• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-12| Welcome To The Mad House

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhandino

Banned
anyway, hew else is buying SFV?
Will wait until the game is more feature complete just like I did with Splatoon

VGEVUT4.gif

don't do this, you know it's all bs. "payga" didn't get her money's worth tonight.

anyway, hew else is buying SFV?
ddd, so you agree

VGEVUT4.gif

gurl, what is this. who even cares about gaga. Kendrick was robbed!
Now you know that if Kendrick had won that award White America would be rioting right about now. Kendrick's performance is going to be talked about after this show while Shitlord's win will not even stay on anyone's mind after tomorrow. Kendrick won. True talent won.

royalan

All shade for Taylor aside, 1989 wasn't a BAD album. But I don't think it deserved that award over To Pimp a Butterfly.

To Pimp a Butterfly was a really masterful album. A cohesive collection of tracks that told the story of young man reconciling his celebrity with his blackness and poor upbringing.

1989 was just a collection of singles. It was Taylor Swift doing a bona fide Pop album for the first time. Not a bad effort by any means, but really not much more than that.

Floridian

POOR CARLY!!!!

Seriously, if 1989 is allowed to win AOTY, then Carly was done so dirty. She was literally dragged in the mud by this win. Disgusting

EMOTION if anything should've been the winner if they really wanted to award a pop album this year for AOTY but the Grammys are too safe & award mediocrity as long as the sales are there.

We are not going to sit here and pretend that 1989 actually deserved to win over To Pimp a Butterfly. Taylor's best does not even come close to the first track on that album (Wesley's Theory) which is lyrically amazing and it's message is damn incredible, the second half of the song where Kendrick switches it up and raps from the perspective of Uncle Sam alone has more personality than Taylor's completely fabricated and calculated personality and anything she wrote in 1989.

In fact, Kendrick's performance tonight shit all over Taylor's performance that opened the Grammys, her vocals were so fucking tragic during that.

1989 is an album designed to be successful and designed to have hit singles while Kendrick's album was designed to tell a story and bring up the issues of race relations in America, imo. I can see WHY 1989 won, but it doesn't mean it deserved to.

VGEVUT4.gif

buy Honeymoon on iTunes today

[Verse 2]
All the lights are sparkling for you it seems
On the downtown scenes, shady blue
Beatboxing and rapping in the summer rain
Like a boss, you sang jazz and blues

[Chorus]
Ah-ah-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah-ah
Cacciatore
La-da-da-da-da
La-da-da-da-da
Limousine
Ah-ah-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah-ah
Ciao amore
La-da-da-da-da
La-da-da-da-da
Soft ice creams

[Verse 3]
The summer's wild
And I've been waiting for you all this time
I adore you, can't you see, you're meant for me?
Summer's hot but I've been cold without you
I was so wrong not to tell, Medellín, tangerine dreams

[Bridge]
Catch me if you can, working on my tan, salvatore
Dying by the hand of a foreign man happily
Calling out my name in the summer rain, ciao amore
Salvatore can wait
Now it's time to eat soft ice cream

tumblr_nhshxrx4L31sgz3lto1_500.gif

poor kendrick lamar stans in OT crying that taylor castrated his big "moment"

GettyImages-492686446-640x481.jpg

the flops are even dragging out metacritic receipts UNIRONICALLY

they are banned from shading pop-gaf E.V.E.R. again

BanneD

HiF9WJw.gif

I was reading stuff online and apparently Freak is about some cult or whatever? It was called the People's Temple and they were involved in a Mass Murder/Suicide. Weird, but I wouldn't put it past Lana tbh. All speculation tho

technopath

Neo Member
I was reading stuff online and apparently Freak is about some cult or whatever? It was called the People's Temple and they were involved in a Mass Murder/Suicide. Weird, but I wouldn't put it past Lana tbh. All speculation tho

It's more than speculation. Father John Misty's drug-induced ramblings in the woods and Lana drinking Kool-Aid are direct references to Jim Jones and his cult's mass-suicide via Kool-Aid. That is why after she drinks it in the video, she ends up in the afterlife with FJM. The footage was all meant for the original Ultraviolence video anyways, which was meant to be all about the "cult leader" in the song lyrics.

It's more than speculation. Father John Misty's drug-induced ramblings in the woods and Lana drinking Kool-Aid are direct references to Jim Jones and his cult's mass-suicide via Kool-Aid. That is why after she drinks it in the video, she ends up in the afterlife with FJM. The footage was all meant for the original Ultraviolence video anyways, which was meant to be all about the "cult leader" in the song lyrics.
Wow, slay. I initially thought the video was just Lana being Lana but it's nice that there's an underlying theme behind all of this. I guess the video for Music To Watch Boys To kind of follows this story too.

Zutroy

lol at the hype for Gaga getting a projector on her face. That show jlo did with the projector on the dress had more spectacle.

Kanye and Rihanna are just the beginning. Beyonce and Jay-Z plan to subtly take down each and every one of our faves. I wonder who's next... Nicki? Madonna? Grimes? They already got rid of Rita Ora for all eternity

no one is safe.

newyorkreflectingdgsps.gif

Frodo

Hopefully this mess will teach you something you should be doing long time ago: not even acknowledging that poor excuse for an award's existence.

Phreaker

Tonight I'm livin' in a fantasy
My own little nasty world
Tonight, don't you wanna come with me
Do you think I'm a nasty girl
Tonight I'm livin' in a fantasy
My own little nasty world
Tonight, don't you wanna come with me
Do you think I'm a nasty girl

RIP Denise aka Vanity
4Mvek8C.png

Wait, what?!?! RIP :( Had to do some research:

She set up a GoFundMe asking for financial support a few months ago after a long battle with kidney failure stemming from a drug overdose in 1994 required her to undergo daily dialysis.

Vanity died after a battle with sclerosing encapsulating peritonitis (SEP) more recently, which causes an inflammation of the small intestines, compounded her health issues, according to TMZ.

On the GoFundMe page, the singer wrote about her trials and tribulations. "I went into the emergency twice this week, boy it is not fun suffering in this body of weak flesh..." She wrote. "But Jesus is straightening out all my crooked places in my heart as i go thru this time of pain....i won't complain!"

At least it sounded like she was at peace. RIP Vanity and thanks for the memories!

Hello Pop Gaf,

I've lurked a few times, you guys have an awesome thread and I hope to learn more about pop music in general. I'm a huge hip hop fan and a friend and I have a debate going on, I hope you guys can chime in on. He believes that Kendrick Lamar and J. Cole are Pop Stars. I don't think they are, because I don't think they make pop music. What say you pop gaf? Are they pop stars?

Yado

Hello Pop Gaf,

I've lurked a few times, you guys have an awesome thread and I hope to learn more about pop music in general. I'm a huge hip hop fan and a friend and I have a debate going on, I hope you guys can chime in on. He believes that Kendrick Lamar and J. Cole are Pop Stars. I don't think they are, because I don't think they make pop music. What say you pop gaf? Are they pop stars?

...what makes your friend think they're pop stars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom