• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT2| Oops!... We Did It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
Botty has a point if he's strictly referring to Kalamity.

ibpH0MZN0MsIF7.gif

and three other songs

royalan

But you said this argument started from a claim of deflection. It did not, so I don't understand where we're ending up now.

ijd2aXqx7R5W.gif

It did not? But am I wrong in assuming that your belief that I was wrongfully deflecting shade at Gaga fuel your position in this argument, even if you didn't actually use the word itself until a few posts later? Because that's what I began to think right about here. If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

Koodo

Banned
It did not? But am I wrong in assuming that your belief that I was wrongfully deflecting shade at Gaga fuel your position in this argument, even if you didn't actually use the word itself until a few posts later? Because that's what I began to think right about here. If I'm wrong I'm wrong.
I actually thought about this... and no.

ijd2aXqx7R5W.gif

Nemesis_

I'm putting this here so I have an easy list that I've written (that hasn't been quoted) to refer too ;_;

• Club de Mandinga by Mandinga for BLADENIC (* * *)
  • QUADRON by Quadron for JO SHISEIDO'S CHEEKS
  • Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded [Deluxe] by Nicki Minaj for MARIUS_
  • Tangled Up by Girls Aloud for GODELSMETRIC
  • Vows by Kimbra for TRIGGER
  • The ArchAndroid by Janelle Monae for CRUMPET
  • Born To Die [Deluxe] by Lana Del Rey for AGUILA
  • janice. by Janet Jackson for ICICLE

FEEL FREE to ADD as you WISH.

EDIT: Just realised I own VOWS but it's not the international version that released a year later. ;_;

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Isn't the main guy supposed to be a descendant of Francis Drake?

I suppose that explains why he's All American.

Nemesis_

I have a CHALLENGE to SPICE THINGS UP or POPGAF maybe since this thread is full of nothign but shade at this point ;_;

ALL OF YOU could nominate ONE ALBUM from UR FAVE for me to LISTEN IN FULL to and REVIEW.

I will do it as quickly as possible and will be HONEST, OPEN and SUBJECTIVE.

L4RZJ.jpg

RECEIPTS
When I first heard Buster Keaton, I actually thought that it sounded slightly familiar, but then I realised it really wasn't. It kind of reminds me of what a track would sound like if Kimbra and Kate Miller-Heidke (an Australian who has failed to break through ANYWHERE) were to collaborate on a song. The soft spoken vocals aren't, honestly, my cup of tea. The speaking interludes in this song also remind me of Ed Sharpe's "Home". The production is incredibly smooth and I love the soulful voice in this one.

I actually didn't realise how much of a Soul record this was, and the uplifting vocals in Slippin continue to surprise me. Not that I had any expectations going in though I was expecting a more electronic album. I really like this song though for some reason, you can't help but feel happy when you listen to it ;_; The clip is LOL.

I really love the jazzy feel that Day has in it's intro and the general ambient feel of this track, which also gives me Massive Attack teas. Despite this I do find it a little bit too sombre and I lost interest in it quite fast. It's not a track I would be scrambling back to listen to.

What a funky opening to Jeans! The whole track sounds like a soulful throwback to the roaring 60s. I really like it, despite this kind of thing commonly not being my thing. I think songs like these are really what define "groove" tbh especially with this constant sax riffing *O*

Pressure - more 60s throwbacks! I love the use of what I think is piano in this track, it makes it just a little bit more catchy. Like Slippin, you listen to this kind of music and it just makes you a little bit happier.

Reducing the tempo to what I can only describe as a Jessie Ware-esque piece of work, Horse seems to really scale back the production and provide nearly raw vocals and fluidly combined instruments to create something quite beautiful. I really liked this track and it is potentially my most favourite on the album.

Average Fruit seems to strike a balance between the slow, downbeat ambient noise and just enough production to create something that isn't too boring. The vocals in this track, in particular, are soft enough - with all the raises in tones being well controlled and not BELTING, which is nice.

Unpatience is another nice down tempo track, but it doesn't do heaps for me. Not bad, not amazing. Just middleground tbh.

Far Cry was and is the first point where I started to notice how similar these songs all sound and it quite frankly got a little bit tiring to listen to this album. I appreciate all these ambient tracks, but they do all sound a little bit too similar.

Tone is another down tempo track, but this time it feels a little bit like an interlude rather than a full fledged song. It does give me these kind of Bob Marley / Reggae esque teas though, which is a nice change of TONE (lol) for this album thus far.

Simili Life sounds like lounge music crossed with Final Fantasy music. Not particularly a fan personally but it sounds okay.

Seems fitting that the only track which is really slow that I like, Herfra Hvor VI Star doesn't seem to be in English. ;_; This "sounds" good but I have absolutely no idea what the song is about, so I guess that's all I can say about that one.

AEzQ5.jpg

Generally speaking, this album gives me really heavy Kimbra teas, though this is more of a soulful record than Kimbra's Vows with a bit of a slower pace. I can see myself returning to several of these tracks definitely, but I personally don't know whether or not I would be bothered buying the album. I understand the appeal, but there's only so much of this slower, down tempo music I can take before I get bored and fall asleep. ;_; I can say this of any artist who makes music like this, not just Quadron, but I noticed it particularly with this album which I personally feel is just one song too long.

COMING UP NEXT:

61KdLV24URL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded [Deluxe] for FlatAss_

SaintZ

I'm putting this here so I have an easy list that I've written (that hasn't been quoted) to refer too ;_;

• Club de Mandinga by Mandinga for BLADENIC (* * *)
  • QUADRON by Quadron for JO SHISEIDO'S CHEEKS
  • Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded [Deluxe] by Nicki Minaj for MARIUS_
  • Tangled Up by Girls Aloud for GODELSMETRIC
  • Vows by Kimbra for TRIGGER
  • The ArchAndroid by Janelle Monae for CRUMPET
  • Born To Die [Deluxe] by Lana Del Rey for AGUILA
  • janice. by Janet Jackson for ICICLE

FEEL FREE to ADD as you WISH.
47xmj.jpg

Lenka by Lenka.

Status
Not open for further replies.