• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints |OT2| Signed and Numbered Edition of 20000

Risible

Yeah, that Alien print is weird. Why the Jonesy? WTH is the penis on the right side? Why is the Alien so weirdly pointy like some sort of Todd McFarlane Spawn illustration?

Yeah, that Alien print is weird. Why the Jonesy? WTH is the penis on the right side? Why is the Alien so weirdly pointy like some sort of Todd McFarlane Spawn illustration?

I was expecting something more in line with his darker stuff. Like that Alien print he did way back when:

ALIEN+GID+BLOG.jpg

But I do like this new one, too. Even if it's a little different than what I expected. Also, what's the deal with this Jonesy? What is it? The cat?

Risible

I was expecting something more in line with his darker stuff. Like that Alien print he did way back when:

But I do like this new one, too. Even if it's a little different than what I expected. Also, what's the deal with this Jonesy? What is it? The cat?

Yeah, Ripley's cat from Alien was named Jonesy.

Luderico

Yeah the thing, penis, on the right side looks weird. Would also think part of the space ship. Even if it doesn't make much sense. Just plain weird.
And Jonesy. Oh man. These two thinks gone. Killer print. Love the pink color way.

LaneDS

How much does it usually cost to frame a 24x36 print? All local shops giving me $250-300 range, with spacer and UV

Depends on a lot of factors. Are you using glass or something else? I'm sure the prices you're being quoted at are for glass frames and that seems about right. If you can live without glass and want to frame it yourself for less, there are really cheap options at places like Michael's in common sizes like the one you named, or you can do places like americanframe.com which gives you a bunch of options with a bunch of price ranges. Should boil down to how much you care about the particular piece you're framing and how much you want to invest on the frame side of things... no single best answer, in my experience.

IronRinn

Tomorrow, March 2nd:

Sam Wolfe Connelly said:
new prints will be up in my shop Wednesday! a limited edition of this poster I did with Mondo as well as a recent gallery piece of mine

The Black Swan is a 16" x 24" screenprint. Signed and numbered AP edition of 35, $60

Also available is "Black Tide"
8" x 10" giclée print, signed & numbered edition of 70, $35

These go up at 3pm ET, today.

Depends on a lot of factors. Are you using glass or something else? I'm sure the prices you're being quoted at are for glass frames and that seems about right. If you can live without glass and want to frame it yourself for less, there are really cheap options at places like Michael's in common sizes like the one you named, or you can do places like americanframe.com which gives you a bunch of options with a bunch of price ranges. Should boil down to how much you care about the particular piece you're framing and how much you want to invest on the frame side of things... no single best answer, in my experience.

Yeah, glass frame with spacer and UV, 24x36. Maybe because it's Brooklyn but I'm also given 3-4 week wait at these places

omgkitty

Agree. She has some really nice gig prints on her site. From bands i've never heard of. Had some in my cart. But my wall space is limited. So i backed down.
Hope to see more of her in the future.

Yep, like I love that Grace Potter print, but I don't need a print for an artist I think is bad.

IronRinn

Agree. She has some really nice gig prints on her site. From bands i've never heard of. Had some in my cart. But my wall space is limited. So i backed down.
Hope to see more of her in the future.

Yep, like I love that Grace Potter print, but I don't need a print for an artist I think is bad.

This is the issue I run into with 90% of gig posters. Sometimes I wonder if it might mean that I am getting old and out of touch, but then I remember it's usually another Widespread Panic or Dave Matthews Band print and I feel better.

Otheradam

How much does it usually cost to frame a 24x36 print? All local shops giving me $250-300 range, with spacer and UV

For the basic black frame with archival matts and uv acrylic, it comes out to about $200 on American Frame, so for a store, that sounds about right. I usually just order everything from American Frame and frame it myself. Have a Drake Black Widow print that I need to frame but don't want to drop $200 on a frame right now... The spotlight ones are a good alternative but I don't know how prints will hold up in them long term if you don't swap them out. Once I frame something, its permanent so I'm a bit hesitant on the spotlight frames since there is no matte.

I'm also in Brooklyn, so if you find a place with good good pricing, let me know!

omgkitty

This is the issue I run into with 90% of gig posters. Sometimes I wonder if it might mean that I am getting old and out of touch, but then I remember it's usually another Widespread Panic or Dave Matthews Band print and I feel better.

Yep the amount of times I've seen an awesome poster and the realized "Ugh this is fucking DMB / Widespread Panic / Phish / The Avett Brothers etc" is sad.

Yep the amount of times I've seen an awesome poster and the realized "Ugh this is fucking DMB / Widespread Panic / Phish / The Avett Brothers etc" is sad.

Hahahaha! No kidding. Lucky for me I like the Avett bros and Andrew Bird, so I end up with a nice selection.

For the basic black frame with archival matts and uv acrylic, it comes out to about $200 on American Frame, so for a store, that sounds about right. I usually just order everything from American Frame and frame it myself. Have a Drake Black Widow print that I need to frame but don't want to drop $200 on a frame right now... The spotlight ones are a good alternative but I don't know how prints will hold up in them long term if you don't swap them out. Once I frame something, its permanent so I'm a bit hesitant on the spotlight frames since there is no matte.

