit: but it would obviously be nice if all this artwork were made after the artist got to see the films

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I think it depends, sometimes all they get is a trailer, while other times they get screened the film. For Stout's Inglorious Basterds, he never saw the film before making the print which is why Michael Fassbender isn't on it. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure Guillermo Del Toro showed DD Crimson Peak before he made that

Edit: but it would obviously be nice if all this artwork were made after the artist got to see the films

I think Crimson Peak was the exception to "the rule." Don't think people get much outside of marketing assets, if that.

I'm sure if you get someone like GDT who knows about Mondo and gets what they're trying to do, you'll have more access than you'd typically do.

IronRinn

Tomorrow, Tuesday, February 2nd on Mondo: Remaining copies of HÄXAN by Becky Cloonan (spoilered because boobs)

Häxan (Blasphemy Blue) by Becky Cloonan. 18"x24" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 75. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $40

Häxan (Profanation Purple) by Becky Cloonan. 18"x24" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 75. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $40

Häxan (Green Man Green) by Becky Cloonan. 18"x24" screen print. Hand numbered. Edition of 75. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $40

Yes, we usually provide the artist with more materials than just what's out in public but I think it also depends on the license and the circumstances.

Yes, we usually provide the artist with more materials than just what's out in public but I think it also depends on the license and the circumstances.

Oooooh WE do do WE??? What you think you're better than me?

To be fair, don't you WORK for Disney, so getting early access to, say, Inside Out, would be easier for you than say Mondo trying to get Tyler access to the new Captain America film?

Oooooh WE do do WE??? What you think you're better than me?

To be fair, don't you WORK for Disney, so getting early access to, say, Inside Out, would be easier for you than say Mondo trying to get Tyler access to the new Captain America film?

lol. No. I don't work for Disney. Cyclops can release non-disney licensed stuff.

LaneDS

That's really cool to hear; glad the studios (or most likely in your case, one giant studio) is supportive of the artists in that way.

Good responses all around.

Luderico

Also disappointed about the Sperry poster. But like the BLT Communications one. Lookin really good.
The movie looks promising. But don't think i need poster from it.

Lovin the Becky Cloonan one. But same thing. Don't need a poster from the movie.

Top Bottom