• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-12| Welcome To The Mad House

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nooooooooooooooooo.

Don't forget 25.

Forget Honeymoon like everyone else.
stop acting like you won't be trashing 25 a month from now
c076289c15.gif

Floridian

If Rihanna is trying to pull a Beyonce, she's doing it all wrong.

I may strongly dislike Beyonce because she's satan incarnate, but I'll give credit where credit is due: the lead-up to BEYONCE was brilliant. She did a shit ton of high profile promo at the beginning of the year, then went radio silent without even a hint of anything about an album or even a single, then hit you with the album when literally NOBODY saw it coming. It was gimmicky, and she likely won't see the same level of success if she tried it a second time, but it was a fresh tactic and it worked.

Rihanna, on the other hand, has a big fucking mouth, and if she's going for suspense here she's killing it. All the on-again-off-again promo, dropping random ass singles that don't seem to belong to any sort of project, and she herself dangling hints over her fans like a carrot on a string is killing the hype. It won't be a surprise because everyone knows it's coming, and she's been teasing it for so long that people are getting fatigued. Hell, I went from super excited for the album and a new member of The NVAY to being sick of hearing about the damn album, and I haven't even heard it.

I'm reminded of the lead-up to ARTPOP and, well...we all know how that turned out.

The thing is every time she brings up something that's album related she lets the hype go down by going silent right after. The ANTi-Diary or whatever should've been introduced shortly after the album cover/title reveal back in October, with the album release around early November. If only she had her shit together though & not mess around with vacations & toxic rappers.

cory64

Rihanna really has no reason to drag this album out with this manufactured hype if the music doesn't live up. Judging by the fact it's SAMSUNG sponsored promo everywhere, I'll just expect the worst.

I'm about to buy a 6s Plus after that magnificent Stevie Wonder ad, this is too much right now

c076289c15.gif

Floridian

Death @ Samsung & her team doing all this extra shit for an album that's probably not even going to make my top ten. 2015 was too good.

cory64

I'm going to bed, I don't trust the navy to get this stuff unlocked in a timely manner.

They should rihcruit some little monsters to do it for us, it's not like they're busy.

Floridian

Send your fans on a online media scavenger hunt in the middle of the night. Don't release your album after teasing it for more than a year. Rely on a rapper who can't even release his own album to produce yours. Release your album on a dead streaming service instead of a normal iTunes release brehs.

royalan

Send your fans on a online media scavenger hunt in the middle of the night. Don't release your album after teasing it for more than a year. Rely on a rapper who can't even release his own album to produce yours. Release your album on a dead streaming service instead of a normal iTunes release brehs.

Not to mention that damn site is creepy as fuck.

I went to that site, did a little bit of it, saw the creepy children in the dark hallway bit and immediately nope'd the fuck out. I ain't got time for this nightmare room shit.

cory64

"Everyone will think I'm just doing a copy of B, let's do something unique and phresh with this, yeah?"

"Your fans will do anything for you, right?"

"Ya, #NheviRDie is no phuckin joke"

"I think we can come up with something..."

Phreaker

Right? Or how about just casually release the first single and video and say the album comes out in a few weeks. It worked for Adele.

PInk Tape

Banned
she should have just done some beyonce shit, the diary whatever thing doesn't work because people have been waiting for this thing for like 3 years.

That's another thing that bothers me about this; she's had so much time to sort out what the hell she wanted to do with this album, promo and everything, and this half assery is what we get.

Screams to me that she really didn't want to do another album tbh.

royalan

Right? Or how about just casually release the first single and video and say the album comes out in a few weeks. It worked for Adele.

Well, to be fair, anything would work for Adele. The rules that apply to everyone else don't apply to her.

Although I agree that Rihanna's trying way too hard to make things easy too complicated. I mean, has the whole app thing worked for any artist that's tried it? The only person I can think of is Jay Z, and that's only because the album itself was on the damn app.

Peru

But Rihanna never made a quality album like The Fame Monster tbh. I think Rihanna only has Loud as the only album I can listen fully but more skips are there. (Why am I saying something positive about Gags?)

Rated R is better than the fame monster. A more coherent vision, a better album. Her albums went downhill from there, though.

Jeez y'all getting so butt hurt at Rihanna on this page. Let her do her bullshit, every pop girl has that privilege. None of this will matter once the album drops.

Rated R is better than the fame monster. A more coherent vision, a better album. Her albums went downhill from there, though.

I'd place Rated R above ARTPOP but beneath any other Gaga release, tbh

Yado

Just finished with my first listen of the new Badu mixtape. I hate it and it's a shame because I love all the albums and one offs Badu has made.

I haven't listened yet but my expectations are already low, I don't like that Hotline Bling remix and the phone song she released was just ok.

royalan

Jeez y'all getting so butt hurt at Rihanna on this page. Let her do her bullshit, every pop girl has that privilege. None of this will matter once the album drops.

I'd place Rated R above ARTPOP but beneath any other Gaga release, tbh

"None of this will matter when the album drops."

Isn't that what Lady Gaga said?

Floridian

Anti will be Rihanna's ARTPOP.
Music wise I hope not.
But Rihanna never made a quality album like The Fame Monster tbh. I think Rihanna only has Loud as the only album I can listen fully but more skips are there. (Why am I saying something positive about Gags?)
Rated R says "Hello. It's me".
Her having the privilege to treat her fan base like puppets doesn't make it excusable. Her having the privilege to take the amount of vacations this year when she had an album to finish doesn't make it excusable. People aren't going to simply forget about the messy pre-album campaign and experience once the album is out. And once the album does come out, even that won't make all the confusion and disappointment that she caused beforehand excusable, well at least for me. Her general fans have been waiting for 3+ years after having been experienced with 4+ years of nonstop music, so being continuously teased & then being let down with false hope will bring out some "butt hurt" reactions. Her having the privilege to do whatever she wants doesn't make the events that occured excusable. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom