• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF OT 14: The Alpha and The Omega

Status
Not open for further replies.
*waves* a pleasure. Love you all no matter who you're here for. :) My pop-centric top 5:

-Mariah Carey's glorious reign from "Fantasy" through "My All". There was no queen like Queen Mariah, before the Lord called that sovereign lady back to His side.
-Robyn, along with other hard-to-pronounce but excellent Northern European delights like iamamiwhoami and Tove Lo (Lady Wood was great pop: fast and to the point).
-Nina Simone, with that timeless, fierce mix of love ("Don't Explain", "I Put A Spell On You") and angry, righteous politics ("Mississippi Goddamn"). Filth Travesty/Tr*mp fans need not apply.
-Tegan and Sara, all killer no filler well-crafted pop. Didn't see that coming when they were first on the scene!
-Either Beyoncé for self-titled and Lemonade, or Solange for A Seat at the Table. Depends on whether I'm tolerant of Bey breathing into the microphone too much or not.

And finally, whichever poster was slaying me with those GIFs of Gillian Anderson as Stella Gibson from The Fall. Our generation's ice princess George Smiley. But why didn't they give us Jamie Dornan undies photos to even it out?

Outside of pop or outside of the Top 5 but still near and dear to my headphones: Massive Attack's creeping soundtrack for nights on empty streets, Gorillaz for the same, The Smashing Pumpkins for when I want to remember high school (right now, I don't), Maxwell's smooth-ass R&B for when I want to remember college (I do), Sade's ice princess greatness, Hot Chip for awkward dance parties,

And Lady Gaga's The Fame Monster, before she got too far into her own damn head. if you're going to make good pop, don't waste my time. Get in, slay me, get out.

Welcome! You have some excellent taste, slay! Also appreciate the shout out to Kweens Tegan and Sara. Let them know!

0xdzNZK.gif

Their last two ablums didn't even get half the success they deserve.

Frodo

Miley's new song is... okay? It's not totally offensive.

Apart from it targeting the Trump demographics, of course.

DOWN

Banned
Little Mons†er;236475084 said:
SAMSUNG endorses the song though by using it in their new ad. Slay!

and in more of your daily GodGa news, a new snippet has leaked for a song called 'Heal Me'

Gaga cuming to get ha PhD in medicine, when will your faves?

giphy.gif
I feel like POPgaf doesn't appreciate how much Gaga emulated good old rock sound with several songs on Joanne. Just Another Day sounds a bit Beatles and it's quite nice... but I also must ask why that commercial has 3 million views

I feel like POPgaf doesn't appreciate how much Gaga emulated good old rock sound with several songs on Joanne. Just Another Day sounds a bit Beatles and it's quite nice... but I also must ask why that commercial has 3 million views
Eh she's done this before with Speechless, except in that song there's electric guitar. I don't particularly find any of those Beatles-esque songs all that good. Just because it reminds you of The Beatles, doesn't make it good. I highly suspect that emulating that sound with the simple drum beat and piano accompaniment is simple as fuck.

just my 2 cents off course.

Eh she's done this before with Speechless, except in that song there's electric guitar. I don't particularly find any of those Beatles-esque songs all that good. Just because it reminds you of The Beatles, doesn't make it good. I highly suspect that emulating that sound with the simple drum beat and piano accompaniment is simple as fuck.

just my 2 cents off course.

I feel like I've heard really really bad classic rock emulation though. Just because the production is simple doesn't mean that sound is easy to execute. The composition (specifically the melody) needs to be top notch coz that's carrying all the weight. I feel like Gaga's melody writing is really underrated. Just Another Day sounds like it was plucked straight out of 60s radio. I know most people want her to stick to regular pop, but I'd love for her to explore those classic rock vibes a little more. Come To Mama and JAD are my faves on Joanne.

EDIT: Charli XCX Album most likely coming Spring 2018. FUCKING CHRIST
I don't even know what the fuck Atlantic is doing to Charli's career.

The same interview also talks about the sadder aspect of trying to be a big pop act now:
It has sometimes seemed like you'd rather be an independent artist. Is that the case?

No, definitely not right now, and I don't think ever. The issue with me is I've got a constant flow of ideas that need financing basically, and if I was independent I would have to spend just as much time creating those finances and thinking of new ideas. I know that really works for some people...I'm sure I could handle it as an independent artist. But right now I'm happy being a team with my label.

Her music appeals to more musically-knowledgeable folks, but it doesn't translate to great sales so I'd imagine all Atlantic wants is one "Boom Clap" off of an album which is very blatantly not supposed to have those big pop tracks.

EDIT:Also, this Calvin Harris track is quite nice.

Lo-Volt

Welcome! You have some excellent taste, slay! Also appreciate the shout out to Kweens Tegan and Sara. Let them know!

0xdzNZK.gif

Their last two ablums didn't even get half the success they deserve.

I was so astonished. The power and juxtaposition of "That Girl". The sound of glittering synth as they go into the chorus? I want a mad queen to be crowned to that song.
Or the newly-inaugurated President Hillary Clinton after this alternate timeline is erased from the universe.

DOWN

Banned
Still no sign of a "song of the summer"

I hope one of the new Calvin Harris songs is a bop

Or maybe Katy will have another accidental Dark Horse mess where she doesn't think it will be a single but then iTunes Charts make them do a 180 and say it will be a single

Or we could get lucky with a Demi / Max Martin reunion For The Summer

03-LJYTh6o-1437681768.gif

llehuty

Are Pop Lyrics Getting More Repetitive?

This thesis results are so interesting. And I know some of you are going to use it as ammunition to drag one another.

Some tidbits

People have described 1989 as the album where Taylor Swift fully transitioned from country singer/songwriter to popstar. This data adds some flavour to that claim. 4 of her 5 most repetitive songs are from 1989.

Is it any wonder Rihanna won the title of most repetitive artist in the dataset? Over half a dozen of her songs sit on the far right of the distribution (including, appropriately, Pon de Replay).

[Verse 2]
Carry me off stage
Had too much to drink
Been on tour too long
And I've had too much time to think

[Pre-Chorus 2]
Carry me to my bed, lay me in a pillow town
Kiss me on my head
And remind me of the way we were not know

4df9511f8a22e973668a472e59255499.gif

[Chorus]
I wish I was your girl
I wish I was your girl
I wish I was your girl
Ah
I wish I was your girl
I wish I was your girl
I wish I was your girl
Ah

[Bridge]
Late at night, baby you're my sign
Call me late if you wanna get high
Late at night, laying in Versailles
You and I get to know one another

Late at night, baby you're my sign
Call me late if you wanna get high
Late at night, baby you and I
Can get to know one another

her unreleased shit is always such a slay

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
IF any of you are struggling to sleep may I suggest harry styles' new album
zzzzzzz

Vazduh

It's about her being objectified as a piece of meat (literally and figuratively) and then ultimately turning the tables on the people who were about to ~consume~ her.

Do I just not see the metaphor or message? Or is there not one? What a weird ass video

She always does the most painfully literal interpretation of her lyrics it's so weird. "Roar" had her roaring in a jungle, and "Rise" had her fighting a parachute so that she could physically rise. Not terribly surprised that this video is 4 minutes of her being prepared for a meal. lol

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Mau ®;236643045 said:
Like Vazra said, it's a cute listen while driving in the car but certainly ain't on "Brand New Eyes" level.

Its no Brand New Eyes, Self Titled or Riot. The album is half good and the other half is like not offensive by any means but forgettable.

Zutroy

Malibu is pretty great. Miley delivered with a happy but chilled bop!

P.S. you should listen to the second half of switched on pops latest podcast for an insight into Charlie XCX's label if she interests you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom