• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-12| Welcome To The Mad House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
ivewoqt.png

Touchdown

Banned
Billboard:Two top two debuts from same album: With Bieber having debuted at No. 1 on the Hot 100 with prior single "What Do You Mean?" (Sept. 19), "Sorry" (his eighth Hot 100 top 10) is the second song from his Nov. 13 album Purpose to start at No. 1 or 2. Only three other albums have yielded multiple singles that have entered the Hot 100 so high: Mariah Carey's Daydream (1995-96) and Butterfly (1997-98) and Eminem's Recovery (2010). Daydream generated the No. 1 beginners "Fantasy" and "One Sweet Day" (with Boyz II Men) and the No. 2 opener "Always Be My Baby" (which went on to hit the summit), while Butterfly spun off the No. 1 debut "Honey" and No. 2-starting (and No. 1-peaking) "My All." Recovery produced the No. 1-debuting "Not Afraid" and "Love the Way You Lie" (featuring Rihanna), which launched at No. 2 before rising to No. 1.

So many records I sometimes can't keep track. Slay Mimi

tumblr_nx8r9mZtpl1u8gmrdo1_400.gif

I'm pretty disappointed that she &/or team is doing all of this extra tactics just to try make her album sale as much as possible. Like it's your 8th album, you already got your #1 album, you don't have to prove that you're a commercial success because you already were. What she does need to prove that is that she can create a cohesive body of work instead of just a couple of hits combined with filler. That fact that she's struggling with this as an artist is problematic imo. No one will care if you lose to Adele in sales because no one else is beating her. All the manipulation around the release dates makes no sense. Either she's not confident in the music or the time in which she could release it. How about less vacations & sock promotion & instead more studio time and devoting yourself in being more involved in your music. The last time she released an album she was 24, now she's 27 and time is moving. Luckily she's still young though and has time to recover. #Pray4ANTi

In all seriousness, I do respect when a pop star chases her passion musically versus being mindful of popular trends and trying to stay ahead of it. It shows artistic autonomy and that the singer has matured past the point of living to be popular. It's also bold because they're under much more pressure to strive for #1s than smaller artists might be, because there's more to lose for them. I think Rihanna's moving to that place, and though I'm not sure what the cause of her delays have been (I've heard it's producers' schedules, Q4 sales pressure, song reshuffling, etc.), I still think we can expect ANTi to drop any day now.

I think back to that comment Katy Perry made when she was talking about creating Prism and she said something along the lines of "I felt that 90s dance was coming back, which is how Walking On Air came to be," and that is precisely why I can't really respect her in the same vein as some other people in pop, because she operates mostly on what people want to hear. Rihanna's further away from that mindset I think, but up until now she's been meticulous about her material to reflect radio trends, with the exception of a few singles that also happened to be her best. I think Rihanna has more potential to create irreverent/inventive music than Katy so I'd like to see her go for it.

And even if she is stalling because of Adele, it's probably her meeting the label halfway by trying to maximize sales, but it doesn't mean ANTi was designed purely for radio hits. I also don't doubt that ANTi will be compared to 25 on the charts and will lend itself to bad press for Rihanna regardless of how much fewer it sells than Adele's album. I still think ANTi will be a bold album that might have some hit singles, but won't be oriented toward radio success. I think that's what she needs to go for, anyway.

In all seriousness, I do respect when a pop star chases her passion musically versus being mindful of popular trends and trying to stay ahead of it. It shows artistic autonomy and that the singer has matured past the point of living to be popular. It's also bold because they're under much more pressure to strive for #1s than smaller artists might be, because there's more to lose for them. I think Rihanna's moving to that place, and though I'm not sure what the cause of her delays have been (I've heard it's producers' schedules, Q4 sales pressure, song reshuffling, etc.), I still think we can expect ANTi to drop any day now.

I think back to that comment Katy Perry made when she was talking about creating Prism and she said something along the lines of "I felt that 90s dance was coming back, which is how Walking On Air came to be," and that is precisely why I can't really respect her in the same vein as some other people in pop, because she operates mostly on what people want to hear. Rihanna's further away from that mindset I think, but up until now she's been meticulous about her material to reflect radio trends, with the exception of a few singles that also happened to be her best. I think Rihanna has more potential to create irreverent/inventive music than Katy so I'd like to see her go for it.

And even if she is stalling because of Adele, it's probably her meeting the label halfway by trying to maximize sales, but it doesn't mean ANTi was designed purely for radio hits. I also don't doubt that ANTi will be compared to 25 on the charts and will lend itself to bad press for Rihanna regardless of how much fewer it sells than Adele's album. I still think ANTi will be a bold album that might have some hit singles, but won't be oriented toward radio success. I think that's what she needs to go for, anyway.

As frustrating and weird this era has been I have to agree. I feel that's what is happening as well, Katy doesn't seem to have much artistic integrity compared to Rihanna.

Prism was going to be something else entirely but instead went for the safe route.

I read Adele's Rolling Stone interview and I find myself really liking her as a person. She's just completely down to earth, uncensored, and doesn't go for all that vacuous celeb trash.

I fucking hate her.

f913ea5e50.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I read Adele's Rolling Stone interview and I find myself really liking her as a person. She's just completely down to earth, uncensored, and doesn't go for all that vacuous celeb trash.

I fucking hate her.

f913ea5e50.gif

wait the interview is out?

Floridian

ATRL meltdowns are funny are read. Not sure what Rih is doing but she needs to speak up for herself soon. Publications keep making these silly guesses on when she's releasing.

Vazra

ATRL meltdowns are funny are read. Not sure what Rih is doing but she needs to speak up for herself soon. Publications keep making these silly guesses on when she's releasing.

Im too lazy to take pics of twitter but ya'll saw some Instagram and ATRL stuff. She needs to get her shit together.

سوف ريهانا العودة. تحتاج إلى تحذير كل من المفضلة لديك.
SMHhoKX.gif

Vazra

SMHhoKX.gif

ليس حقا

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Another Ellie song

Don't Need Nobody

It's good. Delirium is shaping up to be her best album.

I need to stop listening to all the tracks she's releasing but this is so good
this album is going to be my everything

she's on radio1 today at some point performing five new tracks from the album too, I think on Annie Mac's show (starts at 7PM)

Matt_

ok the latest episode of scream queens needs to be giffed
ariana in an open coffin with flowers being put on her? given the fact focus is flopping it is a GIFT

Vazduh

The Flop

Banned
SMHhoKX.gif

تمت زيارتها الوئام الخامس في السنة أكبر من جسمها .

EDIT: apparently google translate sucks...

Vazra

Fire in the hole
When you touch me down there
I am feeling very well
Why don't you hold it right there?
Fire in the hole
When you're coming down there

END ME Brown Eyed Girls!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom