• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pop Culture Art/Posters/Prints |OT2| Signed and Numbered Edition of 20000

omgkitty

I want to see a JC Richard Sleeping Beauty.

jc%2Brichard_earles%2Bfarm%2B1500%2Br.jpg

I want one based off of Earle's original concepts, not the film itself. (Englert could probably do this too if he stuck to the style instead of his usual stuff)

Or even Mary Blair:

Or possibly a Mary Blair-esque Alice in Wonderland or Peter Pan. Cel, go ahead and send me a PM and I'll let you know where you can send my check :D

Luderico

Have you seen this?

Sure sure. Beautiful piece. Even if iam not a fan of the size. A bitch to frame. But they are touring at the moment. Just saw them. They even had a print for the European tour. Wasnt so hot about it. So there is hope. When they go back to the states they commission some cool pieces.

IronRinn

Spoke Art:

Tomorrow (Friday) [April 1st] morning at approximately 10am [PST], we'll be releasing two new prints by @zzzoltron and @richeybeckett in our online store. Originally debuted at C2E2 in Chicago last month, quantities are super limited, good luck!

J4g4WYa.jpg

I want to see a JC Richard Sleeping Beauty.

I want one based off of Earle's original concepts, not the film itself. (Englert could probably do this too if he stuck to the style instead of his usual stuff)

Or even Mary Blair:

Or possibly a Mary Blair-esque Alice in Wonderland or Peter Pan. Cel, go ahead and send me a PM and I'll let you know where you can send my check :D

YUP! I'd be all over this.

IronRinn

Raid71 is going to have a Mystery Tube Sale:

Our first Mystery Tube Sale will be an amazing opportunity to get hold of some highly collectible and sought after artist proofs, file copies and Spider-man process proofs (4 years of archived prints!).
AND...
...an awesome chance to win a ‘Golden Ticket’ - your very own personal screen print (1/1 ) designed by Raid71 & signed (with the subject matter chosen by the Golden Ticket holder).

[...]

All the details of Raid71's first Mystery Tube Sale will be announced on Monday April 4th 2016.
Raid71 - The archives will be emptied!
You will receive another email will the full details of the event prior to this announcement.

A little editing. God, the 90s. What the hell were we doing?

These seem to be hanging out for a while.

Also, Roamcouch on Arcadium came and went with a swiftness.

Good edit! No GID or plastic jewels glued on though. Missed opportunity if you ask me haha!

I scored the Roamcouch on the preview. Heard it was a bloodbath on the drop today :(

IronRinn

Good edit! No GID or plastic jewels glued on though. Missed opportunity if you ask me haha!

I scored the Roamcouch on the preview. Heard it was a bloodbath on the drop today :(
Do you remember all the fucking rainbow shit? Or the lenticular cards pasted to the covers? And everything came in a god damn bag!? Oh man, my teen years.

Yeah, after some hemming and hawing I picked one up during the preview. It just looked too good to pass up. Looking forward to seeing it in person. It'll be my first Roamcouch.

Do you remember all the fucking rainbow shit? Or the lenticular cards pasted to the covers? And everything came in a god damn bag!? Oh man, my teen years.

Yeah, after some hemming and hawing I picked one up during the preview. It just looked too good to pass up. Looking forward to seeing it in person. It'll be my first Roamcouch.

I didn't want to open the bag to get my black Superman armband out. Remember the Image 0 coupons in all the #1s? I bought doubles of everything on my KFC part time paycheck. All 5 Jim Lee X-men #1 covers. It's all garbage now.
The whole experience taught me not to look at prints as investments.

IronRinn

I didn't want to open the bag to get my black Superman armband out. Remember the Image 0 coupons in all the #1s? I bought doubles of everything on my KFC part time paycheck. All 5 Jim Lee X-men #1 covers. It's all garbage now.
The whole experience taught me not to look at prints as investments.
Those were some dark fucking years, for real.

Arkotype

I'm currently gauging interest on a screen print run of my recent PANG (Buster Bros., as it's also known) poster design.

Each design will have a the 'orbs' in a unique layout so that no two prints are alike - I'm looking at a one time run of 25 prints - each will be 2 colour silk screen printed on GF Smith Colorplan stock.

Let me know if this is something that might interest you - at the moment I'm just getting quotes whilst establishing if it's something that folks would be interested in picking up --

PNG-001-Red-1200-2_1200.png

IronRinn

Wednesday, April 6th at 6pm BST (10am PDT, 1pm EDT): Raid71 Mystery Tube Sale

sketch.jpg

100 Mystery Tubes

Containing very rare Raid71 Artist Proof & Printer Proofs
We will also add in some Spider-man process proofs, prints that where altered because of copyright reasons
Will try and put at least one 'classic' Raid71 print in each tube

1 Mystery Tube will contain:
** EXCLUSIVE GOLDEN TICKET**
A chance to commission a 1/1 screen print
4/5 colors 18x24"

Here are some of those goodies..

Mead Streets (BladeRunner)
2001 Space Odyssey GID (Glow In The Dark)
The Warriors
Here Goes Nothing (StarWars)
Father's day (StarWars)
Urban Sprawl (Judge Dredd)
RAY What were you thinking? GID (Ghostbusters)
Spider-man Vs Venom (RARE)
Spider-man Vs Venom (Original AP Run)
About Town (Taxi Driver)
Shadow Warriors (TMNT)
Art Makes The Man
Art Makes The Man Variant
Spinner
Cultural Impact - Red
Sinister City AP(Spider-man)
Sinister City Variant AP (Spider-man)
Dr Octopus (RARE, Spider-man)
Akira - Subject 41
Akira - The Truth About Power
Whisper of The Heart AP
DareDevil
Don't Walk (Blade Runner)

4-5 different prints each tube, please allow up to 3 weeks for shipping
All prints shipped with tracking information, shipped worldwide
Please note, a few prints have very minor dings, creases etc

Other prints will include a selection of current screen prints, sketches and some exclusive rare giclee prints.
£50.00 (~$72) per tube.

omgkitty

So he's really gonna take off with that style and run huh? Not sure how I feel about that.

His "normal" style wouldn't work for a print like this or Totoro, just like this style wouldn't work for what I guess is the stuff you like (which I've never liked that much). I think it goes both ways, and I'm sure you'll see plenty of those other prints. I just hope he stays more controlled. That Totoro print was great and then he just kept adding more stuff to it. It doesn't need Totoro and the cat bus and the soot...there's just too much going on. Feels like it came from a commission where everyone kept asking for more shit to be in it. Less is more sometimes. Watership Down feels like it has a perfect mix of everything.

IronRinn

I hope so--it's fucking excellent.

I really like it too. That said, I understand Blingaling's mixed feelings regarding Thornley pretty heavily leaning into Eyvind Earle's style. I suppose it will rest on whether this will be a series of Earle-inspired prints or if this is going to be his new "style".

Nah, not really surprised. I suppose it's acceptable in these days of pop culture mash up. Viva la Teefury!
Yeah. Like I said, a series of stuff like this is neat. If this were to become his default, I think I might find that questionable.

Don't get me wrong, I think WS and the Totoro look freakin good. It works. He hasn't said anything about it being a bold new style or anything, but neither has been there any acknowledgement of Earle. An admission of homage would make it feel less like a rip off, as obvious as it may be.

edit: I am eternally grateful that we can discuss these things like grown ups here in fancypaperGAF.

omgkitty

Don't get me wrong, I think WS and the Totoro look freakin good. It works. He hasn't said anything about it being a bold new style or anything, but neither has been there any acknowledgement of Earle. An admission of homage would make it feel less like a rip off, as obvious as it may be.

edit: I am eternally grateful that we can discuss these things like grown ups here in fancypaperGAF.

I think saying what he does is ripping off Earle's style is like saying someone who started doing pointillism was stealing from Seurat or that some of the stuff Olly Moss did was just ripping off Saul Bass or whatever. Art doesn't really work that way. Obviously, I'm sure your're not that upset about it, but no one in art is doing anything original. 99% of the time, someone did something before the thing you like did.

I think saying what he does is ripping off Earle's style is like saying someone who started doing pointillism was stealing from Seurat or that some of the stuff Olly Moss did was just ripping off Saul Bass or whatever. Art doesn't really work that way. Obviously, I'm sure your're not that upset about it, but no one in art is doing anything original. 99% of the time, someone did something before the thing you like did.

All true. Not hatin' :)

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I think he was just playing around in this stylistic homage and, like Rinn said, the super positive reactions prompted him to take it to the printers. Also, I don't think Raid posts much behind-the-scenes stuff (I could be totally wrong), so maybe that's why it seems like he hasn't acknowledged Earle?

Risible

Really? I love Ferguson's Nausicaa. It's super clean and elegant.
YAiPO2F.jpg

I agree, my main problem is I hate hate hate posters covered in kanji (I think that's what Japanese writing is called, forgive me if I'm using the wrong term). :( Just a quirk peculiar to me, not sure why I dislike it so much.

edit: and yes, I'm aware of the irony of complaining about a Japanese film poster that has Japanese writing on it ;)

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I agree, my main problem is I hate hate hate posters covered in kanji (I think that's what Japanese writing is called, forgive me if I'm using the wrong term). :( Just a quirk peculiar to me, not sure why I dislike it so much.

edit: and yes, I'm aware of the irony of complaining about a Japanese film poster that has Japanese writing on it ;)

Ah, totally understandable. I think for certain prints it works, and for others it doesn't mesh well. Like, I personally don't really care for the Japanese titles on Moss's Ghibli variants.

Top Bottom