I'm also in Brooklyn, so if you find a place with good good pricing, let me know!

I've checked liked 3-4 places, all of them $250+ with 3-4 weeks. San Art Framing has an 8-9 WEEK wait lol

Never done a basic frame job, but I'd recommend Rooq. Not sure about pricing, but at least their turnaround is ~2 weeks.

What do you mean "basic frame job"? I'll check out Rooq

IronRinn

Hahahaha! No kidding. Lucky for me I like the Avett bros and Andrew Bird, so I end up with a nice selection.

I don't mind the Avett Brothers, but I'm not really a fan, either. The first three kitty listed though *shudder*.

There is one poster that Sperry did for Cake, who I love, that I would really like to get but I can't find anyone selling it for less than an arm and a leg and there is very little crossover with my trades and the interests of people who actively collect gig posters. On top of that, apparently a bunch were sold super cheap on the band's site and they were shipped like garbage and mostly arrived damaged.

IronRinn

For people still waiting on their Deadpool prints from Mondo, yesterday they post on their Instagram that the PCC prints had come in. Not sure what that means for the Liefelds.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
What do you mean "basic frame job"? I'll check out Rooq

Basic frame w/ spacers. All the stuff I've had them frame have ornate frames, single/double mat, or floating. So can't really give you an estimate on what it'd cost to do a simple job for a 24x36.

I totally recommend Rooq. I know a few EB'ers use them and I've had nothing but a positive experience with them. Only problem is if you're in Brooklyn, you'll need to lug it back home.

If I remember correctly, deadbolt recommended 567 Framing, which has a location in Williamsburg. Think Bottleneck uses them.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm in the same boat of not giving a shit about jam bands like Phish/Widespread Panic, but I got over that pretty quickly after seeing how much absolutely rad art is put out for their shows. I pick up the images that I like and I actually think the gig details section adds a nice layer to it--almost like a credits block for a movie print.

omgkitty

I'm in the same boat of not giving a shit about jam bands like Phish/Widespread Panic, but I got over that pretty quickly after seeing how much absolutely rad art is put out for their shows. I pick up the images that I like and I actually think the gig details section adds a nice layer to it--almost like a credits block for a movie print.

Yep which is why I think the prints lose something when the artists release a version minus the text. I really like the way text adds to a print, especially when done right. Landland is really good at this actually.

Yo, that God Machine drop at Bottleneck was bullshit. It goes up at 12:02 and there's immediately only 5 of the pink variant left? I could have grabbed the tan version, but I didn't even want to give them money at that point.

Basic frame w/ spacers. All the stuff I've had them frame have ornate frames, single/double mat, or floating. So can't really give you an estimate on what it'd cost to do a simple job for a 24x36.

I totally recommend Rooq. I know a few EB'ers use them and I've had nothing but a positive experience with them. Only problem is if you're in Brooklyn, you'll need to lug it back home.

If I remember correctly, deadbolt recommended 567 Framing, which has a location in Williamsburg. Think Bottleneck uses them.

wow, coincidentally Rooq on W4th was the exact store I was thinking about checking out today but didn't know the name of the store

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yo, that God Machine drop at Bottleneck was bullshit. It goes up at 12:02 and there's immediately only 5 of the pink variant left? I could have grabbed the tan version, but I didn't even want to give them money at that point.

Super tiny run and that pink looked dope as hell. I suspect everybody was going for that one.

IronRinn

Super tiny run and that pink looked dope as hell. I suspect everybody was going for that one.

The others were giving inventory issues, too. I suspect there was some fuckery.

Inventory was just the usual. I think something might have gotten messed up with their pre-sale, the links for which were posted in a few places, including EB.

Edit: Although, thinking about it, that wouldn't matter much either, as they allocate for that. I dunno, could just have been a popular print.

IronRinn

On sale tomorrow, Friday, March 4th on Mondo:

The American Dreamer by Jay Shaw. 18" x 24" screen print. Hand numbered edition of 120. Printed by Dan Black. $40

Bone Tomahawk by Matthew Woodson. 18" x 36" screen print. Hand numbered edition of 275. Printed by D&L Screenprinting. $45

That American Dreamer is defo more interesting for the technical achievement of the printing itself than the actual poster. The Woodson looks awesome. Haven't seen the movie yet though.

ruxtpin

Banned
I need that Tomahawk. That is an insane movie. Good, but that scene... Sweet mercy...

Would anyone be able to snag one tomorrow (PB it at cost - or not, never asked before so I donno the rules)? I'll be on flights most all day.

IronRinn

Randy Ortiz has some new OGs up in his shop, including the original illustration for The Road

That American Dreamer is defo more interesting for the technical achievement of the printing itself than the actual poster. The Woodson looks awesome. Haven't seen the movie yet though.
It's a good movie. It starts off as a good Western and then takes a hard right and becomes a Horror film without flinching. Woodson did a great job. I especially like the reference to "the scene" that he put in there.

Top Bottom